This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Movie 2 writers in talks

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Movie 2 writers in talks

Postby Bombus distinguendus » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:27 am

Motto: "Don't Judge Me!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Solid Sonic Energy Blaster
:originaly posted on http://www.superherohype.com /(http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6372)
Transformers 2 Writers Confirmed
Source: The Hollywood Reporter October 4, 2007

Screenwriter Ehren Kruger and the writing team of Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are in talks to team to write the screenplay for DreamWorks/Paramount's Transformers 2, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Director Michael Bay, star Shia LaBeouf and producers Tom DeSanto, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Don Murphy are back in their respective chairs, as is executive producer Steven Spielberg.

The trade adds that the teaming of A-listers to write such a huge project might be an industry first and could have been necessary because Kurtzman and Orci -- who wrote first movie -- also are busy writing J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie for Paramount and producing Eagle Eye for DreamWorks.

The three writers are also working together on Nightlife, a DreamWorks serial-killer project that sees Kruger adapting a Thomas Perry novel, with Kurtzman and Orci producing along with Neal Moritz. Kruger also adapted the Stephen King novel "The Talisman," which Spielberg is exec producing for TNT.

Kruger met with Bay and Hasbro president Brian Goldner and impressed the duo with his knowledge of the "Transformers" mythology.
"Dont Judge Me!"
Check out TheFanriotpodcast.com. were also on iTunes! Please check us out!
Bombus distinguendus
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Toyotus Superion » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:36 am

Motto: "Being illegal doesnt make something wrong."
Impressed hasbro with their knowledge of TF history? Thats not hard to do. I dont think hasbro themselves know it with all the series and stupid jap spinoffs!
Toyotus Superion
Headmaster Jr

Postby lodelco » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 am

Great. Now all I can think of is Freddy Krueger laughing maniacally and slashing stuff.

hee hee.
lodelco
Fuzor
News Credits: 1

Postby i_amtrunks » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:06 am

Front Paged and Credited.

Too bad Don Murphy is back, the last thing the world needs is a crude, rude, lying, opinionated, dimwitted fat man mouthing off and being a general jerk.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby bam » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:17 am

i_amtrunks wrote:the last thing the world needs is a crude, rude, lying, opinionated, dimwitted fat man mouthing off and being a general jerk.

Hello, and welcome to the internet.
bam
Mini-Con

Postby Kayevcee » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:28 am

Honestly, I'm more concerned about Lorenzo DiBonaventura. The man's filmography makes terrifying reading. Still, this bunch pulled a big metal transforming rabbit out of a hat that promptly exploded last time, so I'm not going to go painting a "Down With Loz" placard just yet.

Bob and Alex seemed really enthusiastic at Botcon. They said at their panel that they'd rather have new writers with a good story idea come on board than come back themselves and just write something bland. I guess they had a good idea :)

-Nick
Kayevcee
Vehicon
News Credits: 3

Postby Leonardo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:49 am

trilobitepictures wrote:And Watchmen. Don't forget that after they're done destroying what's left of the Star Trek franchise, they're off to dash any hopes for Watchmen...

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3379&Itemid=99

Tell me this is not true.
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby NerdVernacular » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:54 am

How, pray tell, is this good news?
I'll go see it if Kremzeek kills Optimus Prime.
NerdVernacular
Mini-Con

Postby tile_mcgillus » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 am

Leonardo wrote:
trilobitepictures wrote:And Watchmen. Don't forget that after they're done destroying what's left of the Star Trek franchise, they're off to dash any hopes for Watchmen...

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3379&Itemid=99

Tell me this is not true.

/sarcasm
After that stellar script of Transformers how on Earth could they screw up Watchmen? Man consider me already stoked for TF2. Its off to a roaring start!
*/sarcasm

I'm quitting Earth...
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Postby Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:09 am

Wow, a lot of negativity here.

I for one welcome the two writers back. They now know how anal we are and how we can spot odd things in their story, they know what they probably want/could do different this time around. I'm sure they have learned a lot or thought of other ideas since they first wrote the first movie.

Now a third creative mind to add to the mix. Bring it on.
Briggs
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Ultra Magnus » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:45 am

Motto: "COME ON YOU APES! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?"
Weapon: Dual Cluster Bomb Missile Launchers
Odd things in the story? Like Megatron DEAD??? Cybertron Completely Dead? The total LACK of any sort of "Re-energizing" for these living robots? I wouldn't call those "odd things". I'd call those GLARING mistakes.

On the other hand, I'm glad that it is the same ppl that wrote the story for the first movie, because they proably have ideas for an overall arc. I knew there would be a 2. Now let's just see how good it is...
"Alright Bots, the time is Now. Transform and Finish it!"

Ultra Magnus
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Blozor » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:51 am

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
A lot of negativity...

They turned what could have been Transformers' shining moment where it once and for all proved to the world to be a deep, complex and epic story into a two-hour version of the 1984 cartoon, only with astoundingly less emphasis on the robots.

The critics gave it slightly higher than mediocre marks because they said it was good for what it is: A two-hour toy commercial. I didn't want it to be a "two-hour toy commerical." I didn't want people to go, "That's what I expected." I wanted people to go, "Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to these toys. Now I see what all the hype was about."

As far as I'm concerned, they stole our moment of glory and made it into a toy commercial arguably as well-written as the 1980's cartoon.
Blozor
Combiner
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:01 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Ehren Kruger is an interesting choice. Here's his IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0472567/

"The Talisman" (2008) (mini) TV Series (pre-production) (screenplay)
Blood and Chocolate (2007) (screenplay)
The Brothers Grimm (2005) (written by)
The Skeleton Key (2005) (written by)
The Ring Two (2005) (written by)
Rings (2005) (V) (written by)
The Ring (2002) (screenplay)
Impostor (2002) (screenplay)
Reindeer Games (2000) (written by)
Scream 3 (2000) (written by)
New World Disorder (1999) (written by)
Arlington Road (1999) (written by)
Killers in the House (1998) (TV) (written by)

I'm glad to see the rest of the crew back on board. I think one of the worst things that could happen would for #2 to have a totally different feel than #1 (no bathroom jokes now). This is actually great news that they're already putting the team together for #2. We just might see this movie released on June 26th, 2009 afterall.

** Goes to fire off an email to one of the extreme powers that be in this list for consulting position for the movie **
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby juushinkan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:11 am

Seibertron wrote:Ehren Kruger is an interesting choice. Here's his IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0472567/

"The Talisman" (2008) (mini) TV Series (pre-production) (screenplay)
Blood and Chocolate (2007) (screenplay)
The Brothers Grimm (2005) (written by)
The Skeleton Key (2005) (written by)
The Ring Two (2005) (written by)
Rings (2005) (V) (written by)
The Ring (2002) (screenplay)
Impostor (2002) (screenplay)
Reindeer Games (2000) (written by)
Scream 3 (2000) (written by)
New World Disorder (1999) (written by)
Arlington Road (1999) (written by)
Killers in the House (1998) (TV) (written by)

I'm glad to see the rest of the crew back on board. I think one of the worst things that could happen would for #2 to have a totally different feel than #1 (no bathroom jokes now). This is actually great news that they're already putting the team together for #2. We just might see this movie released on June 26th, 2009 afterall.

** Goes to fire off an email to one of the extreme powers that be in this list for consulting position for the movie **

My peace of mind has been shattered...
juushinkan
Micromaster

Postby Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 am

Ultra Magnus wrote:Odd things in the story? Like Megatron DEAD??? Cybertron Completely Dead? The total LACK of any sort of "Re-energizing" for these living robots? I wouldn't call those "odd things". I'd call those GLARING mistakes.

On the other hand, I'm glad that it is the same ppl that wrote the story for the first movie, because they proably have ideas for an overall arc. I knew there would be a 2. Now let's just see how good it is...

Lol.. what? How are those mistakes? They were part of the story, in this continuity. You just don't like parts of it, which is fine, but they are hardly mistakes.

Oddities that I am talking about are things such as the lack of clarification that Ratchets beam was helping heal bumblebee when fired it at him, or why Jazz just sorta sat there in car mode when bumblebee was laying in two pieces, etc.
Briggs
Headmaster

Postby Seibertron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:24 am

Briggs wrote:
Ultra Magnus wrote:Odd things in the story? Like Megatron DEAD??? Cybertron Completely Dead? The total LACK of any sort of "Re-energizing" for these living robots? I wouldn't call those "odd things". I'd call those GLARING mistakes.

Lol.. what? How are those mistakes? They were part of the story, in this continuity. You just don't like parts of it, which is fine, but they are hardly mistakes.

Oddities that I am talking about are things such as the lack of clarification that Ratchets beam was helping heal bumblebee when fired it at him, or why Jazz just sorta sat there in car mode when bumblebee was laying in two pieces, etc.

I like to think that it was Bumblebee's direct contact with the Allspark that fixed his voice box, much like it gave Frenzy his body back. However, this line of thought would have conflicts with other parts of the story, especially if you consider the IDW prequel to be cannon. If I recall correctly, Bumblebee held the AllSpark after Megatron damaged his voice box but it's been since February since I read the prequel comic so I might not be remembering that correctly. Even so, if it was Bumblebee's contact with the AllSpark that fixed his voice, why did it take so long for it to take effect whereas Frenzy got his body back immediately?

The explanation for Jazz is simple: budget restraints. It's cheaper to have him in car mode versus robot or battle mode. It's the most glaring "we need to do this so we don't go over budget" part of the movie to me, though there are plenty of other areas where I can definitely see that they were cost cutting (this isn't a negative comment ... you can see it in all movies from Star Wars to The Departed).
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 am

trilobitepictures wrote:So Megatron's dead. They killed Superman, Godzilla, Dracula, the Frankenstein's monster, broke Batman's back... wasn't some guy named Optimus Prime dead and buried for a while back?

Here's how the problem's fixed...

EXT. OCEAN FLOOR

CAMERA TRUCKS ALONG THE SEABED. FISH swim about peacefully. CRABS scitter as they hunt for food. We see a large, metalic mass slumped in the darkness. As camera approaches, we see TWO RED LIGHTS FLICKER QUICKLY then BURN STEADILY. It is MEGATRON and HE IS ALIVE!

Ta da! That's the beauty of fiction... you can do ANYTHING!

Bingo. I'm willing to bet that Megatron is most definitely not dead. Of course, if him being dead made room for characters such as Soundwave and Shockwave to get to the big screen, then I might be all right with it as long as they have leadership like roles.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 am

Blozor wrote:A lot of negativity...

They turned what could have been Transformers' shining moment where it once and for all proved to the world to be a deep, complex and epic story into a two-hour version of the 1984 cartoon, only with astoundingly less emphasis on the robots.

Personal opinion, not relevant.

Blozor wrote:The critics gave it slightly higher than mediocre marks because they said it was good for what it is: A two-hour toy commercial. I didn't want it to be a "two-hour toy commerical." I didn't want people to go, "That's what I expected." I wanted people to go, "Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to these toys. Now I see what all the hype was about."

Critics unfortunately don't really matter, unless all the people that went to see Transformers said "Huh, well the critics said it was mediocre, so I'm going to go see it.

Blozor wrote:As far as I'm concerned, they stole our moment of glory and made it into a toy commercial arguably as well-written as the 1980's cartoon.

No worries, doesn't work for everyone!
Briggs
Headmaster

Postby Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 am

I was one who went for the AllSpark *curing* him, but I've since jumped the fence and went with Orci's explanation as it makes more sense and doesn't make me think as much :D

I get the whole budget thing, I just think maybe it would have been better to leave JAzz out of that scene directly.. because he looked a bit like a jerk just sitting there :P
Briggs
Headmaster

Postby Skowl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 am

Nice to see Orci come back, I always liked the guy, he has a great rapport with the fans.

Ehren Kruger is also an interesting choice, and given his prior work, I think he's a positive addition to the team.

I'm glad they didn't change too much around. When franchises make drastic changes to their horse mid-stream, sometimes the results can be less than satisfactory (see X-Men 3)
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby dabattousai » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:59 am

Megatron better be back. He didn't have much screen time nor did the Decepticons get much character developement in the first one.
dabattousai
Combiner

Postby Seibertron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:02 am

Briggs wrote:
Blozor wrote:The critics gave it slightly higher than mediocre marks because they said it was good for what it is: A two-hour toy commercial. I didn't want it to be a "two-hour toy commerical." I didn't want people to go, "That's what I expected." I wanted people to go, "Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to these toys. Now I see what all the hype was about."

Critics unfortunately don't really matter, unless all the people that went to see Transformers said "Huh, well the critics said it was mediocre, so I'm going to go see it.

Transformers was much more than a 2 hour toy commercial. It was also a 2 hour car commercial and a 2 hour pro-military movie.

It's Transformers folks. What more do you want? Transformers will never have the epic and coherent feel of the Star Wars franchise. I feel like so many of you want Transformers to be treated like Star Wars. It's never going to happen. Transformers was originally conceived as a toyline that was immediately marketed as a comic book and a cartoon. Star Wars was originally conceived as a science fiction fantasy movie first and it became a comic/cartoon/toy series later down the road. Hasbro, a toy company, is in charge of the Transformers brand. Star Wars has George Lucase in charge. Two different agendas. Two different concepts.

Transformers will always be a 30 minute toy commercial. That's what they are.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Switchpoint » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:06 am

I for one am glad that the same team is in place to do the second one. The first movie is what it is...love it or hate it...there is no changing it. I like the first one, but I can sure respect the opinions of those who don't.
The same team doing the second one will ensure the same feel as the first. I hate it when you have a movie that you like or love, and then the sequel comes out with a totally different director, writer, producer, etc. Most of the time in these instances the movie fails compared to the first one. The feel of the fist one (or 2)is missing. *cough*xmen3*cough*.
My wife says I'm too picky, and I probably am, but it's the way I feel.
"Come on out Autobot. We all must die sometime."
Switchpoint
Minibot

Postby Leonardo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 am

I can see what you're saying. I like it when continuity is maintained.
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby tile_mcgillus » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:25 am

Seibertron wrote:
Briggs wrote:

Transformers was much more than a 2 hour toy commercial. It was also a 2 hour car commercial and a 2 hour pro-military movie.

It's Transformers folks. What more do you want? Transformers will never have the epic and coherent feel of the Star Wars franchise. I feel like so many of you want Transformers to be treated like Star Wars. It's never going to happen. Transformers was originally conceived as a toyline that was immediately marketed as a comic book and a cartoon. Star Wars was originally conceived as a science fiction fantasy movie first and it became a comic/cartoon/toy series later down the road. Hasbro, a toy company, is in charge of the Transformers brand. Star Wars has George Lucase in charge. Two different agendas. Two different concepts.

Transformers will always be a 30 minute toy commercial. That's what they are.

I think you are trying to be a realist. However, It seem more like a case of lowered expectations.
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR Transformers Studio Series 86-03 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
BLURR Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL + RATTRAP Transformers War Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix 2021"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL + R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIER Transformers War Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K27 RHINOX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K27 RHINOX Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S16 PTERAXADON Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Battle Master 2019 New"
WFC-S16 PTERAXADON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover A IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K13 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K13 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K7 PALEOTREX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K7 PALEOTREX T ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Skywarp Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON