Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 8:41am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Toy News
Posted by: mooncake623   Views: 30,869

Thanks to Sara Pitre-Durocher via tumblr we get a look at the artwork she did for new Torchbearers, the all female combiner team that forms Victorian!

From Sara Pitre-Durocher
NOW THAT COMBINER HUNTERS IS OUT…!

The Torchbearerrrrrs!

I drew them from an early draft of the toys. There was certainly a fine balance to be found between “stay close to the toys’ designs” and “follow your heaaaart” but I think I did alright..! Anyways enough of me freaking out;

Enjoy! and draw all the fanart

Check out the images we've embedded below and remember keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest in news and updates!

Pyra Magna
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Dustup
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Jumpstream
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Skyburst
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Stormclash
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Rust Dust
Transformers News: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork

Credit(s): Sara Pitre-Durocher

Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714512)
Posted by mooncake623 on July 30th, 2015 @ 8:43am CDT
william-james88 wrote:Where do those feet for Jumpstream come from? I dont see them on the toy :P

lol

Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714514)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 30th, 2015 @ 9:02am CDT
had the toys looked like this I would have been more interested...as it is...its kind of a pass.

and that's sad :(
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714523)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:10am CDT
Just a liiiiittle more black or another dark color and I could warm up to this color scheme. These look good. The actual toys at this point? Meeeeehhh...not so much.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714527)
Posted by Gearslide on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:33am CDT
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714529)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:40am CDT
if only the toys looked half as good as the art.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714530)
Posted by Evil Eye on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:41am CDT
That art...actually looks great. If the toys had looked like this I'd be all over them.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714531)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:43am CDT
Yeaaa... still not fond of the colors. Rust Dust makes it work because the teal is allowed to dominate instead of clash with the red, and there's black to add some contrast, but the others are just awful.
Really, tonally these gals are flat and homogenous:
Whereas Rust Dust and the average Transformer (any fictional character, really) has some variety:
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714534)
Posted by mblase75 on July 30th, 2015 @ 10:46am CDT
Just noticed today that this team is apparently sporting Lollapalooza 2015 colors. Probably a coincidence.

Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714609)
Posted by Jack Hallows on July 30th, 2015 @ 4:59pm CDT
Skyburst and Stormclash kinda have a Topspin and Twintwist thing goin on to me.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714630)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on July 30th, 2015 @ 6:31pm CDT
Kinda wish that they had been re-shelled more extensively so as to capture the more sublimely feminine design of the art.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714638)
Posted by Editor on July 30th, 2015 @ 7:18pm CDT
Well after skipping on this thread for the last 20 pages, that's a hack of a lot of opinions on both sides...

Personally, I see this set as a special thank you to the fans. We from the votes enough to have an idea what to expect, and as the phase basically goes "you can't please all the people, all the time". But I am in the pleased camp. Yes there could be more done to "personalize" the characters and I think Rust Dust is a pretty silly name but on the whole for a set that doesn't actually need to exist with what is definitely a unique decoration plan (gives me an 80's club vibe) for a consistent palette on the gestalt mode missing from most of the others.

As long as Hasbro doesn't price gouge us on these, (or forget to ship to stores outside the US) I'll be picking this set up. Perfect? Not at all, but more than unique enough to go on my shelf.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714814)
Posted by CrankyOldTruck on July 31st, 2015 @ 11:44am CDT
Gearslide wrote:As someone who lives in Miami, I have to point out that these decos look like something straight off of South Beach. Like, they're so neon and bright they look like they were ripped off of the sign of a hotel on the beach.

I'm sorry but I can't help think of the "Hotel Coral Essex" from Revenge of the Nerds when you mentioned the hotel sign.
If anyone doesn't know the reference, watch the movie. I really don't want to have to explain that one on here. :P

I know TwinTwist and Topspin were mentioned in reference to those twins but I'm thinking Fastlane/Cloudraker or Pounce/Wing Span. I'd love to see another set of twins done up G1 style as a tribute to either of those teams even though the two characters pictured are both jet style in their alt forms. That's an assumption anyways based on the visible thrusters on both characters.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714820)
Posted by Madeus Prime on July 31st, 2015 @ 12:09pm CDT
I do think the art makes these look better, but again, the colors clash in the worst way possible. A simple change in hues would fix this set. If the turquoise was more of a blue, it'd work, if the cherry red was more of a burgundy, it'd work.

But I digress, the designs in the art are really nice looking, but they are nothing like the toys, with maybe Rust Dust being the exception, but only because that figure already has a somewhat feminine figure.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714938)
Posted by GreenLantern of Cybertron on August 1st, 2015 @ 12:34am CDT
Just playing with it. added some more white that was on the color scheme in the poll.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714940)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 1st, 2015 @ 1:10am CDT
I still think that color scheme is horrible.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714944)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 1st, 2015 @ 3:05am CDT
GreenLantern of Cybertron wrote:Image

I like Victorion, but I want to LOVE her. The mold choices don't bother me at all, the issue for me is the clashing of those colors. The white helps quite a bit. Just a bit of tweaking on the hues of the turquoise and red, and I think this color scheme could be salvaged. As long as Hasbro hasn't actually put these into mass production yet, I think we have a chance at a last minute revision for Victorion's deco. I wouldn't be fussed about their appearance in fiction either. It would certainly not be the first time a character's "first appearance" differed greatly from their more iconic look soon after (Spider-Man, Hulk, etc.).
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714945)
Posted by fenrir72 on August 1st, 2015 @ 5:01am CDT
Maybe lessen the intensity of the colors to that of the original Kingposeidon? Reminded me of him though not as flashy.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1714954)
Posted by Deadput on August 1st, 2015 @ 7:27am CDT
GreenLantern of Cybertron wrote:Image

Nah white still makes it look horrible since its a bright color too.

Replace the white with black would make it easier on the eyes.
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1715008)
Posted by omega.maximus on August 1st, 2015 @ 11:12am CDT
GreenLantern of Cybertron wrote:Image

I was just wandering how the color scheme could be improved. I think you re-interpretation is far far better than the current toys. Well done sir!

I like the blue you added allot too
Re: Transformers IDW Torchbearers Artwork (1715013)
Posted by omega.maximus on August 1st, 2015 @ 11:36am CDT
ImageJUMPSTREAM_recolor01 by Matthew Armstrong, on Flickr

ImageJUMPSTREAM_recolor02 by Matthew Armstrong, on Flickr

Desturate either the reds or the teal... they both can't be at full saturation it hurts the eyes. More white is great. White creates areas of rest instead of the current checkerboard of red/teal/red/teal. IMO

Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters cyberverse Predaking" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager - Sandstorm - Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary SANDSTORM Voyager NEW" on EBAY