This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed

Transformers News: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 12:30PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: Razorclaw0000   Views: 42,030

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Through a series of Tweets, the Transformers Collector's Club has unveiled the first clear, mockups of the final paint scheme for the upcoming club-exclusive Shattered Glass Drift. Click the teaser below to see the full image.

Image

This figure will be available to purchase, along with Generations Runabout sometime next year for club members.

We'll keep you posted at Seibertron.com of any new information.
Credit(s): @The_TCC

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1304997)
Posted by Mkall on October 25th, 2011 @ 12:37pm CDT
hehe, Deadpool. I hope he comes with a comic. That would be awesome.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305005)
Posted by ShardFenix on October 25th, 2011 @ 12:53pm CDT
i dont know the alt-mode looks fantastic, the bot mode almost a bit too much red for me.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305008)
Posted by UltraPrimal on October 25th, 2011 @ 12:59pm CDT
Wow! You can really tell FunPub isn't even trying anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted that entire bio from some Marvel wiki entry or toy card back bio or something and just went Ctrl+F and replaced "Deadpool" with "Drift". The whole Shattered Glass universe idea just seems lazy to begin with. But even that idea could have been interesting if executed properly. Instead we got cookie cutter characters in formulaic stories. This "Drift" is the worst of the bunch yet. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel sues for plagiarism. I would have rather bought this figure if they released him as an actual Marvel Crossovers Deadpool. FunPub is quickly replacing Dreamwave as the Image Comics of Transformers.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305011)
Posted by TulioDude on October 25th, 2011 @ 1:03pm CDT
So an Deadpool homage,hun?
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305019)
Posted by Requiem Prime on October 25th, 2011 @ 1:22pm CDT
I'm surprised they didn't give him Blurr's guns. I do like the mold, but I cannot stand that gummy sword. The short swords are alright.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305025)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on October 25th, 2011 @ 1:42pm CDT
Ummm yeah, I'm gonna pass on this...'nuff said! :VEHI:
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305027)
Posted by Bass X0 on October 25th, 2011 @ 1:49pm CDT
Requiem Prime wrote:I'm surprised they didn't give him Blurr's guns. I do like the mold, but I cannot stand that gummy sword. The short swords are alright.


Drift comes with Blurr's guns too.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305028)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on October 25th, 2011 @ 1:57pm CDT
Bass X0 wrote:
Requiem Prime wrote:I'm surprised they didn't give him Blurr's guns. I do like the mold, but I cannot stand that gummy sword. The short swords are alright.


Drift comes with Blurr's guns too.


Pistols only, not the rifle.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305030)
Posted by starwarrior1227 on October 25th, 2011 @ 2:04pm CDT
what are petro-rabbits?
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305032)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 25th, 2011 @ 2:12pm CDT
starwarrior1227 wrote:what are petro-rabbits?


It's a throwback to one of G1 Kup's stories from Alpha 9. Supposedly they're either pretty dangerous or tame.

UltraPrimal wrote:Wow! You can really tell FunPub isn't even trying anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted that entire bio from some Marvel wiki entry or toy card back bio or something and just went Ctrl+F and replaced "Deadpool" with "Drift".


How about actually looking into it? ;)
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305034)
Posted by ShadowGinrai on October 25th, 2011 @ 2:25pm CDT
:D I think it looks great. Can't wait til I can order one. :CON:
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305036)
Posted by starscreamreturns on October 25th, 2011 @ 2:45pm CDT
If anyone on here is a big Deadpool fan
Your not alone i'm a huge Deadpool fan!
On DA i'm poolshostage
on the DP bugle i'm poolshostage
DP fans look me up for awesome DP stuff
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305046)
Posted by Diem on October 25th, 2011 @ 3:23pm CDT
Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305049)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 25th, 2011 @ 3:35pm CDT
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift had the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift had the kanji 永 for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni). I agree it's close to 氷, which means "ice".
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305052)
Posted by Stryfe Convoy on October 25th, 2011 @ 3:40pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift has the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift has the kanji for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni).


Thanks for clearing that up, even though I thought the original kanji stood for his name, Drift... And no... I know nothing about kanji... so thanks!
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305054)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 25th, 2011 @ 3:43pm CDT
Stryfe Convoy wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift has the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift has the kanji for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni).


Thanks for clearing that up, even though I thought the original kanji stood for his name, Drift... And no... I know nothing about kanji... so thanks!


Actually in the comics Drift had his name spelled out in katakana, the script used for loanwords.

I'm looking into the Kanji that has apparently replaced it, gimme a sec.

And I think I found it. It's not Japanese, rather it's Chinese: 定 this character reads as ding, and its basic meaning is "to settle".
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305057)
Posted by Diem on October 25th, 2011 @ 3:53pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift has the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift has the kanji for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni).


Image

Image

Ah, I only saw a blurry picture at Botcon. The lower kanji is what was on SG Drift's doors at Botcon, the upper one is what I thought it was.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305059)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 25th, 2011 @ 4:02pm CDT
Bleh, looking at it closer, 定 can still be either Chinese or Japanese. Meaning's the same tho: to settle, decision, in that direction. How do you pronounce it you ask?

Chinese: ding
Japanese: tei or jou
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305061)
Posted by rpetras on October 25th, 2011 @ 4:11pm CDT
And the 2012 "TFA: Cheetor Award" goes to .....
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305071)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 25th, 2011 @ 4:41pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift had the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift had the kanji 永 for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni). I agree it's close to 氷, which means "ice".


The original mock-up had the kanji for "Eternity" on the door, as well as "Eternity" and "Fire" on the front above the headlights.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305087)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on October 25th, 2011 @ 5:19pm CDT
They said he was supposed to come with Blurr's pistols but I have yet to see one pic with them, more importantly with them in the door holsters.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305151)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 25th, 2011 @ 7:19pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:They said he was supposed to come with Blurr's pistols but I have yet to see one pic with them, more importantly with them in the door holsters.


The images shown so far have been photo manipulations of a Generations Drift toy. That is why you're seeing the swords and not the guns.

That doesn't mean he's not coming with guns, just that the photo they used for the mock-up was a regular Drift figure.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305179)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on October 25th, 2011 @ 8:35pm CDT
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


With the powers of google translate, the writing on his hood "定" pronounced "Jō" means "constant". ;)

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


You need to brush up on your kanji a bit. Drift had the kanji for samurai on his doors, SG Drift had the kanji 永 for "eternity" (nagai or tokoshie'ni). I agree it's close to 氷, which means "ice".


Actually "永" pronounced "Yǒng" in Chinese, means eternity. However "永" pronounced "Ei" in Japanese, means young.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305205)
Posted by Rated X on October 25th, 2011 @ 9:41pm CDT
UltraPrimal wrote:The whole Shattered Glass universe idea just seems lazy to begin with. But even that idea could have been interesting if executed properly.


I couldnt agree with you more my friend. Ever get the feeling "Shattered Glass" is nothing but a contingency plan for when Funpub cant get permission to use certian molds ? Or for when they are stumped on who the molds they have available could be used for ?

Im not going to get into my opinion on the "alternate universe" concept here, but repainted figures with no re-tool or intention of being a new character seem pretty convenient for Funpub.

But I must admit the colors do look nice. I might buy him, slap on some Decepticon reprolabels and make him a generic Cybertronian for Shockwave's army.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305211)
Posted by Mkall on October 25th, 2011 @ 10:02pm CDT
Rated X wrote:
UltraPrimal wrote:The whole Shattered Glass universe idea just seems lazy to begin with. But even that idea could have been interesting if executed properly.


I couldnt agree with you more my friend. Ever get the feeling "Shattered Glass" is nothing but a contingency plan for when Funpub cant get permission to use certian molds ? Or for when they are stumped on who the molds they have available could be used for ?

Im not going to get into my opinion on the "alternate universe" concept here, but repainted figures with no re-tool or intention of being a new character seem pretty convenient for Funpub.

But I must admit the colors do look nice. I might buy him, slap on some Decepticon reprolabels and make him a generic Cybertronian for Shockwave's army.


Personally I enjoy seeing "flip-sides" of characters, where Ratex X would be an Opera Singer whose into theater :P

Anyways, I may end up getting another and petitioning Reprolabels into making him into an updated W.A.R.S
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305220)
Posted by UltraPrimal on October 25th, 2011 @ 10:34pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
UltraPrimal wrote:Wow! You can really tell FunPub isn't even trying anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted that entire bio from some Marvel wiki entry or toy card back bio or something and just went Ctrl+F and replaced "Deadpool" with "Drift".


How about actually looking into it? ;)

Nah. Looked around for 10 minutes, couldn't find anything. Honestly, Marvel is such a juggernaut spanning so many medias, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a Deadpool bio similar to this out there somewhere linked some obscure piece of merchandise. Like on the back a trading card or in a video game or something.

But my point is the SG universe is just so lazy as it is. The basic formula for making a SG character basically boils down to this:
1: Select a character from G1
2: Personality = A. Take that character's personality and flip it; cowardly is courageous, strong is weak, dumb is intellegent. OR B. If that character has a rival, swap that characters personality with their rivals and vica versa.
3: Color scheme = A. Review all the previous toys of that character and repurpose one of it's repaints as said new SG character. OR B. If that character has a rival, swap the rivals color scheme onto the originals body, and vica versa.
Done.

I know some people may like SG, and I'm not gonna fault them for that, but I jut find it boring and predictable. And it's little annoying how we keep getting more SG toys that we don't really need when we could be getting more "Classics" style figures. I mean they could have still done a SG Drift if they wanted, but they could have also made him Deadlock. That way both side would be happy. Which maybe was their original intention, but then ones they got to "white and red car is now red and white car" and they realized "'Deadlock' is close to 'Deadpool'", seems like they kind of "Drifted" away from that original intent.

Rated X wrote:
UltraPrimal wrote:The whole Shattered Glass universe idea just seems lazy to begin with. But even that idea could have been interesting if executed properly.


I couldnt agree with you more my friend. Ever get the feeling "Shattered Glass" is nothing but a contingency plan for when Funpub cant get permission to use certian molds ? Or for when they are stumped on who the molds they have available could be used for ?

Im not going to get into my opinion on the "alternate universe" concept here, but repainted figures with no re-tool or intention of being a new character seem pretty convenient for Funpub.

But I must admit the colors do look nice. I might buy him, slap on some Decepticon reprolabels and make him a generic Cybertronian for Shockwave's army.

Thanks.

I'll probably still buy him. I do like Drift and I like Deadpool. I don't necessarily think they should go together. Unless it's actually a comic with Drift and Deadpool in it. Kind of like the Cable/Deadpool comics. That would be pretty fun.


If FunPub ever does a Shattered Glass Beast Wars...I shutter to think of the horror. Primal...in purple and green...saying "No" constantly.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305279)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on October 26th, 2011 @ 3:25am CDT
Now that the mock up pics are finally revealed, Drift looks great! Especially in alt-mode. Anyone have a WW-II TF display? Drift makes for a patriotic Japanese solider with the old flag of Japan deco on the alt mode :D
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305337)
Posted by Counterpunch on October 26th, 2011 @ 8:53am CDT
Drift looks great, but in no way should they still be using a theme from a BotCon from three years ago for a figure available to the general public. Why should anyone who didn't hit BotCon 2008 give a damn?

I think that Rated X is correct, they fall back on this theme when nothing else can happen. Unless this year's Botcon theme proves that wrong. We'll see.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305342)
Posted by RiddlerJ on October 26th, 2011 @ 9:12am CDT
Counterpunch wrote:Drift looks great, but in no way should they still be using a theme from a BotCon from three years ago for a figure available to the general public. Why should anyone who didn't hit BotCon 2008 give a damn?

I think that Rated X is correct, they fall back on this theme when nothing else can happen. Unless this year's Botcon theme proves that wrong. We'll see.


I think after Seekergate a few years back, they are a little gun shy on what characters they want to use for their exclusives. I wouldn't be surprised if hasbro even prohibits them from using a lot of characters when the demand for heritage characters became apparant.

I don't mind the SG theme because it gives my wallet a rest (Runamuck and Runabout are probably gonna get me at any rate). Maybe Funpub should should just go back to inventing new characters.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305346)
Posted by Counterpunch on October 26th, 2011 @ 9:25am CDT
RiddlerJ wrote:I don't mind the SG theme because it gives my wallet a rest (Runamuck and Runabout are probably gonna get me at any rate).


Exactly my point though, shouldn't the Fan Club's principle releases be created to appeal in ways that everyone will have a reason or at least a desire to get the figure?

There's about 1100 SG sets out there. For everyone else, I'm not sure why they'd care three years after the fact.

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. >:oP
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305349)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on October 26th, 2011 @ 9:33am CDT
Counterpunch wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I don't mind the SG theme because it gives my wallet a rest (Runamuck and Runabout are probably gonna get me at any rate).


Exactly my point though, shouldn't the Fan Club's principle releases be created to appeal in ways that everyone will have a reason or at least a desire to get the figure?

There's about 1100 SG sets out there. For everyone else, I'm not sure why they'd care three years after the fact.

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. >:oP


The way I see it, its just an "exclusive", kinda hard to word it, but its sort of like the concept behind gold/black exclusive figures. Its just like "hey, lets take this toy and give it a limited run in colour variant." So if you disregard the fact its supposedly SG, it makes for quite a decent repaint, except that it's nowhere close to being worth $60 since its not even a new character.

Not a fan of the SG universe too, it was a cool idea with botcon 08, but now it seems like re-using the idea has caused it to loose its novelty. >:oP
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305360)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 26th, 2011 @ 10:21am CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


With the powers of google translate, the writing on his hood "定" pronounced "Jō" means "constant". ;)


Some kanji have very fluid definitions. "定" means "constant" and "settle", but can also be expanded from those definitions to mean "decision", which can then be expand a bit more metaphysically to "fate", "destiny" and the most likely definition for Drift, "Doom".

Now, there are other ways to write "Doom" as well, so I have no idea which is more common. But I'd say that "Doom" makes more sense for the character than "constant".
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305362)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 26th, 2011 @ 10:27am CDT
Night_Viper wrote:
gavinfuzzy wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


With the powers of google translate, the writing on his hood "定" pronounced "Jō" means "constant". ;)


Some kanji have very fluid definitions. "定" means "constant" and "settle", but can also be expanded from those definitions to mean "decision", which can then be expand a bit more metaphysically to "fate", "destiny" and the most likely definition for Drift, "Doom".

Now, there are other ways to write "Doom" as well, so I have no idea which is more common. But I'd say that "Doom" makes more sense for the character than "constant".


Gotta love Chinese characters and Japanese Kanji. I do commend FP for using stuff that makes us fans think and feel smart, or at least doing their homework with stuff not many people know about. Petro-Rabbits come to mind :P

May I add Kanji isn't my strong suit? :oops:
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305366)
Posted by RiddlerJ on October 26th, 2011 @ 10:55am CDT
I think I'd like to see a Gobots theme from Fanpub.

Wreck-Gar could be Cy-Kill
Drift could be Turbo
Thunderwing could be Leader-1
Warpath could be Destroyer
Grimlock could be Zod
Dinobot could be Scales
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305368)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 26th, 2011 @ 11:01am CDT
RiddlerJ wrote:I think I'd like to see a Gobots theme from Fanpub.

Wreck-Gar could be Cy-Kill
Drift could be Turbo
Thunderwing could be Leader-1
Warpath could be Destroyer
Grimlock could be Zod
Dinobot could be Scales



It could be cool... But as Hasbro doesn't own Gobots, also very tricky. If not flat out impossible.

It's one thing mimicking existing Transformers toys (eHobby Minibots) but quite another to take someone else's characters entirely.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305371)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 26th, 2011 @ 11:08am CDT
Night_Viper wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I think I'd like to see a Gobots theme from Fanpub.

Wreck-Gar could be Cy-Kill
Drift could be Turbo
Thunderwing could be Leader-1
Warpath could be Destroyer
Grimlock could be Zod
Dinobot could be Scales



It could be cool... But as Hasbro doesn't own Gobots, also very tricky. If not flat out impossible.

It's one thing mimicking existing Transformers toys (eHobby Minibots) but quite another to take someone else's characters entirely.


WRONG. Hasbro does own the Gobots brand after taking over Tonka. They just don't own the molds as they're owned by Bandai. Case in point: Decepticon Fracture was intended to be Crasher, both in name and character, and the numerous homages by name would have been impossible otherwise.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305374)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 26th, 2011 @ 11:13am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Night_Viper wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I think I'd like to see a Gobots theme from Fanpub.

Wreck-Gar could be Cy-Kill
Drift could be Turbo
Thunderwing could be Leader-1
Warpath could be Destroyer
Grimlock could be Zod
Dinobot could be Scales



It could be cool... But as Hasbro doesn't own Gobots, also very tricky. If not flat out impossible.

It's one thing mimicking existing Transformers toys (eHobby Minibots) but quite another to take someone else's characters entirely.


WRONG. Hasbro does own the Gobots brand after taking over Tonka. They just don't own the molds as they're owned by Bandai. Case in point: Decepticon Fracture was intended to be Crasher, both in name and character, and the numerous homages by name would have been impossible otherwise.


Right, Hasbro owns a lot of the Gobots IP. But owning characters and names is one thing. Attempting to recreate the toys they don't own is another. (I misphrased the original post. I meant the characters' designs/toys)

I mean, that's pretty much exactly what the 3rd Party Companies are doing. And Hasbro isn't looking too kindly at that.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305437)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 26th, 2011 @ 2:42pm CDT
Night_Viper wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Night_Viper wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I think I'd like to see a Gobots theme from Fanpub.

Wreck-Gar could be Cy-Kill
Drift could be Turbo
Thunderwing could be Leader-1
Warpath could be Destroyer
Grimlock could be Zod
Dinobot could be Scales



It could be cool... But as Hasbro doesn't own Gobots, also very tricky. If not flat out impossible.

It's one thing mimicking existing Transformers toys (eHobby Minibots) but quite another to take someone else's characters entirely.


WRONG. Hasbro does own the Gobots brand after taking over Tonka. They just don't own the molds as they're owned by Bandai. Case in point: Decepticon Fracture was intended to be Crasher, both in name and character, and the numerous homages by name would have been impossible otherwise.


Right, Hasbro owns a lot of the Gobots IP. But owning characters and names is one thing. Attempting to recreate the toys they don't own is another. (I misphrased the original post. I meant the characters' designs/toys)

I mean, that's pretty much exactly what the 3rd Party Companies are doing. And Hasbro isn't looking too kindly at that.


When it comes to recreating specific designs of a Gobots/Machine Robo mold, Bandai will put a stop to it. Deco however is pretty fair game.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305440)
Posted by ShardFenix on October 26th, 2011 @ 3:00pm CDT
deco would fall more under IP i would think. Besides who wants the original modes? they were low tier transformer wannabes in the 80's Updated molds though wouldbe much appreciated and i dont think would interfere with bandai in anyway.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305454)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 26th, 2011 @ 3:30pm CDT
ShardFenix wrote:deco would fall more under IP i would think. Besides who wants the original modes? they were low tier transformer wannabes in the 80's Updated molds though wouldbe much appreciated and i dont think would interfere with bandai in anyway.


*ahem* Gobots came before Transformers ;)
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305455)
Posted by Night_Viper on October 26th, 2011 @ 3:34pm CDT
ShardFenix wrote:deco would fall more under IP i would think. Besides who wants the original modes? they were low tier transformer wannabes in the 80's Updated molds though wouldbe much appreciated and i dont think would interfere with bandai in anyway.



I think it's very much a mirror of what the 3rd Party Companies are doing. What's the difference between Hercules and say a Hasbro Cykill using Wreckgar?

Hercules uses a mold that Hasbro doesn't own. It uses a name that Hasbro doesn't own. Yet it's clearly meant to be an update of the original Devastator toy. Deco included.

Now Cykill. It would use a mold that Bandai doesn't own. It would use a name that Bandai doesn't own. Yet it would clearly be meant to be the an update of the original Cykill toy. Deco included.

If Hasbro is pissed that the first one is happening, why would they allow to second to happen?

Like I said, something like the eHobby Minibots, no problem. But make an entire set of toys meant as updates to toys that they don't own? That's a bit iffy.

Frankly...I'd kinda like more stuff like the eHobby figures anyway. There's no shortage of Diaclone, Microchange and other decoes that never made it as Transformers. So a red Hoist as Scratch, a black Ironhide as Van Guard... I think that would be a lot more fun!
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305464)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 26th, 2011 @ 3:54pm CDT
Night_Viper wrote:
ShardFenix wrote:deco would fall more under IP i would think. Besides who wants the original modes? they were low tier transformer wannabes in the 80's Updated molds though wouldbe much appreciated and i dont think would interfere with bandai in anyway.



I think it's very much a mirror of what the 3rd Party Companies are doing. What's the difference between Hercules and say a Hasbro Cykill using Wreckgar?

Hercules uses a mold that Hasbro doesn't own. It uses a name that Hasbro doesn't own. Yet it's clearly meant to be an update of the original Devastator toy. Deco included.

Now Cykill. It would use a mold that Bandai doesn't own. It would use a name that Bandai doesn't own. Yet it would clearly be meant to be the an update of the original Cykill toy. Deco included.

If Hasbro is pissed that the first one is happening, why would they allow to second to happen?

Like I said, something like the eHobby Minibots, no problem. But make an entire set of toys meant as updates to toys that they don't own? That's a bit iffy.

Frankly...I'd kinda like more stuff like the eHobby figures anyway. There's no shortage of Diaclone, Microchange and other decoes that never made it as Transformers. So a red Hoist as Scratch, a black Ironhide as Van Guard... I think that would be a lot more fun!


The difference is who owns the actual character it's meant to homage, and the mold used. Observe:

Hercules uses a mold that Hasbro doesn't own. It uses a name that Hasbro doesn't own. Yet it's clearly meant to be an update of the original Devastator toy which Hasbro and Takara own the copyright to. Deco included.

Now Cykill. It would use a mold that Bandai doesn't own. It would use a name that Bandai doesn't own. Yet it would clearly be meant to be the an update of the original Cykill toy. It would use a character Hasbro owns, and use a mold first used by a Transformer, the only things it would have in common are the deco and possibly name
.

To me, a toy update would be just that: a new mold, based around the original toy and character with all necessary features. Gobots are impossible to do in such a way since Bandai still owns the original molds. But the characters are Hasbro's, and that's all that's needed for a legal homage in the form of a repaint. I do not consider repaints toy updates, just character updates.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305473)
Posted by ShardFenix on October 26th, 2011 @ 4:10pm CDT
I'm with Jelze because thats my opinion worded far more eloquently than i could manage. Also is Hasbro really that pissed about 3rd party toys? I haven't haerd about any lawsuits they have filed, or cease and desist orders, or even seen the try to create their own versions of the 3rd party figures...
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305496)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on October 26th, 2011 @ 5:10pm CDT
ShardFenix wrote:I'm with Jelze because thats my opinion worded far more eloquently than i could manage. Also is Hasbro really that pissed about 3rd party toys? I haven't haerd about any lawsuits they have filed, or cease and desist orders, or even seen the try to create their own versions of the 3rd party figures...


I thought they were okay with them as long as what they make isn't too expensive, I think that's what they said at last year's Botcon, I could be wrong, it has been more than a year. :oops:
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305550)
Posted by ShardFenix on October 26th, 2011 @ 8:34pm CDT
that was the last thing i heard as well Cannon. Which is why im questiong this idea of hasbro hating on the 3rd partiers. I mean the TFC Devastator may be pushing the bounds of exceptable price to hasbro but they arent saying anything. And yes i do think ~$600 is a bit much haha.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305651)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on October 27th, 2011 @ 7:19am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Night_Viper wrote:
gavinfuzzy wrote:
Diem wrote:Originally he had the Kanji for "Ice" on his doors but now it's a new Kanji that looks familiar but that I can't quite place. Does anyone know what it is?


With the powers of google translate, the writing on his hood "定" pronounced "Jō" means "constant". ;)


Some kanji have very fluid definitions. "定" means "constant" and "settle", but can also be expanded from those definitions to mean "decision", which can then be expand a bit more metaphysically to "fate", "destiny" and the most likely definition for Drift, "Doom".

Now, there are other ways to write "Doom" as well, so I have no idea which is more common. But I'd say that "Doom" makes more sense for the character than "constant".


Gotta love Chinese characters and Japanese Kanji. I do commend FP for using stuff that makes us fans think and feel smart, or at least doing their homework with stuff not many people know about. Petro-Rabbits come to mind :P

May I add Kanji isn't my strong suit? :oops:


Im Chinese and I fail at it! Quite literally :lol:
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305771)
Posted by Blurrz on October 27th, 2011 @ 2:39pm CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:Im Chinese and I fail at it! Quite literally :lol:


Haha same, my prowess in my mother tongue isn't very good either.

To SG Drift... I own 3/4 of the mold variations already, and I'm not sure if I want to make it 4/5.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1305935)
Posted by Diem on October 27th, 2011 @ 10:49pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I don't mind the SG theme because it gives my wallet a rest (Runamuck and Runabout are probably gonna get me at any rate).


Exactly my point though, shouldn't the Fan Club's principle releases be created to appeal in ways that everyone will have a reason or at least a desire to get the figure?

There's about 1100 SG sets out there. For everyone else, I'm not sure why they'd care three years after the fact.

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. >:oP
Well I can't speak for others but I enjoy Shattered Glass and I was on the other side of the world in 2008. I only have 3 SG figures (5 if you count Minicons) and I don't feel like I need to own the 2008 set to enjoy the newer figures.

I'm just hoping that when this guy shows up in the Club comics he has medium awareness.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1306046)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 28th, 2011 @ 9:31am CDT
ShardFenix wrote:that was the last thing i heard as well Cannon. Which is why im questiong this idea of hasbro hating on the 3rd partiers. I mean the TFC Devastator may be pushing the bounds of exceptable price to hasbro but they arent saying anything. And yes i do think ~$600 is a bit much haha.


It's not just the price that worries Hasbro: it's their market share that's a greater concern. The 3rd Party companies tend to the hobbyists and collectors, while Hasbro mainly focuses on the kids and their parents (I can't stress that enough). Hasbro is keeping a close eye on them, but will probably only take action when they cross that mass-market line, as law-suits can be pretty costly (especially when you actually manage to lose one) and not worth it for "small game".
Put bluntly, as long as those companies keep to themselves, Hasbro/TakaraTomy is willing to keep an eye shut... for now. In fact, Takara is more lenient in such matters as they have willingly given out licenses for 3rd Party products to be sold at official conventions. That's an extreme cases though.
Re: Transformers Collector's Club Shattered Glass Drift Revealed (1309192)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on November 6th, 2011 @ 1:03pm CST

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #5 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 APR210677 5RI (CA) Milne"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #12 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210460 12RI (CA) Jones"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TAILSPIN Transformers G1 Micromaster Race Car Patrol TAIL SPIN 1989 130217A"
TAILSPIN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCRACKER Transformers Legacy Evolution Core Class G1 Hasbro 2023 New"
THUNDERCRACKER Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #17 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 APR221591 17A (CA) Yurcaba"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT Transformers Beast Wars McDonald's Happy Meal Premium 1998 230609A"
DINOBOT Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNICRON Transformers Super7 Reaction Retro Wave 6 G1 Prototype 2023 New"
UNICRON Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Walmart vtg reissue Hasbro 2021 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PANTHER Transformers Beast Wars McDonald's Happy Meal Food Premium 1996 210923A"
PANTHER Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATTRAP Transformers Beast Machines Mega Class complete Hasbro 2001 230325A"
RATTRAP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #11 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 OCT210409 11A (CA) VenBlu"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUZZSAW Transformers Beast Machines Basic + tech spec Hasbro 2000 220121A"
BUZZSAW Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHISPER Transformers G1 Micromasters Air Strike Patrol Hasbro 1989 220302A"
WHISPER Transforme ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #344 - Journey to the Pegs
Twincast / Podcast #344:
"Journey to the Pegs"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, February 24th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Cosmos" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy and Blowpipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Grimlock" on AMAZON