Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

Saturday, September 5th, 2015 12:09AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 69,916

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

Last time, we looked at the Transformers Prime show and who were its best characters. Now, it's time to discuss this series' toys. For the life of me, I do not know why the Prime toyline isn't as venerated as other classics like Animated or Galaxy Force, since I believe it can stand toe to toe with those. The engineering on many of this line's toys is at an all time high, taking cues from all that was learnt in the past, and the designs are stellar. They combine the movie aesthetic with a more classic approach, making me wish these were the designs used in the movies. There are a bunch of great toys in this line, making these top five not just some of the best Prime toys ever but a also some of the best Transformers toys out there. For simplicity's sake, we will stick to just the Hasbro releases (First Edition, Prime Robots in Disguise and Beast Hunters).

5. Transformers Prime Robots In Disguise Wheeljack

A smooth and sleek car mode with an interesting cybertronian design, giving way to an agile but fierce looking robot mode. It's an interesting take on Wheeljack and still gives some classic elements while reinventing him. I love how his forearms and lower legs form with a series of pivoting parts that give a solid result. He also has poseable and rotating fists on a ball joint, clear plastic, spot on paint apps, ankle pivot, 2 different ways to keep the weapons in vehicle mode, this is the true heyday of the deluxe class.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

4. Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Ultra Magnus

This one is special. First Edition Prime could have been in this position as I hear he is excellent but I always give favour to molds that incorporate more of the alt mode. The Prime RID mold that this Ultra Magnus toy is based on was the only Prime mold (aside from the cyberverse mold) that actually used the windshield as the chest piece and did not have to rely on fake kibble. Yet, it wasn't as screen accurate as the First Edition Prime. However, this very same mold retooled for Ultra Magnus makes it look like it was meant for him all along especially with those new tall shoulder pieces which also work as missile launchers (so much G1 love here). With the Peterbilt truck alt mode, this version of Ultra Magnus is far more accomplished than the previous mold he was given, making him as screen accurate as possible. Even his Hammer is more screen accurate than any previous version of Prime Magnus. So to sum up, I am amazed at how well this Prime mold, with all its alt mode integration wonder, works better for Ultra Magnus, to a point where it is better than the mold that was actually made just for him.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

3. Transformers Prime: First Edition Starscream

This is one of the best seeker molds of all time. The design choice to have the robot mode be so slim and sleek makes him look creepier than any version of Starscream before. I am so impressed with how they were able to pull off a robot mode as skeletal as the one depicted onscreen and yet still have him perfectly transform into a tight and smooth jet mode where no robot limb protrudes, as is often the case with jets.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

2. Transformers First Edition Cliffjumper

Transforming this Cliffjumper for the first time is one of my fondest Transformers memories. The alt mode is a 70s dodge challenger/charger type car with the distinctive long front (nose). However, the robot mode has the windshield chest with the headlights right below it. It's an interesting design for sure, but I had no clue how they could pull that off on the toy. Where would the front go? And it's just the headlights, without the distinctive grill that connects them in alt mode. How can it be possible to actually have a screen accurate toy? Well, the RID version of the mold (which I had first) gave me the answer to this question. You give him a fake kibble chest piece. With this in mind, you can imagine how amazed I was while transforming the First Edition Cliffjumper toy the first time. The windshield split from the front to form his chest and the long nose pegged into the back and then the headlights flipped forward, disconnecting themselves from the front grill and landing just below the windshield pieces to give the exact same look he had on the show by only using the pieces found in the alt mode. It was genius. In terms of engineering, this is a masterpiece figure at a deluxe scale. This is why it pains me that this actual Cliffjumper toy, seen in the picture below, took so long to make it to the US (for everyone to get in on the awesomeness). His hands also flip around to become canons but that's just gravy at this point along with the subtle fact that this marks Cliffjumper as having his own mold for once and not being a mere repaint of Bumblebee.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

1. Transformers Prime Robots In Disguise Vehicon

This is one of the all-time best Transformer designs. The architect Mis Van Derho, who created the glass skyscraper, had the motto of "less is more". And this mold evokes this notion by showing us how a great design could come from something so simple. Basically, this is a run of the mill shellformer in alt mode. However, in robot mode, the shell retreats and folds onto itself to fill out his legs to the point that it entirely disappears. This toy has a sleek robot mode that is very distinct from its vehicle mode, showing mostly new parts only seen in robot mode, and yet it has a simple transformation, a sturdy design, and no leftover kibble whatsoever. Having him be a shellformer and yet not having a hint of the shell in robot mode is as big a design feat as they come and makes him not only be the very best toy of this line but one of the best Transformers Toys of all time.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys

Honourable mentions: First Edition Bulkhead and Optimus Prime are obviously great pics too but I am a bit more impressed with how the others on this list turned out, like when the result comes from having less to work with, such as the smaller deluxe class. Sometimes, less is more, as Vehicon shows us.
But still, these two right here are also some of the all time best Transformer toys ever, man was this line good!

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys
Transformers Prime: First Edition Optimus Prime Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723930)
Posted by SlyTF1 on September 5th, 2015 @ 12:20am CDT
I literally have no idea why people like the Vehicon mold so much.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723933)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on September 5th, 2015 @ 12:43am CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:I literally have no idea why people like the Vehicon mold so much.

I like the Vehicon because of how fun he is to transform, the sleekness of both modes and the lack of kibble. Basically, most of what was already said. Part of it is that I was just so impressed with how the legs folded up. He was one of the first transformers I ever got, being reintroduced and getting more interested during Prime, and he's so fun to mess with I can hardly put him down. This is a good example of a simple figure that functions great, something I wish some of the newer lines could get a bit better at.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723936)
Posted by Noideaforaname on September 5th, 2015 @ 1:01am CDT
william-james88 wrote:For the life of me, I do not know why the Prime toyline isn't as venerated as other classics like Animated or Galaxy Force, since I believe it can stand toe to toe with those.

I think aesthetically Prime felt too derivative from previous lines ("Bayverse Animated"), the perceived shift in quality between First Edition and the rest of the line checkered people's view, and Hasbro not carrying over Breakdown was a serious misstep.

...but anyways...
I didn't get too too much from this line. Soundwave, Rumble, and the Cyberverse Insecticon were pretty decent; not amazing, but fun. The Cyberverse Terrorcons are fantastic, Blot being one of my favorite of the size class. Cyberverse Predaking... goes great with the Terrorcons, at least.

My favorite from the line, though:
Nuclear mutant Dia de los Muertos luchador DEAD END!!
Seriously, he's on my Top 3 Transformers list, up there with RotF Skystalker and BW Tripredacus.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723939)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on September 5th, 2015 @ 1:03am CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:

...but anyways...

My favorite from the line, though:
Nuclear mutant Dia de los Muertos luchador DEAD END!!

I have him standing on my desk right now! I have to admit I like him a bit more than Wheeljack.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723942)
Posted by Ultra Markus on September 5th, 2015 @ 1:36am CDT
i thought Airachnid should be No.1

NO but seriously knock out wasnt even on there and i thought that both alt mode and robot were great
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723945)
Posted by Optimizzy on September 5th, 2015 @ 1:59am CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:I literally have no idea why people like the Vehicon mold so much.

he pretty much summed up why in the article.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723949)
Posted by RhA on September 5th, 2015 @ 2:12am CDT
Vehicon number one!
Vehicon number one!
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723951)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on September 5th, 2015 @ 2:16am CDT
top 1: abominus (combiner)
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723952)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on September 5th, 2015 @ 2:20am CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:i thought Airachnid should be No.1

Speaking of disappointments, I would like to nominate a new 'worst tf' to rival armada sidswipe... cybertron leobreaker :SICK:

He did everything wrong, so next list, there you go.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723962)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on September 5th, 2015 @ 5:41am CDT
Not a big fan of the Prime toys. The ones I do have I got from car boot sales usually missing weapons but at good prices. I got that large Beast Hunters Prime which is ok in robot mode (apart from that crud on his back) but a huge pile of plastic junk in 'truck' mode. Hot Shot and Bumblebee that share the same molds. And Wheeljack. I have to agree that Wheeljack is the best one out of them. I was never fond of G1 Wheeljack toys cos they were always clunky and had those godawful legs. Prime 'Jack is much sleeker and generally cooler. I like it enough that I'm disappointed mine was missing his swords but for 50 pence for a decent Deluxe figure I can't complain too much. Not really fond of the others on this list. Cliffjumper is just ugly. Vehicon's ok but not spectacular. But yeah I like Wheeljack enough even though I've never liked the character or his toys much before.

Most of the Beast Hunters toys are covered in way too much ugly crap.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723965)
Posted by Heckfire on September 5th, 2015 @ 6:13am CDT
Wheeljack's alt-mode isn't Cybertronian, it's based on the 2011 Lancia Stratos concept car.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723966)
Posted by Burn on September 5th, 2015 @ 6:48am CDT
See who's not on the list?
SkySTALKER
>:oP
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723980)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on September 5th, 2015 @ 9:03am CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:
My favorite from the line, though:
Nuclear mutant Dia de los Muertos luchador DEAD END!!

:lol: I tip my fedora to you sir

I want to give a shoutout to PRID Bumblebee, and Cliff. These molds are often overlooked as they're constantly in the shadow of their First Edition dopplegangers. I think they really encompass what I really liked about the Prime Line, which was its simplicity and fun. You can just grab one of those guys and transform them, no fuss.
Come to think of it Bumblebee had the automorph problem :-? Mine wasn't that bad though.
Okay, well you can still get Hotshot or the Beast Hunters version. Both of which are even better in their own way.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1723994)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on September 5th, 2015 @ 11:50am CDT
Burn wrote:See who's not on the list?
SkySTALKER
>:oP

Good point, I only picked up 3 prime figures: Soundwave, Darksteel, and Sky Lynx. The Skystalker mold was great.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724040)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on September 5th, 2015 @ 3:51pm CDT
So glad to see the Vehicon at number one. He's one of the best molds I've seen in a while. Almost nothing wrong with him in either mode. Great look and transformation, too.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724048)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on September 5th, 2015 @ 4:54pm CDT

The only Ultra Magnus I have is the cyberverse commander version, so I can't comment on that one, but the rest of the list is spot on. Wheeljack especially, one of the best figures out of any line. Not on the list, I think PRID Arcee was pretty good.

Biggest disappointment was not getting the full size Breakdown. And even his cyberverse figure was just a fairly disappointing dinky legion size figure. Knock Out was a let down, lack of paint aps (no gold rims!??!?!) and a figure too too easy to mistransform in robot mode (I swear he's a lot better if you do manage to get him right) really hurt. Also, Smokescreen was way too flat on his fake chest to do the character justice, but at least he wasn't a Knock Out redeco the way he was in Japan. At least his cyberverse figure was really good (for cyberverse).
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724086)
Posted by Rated X on September 5th, 2015 @ 8:53pm CDT
Damn...here we go again with the best and worst toy lists again....

I would much rather read about topics like:

"Top 5 most iconic G1 cartoon moments"

"Top 5 most charismatic Transformers faction leaders"

"Top 5 favorite Transformers continuities"

"Top 5 most bizarre moments in G1"

"Top 5 Japanese G1 characters non-Japanese fans love"

"Top 5 Transformers voice actors besides Peter Cullen"

"Top 5 most unpopular transformers characters ever"

"Top 5 most notable non-human characters in G1" (Quints, Kremzeek, Nebulans, etc.)

And the list goes on and on and on...

Not trying to be a d**k but you really should give the words "best" and "worst" a break. And the toys too. There are so many other aspects that are worth touching. just saying...
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724089)
Posted by Burn on September 5th, 2015 @ 9:03pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Not trying to be a d**k

And yet, because you contributed NOTHING to this thread but criticism, you still achieved what you weren't even trying to do.

Well done.

If someone spends hours researching and preparing a thread for people to discuss, actually discuss the topic of the thread, don't chime in just to tear it down and spit all over the work the thread creator did.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724090)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on September 5th, 2015 @ 9:05pm CDT
[quote="Rated X"
"Top 5 most unpopular transformers characters ever"
[/quote]

Armada Sideswipe, his character was as annoying as his figure was terrible (oh, spoiler alert ;) )
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Prime Toys (1724095)
Posted by william-james88 on September 5th, 2015 @ 9:19pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Damn...here we go again with the best and worst toy lists again....

I just gave you a fiction related list last week, did you like it?

And be sure to check back in 2 weeks for another fiction related one. If you read the comics, you will surely have a blast with it.

Optimum Supreme wrote:I think FE CJ is pretty overrated. It's not really any better than PRID CJ, just has failings in different areas. Plus I broke that front hood piece off mine first time I transformed it. :( Stupid vague instructions and thing that looked like a hinge but apparently wasn't! PRID's hammer weapon was pretty cool too, even if not show accurate like FE's hand to blaster conversion.

The chest design for Prime Clifjumper is so unique that it being a fake chest in the RID toy was one of the biggest let downs I ever felt. The awkward way his arms take form was also a real sour point for me. He does however have more show accurate legs. I still sold him after getting the FE version which really pleased me. Sorry you had a negative experience with yours. The arms of my MP 03 Ghost Starscream broke off the second time I transformed him and that has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth in regards to that mold. I am finally giving it another chance with the Hasbro release of MP 11 Starscream.

Thanks! As for Ultra Magnus, which do you have because your description fits more than one toy. The one on the right (below) is very good and far more show accurate than the earlier one to come out (on the left).

Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Ultra Magnus Gallery

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #236 - Tangled Web
"Tangled Web"
Posted: Monday, December 9th, 2019

Buy "??Transformers 12" Robots in Disguise Titan Heroes Bumblebee Steeljaw Lot RID??" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE - COMBINER FORCE - WINDBLADE (H84)" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION - BUMBLEBEE (H79)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015) - Grimlock VS Back" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Construction Mixmaster w Weapons" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Shattered Glass Optimus Prime Masterpiece MP-10SG" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Classics Titans Return Wheelie Complete w instructions" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MIXMASTER CONSTRUCTICON ACTION FIGURE GENERATION 1 DEVASTATOR G1" on EBAY