Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys

Saturday, October 19th, 2019 8:02PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 16,583

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys

While Optimus prime may be the most popular Transformer of all time, I always felt Prowl had the archetypal look. He is the quintessential car bot, a car turning into a robot where the car hood ends up as the robot's chest. However, with such a typical design, this list was rather vanilla at first, with similar looking toys all transforming similarly and getting incrementally closer to the character model over time. But that's because I was just thinking of Prowl's G1 design and as soon as I thought outside the box, writing this list became a hoot! Now let's get to it.

5. Transformers Robots In Disguise Prowl (Mach Alert)

The Lamborghini is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) alt mode a Transformer can have. And with prowl being the quintessential carbot, giving him the alt mode of the coolest car is just awesome. RID was a time of going back to the basics of cars transforming into robots but for a new century (literally) and audience, with new designs and transformations. This Prowl toy achieves all of that by giving us something that I don' think any of us will forget.

4. Transformers Generations Siege Prowl/Combiner Wars Prowl

I find these two toys far too vanilla to separate. I find them both better than the Universe mold, on account of the head sculpt alone, but when it comes to comparing the two they each have their pros and cons and neither really stand out among the other toys either on this list or on the pegs. They both make very good Prowls for a classics collection. I like the overall look of the Combiner Wars toy, especially the head and alt mode, along with the added fun that it combines. At the same time though, I like the use of the real front of the car for the chest of Siege Prowl and while the car mode isn't my favourite, I do like the tech detail on the clear plastic. They both get the job done for a classics display and you get two great looking choices, which is more than other established characters can say.

3. Transformers Beast Wars Prowl

Many G1 names resurfaced in Beast Wars as totally new characters (ie. Scorponok, Rampage, Silverbolt) with no relation to their G1 namesake. Prowl is an exception to that, with his toy bio referencing "another life" and his skills centering around analysis and reliance on logic. So he's Prowl, but in Beast Wars, awesome! Plus he turns into an owl, has a cybernetic eye and is an excellent toy with an original design, as was customary for all those great Transmetal II toys.

2. Transformers Masterpiece Prowl

I really love this era of Masterpiece toys where they idea was building off of the original toy/transformation but updating it with all the design advancements acquired since. And turning that into both an accurate portrayal of this beloved character as he appeared in the cartoon while also incorporating real world elements from a realistic alt mode. I personally prefer feet on my Transformers, but it's Prowl's thing not to have any so I can see why the priority here would be to give us the familiar design rather than reinventing his looks.

1. Transformers Animated Prowl Gallery

As great as the MP is, I must say I love this toy even more. I am just a sucker for originality in this brand and in Animated, the designers went all out. We still have Prowl at this core, and we still have the police theme, but it's just taken somewhere else (and, personally, somewhere better). This is one of the best Transformer Toy design out there with a sleek robot mode full of personality that turns into a beautiful bicycle. He also has a Japanese theme going on where on one toy the wheel centers become throwing stars and on another toy the sidecar becomes a samurai armour. Plus he has great articulation to go with his slender physique and, as with many animated toys, the fact that they were able to replicate such an exaggerated style into a physical and transforming toy will forever be one of the brand's greatest achievements.

Transformers Animated Prowl Gallery

Transformers Animated Samurai Prowl Gallery

Honourable Mention: Transformers G1 1984 Prowl

As I wrote in the intro, this is the toy that started it all. It is the quintessential Transformer toy and a design that lives on to this day. It cannot be ignored in the conversation of the best Prowl toys the brand has given us.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042402)
Posted by Ironhidensh on October 19th, 2019 @ 8:18pm CDT
Not bad.

Take Siege and Beast wars out of the list, though.

Throw Siege in the trash, place BW on a shelf of honor. Replace them with Alternators/Binaltech and G1, respectively.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042413)
Posted by Flashwave on October 19th, 2019 @ 10:19pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:Not bad.

Take Siege and Beast wars out of the list, though.

Absolutely agree on Alternators Prowl.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042414)
Posted by Ultra Markus on October 19th, 2019 @ 10:30pm CDT
I would put energon prowl or cyberverse over RID prowl
I hated that mold
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042415)
Posted by Stargrave on October 19th, 2019 @ 11:43pm CDT
Animated Prowl woot woooot!! Great call dude!

Thank you for adding the freakish head spinning BW Transmetal Prowl but dude, no Magnaboss Prowl? :lol: And Energon Prowl instead of Siege Prowl? Oh come on you need to play with that Energon Prowl again before you say that :lol: worst spindly legs combined mode in the whole line come on now.

Siege Prowl is just as good and fun as CW Prowl. He's not perfect, I concede that, I mean if he had shoulder rockets I don't think half as many people would complain about him. I know that's my issue, but worse than Energon Prowl? E-gads, agree to disagree.

Thanks for a top five of my favorite AutoSpock :APPLAUSE: ;)^
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042416)
Posted by Stargrave on October 19th, 2019 @ 11:47pm CDT

Great call to the noble William-James.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042417)
Posted by TulioDude on October 20th, 2019 @ 12:41am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042425)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on October 20th, 2019 @ 6:30am CDT
The first time a Masterpiece figure has lost out on the top spot, I believe?

An interesting list and although I've never been all that invested in the character, I'd certainly agree with the number one. Also kudos for the PrOwl acknowledgement! He was one of the first TM 2 toys I saw before Season 3 premiered, that made me think they were really going to take the ending to The Agenda in that "dystopian alternate reality" angle. Alas they didn't and the only owl-bot fell into obscurity.

It is a shame this guy never made it out though.

Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042430)
Posted by william-james88 on October 20th, 2019 @ 8:16am CDT
Stargrave wrote:Love it. Animated Prowl is flipping all around my imagination now. Those removeable throwing stars, the articulation, the adherence to the stylized Animated design, the way they pulled off the motorcycle mode, a streamlined alt mode and a nigh-kibbleless robot mode, just brilliant. So totally one of my favorite Animated figures. One of my favorite Transformers figures overall that still gives me joy and pause to Transform him when I happen upon him in the collection.

Great call to the noble William-James.

Haha, thanks man ;)^

TulioDude wrote:I would put the Transformers Prime toy in the list,he is a combination of all preious Prowls!

I am not a big fan of that mold, it's rather clumsy in design. Plus there's that fake chest. Though interesting that it does keep the theme of smokescreen and prowl being the same mold.

And as for Energon and Alternators Prowl, I will just put the pics here in case people don't know those. They are terrible looking toys in my opinion. I really hate the proportions on Alternators Prowl with that atrocious chest, and I was dissapointed by Energon Prowl from the get go.

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The first time a Masterpiece figure has lost out on the top spot, I believe?

It happens a lot. Happened with the seekers, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, just to name a few. And I am working on a best Movie Optimus toys and the MP isn't even on the list.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042433)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on October 20th, 2019 @ 8:25am CDT
Energon Prowl looks more like Mirage :???:
Also, I thought MP Ultra Magnus was supposed to be one of the best ones?
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042440)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 20th, 2019 @ 10:08am CDT
HA! Animated Prowl tops all!

Pretty good list, no real arguments from me
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042449)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on October 20th, 2019 @ 11:26am CDT
Don't know why the hate on the siege Prowl though..
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042453)
Posted by william-james88 on October 20th, 2019 @ 11:33am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Energon Prowl looks more like Mirage :???:
Also, I thought MP Ultra Magnus was supposed to be one of the best ones?

He isnt, at least not in my opinion. I finally sold mine and even though I maybe lost 20$ on it, I much preffee having some more space and cash than that toy.

And yes, Energon was a 20th anniversary line so most toys were a G1 homage. Prowl was a Mirage homage.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042459)
Posted by Bucky on October 20th, 2019 @ 11:50am CDT
Got super excited to see BW TM2 Prowl on there, and Animated Prowl topping the list. I never actually realized how excellent Prowls G1 figure looks. I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to look at him. Really makes me want to track one down,
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042462)
Posted by Black Hat on October 20th, 2019 @ 12:28pm CDT
RID Prowl is still on my want list, he's just such a cool looking toy. Awesome car mode, nice robot mode, lovely detailing, just a whole lot of win.

CW Prowl is IMO severely underrated. Whilst I don't have him I do have a version of that mold (Flowspade) and it's a solid figure, and the Prowl version looks great. Cool colours, nice headsculpt and he wears the proportions nicely.

Siege Prowl I have mixed feelings on. The robot mode seems a bit weak somehow but I really like how the car mode looks, it's wonderfully sleek and curvy, and very reminiscent of the OG Datsun Fairlady.

Owl Prowl was a surprise, but a pleasant one. Never handled him myself but he does look great.

MP Prowl (the OG with the nice police decals and whatnot) is IMO one of the prettiest looking MPs there is. Definitely on my bucket list once I've got my collection sorted out.

Animated Prowl definitely deserves the #1 spot though. Possibly the cream of the Animated line, which was already an outstanding toyline.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042466)
Posted by Cobotron on October 20th, 2019 @ 1:00pm CDT
The best Prowl? Why it's Bluestreak of course! :lol: :lol:

Bluestreak is my all time favorite guy, and I have a chip on my shoulder about Prowl always stealing the spotlight from the cooler brother. But because I love the Datsun mold so much, I tolerate Prowl, Knowing Bluestreak will most likely never see the light of day, or be relegated to exclusives or something similar.

That being said, My list would be:

5. RID Prowl - Because all those RID toys were amazing, and brought with them an energy and excitement that carried over so well from Beast Wars.
4. Combiner Wars - Like Will said, that head sculpt. Also maybe one of my favorite black and white decos.
3. TM2 PrOWL - Because Owl, and because Beast Wars
2. Masterpiece - Because it can doo all the things I wanted the G1 toy to do for real, and not just in my Imagination.
1. G1 Prowl - Because this toy started it all for me. Of course the toy was Bluestreak. But the G1/Diaclone Datsun Fairlady Z mold started me down this path I am still on 35+ years later. Thanks Old Man! ;)^

I might even find room in there somewhere for Prime Cyberverse Legion Prowl. I like that this mold take the neat character design from that era and conforms it to a more traditional transformation for the character.
Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Prowl Gallery

Heck! I'd even put RtS Legion Prowl up for nomination!
Transformers Reveal The Shield Prowl Gallery

Just because Legions are small and simple toys does not mean they can't be good, cool, and fun. Remember that kids! :lol:

Also, on the Alternators note, I was disappointed that Prowl wasn't simply done in the Subaru mold his brothers were done in. If he had, he would have made it into my top 5. That Subaru mold may be #1 on my top 5 Alternators list.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042486)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on October 20th, 2019 @ 4:16pm CDT
No real arguments from me on this list. And yeah, I never liked Alternators Prowl. I sold most of my Alternators toys recently, and I don't miss them.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042490)
Posted by Burn on October 20th, 2019 @ 5:39pm CDT
Alternators Prowl is one of the best of the Alternators, would put him on this list well ahead of Beast Wars Prowl whose wings are an absolute pain in the arse.

Energon Prowl is okay, but a better representation is the S.W.A.T. Team repaint and he looks great combined with his box buddy Checkpoint.
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042494)
Posted by bvzxa on October 20th, 2019 @ 8:15pm CDT
No love for Classics Prowl?
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042498)
Posted by william-james88 on October 20th, 2019 @ 9:30pm CDT
bvzxa wrote:No love for Classics Prowl?

Where would he fit on your list?
Re: Top 5 Best Prowl Transformers Toys (2042501)
Posted by william-james88 on October 20th, 2019 @ 10:34pm CDT
Cobotron wrote:The best Prowl? Why it's Bluestreak of course! :lol: :lol:

This gives me a great idea, how about you and I get working on a Top 5 Bluestreak Toys? It would be fun how it would differ from this list, like having the Alternators instead and such.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #234 - Hell in a Cel
"Hell in a Cel"
Posted: Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Generations 30 year Armada Starscream MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Servo the Dog Robot" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro - TRANSFORMERS - Playskool Heroes - RESCUE BOTS - Rescan - BUMBLEBEE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Cyberverse Bumblebee vs Soundwave, w/ Rodimus" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots 2PK Fireplug Swift Cheetah-Bot Figures Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Botcon 2015 Burn Out" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Movie Premier Edition Raptor Figure - Dinobot Slash" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots In Disguise Deluxe Autobot HOT SHOT MOC NEW Series 1" on EBAY