Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines

Friday, June 14th, 2019 11:34PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 32,387

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here. Thanks to fellow staff member Kurona for helping me with this one, along with fellow Seibertronian TK415 for helping me shape this list.

Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines

This list has been mulling in my head for quite sometime. I always find it hard when a list is a tad bit lest subjective since it means there are measures that have to be clear rather than it simply being "I think this toy is awesome while this one blows". However, this idea of comparing the toys we get with what we see on screen is a longstanding theme in this brand and it's a request I get quite a bit. Now, to make it more diverse and add some variety, I have chosen to deal with this subject of screen accuracy while looking at toylines rather than the individual toys themselves. Feel free to discuss which toys within the mentioned (or unmentioned) toylines you find superior to others in terms of accuracy though, it should make for a fun discussion. Now off with the list!

5. Robots in Disguise 2001 (Car Robots)

Transformers Prime was supposed to take this spot at first, especially since the RID line still had the defacto inaccuracies that come with using G1 toys to represent your show characters. But you know what, I realized the Prime line had less to offer for show accuracy. Sure, there were some heavy hitters, but then you realize that Hasbro never gave us anything close to a screen accurate Voyager Megatron, none of the black Beast Hunter Bees had the right paint scheme, neither Arcee really looked like the character model (which I admit is hard to pull off) and the crappier Cliffjumper toy was the one with the screen accurate legs.
And then there is RID, a show that went out of its way to show us all the wonderful modes Megatron had, including the hand mode and griffin mode. All the new molds made for RID, such as Optimus, Railracer and the brothers had toys which seemed to jump off the screen. And while Ruination's proportions were off as expected, the colours were well represented. And we finally got to see some of those Beast Wars molds in action on screen in North America and they looked great. And let's not forget Scourge whose toy looked a lot like the show model. I especially love the sticker detail being very similar to the details we see on the screen. Its these peculiar and recognizable details, like the chest stickers, found both onscreen and on the toy that drive home how good a representation you have of the badass you see on screen.

Transformers Robots In Disguise Prowl (Mach Alert) Gallery

Transformers Robots In Disguise Gas Skunk (Gaskunk) Gallery

4. Beast Wars Transmetals (Bast Wars Metals)

I remember very well being a kid and being turned off by those odd masks the first year Beast Wars toys had. They weren't on the show. And while the inner Rhinox head looked more like the show, it looked too small on the body so young WJ88 settled on that brutish face when making him exchange blows with his Bane action figure. But then in that second year line, Beast Wars Transmetal, it was as if you were holding the characters you saw onscreen in your very hands. And that is the first time that ever happened for the brand. Tarantulus and Cheetor looked perfect, so did Rampage and both faction leaders. Plus you had the gimmicks at work too, like the surfing gorilla and thruster t-rex. I would even throw in Quickstrike and Silverbolt who were released at the very same tie within the Fuzors subline. And it culminated with Optimal Optimus and Depthcharge which really looked the part. That dedication between toy and screen was not as impressive with what followed in Transmetal 2 where toys like Tigerhawk looked different and gimmicks not being carried through to the screen (like the rollerblading dragon, though I do understand). Plus there were many many toys that had no onscreen counterparts. And that worsened with Beast Machines. But man, Transmetal, those toys still hold up and I honestly don't see how much better those toys would be if they were released today.

3. Transformers Masterpiece 2.0

Yeah, if we are going to talk about the Masterpiece line and screen accuracy, you have to let go of all that came at the beginning. It didn't help that MP 01 Optimus Prime wasn't based on the G1 show model, and neither was Starscream, and that MP 05 Megatron was more of an homage to the G1 toy than the cartoon. But MP 10 came along and BAM, we got ourselves a gorgeous line with a unified scale that to this day keeps getting closer and closer to being as screen accurate as possible. It's not perfect, unlike the name would suggest, what with Red Alert still not getting the molding changes he deserves and Optimus not having a white crotch, plus the deal with Hot Rod's non show accurate backpack and extraneous bits. But then you have Bumblebee, Soundave, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus and Inferno who are just so striking in terms of show accuracy. Right down to the smooth surfaces devoid of sculpted detail and even stickers for Sunbow inspired Decepticon symbols in one case. It even got to the point where fans would rather the toys strive less for cartoon accuracy and go for a happy medium of detail and smooth surfaces. What that tells me is that this line is of course right at home on this list.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines

And here is a fun video I found. Sure, not everything it uses it official but it gives a good idea of how far we have come.

2. Transformers Animated

I will always be amazed at what the Animated line was able to pull off. For the fist time, we had character models created before the toys in a Transformers show and these designs had exaggerated features. They were not proportioned, with some having ultra sleek waists, bigger feet, huge chins and so on. This was a more heroic style found across the 2000's and it persists now, which can make for very dynamic animation. We know that worked for a show, but now you had to engineer toys out of them which was extra tricky since these exaggerated proportions were more present in the robot modes than the vehicle modes. But Hasbro found a way. They were able to make transforming toys which really did have those dynamic looks. That deluxe Prowl toy still fascinates me for being so sleek in both modes and yet having that elongated head and huge feet. He's an easy example to show but that goes for all toys which found a way to have animated features in robot mode that did not have vehicle kibble (like forearms and legs) while not turning them all into shellformers. Even if you don't like the designs, you have to admit that turning this into one of the most show accurate lines is quite a feat.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines

1. Transformers Cybertron (Galaxy Force)

While Armada was naturally very toy-accurate and if you got an Armada toy just to get something that looked like what you saw on the show... well, unless you got Sideswipe, you wouldn't be terribly disappointed.

But Energon and Cybertron take it to whole new levels. The CGI models might as friggin' well just be the toys -- it gets to the extent that the models have the toy's buttons on them. The button you press on Cybertron Evac's toy to make his rotors turn? That's on his CGI model. Why is it there? What possible actual function would it serve to Evac as a character or soldier or disguise? Who the heck knows, but he has it.

Cybertron's toys are by far the most screen-accurate toys there have ever been because of how stupidly accurate to the toys Cybertron's animators were. Pretty much the only difference is in articulation for character expression (individual fingers moving, extra waist movement, that sort of thing). The Transformations were replicated too, which makes it even better!

Transformers Cybertron Optimus Prime (Galaxy Convoy) Gallery

Transformers Cybertron Hot Shot (Excellion) Gallery

Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024620)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 15th, 2019 @ 12:25am CDT
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024621)
Posted by Stargrave on June 15th, 2019 @ 1:22am CDT
Bam ya got me. I’m like lalala Animated will take the cake lalala BaM! Got me. :lol: great call and great list dude another win. These are always the best, so much fun.

Thanks for the article and thanks for the extra touches on the MP stuff I’ve totally had MPs on the brain with all the Hound news this week.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024622)
Posted by Regimus Prime on June 15th, 2019 @ 1:39am CDT
I definitely would’ve substituted anyone of these lines, particularly MP for Transformers Prime. Especially with the way those Vehicon figures came out. Great army builders too. Awesome list though. :BOT:
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024623)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 15th, 2019 @ 2:36am CDT
william-james88 wrote:But man, Transmetal, those toys still hold up and I honestly don't see how much better those toys would be if they were released today.

Well, I can think of one: Replace the original chrome with a variety that doesn't flake.

Could hardly agree more with this list. I even recall Toyfare Magazine once extolling Energon for its cartoon-accuracy, but by the end, that was probably just an unwelcome reminder of a cartoon many of us would just as soon forget. So Cybertron's accuracy to the sort-of-accidental-restart-toon FTW!!!
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024631)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 15th, 2019 @ 4:28am CDT
Fuzzy memory or lack of interest made me surprised to see RiD 2001 and Transmetals on this list. I did watched both shows. Guest they didn't had an impact on me.

The other 3 however, were sure to be. I wasn't sure of the order but yours is pretty much perfect.

MP 2.0 need some ironing out before being truly a "complete line" of show accurate toys. And IMO, the fact that each toys now cost a kidney and your first born make it lose points.

Animated was certainly a baffling line. With an awesome show and the toys to match. And most of these toys were absolutely fantastic. Too bad we got gimped out of that last season. I would really have liked to see Blackout out of Japan and a combining Animated Devastator...

And Cybertron? Not surprised it's #1. The accuracy is ridiculous to the point that ever the SCREW HOLES are present on the character models! Along Bayformers 2007 and Master Force, Galaxy Force was the show that brought me back to Transformers. Galaxy Force leader Optimus Prime was also my very first Ebay purchase and the very first Transformers I bought with my own money... as a 31 years old back in 2007. Man, time does fly!
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024635)
Posted by Black Hat on June 15th, 2019 @ 6:13am CDT
Nice list! And good to see Animated still getting love 11 years later. That was one hell of a line, possibly one of my favourites (and easily my favourite Western TF cartoon with BW in close second). There's so many figures from the line I want- Lockdown, Oil Slick, Swindle and Prowl to name just a few. I will say that as accurate as the line was, I wouldn't mind some Generations or 3P figs based on Animated to either make characters who never got figures or to replace the few duds in the line (Lugnut for example- I know we have the stellar 2010 figure but an actual cartoon-styled Lugnut which is the right size would be awesome. Also Blitzwing.)
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024636)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 15th, 2019 @ 6:27am CDT
Black Hat wrote:There's so many figures from the line I want- Lockdown, Oil Slick, Swindle and Prowl to name just a few.

Oilslick is one of the BEST bikeformer ever. Plus he's damn cheap. As for lockdown, he have been repainted a few times and that special Takara edition is surprisingly cheap too. Go get them already! :michaelbay:
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024657)
Posted by Stargrave on June 15th, 2019 @ 12:04pm CDT
You all crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeez so many great memories you’re all taking me back the whole Lockdown Ratchet storyline was so boss.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024663)
Posted by william-james88 on June 15th, 2019 @ 12:35pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Not bad. If I had a list, the only change I would make is replacing the MP line with Prime. Those figures were pretty good, especially the deluxes. I wouldn't include the MP line because like you said, some of the earlier pieces were way off the mark.

For me, Prime was a contender but i judged it worse than MP (Airachnid anyone?). The fact that we never got a show accurate deco for season 1 voyager megs was enough to tip it in the favour of mp 2.0 for me.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024677)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 15th, 2019 @ 3:18pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

So when you put MP on the list you were only referring to MP 2.0?
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024678)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 15th, 2019 @ 3:22pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
So when you put MP on the list you were only referring to MP 2.0?[/quote]

Yes, if we consider all the MPs post MP-10 as "MP 2.0".
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024685)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 15th, 2019 @ 4:11pm CDT
Another strong list, although to be fair, RiD and Beast Wars were the only parts of the list I have ever owned. Those Car Robots TM 2 redecos are so garish :SICK:

The Transmetals however, were near flawless as a line in their accuracy. TM Rattrap still remains the anomaly though, all these years later.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024692)
Posted by william-james88 on June 15th, 2019 @ 5:23pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

So when you put MP on the list you were only referring to MP 2.0?

Isn't that what I wrote on the list?
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024694)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 15th, 2019 @ 5:57pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Isn't that what I wrote on the list?

Exactly. But who have the time to actually read articles? Only the headlines matter.

Welcome to current year.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024703)
Posted by Stargrave on June 15th, 2019 @ 6:45pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Isn't that what I wrote on the list?

Welcome to current year.

Kanra you kill me sometimes :lol:
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024714)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 15th, 2019 @ 8:23pm CDT
00Stargrave00 wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Isn't that what I wrote on the list?

Welcome to current year.

Kanra you kill me sometimes :lol:

Clickbait, smear campaigns and fake news. All thrive because of that unfortunate fact about the average joe's intellectual laziness. As if there's a massive outbreak of ADHD going on.

I, on the other hand, am an intellectual. I read every single words of every single articles I come across and I double check every sources twice for each of them.
[-(
I'm very efficient in using all 72 hours of the day.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024726)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 15th, 2019 @ 10:17pm CDT
if you put Cybertron shouldn't the whole Unicron trilogy be on there?
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024728)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 15th, 2019 @ 11:13pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:if you put Cybertron shouldn't the whole Unicron trilogy be on there?

Galaxy Force/Cybertron took it to the extreme by not only retaining the triggers for the toy gimmicks, but... Come on, look at this:

Any series that shows the underside of any vehicle, exactly like it is on the toy:

... deserves an award. RiD X-Brawn deserves an honorable mention in that department because in the cartoon his head would pop up in vehicle mode next to the driver, the position it's in on the toy.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024729)
Posted by william-james88 on June 15th, 2019 @ 11:20pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:RiD X-Brawn deserves an honorable mention in that department because in the cartoon his head would pop up in vehicle mode next to the driver, the position it's in on the toy.

Well, I did include specifically him in the article. As for the Hot Shot, they even kept his robot head exposed in the undercarriage. Even the pic on seibertorn chose to turn his head around.
Re: Top 5 Most Show Accurate Transformers Toylines (2024731)
Posted by Emerje on June 15th, 2019 @ 11:45pm CDT
There's something unfair about including MP on the list. All of the other lines are general retail cheap kids toys with retail budgets that came out at the same time as their animated series while MP had the benefits of coming out decades later as adult collectibles with large budgets and equally large price tags. I really would have either put them at 5 or gone for something entirely different like Prime or Prime RID (despite their inconsistent toy/cartoon accuracies) or double dipped on the Unicron Trilogy and gone with Energon.

Otherwise the rest of the entries are where I would have expected them.

Emerje

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #234 - Hell in a Cel
"Hell in a Cel"
Posted: Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Buy "Takara Transformers Generations Henkei G1 IRONHIDE Loose Complete Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATION 2 # 2*G.I. JOE, SNAKE EYES, SCARLETT*COBRA COMMANDER*" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon  Voyager Class Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Motormaster (NEW) TITANS" on EBAY
Buy "G I JOE, A REAL AMERICAN HERO # 138*SNAKE EYES*NINJA FORCE*TRANSFORMERS*TRADE CA" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RPMs Speed Series Decepticon MEGATRON Collectable Car by Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Jetfire MISB- Walgreens Version!" on EBAY
Buy "NEW 2010 TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON STARSCREAM TARGET  VOYAGER CLASS" on EBAY