10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Name_Violation » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
Was it dark out?

Did Diem get eaten by a Grue?
Image
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
User avatar
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9400
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Location, Location
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby zenosaurus_x » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 am

Weapon: Electron-Scimitars
Haha! Hilarious, I gotta say my favorite line was...
Through a combination of well-designed, posable figures, tighty-scripted and amusing shows and, I assume, chicken-based sacrifices Beast Wars turned out to be a huge success,

Can't wait for the end...
zenosaurus_x
Headmaster
Posts: 1094
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:21 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10+

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Oilspill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:27 am

Maybe it's like when you're at a gig, and at the end of the show the band steps off the stage to have a beer and a breather. They only come back to play their best song for the encore when the crowd is getting restless and is chanting their name. So, with that in mind...

Diem! Diem! Diem!
Image
Oilspill
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 807
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Mkall » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:20 am

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
I know who it is...

(ahh the joys of having him as a roomie at Botcon)

I'd tell you, but you'd all hate me.
Image

My Collection! Updated June 18, 2016
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 11109
News Credits: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Mykltron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Why hasn't he finished this list? He's written another article in the mean time!
Image

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
User avatar
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5929
News Credits: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Nearby. Watching.

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Hip-Hoptimus Rime » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 am

Motto: "Nobody has to look for trouble."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Maybe he's waiting for us to sacrifice a GoBot in his name...
Hip-Hoptimus Rime
Gestalt
Posts: 2269
News Credits: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Twitchythe3rd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 am

Motto: "Embrace the coming oblivion."
Weapon: Black Magic
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:Maybe he's waiting for us to sacrifice a GoBot in his name...


Quickly! Someone go get Cy-Kill!
Image
The Ultimate Defense Against The Terrorcon Hordes!
User avatar
Twitchythe3rd
Brainmaster
Posts: 1264
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Surrounded by corn.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Rank: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Name_Violation » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
Mykltron wrote:Why hasn't he finished this list? He's written another article in the mean time!
got a link?
Image
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
User avatar
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9400
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Location, Location
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Skyfire77 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:39 am

Motto: "Science can't move forward without heaps!"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Oilspill wrote:Maybe it's like when you're at a gig, and at the end of the show the band steps off the stage to have a beer and a breather. They only come back to play their best song for the encore when the crowd is getting restless and is chanting their name. So, with that in mind...

Diem! Diem! Diem!

ImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
Skyfire77
Headmaster
Posts: 1127
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Mkall wrote:I know who it is...

(ahh the joys of having him as a roomie at Botcon)

I'd tell you, but you'd all hate me.
He told me that I should know what it is, but I haven't the slightest clue. There's too many possibilities. :???:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30067
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Name_Violation » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
Skyfire77 wrote:
Oilspill wrote:Maybe it's like when you're at a gig, and at the end of the show the band steps off the stage to have a beer and a breather. They only come back to play their best song for the encore when the crowd is getting restless and is chanting their name. So, with that in mind...

Diem! Diem! Diem!

ImageImageImage

lol
ImageImageImage
Image
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
User avatar
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9400
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Location, Location
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Optimum Supreme » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Motto: "That's [not out yet/never came out] in my area."
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
Twitchythe3rd wrote:
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:Maybe he's waiting for us to sacrifice a GoBot in his name...


Quickly! Someone go get Cy-Kill!


No no no, sacrifice one no one cares about, like Scooter, or that blue buggy that every kid seemed to have a knockoff of back in 84-85.
User avatar
Optimum Supreme
Godmaster
Posts: 1719
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: 7
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 4

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Dark Optimum Supreme wrote:
Twitchythe3rd wrote:
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:Maybe he's waiting for us to sacrifice a GoBot in his name...


Quickly! Someone go get Cy-Kill!


No no no, sacrifice one no one cares about, like Scooter, or that blue buggy that every kid seemed to have a knockoff of back in 84-85.
Cy-Kill is the sacrificial GoBot of Transformers fiction. It is tradition for him to die. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30067
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Diem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Haha it's crazy, I literally had people anxiously asking me what the number 1 figure would be at BotCon. So worth it.

So without further ado...

Some figures are weird when you take them out of their context. Tell someone you have a transforming toaster and they'll look at you as if you just told them you have a transforming toaster. Travel back in time to the seventies and, before you hawk off your time machine to buy a MISB Wheeljack, even before you look up the word "hawk" because it doesn't look right, you'll have to explain to curious onlookers that the biggest show of the decade will involve a robot dinosaur fighting a camera menage-a-trois. But some figures get weirder and weirder the more you know about them.

Never did the weirdness start rolling in more than it did when Japan decided to tackle Beast Wars. Due to syndication rules and the laws of the sea Takara were unable to get their dub on while the series was still being shown in the West. As they say, if you can't join them, beat them. At weirdness.

So between Series 1 and 2 of Beast Wars Japan knocked out Beast Wars II, a series where G2 repaints fought BW repaints while G1 repaints looked on. And also there were some original molds! Despite including space pirates, drunken dragons, the Lion King and heroic peeing this series was no weirder than, say, the average LSD trip.

The sequel, Beast Wars Neo, kicked the craziness all the way up to Huh? While the bad guys were made up mostly of dinosaurs and lizards the heroes included a rabbit, a giraffe and A PENGUIN. Oh, and a mammoth. But one figure stands out even amongst this casual insanity.

The Ultimate Weirdness: Heinrad

Who is Heinrad? And also, how?

First up Heinrad is a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a box covered in some mysterious language (Japanese). There are layers and layers of weirdness, like a psychedelic onion.

Image
Badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

First up, Heinrad's alt mode is a tanuki. What, you might ask, is a tanuki? Go on. Well since you asked, despite certain bad translations tanuki are not raccoons. A raccoon is a svelte, energetic animal prone to play-fighting, scampering and washing its paws while a tanuki is, not to put too fine a point on it, a Snorlax.

Image
"LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXX"

But despite being more a footstool than a mammal the tanuki is the subject of many fables in Japan. And because there's no "logical" in "mythological" those fables are bloody weird. Basically the mythological tanuki has a number of characteristics that represent positive qualities such as big eyes for keen observation, a smile for friendliness and...something else, for prosperity.

Image
Danglies, essentially.

Image

Two of the other characteristics are a book of IOUs (representing trust) and a bottle of sake (representing being drunk as a skunk) and Heinrad has those too. Tey even combine into a cannon that fires, I assume, sake-infused empty promises.

In mythology tanuki are clumsy tricksters with great powers and Heinrad is no exception. His powers are as mysterious as they are untranslatable. I would like to frame them with some context. In Japanese continuity all of the heroic Cybertrons have ID numbers like C-1 or C-6 with C standing for Cybertron while all the Destrons are D-whatever with D standing for Donuts. Heinrad, however, despite to all intents being a hero is S-3, with the S designation usually reserved for clandestine third-faction characters. Not only that but with the exception of his rank (a respectable 7) all of his tech specs are simply "?". It soon becomes clear in the cartoon and manga that Heinrad is no ordinary customer; he can freeze, or even reverse time. Even later it is revealed that he is not merely the agent of a Prime or even a Primus; his master is no less than the god of Space-time! Since that's too awesome for Western continuity there he is just a clumsy drunk guy who can't control his powers.

Image
It's time...for time.

Since he's such a timey-dude he has a clock on his chest. And I don't just mean a clock design, or a clock decal; this figure is an actual, bone-a-Fido working alarm clock. It works by pushing his head down. He is the original Chrono Label figure.

Image
Of course the awesome time traveller has goggles. Of course he does.

And that's about it for the insanity of this list. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed procrastinating about it. The next list (which hopefully won't wait until next year) will not be in the toy forums but in the cartoon comics forum! Keep your eyes peeled, fact fans!

Diem happy at last

This list is dedicated to Chupito the rabbit who sadly passed away during the writing of the list. He was weirder and sillier than anything that could appear here.
User avatar
Diem
City Commander
Posts: 3184
News Credits: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:39 am

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby robofreak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 pm

I actually never thought of this guy being in the list, but I've never paid much attention to him.

Now I need to find one. He actually looks cooler than I thought. Also the fact that he's a robot with alcohol issues is hilarious.
Burn wrote:robofreak doesn't joke. He's all about the serious business of the internet.


ItIsHim wrote:My closet is filled to the brim with plastic children's toys. For myself
robofreak
Gestalt
Posts: 2823
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Mkall » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Nice, I had a good chortle at reading that. I do, however, have one complaint:

You are a Doctor Who fan. How could you NOT use the phrase "timey-whimey" in this article!
Image

My Collection! Updated June 18, 2016
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 11109
News Credits: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby robofreak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Mkall wrote:Nice, I had a good chortle at reading that. I do, however, have one complaint:

You are a Doctor Who fan. How could you NOT use the phrase "timey-whimey" in this article!


Knowing that dissapoints me.

Shame on you Diem.
Burn wrote:robofreak doesn't joke. He's all about the serious business of the internet.


ItIsHim wrote:My closet is filled to the brim with plastic children's toys. For myself
robofreak
Gestalt
Posts: 2823
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Valandar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:12 am

Motto: "It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, only that you work to make it full."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
As the first ( and only official ) Transformer toy with testicles, he should have a Courage rating of "Infinite"
Valandar
Gestalt
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8
Rank: 8
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Oilspill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 am

Of course! Heinrad! There are none more weird than he.

If I recall, he also stores his spark crystal in his most secret and sensitive of places. Now that's a weird place to keep your spark. :lol:
Last edited by Oilspill on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Oilspill
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 807
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Name_Violation » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 am

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
I like the finale.
but you did take the easy way out :P

So... teaser for the next list?
Image
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
User avatar
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9400
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Location, Location
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Mykltron » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:27 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Name_Violation wrote:
Mykltron wrote:Why hasn't he finished this list? He's written another article in the mean time!
got a link?


2Fast 2Blurrious - This Is The Best Mini-Con Team Ever

This Is Why I Like Transformers Part V
Image

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
User avatar
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5929
News Credits: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Nearby. Watching.

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 am

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
Ah, Heinrad! Yeah, very weird. A tanuki with... danglies. :p
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3989
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Diem » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 am

robofreak wrote:
Mkall wrote:Nice, I had a good chortle at reading that. I do, however, have one complaint:

You are a Doctor Who fan. How could you NOT use the phrase "timey-whimey" in this article!


Knowing that dissapoints me.

Shame on you Diem.


He has a pair of timey-wimey balls. There, does that help?

(I was deliberately avoiding references to both Doctor Who and Back to the Future...too easy. Did get one in for Yellow Submarine though.)
User avatar
Diem
City Commander
Posts: 3184
News Credits: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:39 am

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 am

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I must say Diem, I felt this one to be a letdown. I mean, Heinrad? That's liek the ultimate Transformers cliche of weirdness. It's like he's too weird to even be considered weird. His weirdness transcends weird in that he no longer looks weird whatsoever. He's the guy who's toy everyone points out when they want to talk about how awkward Japan was with Beast Wars. Calling out him on oddness has been done to death, so much so that he doesn't stand out as much anymore.

A good majority of all these other choices are ones that people would chuckle at for looking only a little silly, but then they'd really see the weirdness in them once they read your notes and comments that pointed out such to them. With Heinrad, however, there's no need for such explanations, as anyone can see how weird he is without a second thought.

It's also like how Sports Label and ROTF Demolishor are such obvious choices that also need no explanations. I liked all the ones that seemed normal at first sight, but then only really seemed weird once you explained them. With these other "naturally weird" ones, however, it just seemed more like taking the easy way out to me. :-(
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30067
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: 10 of the Weirdest Transformers Toys of All Time

Postby Midnight_Fox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 am

Motto: "The Midnight Fox comes in the night,
always in shadow, never in sight."
Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
I disagree, Sabrblade. When people see him in my collection, they either think he's adorable(he's always in Tanuki clock mode) or they think that him being Japanese means that all of the weirdness inherent to the figure makes sense, because hey Japanese!(y'know, cause they like weird things)

It's really not until you get into the deeper parts of the character that most people see how strange the character actually is.
User avatar
Midnight_Fox
Godmaster
Posts: 1786
News Credits: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #205 - Ship Wrecked
Twincast / Podcast #205:
"Ship Wrecked"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, August 12th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon