Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Saturday, December 8th, 2018 12:58PM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 34,748

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are our opinions so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Don't mean to be a downer, but this week I wanted to look back on times we were quite disappointed with toys. Most lists that don't have to do with a particular line or time frame usually have a wide range of years. However, this list is mostly recent toys (past 10 years) and there is a reason for that. It's not recency bias, it's simply that as the years pass, patterns develop. We know what to expect and not getting it leads to disappointment. The better the main line, the bigger the disappointment when a figure comes out being sub par. And with the added elements of interaction between companies and fans as well as social media, we are more aware of what is to come and if something is promised and not fulfilled, you know you are in for disappointment. So let's get to it!

5. Transformers Generations Windblade

This is a perfect example of overhype. She isn't a bad toy, she just isn't as great as we all expected her to be. This was the first TF where Hasbro asked fans for help in its design. It was a fembot, it was a new character, everyone wanted it. Bigbadtoystore even charged more for it than the other components of the toy's wave just to cover the cost of all the cases they bought in anticipation of the demand. And... Dissappointed!

Whoever took those official pictures was super sketchy because there is no way to predict that the actual jet has a big gap in the middle of it. I wouldn't mind her visible legs and feet if at least it had a convincing jet body. I have issue with the plastic too. It still had a hint of that FOC el-cheapo plastic which really didn't help in two notable areas: the heels and the wing tabs. Firstly, her heel pieces are always swinging back so you have to constantly adjust them when attempting to make her stand. They will also detach in the process sometimes. These definitely should be tighter to help stability.

Secondly, you have those thin tab clips on the sections that are supposed to attach to the base of the nosecone section. They don't hold well at all. This is where this transformers becomes the fiddliest thing since MP 05. While they can tab into the designed area, they always pop out making it very annoying and quite cheap.

So we have these main defects on a figure that was supposed to come out of Hasbro's efforts to get closer to its fans. I don’t know about you, but I would much rather get a good quality figure than take part in a poll regarding a new figure's alt mode. But that's just me.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Devastator

This one is simple, the individual components did not transform into robots. Granted they didn't in the film either, but that doesn't mean there were no robot modes. Plus, this was a big expensive toy, not having robot modes made it very simplistic and what you basically got was an ugly Power Ranger Megazord. I know Michael Bay designs varied greatly from the source material but this one to me was probably the biggest downgrade and the worst example of how someone can interpret an iconic G1 character for a new generation. But that's subjective, if we remain objective, we can simply look at the legion class version where each component had robot modes of their own, I mean come on!

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

3. Transformers Masterpiece Tracks

Masterpiece Tracks and his retool Roadrage were the most discounted MPs (worldwide) since 2009, and probably the most discounted Masterpiece toys of all time in Japan. Word of mouth was simply not good and this was really the first big disappointment from the line since it was rejuvenated with MP 10. The toy was simply not on par with how solid and smart I expect MPs to be, with a very gappy robot mode. Plus, it was a QC nightmare with Roadrage's head not even locking in place and the back half of the figure not connecting securely (at least they eventually got it right on Hot Rodimus). And with all the pose-ability potential of a Masterpiece figure, the back becoming undone easily does not entice you to handle it and pose it much.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Titans Return Galvatron

This was so easy not to screw up, and that is where the massive disappointment comes from. After all these years we finally had a nice voyager Galvatron, who looked great for the most part and had the giant canon alt mode from the film. You could feel the excitement in the air. It did have a Titan Master / Headmaster gimmick, but that didn't seem like it would make much of a difference. RIGHT?! Well, we got the toy and yeah, that gimmick really messed things up. His small headmaster head needed a flip up mask gimmick to actually look like Galvatron. But since the mask is flat, it didn't give him a crown around his head, just the facade of one at the front and it isn't close enough to his face so it looks like crap. Plus, he can't turn his head around enough with it. To add insult to injury, the hole in his chest seemed big enough to house a whole head so we can only imagine how better it would be if he didn't have to work in the head master gimmick (or at least go the full helmet way like the leaders, he has the space for it). We were THIS close to a great Galvatron!

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Titans Return Fortress Maximus

A titan class figure's release and reveal is always one of the bigger events of the year, for obvious reasons. We only get 1 and it's always of a character that we haven't had in a decent form since the 80s. Metroplex and Devastator were well liked and seemed to answer the hype even though they were simpler than anticipated (as bigger toys usually are). But with Fort Max, the fandom was unsure of what to feel from his fist reveal. I don't know about you but when I think of Fort Max, I think of 2 things: Turns into a Fortress and has a crap ton of firepower. And then we get this toy, a retool of Metroplex with far less play options than the original.

I greatly respect the G1 toy era but we can all agree that objectively toys since then have offered more simply due to added articulation and complexity. However, Titans Return Fortress Maximus is the exception. The G1 toy is more complex, has a more impressive city mode (it actually looks like towers in downtown Iacon), more play features (like a legit jail door) and so many accessories. A fortress should be a place to hunker down and fight the invading enemy right? So where are all the damn weapons? And that's all aside from him being far less of an extensive retool than it appeared at first. The carrier like appendages on his arms are the same Metroplex had instead of having actual ramps, and there is not one but two vestigial features: the legs that still open and the giant arm hinge. When looking at the entire franchise history, I would say that G1 Fortress Maximus is one of the top 10 must own Transformers toys, this one doesn't hold a candle to it and if any new fan is interested in him, I truly suggest you spend that money on the Encore G1 Fortress Maximus release we got a few years back. Should still be available at a decent price and you will get much more value out of it. I spent $115 USD on the Titans Return toy and still feel underwhelmed.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997635)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 8th, 2018 @ 1:09pm CST
Re: #4
What, no mention of the fact that it left three members out?

Re:#2
A. No, he was always supposed to have the Headmaster gimmick, I know I've seen people quoting official statements on this.
B. I think people blow his issues out of proportion, frankly.

Re #1:
TR Fort Max is a victim of the rigid price-point structure, sadly
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997637)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on December 8th, 2018 @ 1:10pm CST
I'd agree with most of this list, but the hate has just gone too far on MP Tracks. He may be the runt of the Autobot MP litter, but he's still a very nice toy with a great alt mode.

Now MP-03, THAT deserved a spot on the list! Everyone's hyped for an Masterpiece Starscream, just like Masterpiece Prime and we get... that?
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997639)
Posted by Quantum Surge on December 8th, 2018 @ 1:13pm CST
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997640)
Posted by william-james88 on December 8th, 2018 @ 1:16pm CST
Quantum Surge wrote:I would add MP-05 and replace Windblade. The rest of the list is fine but you forgot to mention that Studio Series Devastator will have BOTH individual robot modes and the ability to combine.

Didnt forget, I am simply not talking about that toy and didnt want to confuse any issue.

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Re:#2

Whenever someone says that I ask for a link to said quote and never see anything definitive. If you have an actual quote from hasbro, please share. We do instead have official quotes saying that certain toys in the Titans Return line were planned earlier and did not feature the headmaster gimmick with Alpha Trion given as the specific example.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997641)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on December 8th, 2018 @ 1:20pm CST
Airachnid should be #1 on this list. Maybe followed by Classics/Generations Galvatron and Ironhide.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997642)
Posted by Ironhidensh on December 8th, 2018 @ 2:05pm CST
I'm always amazed at the lack of love for MP Tracks. Yeah, he is one of the weakest post MP-10 molds, but its still a MP.

Two of my most disappointing figures are CW/UW Devastator & PotP Prediking. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority on that, but I found both figures not worthy of their price points.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997649)
Posted by Randomhero on December 8th, 2018 @ 2:29pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Re:#2

Emiliano Santalucia was given the task of making a design for Galvatron only. He wasn’t told he’d be a headmaster. We’ve seen plenty of this from his other designs that omit the gimmicks such as overlord where overlord straight up had the power masters in him.

He’s not always told the gimmick, just hired to make a new modernized character.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997655)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 8th, 2018 @ 3:21pm CST
I mean, aside from the poorly executed Headmaser gimmick on Galvatron, that is one of my favorite TF figures of all time.

Chunkular, angular, with original artillery alt-mode and even a decently executed third mode added in for shits and giggles.

Yes, the head sucks as-is. But at least it’s easy enough to customize a good head for him, with little no no effort.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997657)
Posted by mazingaspidey on December 8th, 2018 @ 3:30pm CST
Just for the record, if anyone is wanting to unload their Titans Fort Mac I want one...
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997658)
Posted by Emerje on December 8th, 2018 @ 3:32pm CST
william-james88 wrote:To add insult to injury, the hole in his chest seemed big enough to house a whole head so we can only imagine that him being a Head Master was a later change in the toy design. We were THIS close to a great Galvatron!

The large chest cavity is from when the figure was originally being designed to have a much larger and better looking (and possibly head covering) crown rather than the partial face mask. Why it changed so drastically between development and our first look I couldn't guess, but I doubt he was ever intended to store a whole head in there.

As for the rest of the list, I rarely find main line figures "disappointing", just underwhelming. I tend to start finding things more disappointing the more I spend on them. So for me I'd have certainly included MP-3 and MP-5 in place of Windblade and Galvatron.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997659)
Posted by Cyberpath on December 8th, 2018 @ 3:39pm CST
I feel that maybe that bad first grey prototype pic gave him a bad rep.

As for most disappointing Transformers, it's hard to say, I generally know what to expect from the figures I order. (And skip the ones that would let me down.)

* I guess AD31 Optimus Prime -- that backpack is terrible. I knew about it beforehand, but it still sucks and maybe in retrospect was an unnecessary purchase.

* I got MP-11 Starscream only in 2017, and after stuff like Ladder Magic, swappable faces, less kibble and so on, he felt outdated. Add to that the issues with the locking. I had thought about returning him, but then I'd have a huge gap in my humble Decepticon cast. He very quickly grew on me. Despite its shortcomings, I actually do like it now.

* And the fact that the Decepticon Targetmasters were done as Headmasters. I got them because I figured they wouldn't redo such obscure characters a second time and overall they're cool toys. But it's still disappointing to have to remove their heads for transformation.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997665)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on December 8th, 2018 @ 4:15pm CST
Out of the figures I own, the two biggest disappointments are...

1. ROTF Leader-class Jetfire.

I have mixed feelings about the movie. One thing I loved though was Jetfire. So when his Leader-class figure came out, I got him! And...

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Jetfire Gallery

That is inexcusable. That is horrible. Doesn't help the transformation is a bunch of frustrating panelforming.

The second is MP-05 Megatron. After the glory of MP-01, I was so looking forward to MP-05. I spent a pretty penny importing him. And... he's a floppy, ill-proportioned mess that I still have yet to transform for fear of him snapping in half.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997667)
Posted by Z3ROhour on December 8th, 2018 @ 4:22pm CST
well done!

except:

1. MP-04 should ALWAYS be THE #1 most disappointing.

2. i love my Fortress Maximus!
now, that being said,
i had to spend close to as much $ as it cost to buy him
on accessories!
Accessories that should have been included in the first place!!
NOT TO MENTION, THE ONES I HAVE NEVER SEEN!

3. i LOVE TR Galvy!
(of course i had to fix the 2 issues he had:
head/mask/crown thing
& the weird top-of-his-bicep cannon placement.)
THANK GODS FOR SHAPEWAYS!
710x528_15085667_8946026_1504657145.jpg

710x528_15298512_8946026_1504657145.jpg

710x528_15511596_9082576_1504657036.jpg

710x528_16542288_9082576_1504657036.jpg

4. Titan Devastator. US Version.
no elbows for half the bots.
no weapons.
poop.

but
the list is ulimately subjective.
and u do good work.

:HEADHURTS:
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997669)
Posted by beastwarsbrah on December 8th, 2018 @ 4:57pm CST
Tlk leader dragonstorm is my biggest disappointment. He has stress marks on the heads and wings and just feels like he will break if I move him around to much. I transformed him a few times when I first got him but he's been sitting in dragon mode ever since.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997671)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 8th, 2018 @ 5:06pm CST
You know who ought to have at least an honorable mention? G1 Ratchet and Ironhide.

Randomhero wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Re:#2

This is what I was on about.

Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I think the final version of the mask hews closer to the cartoon in shape:
Cartoon front view
Cartoon back view
The cartoon has the prongs of the crown all mounted on the front, and it flares out at the front while the rest is narrow except at the base. The final mask matches up better with that aside from wrapping all the way around. The beta mask has a more helmetlike look and puts the left and right prongs more on the sides like IDW or Energon
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997674)
Posted by omega666 on December 8th, 2018 @ 5:20pm CST
Cyberpath wrote:I've had a different experience with MP-25 Tracks, I think he looks great. It's all in the posing.
I feel that maybe that bad first grey prototype pic gave him a bad rep.

Agreed. I looked at all the "terrible" pictures of Tracks and when I got him, all I did was pose him right and he looked good. I guess people don't play with their toys.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997677)
Posted by zko on December 8th, 2018 @ 5:25pm CST

EDIT:

By the rules of this list I would have to say number one for me is the Armada reissue of Armada Demolishor in Cybertron line, that was refitted to have a Cyberkey. He just feels so flimsy next to the rest of the line, that said, I do realize he originated in another part of Unicron trilogy as a figure... but still probably the weakest of Cybertron line of toys.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997681)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 8th, 2018 @ 5:36pm CST
zko wrote:I would have thought this entire list would be made up of scout figures from the current Cyberverse cartoon line of toys...

To me by the rules of this list, Id say #1 would be Cybertron Demolisher, I loved the character in the cartoon, and the toy tries hard and looks good, but that waist connection is just so obviously flimsy I'm afraid of it breaking at any time. While almost all the rest of Cybertron line was amazing both in look and stability.

*shrug* This is about disappointment, hopes being trod on. Cyberverse is overall a "what you see is what you get" line that I don't think sets people up to expect things from its basic toys that they won't deliver.

I love the Cybertron line and I love Leobreaker, but he probably earns at least an honorable mention here because of the incomplete transformation his arm mode got reduced to, compared to the original plan and the show.
And I see somebody goes by the Galaxy Force names. Allow me to translate: zko's referring to Mudflap, everyone's favorite shelfwarming powder-blue crane. Oops, mistaken
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997684)
Posted by zko on December 8th, 2018 @ 5:44pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

Ah, actually I was talking about the reissue of the Armada toy, after they took away his minicon and gave him a Cyberkey instead, seemed like hollowing him out for the key actually made him weaker, I actually love the Mudflap and later reissue as Grapple toy from Cybertron like the rest of the line (aside from the evil Armada reissue)... I edited above post to more correctly state this as well as I could.
Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys (1997689)
Posted by Rogue-Primal on December 8th, 2018 @ 6:06pm CST
Cybertron Backstop, if i had known how bad he was including his gimmick i would have never bought him. I took him apart with a screwdriver a few years later out of spite. then tossed the remains.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #234 - Hell in a Cel
"Hell in a Cel"
Posted: Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Buy "Transformers DOTM Leader Class Sentinel Prime Custom Painted" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon  Voyager Class Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "MPM 7 CUSTOM BUMBLEBEE transformers masterpiece movie loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations NIGHTBEAT autobot NEW SEALED w IDW COMIC BOOK" on EBAY
Buy "SDCC 2019 HASBRO Transformers GhostBusters Ecto-35 Optimus Prime & Ectotron #4" on EBAY
Buy "SDCC 2019 HASBRO Transformers GhostBusters Ecto-35 Optimus Prime & Ectotron #3" on EBAY
Buy "SDCC 2019 HASBRO Transformers GhostBusters Ecto-35 Optimus Prime & Ectotron #2" on EBAY
Buy "2019 Hasbro Transformers Ghostbusters Ectotron Ecto-1 NIB VHTF!!" on EBAY