This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Masterpiece: General Discussion

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Masterpiece: General Discussion

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Hasbro and Takara definitely put themselves in a weird position with all these licensed vehicles back in the 80's. Hindsight being 20-20, and all that.
They might have been better off just with generic altmode designs from the beginning. Kids wouldn't have known any better.

On the subject of a MP Warpath. Personally I think the anime+ initiative would be a negative in his case. As above, his animation model wasn't great and I think he has been better represented in later media. Besides, a Tank Bot should be something massive, like Blitzwing.

Last edited by AllNewSuperRobot on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Jelze Bunnycat wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Jelze Bunnycat wrote:
Spartron wrote:
Emerje wrote:Sometimes I think HasTak should just make a new line that has all the same quality and scale as Masterpiece, but without the need for costly licenses, just "close enough" proximities. Call it Master Classics or something.

Emerje

That seems to be what the did with the Bumblebee 2.0? Maybe thats their solution - be more cartoon accurate and hence not have to license the automobile license?

MP-45 Bumblebee v.2 is still officially licensed, despite the Penny Racer proportions... Like the recent Walmart G1 reissue. That may be a consequence of them already holding the license for the Beetle because of the Bumblebee movie and HasTak wanting to be consistent.

Could also just be Hasbro not wanting to betray VW's faith in them. Both companies know what G1 Bumblebee was supposed to be so releasing the squat little figure without a VW badge while having a current license could have been seen as an insult.

Emerje

I agree. Has/Taks, as well as other companies, got away with a lot in the 80s that I think those companies are paying for now. If I remember correctly there were a few licensing issues during Alternators that were due to some bad blood from the early days.

Not quite true, back then there were no licensing regulations AFAIK; they came into play in 2001/2002 with Dodge for RiD Side Burn (that possibly planted the seed for Alternators/Binaltech). It's mostly reputation and being associated with "war toys" or "toys having guns", and given the history of some companies and that of the country they are headquartered in I can understand. Volkswagen was a holdout during that time, initially Chevrolet was one for Tracks (now look where they are now), and Honda USA (not the main Honda HQ) requested the gunbarrel removed from Windcharger.

All that is true as well as the companies having issues with extra panel lines. Apparently, they were hearing from their influencers and car media in general complaining about the extra panel lines and feeling it was misrepresenting the vehicle. I still think there was some soreness from the 80s but that's basically worked out now.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Heads up. There's a new Masterpiece promotional campaign coming for the MP-52 Seeker mold.

According to TakaraTomy Mall's order page for MP-52+ Thundercracker, anyone who buys MP-52 Starscream, MP-52+ Thundercracker, and the forthcoming MP-52+ Skywarp, and then fills out and mails in the product questionnaire included in the flap part of all three figure's boxes, will receive the "New Emperor of Destruction Parts" for MP-52 Starscream.

These are the same cape and shoulder pieces that came with MP-11 Starscream (meaning that the MP-52 mold is backwards-compatible with these parts), but also a new crown, two new blast effects pieces, and another new piece of some kind.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 439
Strength: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby -Kanrabat- » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:16 am

Motto: "Love it? GET IT!
It's that simple."
Weapon: Vibro-Axe
I wonder if that promo will only be available to be ordered within Japan? :-?
Come see my latest creation, a Galvatron Combiner using 4 SS86 Sweeps as limbs HERE!

Also, an update to my old ALL HELICOPER VICTORION!

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 96
Watch -Kanrabat- on YouTube
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:24 am

-Kanrabat- wrote:I wonder if that promo will only be available to be ordered within Japan? :-?
Probably yes, sadly.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Cyberpath » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 am

Sabrblade wrote:Heads up. There's a new Masterpiece promotional campaign coming for the MP-52 Seeker mold.

According to TakaraTomy Mall's order page for MP-52+ Thundercracker, anyone who buys MP-52 Starscream, MP-52+ Thundercracker, and the forthcoming MP-52+ Skywarp, and then fills out and mails in the product questionnaire included in the flap part of all three figure's boxes, will receive the "New Emperor of Destruction Parts" for MP-52 Starscream.

These are the same cape and shoulder pieces that came with MP-11 Starscream (meaning that the MP-52 mold is backwards-compatible with these parts), but also a new crown, two new blast effects pieces, and another new piece of some kind.

Good, already have the "coronation" gear. I guess the old crown is incompatible with the new head sculpt?

I kinda like MP-11 as a representation of that scene anyway, because of the segment's unique animation style.
Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby -Kanrabat- » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:54 am

It's that simple."
Sabrblade wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:I wonder if that promo will only be available to be ordered within Japan? :-?
Probably yes, sadly.

Whatever, that poopy MP-11 will finally have a purpose. The crown may not fit but eh.
Come see my latest creation, a Galvatron Combiner using 4 SS86 Sweeps as limbs HERE!

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:34 pm

For the price, I thought the coronation set was already included.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby Syclone » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:18 pm

chuckdawg1999 wrote:For the price, I thought the coronation set was already included.

Right? The way they stuff some of these with accessories and the way they've jacked up the price, it sure would be nice if it was included...
Syclone
Micromaster

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Syclone wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:For the price, I thought the coronation set was already included.

Right? The way they stuff some of these with accessories and the way they've jacked up the price, it sure would be nice if it was included...

Not for nothing, I thought I saw the crown and such when they revealed the figure.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby -Kanrabat- » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:02 pm

It's that simple."
Lego now have a premium Porsche 911 set:

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/porsche-911-10295

Is it a sign from them to loosen their grip on the license so that a MP G1 Jazz finally happen?

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:07 pm

-Kanrabat- wrote:Lego now have a premium Porsche 911 set:

Is it a sign from them to loosen their grip on the license so that a MP G1 Jazz finally happen?
Lego isn't a line of gun-wielding war soldier toys. Their main selling point is construction and creativity.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm

Sabrblade wrote:

Lego isn't a line of gun-wielding war soldier toys. Their main selling point is construction and creativity.

They canceled an Opspry kit days before its release because it's still in service with the US military, they don't fool around. (Looks over at Star Wars kits)
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

They canceled an Opspry kit days before its release because it's still in service with the US military, they don't fool around. (Looks over at Star Wars kits)

Ferrari and Porsche both have licensed toys out there, but transforming robots may be a bit outside of their comfort zone. That's what they need to work on.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:09 pm

Always Guilty..."
From the general chatter discussing his possible Selects figure in the Kingdom thread. It got me thinking about the MP counterpart...

Grimlock.jpg

It has been a couple years now, since MP-41. So what do you think are the chances of the BW Grimlock redeco at this point?
Last edited by AllNewSuperRobot on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby -Kanrabat- » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

It's that simple."
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:From the general chatter discussing his possible Selects figure in the Kingdom thread. It got me thinking about the MP counterpart...

It has been a couple years now, since MP-41. So what do you think are the chances of the BW Grimlock redeco at this point?

Only possibility: an ultra expensive exclusive like BAPE.

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Always Guilty..."
-Kanrabat- wrote:Only possibility: an ultra expensive exclusive like BAPE.

I was thinking about that. The cost being a hinderance. Much like a T-Wrecks redeco for MP-43. But as they are redecos of characters that have never appeared in non-print Media. There are ways they could cut the costs, that many wouldn't really complain about.

1. Rip out the electronics - Neither [Grimlock/T-Wrecks] figure needs them.
2. Less accessories (including stands) - Just standard weapons with a couple face plates. Just like Shadow Panther.

Personally I'd like to see more redecos for the BW MP line. Beyond MP-34S and Burning Convoy. As we've discussed before, virtually every Season One mold has at least one redeco.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:40 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Personally I'd like to see more redecos for the BW MP line. Beyond MP-34S and Burning Convoy. As we've discussed before, virtually every Season One mold has at least one redeco.

In the US line, maybe, including convention and Fox Kids redecos. But the Japanese line was far more scarce in the redeco department (not counting contest pieces):

Optimus Primal: Burning Convoy
Cheetor: Tigatron (own MP mold) and Shadow Panther
Rhinox: none
Rattrap: none
Dinobot: none
Airazor: none

Megatron: none
Scorponok: none
Terrorsaur: BW Neo Hydra
Waspinator: none
Tarantulas: Blackarachnia (own MP mold)
Inferno: none

That's not to say there won't be any MP BW Grimlock, in fact him not being a same-character redeco may help his chances. He would just be a bit obscure. Better wait on how Gen. Select Grimlock will do.

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Always Guilty..."
Yeah, I did overlook that most of those redecos are Convention characters, such as Antagony. I think Airazor and the Spiders have none regardless though.

Although Buzz Saw does exist as a redeco of the Waspinator mold.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Yeah, I did overlook that most of those redecos are Convention characters, such as Antagony. I think Airazor and the Spiders have none regardless though.

Although Buzz Saw does exist as a redeco of the Waspinator mold.

Airazor got a darker Fox Kids redeco and is really loose... Don't. :-x

And Buzz Saw did get a Japanese release. Derp 8-}

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Always Guilty..."
Buzz Saw was another weird one, like Polar Claw. That featured heavily in the early toy marketing.
I never understood why there were so few Bird Bots in Beast Wars :-?
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby -Kanrabat- » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 pm

It's that simple."
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Only possibility: an ultra expensive exclusive like BAPE.

I was thinking about that. The cost being a hinderance. Much like a T-Wrecks redeco for MP-43. But as they are redecos of characters that have never appeared in non-print Media. There are ways they could cut the costs, that many wouldn't really complain about.

1. Rip out the electronics - Neither [Grimlock/T-Wrecks] figure needs them.
2. Less accessories (including stands) - Just standard weapons with a couple face plates. Just like Shadow Panther.

Personally I'd like to see more redecos for the BW MP line. Beyond MP-34S and Burning Convoy. As we've discussed before, virtually every Season One mold has at least one redeco.

I simply base my assumptions on all those crazy and absurdly expensive MP-10 repaints.
But to be fair, maybe those BW repaints will have NOTHING to do with any continuities or previously released toys. We may see nonsensical repaints like a green and gold Optimus Primal for Bape or a Godzilla X-Over with BW Megatron. ;)

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Always Guilty..."
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. I just think they did a really good job with Shadow Panther and Burning Convoy. I'd like to see some more BW redecos. Be that Grimlock, Buzz Saw or Nightprowler.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 pm

The most likely BW redecos I coud see Japan doing that haven't already been done are Destron Rhinox (after they get around to doing Rhinox proper) and Vok Blackwidow.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Emerje » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 am

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
I'm sure the reason why figures like Megatron and Dinobot are so expensive is because Takara Tomy has no intention of reusing the molds. They padded the price with extra accessories, but you'll notice some of those (Dinobot's stand) got reused elsewhere and they're making up the costs every time.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 242
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers OPTIMUS PRIME #21 Cover A IDW Comics 2018 21A The Falling"
Transformers OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #9 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Manley (W) Budiansky 230926A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #5 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 5C 0324IM216 (CA) Burnham +Reber"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #5 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #29 IDW Comics 2014 (CA) Griffith (W) Barber"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #25 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 SEP200485 25RI 210804 (CA) Ossio"
TRANSFORMERS #25 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #31 Marvel Comics 1987 (W/A) Budiansky (A) Perlin 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP210484 4A (CA) Wilkins"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #14 Marvel Comics 1986 (W/CA) Budiansky (A) Perlin 231010H"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #31 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 MAR210483 31B (CA) Panda (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #31 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #5 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 NOV190607 5B (CA)Pitre-Durocher"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926M"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 4A (CA) Lawrence"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #32 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 APR210678 32A (CA) Schoening (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #32 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 2nd ptg Cvr C Image Comics 1223IM857 (CA) Milana"
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Cosmos" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON