Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys

Saturday, May 4th, 2019 11:09PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 36,986

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. Nathaniel Prime also joins us this week. These are our opinions so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys

The last time we looked at Shockwave was in February 2016 and while it might only be 3 years, it feels like an eternity for this character since it was just a few months later that the floodgates opened for Shockwave toys unlike we had ever seen. With the MP line going full gear the year after followed by both two toylines betting it all on G1 right now, we are getting more of Shockwave than we probably need (or are we?). Point is, lots has happened for that character since the first list so we are doing another one. But to still keep it fresh, we are now doing a top 10 instead of just 5. So let's go!

10. Transformers Alternators Shockblast (Laserwave)

A nice retool that works way better than plain white Jazz IMO. Plus the colors, chunkiness, and the cannon are all there, and he has nice articulation too. -Nathaniel Prime

Transformers News: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys

9. Transformers Energon Shockblast (Laser Wave)

Now this is a fun figure and a nice new take on Shockwave. He has all that you would expect from a Shockwave figure such as a gun arm (the biggest he has ever had!), a perfect headsculpt, and a hexagonal chest. This is a solid figure where everything perfectly clicks and fits together just fine. What I really love is how his cybertronian cannon mode has his head and chest visible (since as with most Shockwaves, the alt modes are rearranged robot parts with no new alt mode detail) but the angle of his head is flush with his shoulder making a smooth uninterrupted surface, hiding the head in plain sight. The robot chest also blends well by being mirrored on the back, adding a nice sense of symmetry and integrating the chest as the alt mode’s body. This figure is an interesting study of contrast between symmetry in the alt mode and asymmetry in the robot mode. It’s like Shockwave himself, perfectly logical, but dark and twisted. -William-James88

Transformers News: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys

And for fun, he also has a 4th fan mode that works ok.

8. Takara Transformers Cloud Shockwave

What impresses me so much about this figure is how it is a straight redeco (all the parts are the same) and yet he totally owns that Whirl mold he is from. Shockwave always had this cold creepy mad scientist vibe to him and the tall lanky bot mode just works so well for him. He ends up with the same perfect headsculpt which is very reminiscent of Energon Shockblast and the claw hands (reminiscent of Animated Shockwave) lend themselves perfectly to this bot who is always known for having odd appendages. He is also a great scale if you want a slightly taller Shockwave in your collection of updated toys from the G1 era. -William-James88

7. Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Shockwave

Combiner Wars Legends Shockwave is a perfectly fine legends class toy and deserves some praise. His alt mode can be both a space ship or a gun which fits in the hands of Combiners, like Bruticus, letting fans recreate a favourite G1 scene. - William-James88

6. Transformers Cyberverse Ultra / Warrior class Shockwave

The general concensus behind the Cybrverse line is that while this gimmick heavy line is far more for kids, there could be one figure that transcends it all: Shockwave (both the Warrior and the Ultra figure).

The colour, is a nice full grape colour. Not too dark ala G1 toy but still very full. The deco is pretty great, with a nice use of panel lining. There are some neatly painted pink highlights across the figures, as if to give a sense of the energy coursing through him. While the alt mode is new for Shockwave, a spider-tank, the desgners did keep gun barrel element from the G1 design on his legs. It's a nice touch. Check out the images below to see how well he can fit in anyone's collection (particularly RID for the warrior class one).

5. Transformers Dark of the Moon Voyager Shockwave

Say what you want about the Bay movies, the design for Shockwave was pretty spot on for that world. He looked like a badass sci fi robot. The portrayal is another story, but the movie design translated perfectly well into the toy, who looked a bit smoother than the usual movie figures up to that point. -William-James88

One of my favorite Bayverse designs that works well with the figure. I really like the inclusion of the rubber hose too. -Nathaniel Prime

4. Transformers Animated Shockwave

This toy is unlike any other Transformer ever designed by Hasbro. Spoilers for the Transformers Animated series abound. The idea behind this toy is for it to be Shockwave disguised as an Autobot who looks completely different with a different alt mode. The real fun is converting him from small stocky Autobot Longarm into the Decepticon Shockwave. The little hands turn into claws, the normal looking autobot face loses his mouth, nose and eyes for only the red cyclops eye to remain and the stocky limbs lengthen to reveal a tall and lean creepy silhouette. Speaking of height, this is a tall voyager figure, just look at that picture of him next to Megatron. I can’t think of that many Transformers which had as much value as this one. Definitely one of the best Transformer toy designs of all time. -William-james88

Animated Shockwave is one of my favorite Animated figures. I love his proportions and his look. Longarm is pretty cool too, and I really like the tank mode in my opinion. - Nathaniel Prime

Transformers News: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys

3. Transformers G1 1985 Shockwave (Laserwave)

The G1 toy is still an amazing toy. Any lack in articulation is offset by the playability factor and heft. It's an awesome space gun that turns into a cool looking robot, the argument stops right there! -William-James88

It still holds up and I really like how he looks, his articulation, and his lights and sounds. - Nathaniel Prime

2. Transformers MP 29+ Shockwave

This is THE Shockwave anyone could ask for. I love that they just modernized his transformation, and added more articulation from his G1 toy. However, the + version is much nicer IMO, I like that purple and grey more. I personally find this to be the best Shockwave figure we have. -Nathaniel Prime

1. Transformers Siege Shockwave

I love how unlike the Mastepriece version, this being a definitive Shockwave figure was just a building block to build more upon. To me this is not the Shockwave figure to own if you can't own the MP (ala POTP Leader Prime). Instead it is simply THE Shockwave to own. - William-James88

He has everything a Shockwave could have in a CHUG size package( properly voyager size too). I really like his extra bits he comes with, and some of his combinations with them are really cool. I really like his superstarship mode, but come on, he finally gets a gun mode in this size, even if he has to Sixshot his way for one. Did I mention his colors and articulation are perfect too? -Nathaniel Prime

Transformers News: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020537)
Posted by steve2275 on May 4th, 2019 @ 11:26pm CDT
switch 5(YUCK) and 6 around
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020539)
Posted by Randomhero on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:12am CDT
Shockwave is my number one favorite character and i cant explain how excited i was when i saw this headline. I own almost every toy of the character and yeah i love them all. Siege Shockwave is without a doubt the best version of the character and i got no problems with anyone on this list but i woulda tossed Prime Shockwave in there maybe more than Cloud Shockwave if not than an honorable mention. It’s one of my favorites from the line not due to the character and his gimmick doesn’t hinder the toy.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020541)
Posted by ausbot on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:24am CDT
you missed the cyber series shockwave my personal favorite.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020542)
Posted by MeGrimlockKing2018 on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:25am CDT
G1 and Masterpiece are the only 2 on this list I agree with but for me its Cyber Battalion Shockwave if just for robot mode alone
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020544)
Posted by leokearon on May 5th, 2019 @ 1:38am CDT
I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020545)
Posted by Randomhero on May 5th, 2019 @ 1:55am CDT
leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

Because its a good solid figure and folks like you need to stop thinking height is is what leader class is in this line because its not.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020546)
Posted by leokearon on May 5th, 2019 @ 2:00am CDT
Randomhero wrote:
leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

It's still a Voyager figure, with a lot of unnecessary kibble, just to push the price point up.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020548)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on May 5th, 2019 @ 2:20am CDT
leokearon wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

But taking price out of the equation (for once)? Or if one were to get him at a steep discount like at Ross? Would that change one's opinion?

I have Energon Six Shot, Animated, WFC, DotM, Prime Cyberverse and the Kreon. My ranking:

5. Energon Six Shot
4. DotM
3. Prime Cyberverse
2. Animated
1. WFC

That may change once I get Siege Shockwave.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020549)
Posted by leokearon on May 5th, 2019 @ 2:23am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
leokearon wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

If he was reduced, then yes, because I would just forget about the terrible kibble and have an awesome voyager Shockwave, like he should have been
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020550)
Posted by RacerCheetor on May 5th, 2019 @ 2:27am CDT
Added firt Octopuswave for being the newest?

And they did not add to the Beast Hunters, not even as an honorific mention?

SACRILEGE!
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020556)
Posted by blackeyedprime on May 5th, 2019 @ 9:06am CDT
When I wonder why I never picked up baynus shock wave (despite how bad he was in the film, can't even hit a tied up optimus with 50 shots. Almost on the scale of takara headmasters ultra magnus vs cyclonus, except ultra magnus meant to miss according to the bad subs)..i like the robot mode but the vehicle mode is worse than even the lack luster siege cyberton cars.

I'll pick up the seige shock wave at some point but until then the energon figure still holds well. Liked the animated figure enough to have it in both colours but the mp wins out for me as no. 1 closely followed by siege just for his extra gimmicks platfirm/drone. Just waiting on a more acceptable price
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020557)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 5th, 2019 @ 9:21am CDT
Wow oh wow! I wake up in the morning, log into Seibertron.com, and not only do I see a surprise Top 10 list, but I'm also in it?! Thanks Will, this has really made my day! :DANCE:

Now to answer some concerns:

steve2275 wrote:switch 5(YUCK) and 6 around

5 and 6 are pretty much interchangeable, so it only matters on your preference (I assume you don't like Bayverse Shockwave). The same can be applied for 1 and 2 ;)

ausbot wrote:you missed the cyber series shockwave my personal favorite.

Cyber Series is a good-looking Shockwave, but the lack of articulation kinda leaves it off the list. It should be an honorable mention though, and wasn't it the go to CHUG Shockwave before Siege Shockwave came out?

leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

I understand that there is a part of the community that feels that way, but as Will has said multiple times before, these lists are based on pure opinion. Siege Shockwave is the best because, compared to the Masterpiece, he is just way more fun with those extra pieces. They both look equally great, and Siege has almost the same amount of articulation, but with the extra pieces, would get a ton more playability. Now, if you want (and I encourage everyone else to do so), you can post your own list and tell us which Shockwave is your favorite. I'd love to read your suggestions ;)

(Another point about Siege Shockwave is that people are much more likely to afford the $50 Leader figure than the $200+ Masterpiece ;) )

RacerCheetor wrote:Added firt Octopuswave for being the newest?

And they did not add to the Beast Hunters, not even as an honorific mention?

SACRILEGE!

We didn't pick Siege Shockwave for being the newest; we picked him for being the most fun.

And trust me, I didn't forget about Prime Shockwave. But his tank mode is kinda lazy, with him practically being an H-tank. Sure, Animated Shockwave is an H-tank, but he makes up for that with his awesome and unique gimmick of being able to change between 2 different robot modes.

I like Prime Shockwave though, and he is a fun figure for me, and one of my favorite Prime figures, so he should be an honorable mention.

I'm glad my contributions have been made to good use, and all my thanks goes to the residents of Seibertron, and Will. Thank you for this, and I am now going to feel like this for the rest of my day:

7hzyns8yezj21.png
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020566)
Posted by frogbat on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:22pm CDT
Always loved shockwave as a character and always wished to have him... was a while till he made it into the chug lines.

Have the alternator which I always liked, but never fit in properly,,, next one was the legends class figure which I was excited about to use with Bruticus, Ironically didn’t acquire Bruticus but baldigus instead, the latter can’t hold shockwave at all.

Next was mp shockwave. Disappointed with hi. For many reason, mainly because I saw they didn’t go to the same lengths they have in the past mp figures, there’s lots of hollow par5s in gun mode and lots of exposed screws. He looks the part, don’t get me wrong, just expected more.

Latest addition is siege shockwave, love the figure.. has some tabbing issues and not sure I like his warmed profile in gun mode. I a,so like the kibble... made him a more interesting figure, obviously I’d rather have paid half the price though.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020567)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:29pm CDT
I would have taken out Cloud wave and put Beast Hunter's Shockwave at number 2 behind MP. Probably knocked down Siege to 5. BH Shockwave is so formidable in alt mode and robot mode. He is one of the few figures that doesn't look bad with the "armor" but without it looks like a true powerhouse. Siege looks good, but his octopus mode looks like a meme kitbashed together. Fun, yes. Best, not to me at least
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020568)
Posted by Bucky on May 5th, 2019 @ 12:57pm CDT
leokearon wrote:I can't believe the ripoff Siege figure was considered the best

While I personally wouldn’t put it as my number one, I can absolutely see why it’s ranked so high. What I can’t see is why you’d call that figure a “ripoff.” The upgrades add a lot of playability to the figure, and are a huge breath of fresh air in terms of creativity. I’m scratching my head trying to figure out when we last got a multi armed figure. Optimus Minor back in ‘98/‘99? Extra limbs are awesome! Over the last few years we’ve seen a big resurgence in homages to G1, without too much new or innovative being brought to the table. So far Siege is managing to do both, and Shockwave might be the best example of that.

This list made me realize just how few Shockwave figures I own. I have both variants of Animated Shockwave, which I dearly love for how unique and gaunt he is. Plus you get four modes out of him! I leave my grey one as Longarm, and obviously my purple one as Shockwave, whom I have given the Magnus Hammer to. I have Combiner Wars, and Siege, and MP Lavenderwave. I’d really like to give the number one spot to MP, but I think there was room for improvement with that figure, that they could have done at the time, but that I don’t think even got addressed with his MP+ figure.

A little surprised that FoC Shockwave didn’t make the list, but I do get it. He’s a little on the small side, and that whole line was pretty underwhelming in the looks department on the Hasbro side, but at least the Tamara ones had some premium paint jobs.

Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020570)
Posted by Microbot on May 5th, 2019 @ 1:35pm CDT
Siege One is AWESOME! the best one ever, IMO!
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020577)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 5th, 2019 @ 4:20pm CDT
The Siege base figure got him perfectly. If it was sold as a voyager without all that unnecessary extra garbage, it would have been perfect. And I do like the Animated version's gimmick, it's pretty unique.
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020578)
Posted by Emerje on May 5th, 2019 @ 4:45pm CDT
No problem with the top 5. I'm happy to the DotM version creep in there, I bought both the original Hasbro release and the later Movie the Best version. The bottom 5, not so happy with. My 10-6 looks like this:

10. FoC/Arms Micron Shockwave:

A daring reimagining of the character. Yes, it comes from a time when Deluxe figures were at an all time low in both complexity and quality, but this figure made the most of its limitations by trading in the kibble found on other figures in the line for a massive canon, or in the AM version's case one that turns into a beetle minion.

9. Alternators Shockwave: The figure we never knew we wanted until we got it. Nothing else to add here.

8. Beast Hunters/Go! Shockwave:

Yes, the snap on armor is the very definition of an afterthought, but let's not overlook what the figure is. This was our biggest and best version of the character since the original
and for many people this was their CHUG Shockwave.

7. Cyberverse Shockwave: Same as the reasons given. You can even pair the smaller versions with the larger version for cartoon accurate drones.

6. Combiner Wars/Legends Shockwave: 2016 was a good year for Shockwave. We didn't get Shockwave with a proper gun mode once, but twice in the same year. The other of course being the Masterpiece version. But this is the only version that was sold at US retail and did so without any compromises aside from its size. In this case the size was to his benefit as it finally made his gun mode usable to larger figures. Plus we got him in three unique flavors: A G1 toy accurate dark purple to go with CW Bruticus, a lighter cartoon purple to go with Unite Warriors Bruticus, and a semi-new G2/Action Master pallet to go with G2 Bruticus.

I barely call that a transformation.

Emerje
Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020583)
Posted by william-james88 on May 5th, 2019 @ 7:11pm CDT
leokearon wrote:

That's good, so think that way. G1 Shockwave is on this list and yet right now he is unobtainable for most who don't already have him due to his rather high price. In a few years, something similar will happen to Siege Shockwave and yet this list will still be around. In the grand scheme of things, while value does have a factor, we have to look at the toy in and of itself. And Siege Shockwave is an excellent toy. It's also worth noting that you'd need to own the figure to judge it accordingly. I am noticing that most (if not all) who say the figure shouldn't be number 1, don't own it. Not exactly the most objective opinion. Maybe you'd actually like the extra kibble, especially in alt mode. I know I did.

RacerCheetor wrote:Added firt Octopuswave for being the newest?

And they did not add to the Beast Hunters, not even as an honorific mention?

SACRILEGE!

That's a lot of assumptions there. And it's a top 10, no need for honourable mentions, might as well just list all the Shockwave figures that exist. There is no point to honourable mentions here, just like there is no point to owning Beast Hunters shockwave in a classics collection anymore. A lot has changed in 3 years.

Emerje wrote:On a side note, I really don't like the Energon mold in any mode. The satellite is just a bunch of extra parts that would have been better used to improve the bot and tank modes, the bot mode is beyond compromised by the giant arm and inward elbow on the good arm, and the tank mode just looks like he's sitting down while practicing his body builder poses.

I barely call that a transformation.

Emerje

Not as bad as what Beast Hunters Shockwave does:

The fact that he transforms the exact same way as a legends sized figure is proof enough that it's a very lazy design.

A few other pot shots at that beast hunters figure. That toy was only ever liked because it was a stand in. Now that it is no longer needed, it is relegated to being simply a toy in the Prime line. And when we discussed that line in a Best Of list, that toy was not a contender.

Plus it suffers from a rather crazy flaw. You have to detach it's canon arm to transform it properly. The toy as designed, cant actually pull off it's alt mode (as lackluster as it may be) properly if you keep it attached.

Re: Top 10 Best Shockwave Transformers Toys (2020584)
Posted by william-james88 on May 5th, 2019 @ 7:38pm CDT
Bucky wrote:Slightly off topic, but what happened to that List thread I saw a couple weeks back about looking for input on top BW figures for show toys, and for non-show toys? I wrote a post that admittedly might have been too long, but when I went to post it, the thread was gone. And I neglected to copy first, so I lost it. Which serves me right for not being more cautious :lol: seriously I could write a light novel on Beast Wars figures and why I love them.

Oh man Bucky, would have loved to read it. Here's what happened with the Beast Wars stuff. Beast Wars is my G1. Meaning that I see it as a whole bunch of toys that I loved as a kid and it's hard to choose the best, especially when my favourite could be linked to the occasion I got it and not how good the toy is objectively. So I was seeking council. But as I was doing that, I got an idea of the aproach I would take with the lists and I realized I could have a good list. And I deleted those threads before there were any responses like that people wouldn't feel bad if I ask for advice and then don't use it. But hey, I love talking toys. We could take this conversation to the messages and discuss it more there.

Cheers!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #225 - The Overexposure of Bumblebee
"The Overexposure of Bumblebee"
Posted: Sunday, June 16th, 2019

Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS SMASHDOWN FIGUER" on EBAY
Buy "SOUNDWAVE - Siege War For Cybertron - Transformers Voyager Class 2019 - NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Studios Series 5 Inch Figure Deluxe Class - Dropkick #22" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Autobot - Springer - NIB In Hand Ships Fast" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron Prowl" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron starscream" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Siege Voyager Optimus Prime E3541" on EBAY