Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples

Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples

Sunday, June 6th, 2021 5:59pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: Tigerhawk7109   Views: 33,105

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Every month now, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor or a guest. These are our opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.


Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples

Happy Pride month, everybody! My name is Tigerhawk7109. I’ve been on the forums for about two years now. And, this week, I’ll be bringing you a special Pride-themed list. Before we begin, though, let me set one major rule: canon pairings only. As much as I stan ships like AlphaRoad, they’re not official. Also, major spoiler warning for More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light ahead. And please remember that the use of the term "same-sex" is in the generalized sense where sex is used to refer to gender quite often. Now, without further ado, let’s get into it!

5: Knock Out and Breakdown

Knock Out, the slick Decepticon medic, was far and away the breakout character of Transformers: Prime. He was suave, he was extremely vain, and he gave Autobots like Bumblebee and Arcee a real challenge on the roads. His partner-in-crime was Breakdown, a heavy bruiser who filled the role of Bulkhead’s archnemesis. From their interactions in the show, many fans suspected that the two might have been a couple. As fun as it might’ve been, there was no official confirmation- until IDW stepped in and put their own spin on things.

When Knock Out was introduced in Windblade: Volume 2 number 4, he retains everything from his Prime persona except the sadistic streak. He’s a high-ranking racer on Velocitron, but nothing’s really been said that’s new. However, when Moonracer and Windblade have their conversation at Maccadam’s, the Velocitronian alludes to Knock Out having a Conjunx Endura who ‘couldn’t break Mach 1 if his life depended on it.’ Breakdown, with his bulky build, certainly fits this description. In the Holiday Special, we finally get confirmation that the two are a couple.

Because they had less time for their relationship to develop than any of the others on this list, Knock Out and Breakdown are lower in the ranking- but that doesn’t mean that they’re any less precious.

Transformers News: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples


4: Drift and Ratchet

Suffice to say, this is a relationship that not many saw coming. Drift and Ratchet are polar opposites- one is an ex-Decepticon trying to find his place in the world, and the other is a grouchy old medic who’s losing his touch. But, if you look closely, you can see how their relationship developed over the course of More Than Meets The Eye and Drift: Empire of Stone. When Drift is knocked down by a brick after taking the blame for Overlord, Ratchet is the only member of the ship’s crew who helps him up. In issue 28, when Atomizer hands Rodimus a list of those who supposedly didn’t vote for him, Ratchet reveals that it’s a fake- because his name isn’t on it. There are a number of reasons why this could be, but we’re led to believe it’s because of Drift. The turning point in their relationship comes when Ratchet attends Brainstorm’s trial. After the scientist gets away with a slap on the wrist, Ratchet finally snaps at Rodimus for letting Drift take the fall. He leaves the Lost Light in a shuttle, with a figurine of Drift made by Ten on his dashboard. By Lost Light, the two are officially a couple. Their relationship’s buildup was absolutely genius, and is one of many examples as to why James Roberts is a fricking genius.

Transformers News: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples


3: Anode and Lug

Anode and Lug were the first major newbies introduced in Transformers: Lost Light, the sequel to More Than Meets the Eye. They are a couple when we first meet them, but we also meet them when they have a pretty major argument. Anode eventually realizes that the Lug she is seeing isn’t real- she’s a mere hallucination, brought upon after being saved by the Necrobot. Using a protoform and a spark, Anode is able to essentially bring Lug back to life. Now that’s dedication.

However, that’s not the only reason that Anode and Lug are special. The two are the first official transgender couple in Transformers, and have a whole page dedicated to Anode explaining why the two of them didn’t feel right as males. This quality, combined with the real and believable nature of their relationship, makes Anode and Lug a truly special couple.

Transformers News: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples


2: Cyclonus and Tailgate

All I can say is this: James Roberts knows how to write a romance, because God damn. These two get off to an extremely rocky start. Poor Tailgate is looking for somebody to room with, and Cyclonus lets him into his quarters- only because there’s a sparkeater on the loose. When the minibot starts to annoy him, Cyclonus knocks Tailgate out cold. Gradually, the two grow closer, bonding over the fact that they are both from Cybertron’s ancient past. At the end of Season 1, Cyclonus uses his own spark energy to cure Tailgate’s cybercrosis. In Season 2, Getaway plays on Cyclonus’ reluctance to show his feelings, and manipulates Tailgate into almost getting killed. Cyclonus protects him, and is shredded by bullets. When Tailgate is presumed dead after Fangry locks him in a radioactive chamber, Cyclonus’ faith and desire to see him again causes Cyberutopia to manifest itself as the Afterspark. These two have so much development, and have so much love between them- except Cyclonus’ pride keeps him from saying the Big Three Words until Lost Light issue 16. Caught in the middle of this romance is Whirl, who slowly pushes the two into revealing their feelings for each other. That comedic plot point alone is just fantastic.

Transformers News: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples


1: Chromedome and Rewind

You all saw this coming. Chromedome and Rewind have the single-most developed relationship in all of Transformers history. They don’t just top a list of same-sex couples- these two would top a list of all couples. From the very first issue, we see them fight and make up, like a real couple. The two are very obviously lovey-dovey with each other. However, it’s not until after Rewind sacrifices himself to get Overlord off the ship that he finally says ‘I love you.’ Heartbroken, Chromedome locks himself in his quarters and plays his husband’s final message, a composition of footage recorded by Rewind himself, over and over again. However, the two get a second chance when Megatron discovers a quantum duplicate Lost Light, with Rewind the only survivor. Seeing as he is the same, yet different, from Chromedome’s Rewind, the two get off to a less-than perfect start. Their love eventually grows back to what it once was- to the point where Chromedome almost kills himself to bring Dominus Ambus, Rewind’s old Conjunx, back from his lobotomized state as ‘The Pet.’ Instead of bringing Dominus back, Rewind severs Chromedome’s arm, keeping him alive at the cost of his former husband. There are no other words to describe just how deep their relationship runs.

Transformers News: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples


Honourable mention: If there was one other couple I need to make mention of, it’s Tigatron and Airazor- specifically from the Japanese dub of Beast Wars. Airazor was male in Japan, which was all well and good for the most part. But when the obvious affection between the two blossomed into romance, they inadvertently became the first gay couple in Transformers history.

What do you guys think of this list? Got a couple you think should be on it? Sound off in the Energon Pub forums. For now, this is Tigerhawk7109, signing off.

We thank @LostVelocitron for the thumbnail art.


This article was last modified on Monday, June 7th, 2021 11:28pm CDT

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106674)
Posted by william-james88 on June 6th, 2021 @ 6:09pm CDT
Nice article. While it does end well for Tailgate and Cyclonus, part of me is still mortified at how gruesome an end Tailgate faced. Like no matter what happenned next, it still didn't undo what happened (at least that's how I understood it).
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106676)
Posted by Senrubo on June 6th, 2021 @ 6:17pm CDT
Arcee and Greenlight seem to be the most prominent one that you left off.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106678)
Posted by JomasterII on June 6th, 2021 @ 6:27pm CDT
Why is Knockout holding the trans flag? Wasn't he constructed male? :v
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106683)
Posted by Bounti76 on June 6th, 2021 @ 6:35pm CDT
Senrubo wrote:Arcee and Greenlight seem to be the most prominent one that you left off.


They're very explicitly a couple in the current IDW continuity, though I feel like Arcee and Aileron in IDW 2005 were better. You got to see their relationship form in quiet moments, over time, whereas Arcee and Greenlight were just "here's a couple".

I actually liked Lancer and Greenlight from IDW 2005. You got to see them doing couple-y things and flirting with each other.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106684)
Posted by william-james88 on June 6th, 2021 @ 6:46pm CDT
JomasterII wrote:Why is Knockout holding the trans flag? Wasn't he constructed male? :v


I figured he was a supporter, not that the flag represented him specifically. Just like I would hold a rainbow flag in show of support even though I am not gay.

I could be wrong though.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106685)
Posted by notsoalex on June 6th, 2021 @ 7:05pm CDT
The art was really cute! But I swapped it out with a screenshot from the end of LL of Anode and Lug since I couldn't find a source on the fan art. Would suck to have the art up without a source or credit
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106686)
Posted by Tigerhawk7109 on June 6th, 2021 @ 7:50pm CDT
notsoalex wrote:The art was really cute! But I swapped it out with a screenshot from the end of LL of Anode and Lug since I couldn't find a source on the fan art. Would suck to have the art up without a source or credit

Yeah, I see your point. I don’t know where the art is from, nor who created it- I didn’t post it. Still, glad you liked the list!

:BH-PREDACON:
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106690)
Posted by Cliffjumperprime on June 7th, 2021 @ 12:09am CDT
This is why i stopped reading comics making characters gay
Transformers is a inocent kids shiw not some gender gay mashed uglyness This whole pannel makes me sick to my stomach turning childhood characters Gay
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106692)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on June 7th, 2021 @ 12:23am CDT
No Tracks and Raoul?


H O W D A R E Y O U

Seriously though, good list!
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106699)
Posted by Nemesis Reformatted on June 7th, 2021 @ 2:34am CDT
Nope! I'm not going there. I have a huge problem with everybody trying to humanize the Cybertronians.

Starting with the G1 cartoon, I absolutely hate how they changed the cool robot faces of the toy line to human faces in the cartoon.

Then they tried to copy Star Wars by making some kind of weird, awkward love triangle between Arcee, Springer & Hot Rod. Just like Leia, Luke & Han.

Then they tried to change Unicron & Primus into God & Satan instead of simply being huge robots.

And I definitely reject the whole idea of dating, relationships, sex & marriage among these *ROBOTS*. Am I the only one who remembers that these characters are *NOT HUMAN* & *NOT FROM EARTH*?

The whole appeal of Transformers & Gobots is the fact that they are *NOT HUMAN*. If I wanted humans I would collect Star Wars or GI Joe. I'm a fan of Transformers because they are *NOT HUMAN*. Robots are cool, humans are lame.

I don't see the logic behind trying to make them perfectly copy everything about our human society on Earth. They are aliens from another planet. Machines not humans.

This whole thing is F**** STUPID! :roll: Nevermind same-sex couples, the whole idea of Transformers couples is F**** STUPID! The only reason humans have couples is for sex & having children. That doesn't apply to robots. Stop trying to make Cybertron society perfectly copy Earth society. It's totally F**** STUPID! :-x

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? :-?
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106700)
Posted by rikkomba on June 7th, 2021 @ 3:20am CDT
Nemesis Reformatted wrote:Nope! I'm not going there. I have a huge problem with everybody trying to humanize the Cybertronians.

Most Transformers characters are aliens from planet Cybertron, aliens with two hands, five fingers, nose, lips and sometimes teeth.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:Starting with the G1 cartoon, I absolutely hate how they changed the cool robot faces of the toy line to human faces in the cartoon.

The G1 cartoon is from 35 years ago.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:Then they tried to copy Star Wars by making some kind of weird, awkward love triangle between Arcee, Springer & Hot Rod. Just like Leia, Luke & Han.


Star Wars is a popular franchise. To capture mode audience, similar dynamics were introduced. If tomorrow Jurassic Park becomes popular, we might even find transforming dinosaurs on the shelves.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote: Then they tried to change Unicron & Primus into God & Satan instead of simply being huge robots.

There is no catholic reference to Unicron and Primus being god or satan. They are deities, as the "ultimate good" and ultimate evil", but I don't remember any extended parallels being drawn between the temptations of Satan for Jesus and Orson Wells' reformatting of Leonard Nimoy.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote: And I definitely reject the whole idea of dating, relationships, sex & marriage among these *ROBOTS*. Am I the only one who remembers that these characters are *NOT HUMAN* & *NOT FROM EARTH*?

Mike Costa, is that you?

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:The whole appeal of Transformers & Gobots is the fact that they are *NOT HUMAN*. If I wanted humans I would collect Star Wars or GI Joe. I'm a fan of Transformers because they are *NOT HUMAN*. Robots are cool, humans are lame.

Transformers are human. If they weren't, you would have a very hard time connecting with the characters and their stories. There is a reason if the main character of Mass Effect is not a Geth.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:I don't see the logic behind trying to make them perfectly copy everything about our human society on Earth. They are aliens from another planet. Machines not humans.

Money.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:
This whole thing is F**** STUPID! :roll: Nevermind same-sex couples, the whole idea of Transformers couples is F**** STUPID! The only reason humans have couples is for sex & having children. That doesn't apply to robots. Stop trying to make Cybertron society perfectly copy Earth society. It's totally F**** STUPID! :-x

Actually it's quite realistic. Transformers are a civilisation which has been in a civil war for millions of years. As a society, Cybertronians need to plan for the future, forming "families", "procreating" and bonding to ensure mutual support. Especially in times of war, the forging of strong, lasting bonds is one of the best insurances for long-term survival. Unless you are Sixshot, of course.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:Seriously, what's wrong with you people? :-?

I thought your trolling was OK all things considered, but next time try to be more coincise. 6/10
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106701)
Posted by Big Grim on June 7th, 2021 @ 3:54am CDT
What a lovely list! The chance to see what the Cybertronians (and colonies) where like without the War hanging over them is one of the things I loved about Post War IDW. Seeing them loving each other (without any gender hangups) was plenty cool. I'm all for it.

~ Grim
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106702)
Posted by primalxconvoy on June 7th, 2021 @ 4:32am CDT
Although I am a bit more conservative about existing/established characters having major changes made to them (including gender/sexuality), it's still great that these aspects have been approached within TF media. Not only have different human groups been represented in the comics, but the notions of gender, sex and relationships (in general), against beings who aren't really of any gender or sex (at least, in human terms). It reminds me of some of the Startrek episodes, such as "Dax" in DS9, or Data experimenting with his sexuality with Tasha Yar, etc.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106703)
Posted by Barricade.it on June 7th, 2021 @ 5:05am CDT
As TF don't need different sex for reproduction, same sex couples can be a way to fight stronger withou any danger of extinction for the species.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106704)
Posted by primalxconvoy on June 7th, 2021 @ 6:12am CDT
Barricade.it wrote:As TF don't need different sex for reproduction, same sex couples can be a way to fight stronger withou any danger of extinction for the species.


That's an interesting POV. Here's an article that explores it:

- https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_2808199
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106705)
Posted by Big Grim on June 7th, 2021 @ 6:46am CDT
For those saying transformers have no gender, sure, maybe, but this WAS addressed in the comics. These sentient, living beings went out into the wider universe and saw other sentient, that do and how they thusly identified themselves. And the transformers, eminently adaptable beings, adopted these viewpoints because that matched how they saw themselves. They learned this from a mostly organic universe. They've said as much.

In the end, this is fiction but fiction is created by people. I have zero issue with it and if it gives more people from the spectrum of humanity someone to identify with, more power to them.

~ Grim
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106706)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 7th, 2021 @ 6:48am CDT
rikkomba wrote:As a society, Cybertronians need to plan for the future, forming "families", "procreating" and bonding to ensure mutual support. Especially in times of war, the forging of strong, lasting bonds is one of the best insurances for long-term survival.
Not necessarily. These are concepts we as humans are taught, in order to continue the survival of our species. Doesn't meant it applies to alien civilizations. Planning for the future means that the individual must survive. Being in groups does give a better chance of survival in times of hardship, whether it be war or famine or some other social or economically devastation event. But to say that it's needed is not entirely accurate. Even a single human can survive on his/her own in war and other difficulties if s/he is prepared properly. Transformers as they are portrayed can certainly do so as well, even more likely simply by their nature. They were literally built to adapt. For a species to survive, procreation is the most important. (Something same-sex couples cannot do naturally, but that's not the main point.)
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106707)
Posted by jtanimator on June 7th, 2021 @ 8:12am CDT
Nemesis Reformatted wrote:Nope! I'm not going there. I have a huge problem with everybody trying to humanize the Cybertronians.

Starting with the G1 cartoon, I absolutely hate how they changed the cool robot faces of the toy line to human faces in the cartoon.

Then they tried to copy Star Wars by making some kind of weird, awkward love triangle between Arcee, Springer & Hot Rod. Just like Leia, Luke & Han.

Then they tried to change Unicron & Primus into God & Satan instead of simply being huge robots.

And I definitely reject the whole idea of dating, relationships, sex & marriage among these *ROBOTS*. Am I the only one who remembers that these characters are *NOT HUMAN* & *NOT FROM EARTH*?

The whole appeal of Transformers & Gobots is the fact that they are *NOT HUMAN*. If I wanted humans I would collect Star Wars or GI Joe. I'm a fan of Transformers because they are *NOT HUMAN*. Robots are cool, humans are lame.

I don't see the logic behind trying to make them perfectly copy everything about our human society on Earth. They are aliens from another planet. Machines not humans.

This whole thing is F**** STUPID! :roll: Nevermind same-sex couples, the whole idea of Transformers couples is F**** STUPID! The only reason humans have couples is for sex & having children. That doesn't apply to robots. Stop trying to make Cybertron society perfectly copy Earth society. It's totally F**** STUPID! :-x

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? :-?


Not in the mood to get all pumped in frustration about this topic right now, so suffice it to say I agree with all this. I'm glad some people in this forum are willing to be honest with this stuff because it's pretty frustrating to deal with.
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106713)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on June 7th, 2021 @ 9:06am CDT
I want to see the top 5 inter-species couples done next...
Re: Top 5 Same-Sex Transformers Couples (2106714)
Posted by william-james88 on June 7th, 2021 @ 9:18am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:(Something same-sex couples cannot do naturally, but that's not the main point.)


I think it is a main point. A lot of people say they have issues with the same sex relationships introduced in Transformers lore and claim it has nothing to do with homophobia, just that it doesn't make sense for bots to be in a relationship since there is nothing in their physiology that suggests they should have a relationship. And yet that just shows some level of ignorance and bigotry since it ignores a) that relationships have been in Transformers fiction since G1 when Optimus/Orion Pax had a girlfriend which no one riled against since it was hetero and b) the discussion of it not making sense 100% mirrors the idea that there is no place for gay relationships in humans since they can't reproduce.

Relationships are about more than reproduction, that's what this Transformers lore conveys. If one has a problem with same sex robots, they probably also have a problem with same sex people.

And @Rodimus Prime all this was not directed at you or your comment, I was just inspired by that last bit and wanted to expand on it.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Hot Rod and Firedrive" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Decepticon Viper Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
Twincast / Podcast #278:
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-47 Kickback & Double Dealer" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-38 Laserbeak & Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-37 Ravage & Bullhorn" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-28 Rewind & Nightbeat" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus and Titans Return Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY