Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys

Saturday, July 9th, 2016 7:45AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 60,043

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Scout / Legends Class Transformers

The next two lists will be focusing on the little guys. We will start with the Scout/Legends class, which is one of the more awesome classes in Transformers history. What is important about this class is how it had characters you wouldn’t find in any other size. These weren’t the Legion or Cyberverse version of a character. These were full fledged characters that had a class of their own and whose detail and complexity was meant to be proportional to the larger bots they scaled with. Due to the lower price point and lesser resources allotted to them, designers were pushed to making the most of this class so that these toys could pose right next to the more expensive and bigger toys that they scaled with. The idea of beauty intertwined with simplicity is in full force in this class and I am glad the Generations line still has a place for it even though it might have changed name (they are currently called Legends as of 2013), and I really felt like celebrating these little guys. This shouldn't be confused with the even smaller class which has been called Legends/Cyberverse/Legion, which is more focused on repeating mainline characters at a smaller scale. We will cover those in two weeks!

5. Transformers Cybertron Scrapmetal (Ramble)

The Cybertron/Galaxy Force line had one of the best scout class lines ever. These guys were highly detailed and had transformations almost as complex as the deluxe class (definitely more complex than Thunderblast) and getting all this at that price point was awesome. My favourite of the bunch was Scrap Metal, and this was even before I learnt of the homage to the G1 cassettes. I just love how he looks in robot mode. He also has perfect articulation, any alt mode kibble is integrated into his limbs and chest and his weapon looks immense while bearing no impact on this stance (good job guys!). He also has a very intriguing alt mode that looks like a four legged mechanical insect (spider or ant), that looks like something an evil scientist would create and shrink down to invade the blood stream. And he comes in a bunch of colors for some fun troop building.

4. Transformers Generations Cosmos and Blackjack

I think these two are the best examples to show how the Legends class can be a decent successor to the Scout class that came before. This class is comparatively complex, detailed and posable as the deluxe class, and bordering on the same height as the Scout Class of old:

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys

For Cosmos, I am so very impressed with the robot mode they were able to pull off given the Adamski UFO alt mode (if anyone was curious, that’s why he’s called “Adams” in japan). It is leagues beyond what the engineers were able to come up with before and, regardless of scale, this is a mini masterpiece Cosmos to me.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys

As for Blackjack, I am just so impressed with how original the transformation is. You would think that after 30 years, we would have seen it all, but this little dude just struts along with a novel way to end up with the back half of his roof as his chest (homaging both the Black Jack Micromaster as well as the far more similar looking Battlechangers simultaneously!). All this while being fully concealed in a super sleek vehicle mode, even when looking underneath it, and with perfect ball jointed articulation.

3. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Skystalker

Skystalker is as good as people say he is and that is a huge endorsement. Before I got hi, I thought he’d be overhyped. But no, its a great small package. I really like his head sculpt, its perfectly decepticon-like, and he has loads of play options for a scout. He can combine with Mindwipe (though it’s not as elegant as I thought it would be) and he has two intricately shaped c clip weapons integrated which you can apply to other transformers like Deluxe Warpath and Darkmount. What I like best about him though is how he proves that the movie aesthetic can actually work since he (and Mindwipe) have very accomplished and realistic vehicle modes that work well with the robot mode.

2. Transformers Hunt For The Decepticons Breacher

Speaking of mini masterpieces earlier, I give you HFTD Breacher. When I first saw a picture of the figure, I could not wrap my head around the fact that it was a scout class figure. It looked (and turned out being) as intricate, detailed and complex as any other deluxe or voyager TF. The fact that he has so many panels and parts for a smaller toy does make him refreshingly challenging too. And that headsculpt is a perfect culmination of the transformers brand at that point, incorporating the highly detailed aspects of the film while still being classic rather than overly alien. Add to that the interaction with HFTD Seaspray as well as the C clip weapon and you just can’t go wrong. He would have been number one, but I couldn’t ignore the originality of the next pick.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Energon Divebomb (Shadowhawk)

As much as I would want to bash some toys from the Energon line, this is where the Scouts first started gathering the legendary status they now have today (which I hope won’t be forgotten, hoping this article can help). I did not collect the energon line when it came out so many of the toys on this list were acquired just months apart, and I can say without nostalgia clouding my mind, that this early example of the Scout class is still the best one we ever got. It’s all about how simple yet imaginative it is. Firstly, the bird mode is great with its headscuplt, the expanding wings and even the neat little tail section. What blows my mind is how these three sections end up becoming, respectively, the hands, the legs and the head. That’s right, even though all his robot bits are exposed in alt mode, you wouldn’t know it was them. And yet they totally fit the bill in robot mode. The legs are massive and imposing and the hands have a great grip for the energon weapons these scouts were known to have. The leg transformation is brilliant and I have never seen it replicated elsewhere. Terradive, another favourite, does have jet wings that end up at his legs but not AS his legs. Divebomb ends up being unique then, with two modes that are accomplished and unique, even though they use the same parts, thus giving him full alt mode integration and no kibble in either mode. This toy is a stroke of genius.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: Oh way too many, so please let me know in the comments who you guys like best (you can access it by clicking on "View discussion"). The Energon, Cybertron and Revenge of the Fallen line had such strong Scout Class toys. As much as the movie aesthetic and toys might get a bad rap, this is something they did right. It also helps that the scouts from the first movie line were borrowed from the Cybertron line ;)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804173)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 9th, 2016 @ 8:30am CDT
Wooooo! Scouts!

Skystalker is my absolute favorite TF toy, I even bought the Sunspot repaint (who I gave an alternate head transformation to).

RotF Scouts were both well done (except for the Doctor...) and had an amazing variety of unusual alt modes. We had a bi-plane (Ransack), a 30s car (Hubcap), a forklift (Dirtboss), a chopper motorcycle (Brimstone), a stealth boat (Depth Charge), and even a flipping TOASTER (Ejector)!

I'll always have a soft spot for my childhood toys, Terrorgator and Buzzclaw. Their fellow Predacon Fuzor Quickstrike is pretty amazing, I don't think you could possibly improve on him.

Cosmos is great, though he needs a bit more weight in his 'boots' and for his head to be cast in red instead of just being painted that color - the transformation guarantees it'll get chipped.
Shockwave and the Insecticons are good, too.

I kinda want to mention some PCCs, but I think they already got their own list? Or at least they get brought up a lot in other threads.

I also want to bring up HA Basics, but I don't think they're quite on the same level as the other Scounts. Still, Icepick and Tailpipe were good. And the weapon modes lent themselves to all sorts of shenanigans:
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804177)
Posted by steals_your_goats on July 9th, 2016 @ 8:42am CDT
Ooh how I love scout/legend figures. Super happy to see breacher on here because he is phenomenal. Personally I'd say that Sunspot is better than Skystalker, mostly because that's the one I got, but his bright white and yellow colors are so much fun and he's still somehow a decepticon.

My personal top five from my own collection are (in no order):
Breacher
Fire Trap
Sunspot
Hatchet
Blackjack

Easy runner ups though are dirt boss (that forklift alt is perfect), botcon reflector and combiner wars huffer.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804188)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 9th, 2016 @ 9:37am CDT
I was worried there for a moment will, I was getting ready to message in anger that you had forgotten all about the energon scouts :-P but I get to number 1# and all is right with the world :-D

Divebomb is simply fantastic, he's one of my favourites to get off the shelf and mess around with and I'm highly tempted to get more and give him a flock or a murder

Great list will, especially on a hard topic like this with many choices to sort through.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804194)
Posted by MaverickPrime on July 9th, 2016 @ 10:09am CDT
Just a top 5? C'mon Will, this deserved at least a top 10! : P
A good list(I assume Shockwave is out due to being a small scale version of a big character), but…how could you leave out Beast Wars entirely? My all-time favorite is and will always be my very first, Claw Jaw :3
But yeah, ROTF and Energon had stellar Scout classes!
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804195)
Posted by Randomhero on July 9th, 2016 @ 10:11am CDT
As always a great list. My favorite for past few years has been the United two pack of rumble and frenzy but the cybertron scrap teal has a place in my heard because before we got that two pack, red scrap metal was my classics rumble.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804205)
Posted by Microraptor on July 9th, 2016 @ 10:49am CDT
I love scouts! But why no Windcharger? He was fantastic!
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804207)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 9th, 2016 @ 10:55am CDT

5. Shockwave/Reflector
4. Warpath
3. Powerglide
2. Rodimus/Blackjack (more so Rodimus, because of the colors)
1. Bombshell (best. legends toy. ever.)

Honorable mention: Legends Groove/Wreck-gar (for the extra function as a weapon/armor)

I must also note the I loved both the G1 Micromasters and the Armada Mini-Cons.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804232)
Posted by Randomhero on July 9th, 2016 @ 11:54am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:I've never been a fan of the smaller classes (don't dislike them, just never cared) until Combiner Wars. I really like the small figures that came in this line, so my list will be all CW.

5. Shockwave/Reflector
4. Warpath
3. Powerglide
2. Rodimus/Blackjack (more so Rodimus, because of the colors)
1. Bombshell (best. legends toy. ever.)

I must also note the I loved both the G1 Micromasters and the Armada Mini-Cons.

Minicons were seriously the best thing out the entire Unicron Trilogy. I bought every single one including repaints. I even bought the beat wars repaints mostly for the Minicons. I think that's why I like Titan Master so much. I love little guys that link up someway to bigger transformers
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804233)
Posted by TK415 on July 9th, 2016 @ 11:59am CDT
Cool list WJ. I look forward to reading it in-depth. I have been looking at WJ’s Master List for the Top 5 Best Tranformers Lists to see what is up-coming. This way I was able to work on my own list (as recommended by WJ in one of his posts) in order to contribute to the discussion.

Thanks WJ. So cool and fun!

1. Energon Skyblast
Fun, unique vehicle mode. Looks fast and powerful. Robot mode is fun and dynamic. Looks like he can hold his own against deluxes. I love the red and white color scheme. He could definitely be in the Jetfire family/team, but he looks like his own character as well because the robot and alt modes are very different from the Jetfire designs. Easy to transform but interesting. Solid and well built. Great figure.

Transformers Energon Skyblast (Air Glide) Gallery

Transformers Energon Skyblast (Air Glide) Gallery

2. DOTM Half-Track
Small, light, fast, and powerful. Smooth and Energetic. He looks and feels like what the FOC Jazz toy robot mode should have been. The head sculpt is cool: face, eyes, color. The helmet (or hair, if you accept that kind of thing in Transformers) has an angular and spiky look but at the same time is swept back and smooth.

When Half-Track is in robot mode the four wheels and his feet definitely look big and are not incorporated smoothly into the robot mode. There are bars and other vehicle parts that stick out. But these things could be seen as weapons, or armor, or shield generators, or sensors, or some other useful accessory.

He has a cool style. I love the blue and gray color design.
Dynamic and lots of energy in the figure. Very posable, great figure.

3. TFSS Eject and Rewind, and or Takara Rumble and Frenzy
Great detail. Great color application. Besides the tank treads, the robot modes are great, true to the characters and great updates.

For Rumble and and Frenzy it is a very cool way to integrate a classic ability while not making it a partformer. It created a bit of extra parts in the back but still a nice solution.

Transformers Subscription Service Rewind Gallery

Transformers Subscription Service Rewind Gallery

Transformers United Rumble Gallery

Transformers United Rumble Gallery

4. Battle Unicorn
He’s a unicorn! I know that G1 had monsterbots, and there were a few dragons. They were fun at the time, but they were blocky robots in the shape of monsters. G1 vehicle Transformers felt like actual vehicles that turned into robots. The monsterbots just looked like Transformers in the form of monsters. The original Dinobots are awesome and they look like robotic creatures. The Insecticons looked and seemed like alien or futuristic creatures. Beast Wars gave us convincing, elegant, smooth, metallic or furry creatures.

Meaning:
monsterbots look like Transformers that look like Transformers in their alt modes
Beast Wars look like Transformers that look like real creatures or metal creatures.

Battle Unicorn and his Universe repaint Magna Stampede are rough and tough figures. They are not light weights and look like they can hold their own. Spikes, weapons, abilities. Battle Unicorn is a black unicorn, with beautiful colors. Magna Stampede is a white unicorn with a great color design. Fantasy creature transformers are cool and the two unicorns are done right.

5. Skystalker repainted as Generations Laserbeak
Great jet mode, unique creepy robot mode. Great color scheme.
WJ wrote good things about him on the top 5 best visible head syndrome.
Like Breacher, Skystalker can connect with a voyager figure, Mindwipe.

Honorable mentions:

Breacher, nice integration/team work with another figure. Tough, nice design.

BW Transmetals –

Nightglider (Flying Squirrel), Stinkbomb (Skunk), Sonar (bat) and others. Great detail and articulation. Unique and cool looks and feel.

Transformers Beast Wars Nightglider Gallery

Transformers Beast Wars Nightglider Gallery

Transformers Beast Wars Stinkbomb Gallery

Transformers Beast Wars Stinkbomb Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804243)
Posted by Ultra Markus on July 9th, 2016 @ 1:05pm CDT
no scout class windcharger? come on man!
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804259)
Posted by SureShot18 on July 9th, 2016 @ 2:21pm CDT
Nice list Will! Can't say I really disagree with you. This just reminds me how I still need to get Breacher and Cosmos. I own Blackjack and Skystalker's repaint Sunspot. Both are great and Sunspot is one of my favorite movieformers. Firetrap is also one of my favorites and an excellent scout as well.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804269)
Posted by Black Hat on July 9th, 2016 @ 3:25pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804272)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on July 9th, 2016 @ 3:48pm CDT
Hm i had energon Divebomb found in a charity shop but after transforming it a couple times decided I didn't like and I sold it. I really disliked how chunky the wings were for one. Maybe if he'd has a better paintscheme too I may have liked it more.

I wish I hadn't sold Mindwipe and Skystalker though. As I said on a previous list I loved those and how they interacted without being forced to buy both. They are really not easy to get on eBay for sensible prices either.

Breacher is a great figure. Loved RotF Hubcap too. Also Scattorshot/Flak/Firetrap is a great mold too.

I'd like that Cosmos. Well, I'd like the Scrounge version but I'm not buying the Technobots just for that.

I'd add CW Powerglide. Ok so I have a knock off that's bigger in size but the real Hasbro version is still a beautifully done upgrade of one of my first ever Transformers figures.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804276)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on July 9th, 2016 @ 4:02pm CDT
I have all the guys on this list, except Cosmos and Blackjack. The rest are all excellent, and I agree that Divebomb is awesome!

Personally, my favorite scout/basic/legends class guys are

#5: Icepick (Human Alliance)
#4: Brimstone (Revenge of The Fallen)
#3: Quickstrike (Beast Wars)
#2: Ejector (Revenge of The Fallen)
#1: Smolder (Power Core Combiners)

Of course, this is just a list of the guys I own and currently have on display. I'm sure my list is mutable to include whichever one(s) I dig out of storage. I remember loving how stupid BW Bantor is.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804280)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 9th, 2016 @ 4:27pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:Superb list! And good to see Energon Divebomb on there at number 1. He's one hell of a toy, and easily the best birdformer ever.

I knew there was a reason I liked you
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804281)
Posted by Rainmaker on July 9th, 2016 @ 4:44pm CDT
Yay! Skystalker!

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804312)
Posted by LordTwann on July 9th, 2016 @ 10:26pm CDT
RTS Windcharger and RotF Ransack get my votes.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804316)
Posted by Emerje on July 9th, 2016 @ 11:48pm CDT
My list is completely different.

5) Beast Machines Scavenger

What's not to like? It's a vaguely dinosaur-like excavator of destruction with lots of weapons. Best of all the bot mode has ARTICULATED HANDS!! You just don't see stuff like that often at this size class. The chromed fingers were a nice touch and I'm glad they didn't go with Constructicon green on his figure. I actually like the little flip up eyes rather than a full head, it gives him a lot of character. To say he's one of the best Basics in BM isn't saying much, but he's still a really cool little figure.

4) Beast Wars Fuzors Buzzclaw

For me he's easily one of the funnest Beast Wars Basics around. I normally don't like translucent plastic, but it worked out well on the bug-ish figures of the time. The combination of colors and paint gave a lot of realism to Hasbro's imaginary abomination. Maybe it's just me, but he comes across as both cute and deadly. I love the wings and squeezing articulated mantis arms and somehow that whole section coming off the figure didn't take away any of my enjoyment at all. I've got a few of this figure, there's a reason why BotCon brought this mold back.

3) Transformers (2010)/United Windcharger and Wipe-Out

The last great Scout figure mold. Maybe not the most accurate character design in the world for Windcharger, but still a great mold. All three versions look great with the Hasbro and Takara Tomy versions of Windcharger both having negligible differences for a change. Wipe-Out does a great job of making the mold work for itself rather than just be a black Windcharger. Looks aside the mold also features the neat morphing hands gimmick where you can spin the hands around into guns. Bonus points for pairing good articulation and little kibble.

2) Combiner Wars Powerglide

We've wanted a proper Powerglide update for years and the wait finally paid off. Ultra Powerglide was much too big while Dark of the Moon Powerglide was too far into the movie aesthetic (though still a good figure), but CW Powerglide hit the sweet spot. His likeness is near perfect in both sculpt and colors and makes no sacrifices for articulation. It also makes no sacrifices to include a third fairly convincing gun mode that doesn't at all hinder the other two modes.

1) Cybertron Armorhide

This is a figure that knows how to do everything right. As his name indicates he looks like a rugged mini powerhouse that can take a beating and dish it back out. He has a slick truck mode with a towing rig/crane thing (I turned the hook around), I like that the cab isn't square, but rounded off at the top. Thanks to outside the box thinking the truck has to be flipped over for bot mode with the legs making the top of the truck and the arms making the back, completely backwards from what we often see. In bot mode the articulation is great with lots of ball joints including the neck. Inside his body he's hiding a rack of (non removable) missiles if you stick a Cyber Key in his back. Speaking of the Keys, he's one of the few figures, maybe even the only figure, that has key storage on his massive gun. Plus he has zero kibble. Zero! Have you seen the other scouts in this line? In my opinion Armorhide isn't just the best Scout/Basic/whatever figure of all time, but also one of the best figures in the Cybertron line.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804317)
Posted by Zeedust on July 10th, 2016 @ 12:07am CDT
I think Obsidian, Meantime, and Armada Perceptor are pretty cool, but that's probably just me.
Re: Top 5 Best Scout / Legends Class Transformers Toys (1804351)
Posted by Windsweeper on July 10th, 2016 @ 7:41am CDT
I'm sorry but a thousand times No!!!

Scouts and Legends are 2 different sizes and Legends are an abomination.

Combiner Wars Windcharger is significantly smaller than Rts Windcharger.

If Rodimus had been a true scout I'd have been happy but no we got a crap little toy in CW.

I loved the Scout class from the G2 Lasers Rods to Rotf Nightbeat but the legion class has been annoyingly disappointing.

I apologise for the rant but scale is a big issue for me and HasTak and the fandom pissed all over it.

I suppose I should end with my top 5:

G2 Sizzle
BW Terrorsaur
Robotmasters Mirage
Rotf Breakdown
Energon Ravage

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #236 - Tangled Web
"Tangled Web"
Posted: Monday, December 9th, 2019

Buy "TRANSFORMERS Generations Power of the Primes Legends Tailgate ACTION FIGURE NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Thundercracker - GDO - Generations - TRU Legends Free Shipping" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC S51 SIEGE LEADER ASTROTRAIN MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends Blackarachnia SEALED LG17 Takara Beast Wars Animated" on EBAY
Buy "TAKARA TOMY Transformers Legends LG EX Black Convoy Tokyo Toy Show" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-EX Black Convoy Toy Show 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Sentinel Maximus Botcon OTFCC W HASBRO MAILER BOX 2004 Exclusive G1 Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC DELUXE SPINISTER CROSSHAIRS IN HAND" on EBAY