An Armada Like None Other

An Armada Like None Other

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 3:24pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Auctions
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 40,335

Proud. Egotistical. Way in over his head. Those are many of the words that describe Starscream. It can also be used to describe the many collectors who 'believe' that they have the Ultimate Transformers' collection. Two and a half decades have passed since the creation of the first Transformers toys, and to be able to obtain everything that was released till our present day; Exclusives, Lucky Draws, and everything else, is just nigh impossible and unlikely maintainable. That's why for those with not such a lucrative budget, like myself, try to aim to collect Transformers within a single generation, toyline, or simply collect figures that we find attractive or interesting.

A particular toyline is what Seibertron.com member rikkomba had in mind, as he had his hearts set out in completing the entire Armada series. Not only was his eyes aimed on obtaining that, but he wanted to obtain every mini-con that had been released since Armada's origins in 2002. What he has today is not something that he 'believes' to have complete. It should be considered fact that he's the first person to ever complete a full Armada/Mini-con collection. So, what, right? A complete collection is not anything to be taken lightly at all. Whether you're a fan of Armada, hate the series completely, or have avoided it's existence, I recommend that you take a look at this collection and pay your respects to it.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

As an Armada enthusiast, I was surprised to see just what was in this collection. It's hard to fathom just what rikkomba has been able to obtain all these years. Everything that he sees fit to put into this collection revolves around one aspect; If the figure is a mini-con, or has a mini-con included in it, it's in this collection. He's got the original Armada molds, both Hasbro and Takara, and everything that has been repainted out of them, including Botcon figures. He's got every mini-con released, be it repainted or the originals. And then there's figures that many will never see face to face in their lifetime, Lucky Draw Armada figures. Now, I could go over everything that is in this collection, but that would take a ridiculous amount of time. I've decided to piece over what Armada figures that are the most elusive, and downright impressive.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

We start off with one of the most elusive and grandeur Armada repaints of them all. Lucky Draw Green Unicron, a repaint of Armada Unicron. He goes by many names, Shining Unicron, Unicron of light, and Shining Unicron of Light. What did you need to do to obtain this figure? Well it was a Lucky Draw after all. You had to send in a postcard that was included in a Micron Legend Year book in 2003. Getting picked, would give you one of 10 Green Unicrons. Sadly, it has become even more rare as some of the owners of these Green Unicrons decided that they would split the package in two, by selling off Green Unicron's mini-con partner. Why they did this, no one will ever know.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

Next up is what rikkomba claims to be the rarest Lucky Draw Combiner, and it wouldn't be far off to believe him. What composes this Lucky Draw Combiner JetConvoy is Lucky Draw Jetfire, a repaint of Armada Jetfire, whom rikkomba explains that only 5 exist. The other part is Lucky Draw Convoy Super Mode, repaint of Armada Optimus Prime, in which he says there are only 58 of them. Why there are 58 of one component, and merely 5 of the other is something that we'll never know. All I know is that I wish anyone good luck trying to obtain Lucky Draw JetConvoy.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

Moving over to the little guys, mini-cons, we piece over what rikkomba says to be one of the most elusive mini-cons teams to obtain. The Space Galaxy Team. Only 400 of each mini-con were made, and to get one of the three mini-cons, you needed to purchase Takara Optimus Prime, which was priced around 50$. That means you needed to consider buying 3 Optimus Prime's in order to completely gather up this team. From what rikkomba says, many people are stuck with just 1 or 2 components of the Space Galaxy Team, so having all 3 would be a great feat. The Space Galaxy Team is a black and white repaint of the Destruction Mini-Con Team, who respectively are Buzzsaw, Drill Bit, and Dualor.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

The last look at this collection features one of the most intriguing sets of mini-cons. 15 different mini-cons have been dubbed the DVD Exclusive Mini-cons. In order to obtain these 5 different repainted mini-cons teams, you needed to buy each volume of Takara's Armada DVD series. Each volume contained a one mini-con(excluding Volume 1, which contained 3) , a series of the Linkage comic, and the DVD itself. There were THIRTEEN volumes. Imagine the time and money needed to obtain these mini-cons. Another key component of the volumes were the Linkage comic, and you can check out a translated version of it here.

The Fifteen DVD Exclusive Mini-cons;

Super Stunt Team, repaint of the Street Speed Team;
Redline, Servo, Flatout;
Speed Chaser Team, repaint of the Race Team;
Tailslide, Midship, Top Gear;
Sonic Assualt Team, repaint of the Air Military Team;
Falcia, Combusta, Twirl;
Hazard Team, repaint of the Emergency Team;
Kingbolt, Quench, Impulse;
Aqua Raider Team, repaint of the Sea Team;
Sunburn, Freeboot, Bilge
Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

Now we come to the closing point of this. Unfortunately the main reason why I decided to focus on rikkomba's collection is because he has to part with his collection. Due to a new career, he needs to sell of this collection. That's right, the Ultimate Armada Collection could possibly end up in your hands. If you have $14,000 US floating around, and deem yourself worthy to possess this collection, then by all means, take a look at his Ebay auction.

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

This is the most complete Armada/Mini-con collection that anyone can ever see. This is a piece of Transformers history. Spanding over 600 mini-cons and over 150 larger figures, this is something of a dream for anyone to obtain. The amount of time, dedication, bidding wars, research and commitment that rikkomba has put into this collection is just simply awe inspiring. If you're interested in looking at what else rikkomba has in his collection, you can check it out here. As a fan, I wonder if there are other series that have been singled out by other collectors. Is there a complete Beast Wars collection out there? RID? Energon? By all means, let us know in the Energon Pub. Even if you don't have such a massive collection, please consider showing off what you have in our Collections Forum!

Re: The world's first Armada AND Minicon collection... has to go :-(

So, has looking at this collection inspired the 'collector' in you? Well take in consideration one last thing. rikkomba doesn't reside in Hasbro's hub of the United States, nor does he reside in Takara's headquarters in Japan. No, our humble member has completed this collection while living in Italy. Go figure.

~Blurrz
Seibertron.com News Crew

Credit(s): rikkomba

This article was last modified on Thursday, August 6th, 2009 3:45pm CDT

Re: An Armada Like None Other (969152)
Posted by Seibertron on August 6th, 2009 @ 3:40pm CDT

Best of luck to you with selling it. It's a shame that you are devaluing the collection so much by attempting to sell it as a lot instead of as individual pieces. You are eliminating a ton of potential buyers of these items who might be looking for some of the pieces you've got but can't afford the whole collection.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969157)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 6th, 2009 @ 3:45pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Very awesome collection ... it amazes me that I own so many Transformers yet there are still so many foreign exclusives that elude (and most likely will always elude) my massive 3,000+ Transformers collection. Would love to have that Lucky Draw Unicron in my collection. One day. Maybe. After Grand Maximus and the other Japanese exclusives are in my collection. And after I win the lotto. Which I don't play.

::Raises hand::
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969162)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on August 6th, 2009 @ 3:56pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:

::Raises hand::

Raises hand higher...

The thing that kills me is that I'll have about $12K US in liquid assets in September. My wife *would* divorce me I used it on this instead of what we planned, but it might just be worth it.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969167)
Posted by Jetstorm92210 on August 6th, 2009 @ 4:09pm CDT
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969191)
Posted by Swiftpaw on August 6th, 2009 @ 5:08pm CDT
I can imagine how the poor guy must feel! I have 95% of what was released in the US for Beast Wars (I don't count exclusives though I have some so I can call it 'complete' as far as I care) and I know I'd hate to have to sell that.

That was fun, but after that, I stopped trying to collect -every-thing in a line, and focused on just getting one of every mold for the most part. I ocassionally go for completing certain subgroups though, like my set of Classics Seekers!
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969224)
Posted by lunglad on August 6th, 2009 @ 6:13pm CDT
i imagine that dude is feeling like hes lost a thousand dogs, putting that much time and effort into the collection and having to sack it all off. i mean, i've had to sack loads of things off to progress in adult life (apparantly) i just hope trannies will never be one of them. errrrmmmm i mean transformers. cough cough
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969225)
Posted by Editor on August 6th, 2009 @ 6:16pm CDT
That collection and that it's on the auction block is the sole reason I'll be buying a lotto ticket tonight. If I was to win big, i would buy that collection in an instant.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969244)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on August 6th, 2009 @ 7:34pm CDT
Holy crap thats a lot of repaints. Main reason why ill never complete a toyline. Id rather have every mold then ever incarnation of a toy from a certain line. Still it is an impressive collection. My condolences for your loss. It really has to suck to put all that time and money into completing some thing you obviously love then have to sell it. But then again youll be 14k richer then you were. And it can always be redone later on in life. If you ask me it should be sold for 20k.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969376)
Posted by -L- on August 6th, 2009 @ 11:29pm CDT
Rikkomba this is the most beautiful collection I have ever seen :D ! It's sad that you have to part with it though :( . I gotta ask from one Micron collector to another, Where did you find Deepdive? (submarine included in the "Giant Planet Min-con Team") Cause Ihave searched high and low for one but cant find him :'( If you could lend a Hand that'd be great! Those LD's must have cost you a fortune! it's amazing how many you have! must be the most LD's in one collection that I've seen! If you have an extra Deeppdive lying around I wouldn't complain if you wanted to eh get rid of it :3
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969385)
Posted by Norcinu on August 6th, 2009 @ 11:51pm CDT
D8 Wow. Just, wow. The entire Armada collection, that’s just amazing. It’s sad that you have to part with it so best wishes to your new career and congratulations; your collection is truly amazing.

Also if you decide to sell anything separately, like just the Armada Starscream with Swindle for instance, let me know :grin:
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969428)
Posted by Blurrz on August 7th, 2009 @ 2:03am CDT
Ooh, the Auction is gone. Did it sell?
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969433)
Posted by LiKwid on August 7th, 2009 @ 2:54am CDT
I've been checking on it as well..I'm thinking Rikko either had second thoughts or hes gonna break up the collection and sell it in peices..Personally that Shining Unicron is priceless..We would have to get to 5 digits alone to sell it .. I'm anxious to see what happened to auction though..
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969437)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 7th, 2009 @ 3:06am CDT
my dream would be to have the entire run of G1
I have a good chunk of it but still I want more
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969448)
Posted by alldarker on August 7th, 2009 @ 4:12am CDT
Blurrz wrote:Ooh, the Auction is gone. Did it sell?

No, it's still on e-Bay. Like rikkomba explained in an earlier post, he received a zero-feedback BIN bid which was probably less than serious, so he had to relist it.

So if you still want it, I'd say, good luck! To be honest, this is a whole lot more value for your buck than these would have been (no disrespect meant, BTW, I know the legendary status of these items)!

But like others have said to rikkomba: DO NOT SELL THESE. You will regret it, especially for this price. Just find another way, get a job, sell something else...
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969551)
Posted by autobot-jolt on August 7th, 2009 @ 8:59am CDT
wow. :shock:

that's an amazing collection, rikkomba. you must have worked very hard to achieve that collection. i hope that your collection goes to a good home.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969838)
Posted by rikkomba on August 7th, 2009 @ 6:07pm CDT
Mykltron wrote:Cancel the auction. You WILL regret selling these in the future. Box them up and send them by courier to wherever you are going or store them with a relative. You should at least keep the rare ones like lucky draws.

Well, as I managed to get to this level from August 2003 to October 2008, I guess I could do it again. And I would already know what to do and where to look for everything I am selling. An added value of this auction is the countless hours of online hunting that are gonna be spared to the new owner, as brilliantly stressed by Blurrz in its article.
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969842)
Posted by rikkomba on August 7th, 2009 @ 6:17pm CDT
ausbot wrote:Want shining unicron, must sell kidney!

I didn't sell any kidney to get it. I just put some more strategy into my TF shopping ;-)
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969845)
Posted by rikkomba on August 7th, 2009 @ 6:22pm CDT

Thanks Ryan!
Well, I guess this collection's gallery would be a major asset to Seibertron. Maybe a group buy would achieve this, it would be really nice, actually. Grand Maximus is a very nice figure, but I guess LD Unicron is much harder to get, regardless of the price (a MISB Grand Maximus would ask for TWO kidneys I guess).

I know, I am indeed devaluing a lot these items... but I really had no time at all during last year to focus on selling my TFs, my graduation came first... and took all my time. But the main point is, the first reason why I had fun while collecting Armada and minicons was because I was BUILDING something. Brick after brick (no pun intended) I got all variants of each mold. This is the reason why now I feel that my collection makes sense only if you consider it as a whole. I am not proud of ust having Lucky Draw Unicron, Convoy and Jetfire: I am proud of having all existing versions of Unicron, Armada OP and Jetfire, including the rarest versions, the LDs. This is what makes me proud when looking at what I did. It's not "I have this and I am the coolest" but "wow, look at all of them together!". That's why I prefer to get less money rather than destroying what I created. If the new owner will dismantle everything it will be his problem, not mine: it will be just right so. 8)
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969846)
Posted by bvzxa on August 7th, 2009 @ 6:22pm CDT
rikkomba wrote:
ausbot wrote:Want shining unicron, must sell kidney!

:MINI: :MINI: Amazing collection. Man...I wanna say I hope your PhD pays off, becasue If you're making a bundle of cash, you'll have your stuff back in no time.

The best way to buy hard to find TF's is strategically...I'm doing that right now.

Good luck to you sir!!
Re: An Armada Like None Other (969848)
Posted by rikkomba on August 7th, 2009 @ 6:25pm CDT
Jetstorm9221 wrote:rikkomba, my friend, you have inspired me, once I get a job I'll complete Classics and Universe and then I'll start with Cybertron (damn Soundblaster). Awesome collection, :APPLAUSE:. I'm sure it will find a nice home.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Selects Shattered Glass Ratchet and Optimus..." on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME CYBERVERSE LOT 2012 Starscream Ratchet Arcee - Weapons Parts" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power Charge Bumblebee Volkswagen VW Bug Beetle With Original Box" on EBAY
Buy "Energon Armor IACONUS Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Ultimate Class 2020" on EBAY
Buy "Optimus Prime Battle Base Trailer Transformers Cyberverse Energon Axe Attack New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power Primes Beachcomber Hot Rod Cyberverse Megatron Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures - Deluxe Class Grimlock" on EBAY
Buy "NIB Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Repugnus Revenge Target Exclusive Figure" on EBAY