New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser

New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser

Sunday, April 3rd, 2016 3:16pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 35,132

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

With under a week left to BotCon 2016, the official event comic - Dawn of the Predacus - writer John-Paul Bove has tweeted another teaser for what the story will be doing to the current established continuity and its narrative. You can check it out mirrored below, featuring art by Corin Howell!

To find out more about the comic, why not check out the interview we did with JP here on Seibertron.com too?

Transformers News: New IDW/BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser

Credit(s): JP Bove


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777673)
Posted by Va'al on April 3rd, 2016 @ 4:08pm CDT
And here's the question: do the images shown in that third panel hint at what the souvenirs might be..?
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777678)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 3rd, 2016 @ 4:22pm CDT
You thinking rhinox and primal? I hard a time of spotting ravage at first.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777679)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on April 3rd, 2016 @ 4:24pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:And here's the question: do the images shown in that third panel hint at what the souvenirs might be..?


Not necessarily: Primal and Rhinox seem to be based on their Dawn of Future's Past bodies, heavily stylised. The exhausts on the sides of Rhinox' head (C-Landmine) and the wheels on Primal's arms (C-Crumplezone) have me thinking that.

If anything, the souvenirs may be based on FubPub's rendition of Transformers: The Movie... Shattered Glass style (Out of the One, Many...), with:

Checkpoint, the Guardian out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Prowl)
... and his huntsmen, The Autotroopers out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Inferno and SG Ratchet)
X-Brawn, the Champion out of Rook (formerly SG Brawn)


New or unused pretooled heads of course.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777684)
Posted by Va'al on April 3rd, 2016 @ 4:36pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:And here's the question: do the images shown in that third panel hint at what the souvenirs might be..?


Not necessarily: Primal and Rhinox seem to be based on their Dawn of Future's Past bodies.


Ah, yes, of course! My bad. :D
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777714)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:16pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:If anything, the souvenirs may be based on FubPub's rendition of Transformers: The Movie... Shattered Glass style (Out of the One, Many...), with:

Checkpoint, the Guardian out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Prowl)
... and his huntsmen, The Autotroopers out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Inferno and SG Ratchet)
X-Brawn, the Champion out of Rook (formerly SG Brawn)


New or unused pretooled heads of course.
But none of those match what we know about the souvenirs, especially that none of them are Shattered Glass characters.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777722)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:31pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:If anything, the souvenirs may be based on FubPub's rendition of Transformers: The Movie... Shattered Glass style (Out of the One, Many...), with:

Checkpoint, the Guardian out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Prowl)
... and his huntsmen, The Autotroopers out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Inferno and SG Ratchet)
X-Brawn, the Champion out of Rook (formerly SG Brawn)


New or unused pretooled heads of course.
But none of those match what we know about the souvenirs, especially that none of them are Shattered Glass characters.


Well, their role in the whole seems to be as protagonists, considering a good SG Unicron created them. So they're no longer SG Autobots, so SG no longer applies to them, right? But that's a debate for a different thread.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777726)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:43pm CDT
I really don't know what to make of it other than the fact that it looks really cool :MAXIMAL:
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777727)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:45pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:If anything, the souvenirs may be based on FubPub's rendition of Transformers: The Movie... Shattered Glass style (Out of the One, Many...), with:

Checkpoint, the Guardian out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Prowl)
... and his huntsmen, The Autotroopers out of Trailbreaker (formerly SG Inferno and SG Ratchet)
X-Brawn, the Champion out of Rook (formerly SG Brawn)


New or unused pretooled heads of course.
But none of those match what we know about the souvenirs, especially that none of them are Shattered Glass characters.


Well, their role in the whole seems to be as protagonists, considering a good SG Unicron created them. So they're no longer SG Autobots, so SG no longer applies to them, right? But that's a debate for a different thread.
We already know the factions and descriptions of most of the souvenirs and none of them fit those guys.

Souvenir centerpiece figure - TM3 Megatron

CW Legends Souvenir troop builder 3-pack - faction unknown but maybe Maximals (same CW Legends mold as the Golden Ticket figure, who is a non-BW character related to a familiar G1 character)

Non-CW Deluxe souvenir - A Maximal

CW Deluxe souvenir - most likely a Maximal

Other single souvenir - both mold and faction are unknown but it might also be a CW Deluxe Maximal.

And one of the latter three above features a headsculpt not found at U.S. retail (this is suspected to be the non-CW Deluxe souvenir). And an announcement mentioned there being CW Maximals for sale at BotCon, which is the source for the CW Deluxe souvenir, the unknown souvenir and the troop builder 3-pack possibly all being Maximals.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777731)
Posted by Deadput on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:50pm CDT
Whats with Prowl on the left there?

If this takes place after the cartoon would he not be dead or is it just Prowl 2 from the Headmasters?
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777733)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 3rd, 2016 @ 6:58pm CDT
Deadput wrote:Whats with Prowl on the left there?

If this takes place after the cartoon would he not be dead or is it just Prowl 2 from the Headmasters?
The Beast Wars cartoon is not solely tied to the G1 cartoon. It drew from multiple sources when it was made, treating the events of its history's Generation 1 as the stuff of legend and myth. All that happened in the G1 cartoon is not necessarily all that happened in the Beast Wars cartoon's version of G1.

Prowl's being alive here is not an inherent contradiction since we do not know if he ever died in the Beast Wars cartoon's version of G1. If he did, then he must have been resurrected as some point. If he didn't, then he's still alive. Or some dimension-hopping could have happened with this Prowl not being native to the BW cartoon's G1. Or some time travel could be at work with this Prowl being from another time when he was alive. There's several options here.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777739)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 3rd, 2016 @ 7:15pm CDT
I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that the original Prowl, Ironhide and Silverbolt became the Maximal High Council and combine into Magnaboss.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777756)
Posted by Emerje on April 3rd, 2016 @ 8:09pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that the original Prowl, Ironhide and Silverbolt became the Maximal High Council and combine into Magnaboss.


Yeah, and two out of three are right there in the picture. It doesn't fit the ratios we were given, but repaints of CW Ironhide and Prowl in their Magnaboss colors could be interesting.

But more likely it's purely for the story since they were used pretty heavily in the club comics. Plus G1 Ironhide is right there fighting TM3 Megatron (who isn't looking so impressive, pretty small and weak looking).

Emerje
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1777800)
Posted by RevTibe on April 3rd, 2016 @ 10:51pm CDT
If a pre-Beast Magnaboss is in the story, I'd imagine it would just use the existing retail Ironhide, Prowl and Silverbolt. Doing repaints of those three wouldn't really fit what we know about the remaining exclusives.

Maybe 5-bot Magnaboss would just feature two more '84/'85 'bots who die within the story? If it's bridging G1 and BW, there's room for G1 characters to bite the dust (would also explain why Silverbolt is slumming it with Prowl and Ironhide rather than forming Superion).
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778005)
Posted by Railbomb on April 4th, 2016 @ 3:31pm CDT
RevTibe wrote:If a pre-Beast Magnaboss is in the story, I'd imagine it would just use the existing retail Ironhide, Prowl and Silverbolt. Doing repaints of those three wouldn't really fit what we know about the remaining exclusives.

Maybe 5-bot Magnaboss would just feature two more '84/'85 'bots who die within the story? If it's bridging G1 and BW, there's room for G1 characters to bite the dust (would also explain why Silverbolt is slumming it with Prowl and Ironhide rather than forming Superion).


I could see that happening. Hopefully we'll get an offical configuration for Magnaboss in the comic. It might just be the Optimus Maximus limbs on Silverbolt though.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778075)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 4th, 2016 @ 10:32pm CDT
The comic preview on Page 1 of this topic has Silverbolt in his CW toy body, so if there's any combining done between the three in this comic, it'll probably just have the three in their regular retail CW toy bodies.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778631)
Posted by Va'al on April 6th, 2016 @ 9:58pm CDT
Live from a hotel room in Louisville, Kentucky, this slightly jetlagged reviewer brings you a fresh update frome the 2016 BotCon event, in addition to the stellar work the news crew are doing in updating on the ground situation: a review of the event exclusive 'Dawn of the Predacus' comic - read on below!

YYYYEEEeeeeeeEEESSSSSssss...
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
In the last 48 hours of the Great War between Decepticons and Autobots, new measures are taken, paths chosen, fates decided, and acts of sacrifice kickstart a whole new saga...

Image
4-10


Story

A comic which is clearly, undoubtedly, obviously, a pack-in story with a set of toys. A big toy advert. A narrative tying together toys that share a theme. Easy to get wrong. And yet, John-Paul Bove in his first official IDW Transformers writing gig, delivers a story that works on a number of levels.

Image
..precisely


Much as anticipated in the interview we conducted with him, the comic contains a very good balance of fictional universes, setting up threads between G1 and Beast Wars which we both know the developments of, and others that could still yield something very very different - time will tell if we'll get an exploration of the latter, I suppose.

Image
I laughed for a good minute, here


What works particularly well is the blend of lighter-hearted humour to what is, effectively, a fairly dark chapter in the history of the two narratives, and the end of a war in general - once again as a testimony to the two universes, with the G1 gravitas (resulting silly at times) and the BW intentional silliness.

Art

Corin Howell fits this melange excellently, too, with artwork focusing on the fraught, tired, elated - and wonderfully skeptical and sarcastic - emotions that are running amok across the different factions, not just two as we might think. The simpler, cartoony style fits the tone set by the script, and still delivers some great pages with a grim undercurrent.

Image
(Wanted: rubber ducky!)


Both of which are undoubtedly helped by Bove returning in his role as colourist on the book, injecting his own authorial perspective of tonalities and emotive hues to the visual side of things, helped out by letterer Chris Mowry from the IDW stables. The lighting definitely heightens that contrast pointed out above, with contrasting, but not jarring, results.

Image
What maniacal laughter?


Visual and verbal together, you might ask? Read some thoughts below, and make sure to look closer at the two covers available for the comic at the event, variant by Sara Pitre Durocher and string pulling, and 'regular' cover with all the souvenir characters by Robby Musso (both in thumbnail).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Having read this in-hand, on-site, as soon as I possibly could, I feel odd giving a review and a mark to the book but you know what? It's good, and not just as a 'let's featured all the new toys and some old ones and sorta mash them together' way. Compared to previous releases from the BotCon team, we are several notches higher here, even with the full reveal of the souvenir figures in its pages - and even the main cover.

Image
The Knights of Ren Prime


That may very well be Bove's writing, and the control he has over the art with colouring Howell's work, but the synergy between the two is palpable, as the overall tone of the book is set well by mixing light and heavy, positives and negatives, humour and gravitas, past and future. If you get a chance to read the issue, please do. It's truly enjoyable.. in fact, it's just Prime.

. :MAXIMAL: :PREDACON: :MAXIMAL: :PREDACON: out of :MAXIMAL: :PREDACON: :MAXIMAL: :PREDACON: :MAXIMAL:
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778632)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 6th, 2016 @ 10:07pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:

Image


This. This just drove me insane. that is awesome and I love it :MAXIMAL:
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778652)
Posted by Deadput on April 7th, 2016 @ 1:36am CDT
That revelation about a certain Inferno though man it was just you know.


I won't say anything else but those who read it will know what I'm talking about.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1778669)
Posted by Randomhero on April 7th, 2016 @ 6:18am CDT
I'll look forward to reading it in December when diamond releases it...if i remember. Totally spaced off last years which I was surprised about but then again Botcon comics are never a seek to get comic.
Re: New IDW / BotCon 2016 Comic 'Dawn Of The Predacus' Teaser (1781056)
Posted by Va'al on April 14th, 2016 @ 10:23am CDT
*Some people* (Which I Kannot Identify) are being arses about the comic.
JP has some answers.

http://wordmongerer.tumblr.com/post/142 ... mers-story

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
Twincast / Podcast #286:
"They Might Be Giants"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.I.D Firebot Dive Bomb & Instructions Evacuate Override Buzzsaw…" on EBAY