iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike

iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike

Thursday, August 10th, 2017 11:33pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 13,440

Via iTunes, we have the short preview for IDW First Strike #2, an IDW event featuring Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Micronauts, Revolutionaries and more! The images have been enlarged and mirrored below, and we will expect a more substantial preview in the next week or so too - so stay tuned for more!

The crossover of the year continues! Scarlett learns the truth behind Baron Ironbloodês plan to destroy all life on Cybertron, but with her team stranded on Earth, she must turn to an unlikely ally to help her reach the besieged planet. Enter: Soundwave!

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1903622)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on August 11th, 2017 @ 12:05am CDT
so Till All Are One got cancelled to make room for this?!
terrible decision IDW. this is why you're losing readers.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1903623)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 11th, 2017 @ 12:09am CDT
Not really. TAAO was cancelled because of low sales. First Strike was an event that was going to happen anyways. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1903646)
Posted by Windsweeper on August 11th, 2017 @ 4:28am CDT
I'm kind of liking this so far. Those cyber Ninjas remind me of the Cobra Night Creeper Ninjas from the 90s.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1903654)
Posted by Randomhero on August 11th, 2017 @ 6:14am CDT
SG Roadbuster wrote:so Till All Are One got cancelled to make room for this?!
terrible decision IDW. this is why you're losing readers.

Yes this comic that's been set up for the past 6-9 months totally canceled till all are one. Or you could read scotts statement on why till all are one is gone.

Either way.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905341)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 20th, 2017 @ 6:27am CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905435)
Posted by william-james88 on August 20th, 2017 @ 8:17pm CDT
We had an iTunes sneak peak for IDW's First Strike #2 last week, and now we have a full preview courtesy of CBR. Enjoy!

STORY BY
David Rodriguez and Mairghread Scott

ART BY
Max Dunbar

COLORS BY
Ander Zarate

LETTERS BY
Tom B. Long

COVER BY
Alex Ronald, Davide Fabbri, Freddie E. Williams II, Jay Fosgitt, Leonardo Manco, Max Dunbar, and Rob Duenas

PUBLISHER
IDW Publishing

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905841)
Posted by ScottyP on August 22nd, 2017 @ 8:28pm CDT
It's not bad. It's not doing it for me either. I think First Strike actually does suffer a little from an overbooking of GI Joe characters. They have most of their team and the villainous presence is primarily Cobra. Meanwhile there are no Micronauts, no Revolutionaries/Action Man/AM Programme, Rom is having coffee and a bagel, and the Combaticons are guarding the other half dozen named Transformers.

I get it, Hasbro wants the resuscitated corpse of GI Joe to somehow gain back some glory. It makes sense. It's just not working for me yet.

... now that I mention Combaticons, a Bruticus v Predaking encounter in this series would make me forgive some of the attempts at Protecting The Brand.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905844)
Posted by Kurona on August 22nd, 2017 @ 8:42pm CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905927)
Posted by ScottyP on August 23rd, 2017 @ 8:11am CDT
That's a great analogy. I can't say this series is bad. Can't say I have strong positive emotions towards it either though.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905962)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 23rd, 2017 @ 9:57am CDT
Review of First Strike Issue #2 - A Hasbro Comic Event -
(or is it 2nd strike now? or Strike 1.1?), it's got a couple of spoils.

“The hardest part of this whole mess is knowing that you’ll be the one to try and stop me.”
“So I see this as my chance to tell you, this isn’t what I wanted,”
wrote the mentor to the student…

-Last time-
Earth was about to be officially ‘welcomed’ to the intergalactic council on Cybertron with Marissa Fairborne being sworn in as the ambassador. Then everything went about the exact opposite of how they all wanted it to. Baron Ironblood and his allies of evil infiltrated the grand event and started to attack the populace of Cybertron. But, what’s the main play here? Surely, even a seemingly infinite group of cyber- wraith red ninja and some rowdy dreadnoks, Iron Grenadiers, and BATS wouldn’t really be threatening for very long, right?

-This time-
“...I hope you take what happens next as a compliment.”

Be a tad leery if you are worried about continuity alignment, released materials, and chronologically happening events. Revolutionaries #8, the final issue, was supposed to be completed before this came out, as was MASK #10, which also hasn’t been released yet. This issue continues to reveal things that might have been uncertain at the end of the Revolutionaries series, or that MASK issue, but none seemingly as big as the ruined revelation issue #1 provided.

Amongst the chaos begun last issue- Baron Ironblood’s force of ninjas and dreadnoks attacking Cybertronians- and the human delegation; the larger plot begins to unfold as the other evil allies involved advance the real threat- poisoning all the inhabitants of Cybertron via the food supply -their energon. A seemingly simple, but effective plan— at least that is their evil hope— using Shazraella (of the evil Micronauts) and her enerchange abilities, and the talisman which was the focus of Revolutionaries, in some as yet, unclear way. Genocide them before they genocide us. If there is anything we find out from Coltan's inner-thoughts its that he's on what he believes is a last possible solution for the Earth's robot problem.

Oh yes, and on the more political side, the Solstar Order gets involved to make things even more difficult, but perhaps not how you might expect. The council delegates all start trying to pin blame, and not do much problem solving. Marissa loosens her sassy ambassador chops on Elita One after taking one too many jabs about being a tiny useless flesh-covered bug. There’s no crying in intergalactic politics Elita! Suck it up! You've been served...*add choice cliche here*

As Srgt. Savage would say, 'Boo-YAH!'

Meanwhile, on the planet Earth, Scarlett, the Joes, MASK, Soundwave, and some of the Earthbound Autobots look to find a way to travel to Cybertron to help out those already there. Victorion twins, Skyburst and Stormclash, show their engineering prowess and build their character as they work to get the group to their goal, not entirely completed by the too-quick-in-coming end of the issue.

-Art-
The art by Max Dunbar (lines and inks) are gorgeous! Lots of detail, well-crafted battles with jumbles of red ninjas, BATS, and Iron Grenadiers seemingly everywhere, and yet he makes it work, and it never seems TOO over the top, or any more messy than one would want to portray this chaotic moment. I love most of his panels, be it humans or robots. I thought the first pages were a bit more polished than the last, but I also think that’s nit-picky, of me. The shadows and line work, the clouds, explosions, movement implied, facial expressions, and weapons fire all come off beautifully. Just when you think you might be having some trouble comparing the depth, weight, and size of all the varied characters, low and behold, here comes a panel that helps to make size relationships clear.

I wonder what I should have for lunch today? Did I turn the lights off before leaving and lock the doors? I've got to remember to pick up my other dry-cleaning after the incursion.

Max couldn’t have accomplished the visual story-telling as well as he has without the colors by Andar Zarate which do very well in making Max’s work come to life. Cybertron is mostly bright, which seemed kind of odd, and Earth was very dark most of the time, being underwater, and at night for most of its action. BUT it all works well together to visually tell the story.

Never forget, Tom B. Long does the art team's letter work and I think it’s almost always a job taken for granted (except when it doesn't work - then you really notice) even though our review team does try to always recognize the entire team’s efforts in the storytelling, as well. I gush on Tom all the time. Ka-thoom, brother, Ka-thoom.

-Writing-
As you can tell, I wanted to focus on the word-smithing a little bit at the beginning of the review. The versatile Mairghread Scott and David A. Rodriguez are crafting a very fun, and action-filled Hasbro crossover here. It’s only the second issue so we don’t know all that the duo have planned for this series, but it’s starting out promising, and doesn’t require the setup that Revolution had to do for the Hasbro-verse. Say what you will about Revolution, it and the individual comics that sprung from it, have already introduced what needed to be done for First Strike, and now we can just get to the evil plots and lots of action! It seems like there’s certainly more coming that not even the ‘poisoning of the well’ is meant to be THE complication and climax of the series. Oh, there’s more coming, but the set up has been really nice.

Talk to the hand! (I couldn't resist)

I’ve enjoyed reading the expounded mid-combat banter between the Joe forces on Earth and hearing the inner dialogue from Baron Ironblood as he continues to justify his actions of siding with the very enemies whose ideals he fought for so long. So far, he hasn’t really had much strife about it. But I wonder if he and his protege might have a bit of moment soon…one that may turn his thinking again.

-Add-On- The Origins of Evil Part Two: A Game of Chess-
There’s a secondary story in this issue, just like in the last, that works to explain how this group of evil doers came to side with one formerly super do-gooder, Joe Coltan. Enter Destro- who should probably hate Joe Colton and dispose of him on the spot. So does he? There’s money to made somehow of course…so probably not (and that little 'Colton's still alive' detail). Read it to find out the nitty-gritty. And by the way, there’s a whole other creative team to recognize for this tale that includes pencils by Netho Diaz, tight inks by Walden Wong, and David Garcia Cruz throws down the deep dark colors, of this short, written by John Barber. These pieces have supported the more action-oriented piece of the main story very well, offering the origin of the group that’s attacking Cybertron, and delving into their motivations. It’s a great companion that might have been fine interspersed among the ‘regular’ story, but I’m sure they thought about that, and might have considered what it might do to interrupt the pacing, and comprehensibility of the overall issue(s).

Show me the MONEY!

-Final Thoughts-
I have really enjoyed the first two issues of this series so far! The art has been superb, the story-telling well-paced, fun, and dramatic, and enough eye candy for Hasbro-universe folks of all kinds to enjoy. I LOVED seeing the VENOM Outlaw, and the Cobra Razorback show up this issue. I just hope that we get to see them in a bigger combat situation later on! Bring on more treats as such.

I'd like a burger, fries, small soda, oh and a chocolate milk shake, please...

The hardest part of suspending my disbelief for enjoying this series so far is that war torn, experienced vets like Optimus Prime, and Ironhide are retreating (literally running!) from a gaggle of cyber-ninja (a naggle?), BATS, Iron Grenadiers, and those crazy, moralless dreadnoks albeit with some high tech weapons. I know there’s a LOT of those baddies (effectively portrayed visually), and the heroes are thinking of the safety of the Earth delegation, and the peaceful Cybertron populace, but really, Ironhide and his ‘badgeless’, or his new security forces, aren’t a match for this? I understand an initial surprise, and possible panic, but really? Ah well, I’m still going to enjoy it, and I won’t let this bother me too much, as I’m pretty sure the diversionary attack will get quelled pretty quickly in the next issue (combiners? pest control?) and the focus will be on the secondary threat. RECOMMENDED READ for TF fans (it is happening on Cybertron; lots of bots involved)!

Optimus wants me to give it 5 of 5, but I'm going with...
:HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: 1/2 out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:

Plenty of awesome covers to choose from, but I really enjoy COVER D by Rob Duenas. Very bulky, big detailed figures, and the inclusion of fat tankor and Sigma Six looking weapons…love it! Check out these close ups, and the full image in the thumb nail!

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1905967)
Posted by Randomhero on August 23rd, 2017 @ 10:17am CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1906024)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:50pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Yeah, unlike Revolution which was rage-inducingly bad, this feels more... 'eh'. It's happening, it's annoying it's happening, but it's not awful and I guess I'll just wait for the actual comics to come back. This is like waiting for a bus and it's taking a while, so you just shrug and get out your phone to play snake or candy crush or that Magikarp game only I like. Revolution was like waiting for a bus that's been delayed several times while your phone's out of power, there's no roof to the bus stop while it's raining heavily, and some douchebag beside you keeps going on about how totally awesome he is and you just want him to stop.

That's a little much. Revolution is no gem, but it's a fun, bombastic show of throwing all the toys in the box and letting them go wild.

Personally, I like that First Strike is doing the opposite. This is very much a smaller story, focusing on the Joes (and MASK) and the Transformers. And really, this story is a lot more of a character driven story for Scarlett, who really is the main character here.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1906037)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 23rd, 2017 @ 3:38pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:This is a good issue and good story! I'm sure plenty have written it off before issue one dropped but this is worth picking up! It's probably not as transformer heavy as some want especially being on Cybertron but it's a nice post TAAO story that concludes certain things. Carcer is up in orbit again, Windblade back to her old self which for me doesn't need more explaining. She recovered and walked out in the final issue and she's fine.

Those are great points that I should have included in my review!

I love how Fairborne just put Elita One in her place...
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1906039)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 23rd, 2017 @ 3:41pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:

Indeed, I agree... especially in your Scarlett point. I think we're building toward that. This is the next GI JOE VS. Transformers (not done by Scioli). In fact, it reminds me of the previous GI JOE/TF with SERPENTO.R., but now it's cannon and built up to and referenced through the regular comics!
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1906063)
Posted by ScottyP on August 23rd, 2017 @ 5:34pm CDT
I'm glad folks are enjoying this one. Idk what switch clicked, maybe I'm just grumpy today but this one did little for me. I can't beat it up but I think it's just that its cast is comprised of mostly characters that I don't have a strong connection to. Windblade and Ironhide are great but in these event books they just seem to be present and accounted for but not important.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1907805)
Posted by ScottyP on August 31st, 2017 @ 6:05pm CDT
Via iTunes, we have the first preview for IDW Publishing and Hasbro's latest foray into Total Brand Awareness. This takes the form of the usual first three pages, this time for the upcoming First Strike #3. Soundwave, Skyburst, Stormclash, Scarlett's GI Joe team, and even M.A.S.K. are ready to punch and kick their way through Castle Destro to accomplish their goals and achieve a holistic, synergistic team-up of brand partnership.

It looks like you'll be able to take a deep dive into consumer engagement with the entire issue on September 13th, and we've mirrored the preview pages below for your immediate enjoyment. Let us know what you think in the Energon Pub Forums once you've peeled back the onion on these pages by replying to this news post.

Keep it here at Seibertron.com for all the latest about First Strike and other Hasbro Universe comics from IDW Publishing featuring the Transformers!
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1907823)
Posted by Budder Prime on August 31st, 2017 @ 8:52pm CDT
"I prefer to think of everyone else as profoundly deaf."
Once again, Soundwave gives an awesome quote.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1907824)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 31st, 2017 @ 9:18pm CDT
It's nice to see Stormclash and Skyburst getting a little more characterization. Hopefully we'll see more of it in this issue.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1907841)
Posted by ricemazter on August 31st, 2017 @ 11:02pm CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW First Strike #2 #HasbroFirstStrike (1907853)
Posted by steve2275 on September 1st, 2017 @ 12:35am CDT
ricemazter wrote:How can people claim Optimus Prime is tyrannical? How has he affected policy on earth in the slightest aside from providing people with humanitarian aid and fighting other invading aliens? As far as I can tell, he hasn't done anything.

got that right

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON PIN BY TOM WHALEN MONDO 2019 SDCC COMIC CON EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "transformers metroplex sdcc titan class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "POO SHAM; Transformers BotBots 2018, Toilet Troop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Trailbreaker Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots: Meet High Tide [Passport to Reading]" on EBAY