Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:06 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
I do find it strange how they downplayed the pre-existing animals of G1 when Beast Wars came into being. One two of the Five Dinobot dinosaurs made it into the Mainframe show, in Megs and Terrorsaur. Plus the ironic Maximal inclusion of Rhinox and Primal, in comparison to their Predacon and Horrorcon predecessors.

If Beast Wars had been made today, no doubt everyone would have been recycled, even down to the names.
Image
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Gestalt
Posts: 2359
News Credits: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby Skritz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:I do find it strange how they downplayed the pre-existing animals of G1 when Beast Wars came into being. One two of the Five Dinobot dinosaurs made it into the Mainframe show, in Megs and Terrorsaur. Plus the ironic Maximal inclusion of Rhinox and Primal, in comparison to their Predacon and Horrorcon predecessors.

If Beast Wars had been made today, no doubt everyone would have been recycled, even down to the names.


When BW was made, the idea of a 'legacy character' was only barely formed, with only Optimus Prime/Primal and Megatron being deemed important to the brand. The rest were often just some cool name they slapped on a character (Scorponok, Rampage, Dinobot, Silverbolt and Inferno being prime example within the show itself). That era up until the Unicron Trilogy (and even that was playing fast and loose beyond the most major of archetypes) the brand was seen very differently.

Its the bay movies and the massive '80 nostalgia boom which has led the franchise down the path of always sticking to the same design for every same character. During Beast Wars, the fanbase didn't really exist in its modern form yet. Appealing to the now adult G1 kids wasn't the intent. Its just the BW show decided to tie into the original cartoon (and comics), slowly winning over the fans when initially the show was seen as some abomination. The TRUKK NOT MUNKKY reaction, while overblown, was understandable because from the '80 to the late '90 there were only two incarnations of the brand: cartoon and comics, with the Japanese stuff being known but not very accessible.
User avatar
Skritz
Gestalt
Posts: 2183
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Skritz wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:I do find it strange how they downplayed the pre-existing animals of G1 when Beast Wars came into being. One two of the Five Dinobot dinosaurs made it into the Mainframe show, in Megs and Terrorsaur. Plus the ironic Maximal inclusion of Rhinox and Primal, in comparison to their Predacon and Horrorcon predecessors.

If Beast Wars had been made today, no doubt everyone would have been recycled, even down to the names.


When BW was made, the idea of a 'legacy character' was only barely formed, with only Optimus Prime/Primal and Megatron being deemed important to the brand. The rest were often just some cool name they slapped on a character (Scorponok, Rampage, Dinobot, Silverbolt and Inferno being prime example within the show itself). That era up until the Unicron Trilogy (and even that was playing fast and loose beyond the most major of archetypes) the brand was seen very differently.

Its the bay movies and the massive '80 nostalgia boom which has led the franchise down the path of always sticking to the same design for every same character. During Beast Wars, the fanbase didn't really exist in its modern form yet. Appealing to the now adult G1 kids wasn't the intent. Its just the BW show decided to tie into the original cartoon (and comics), slowly winning over the fans when initially the show was seen as some abomination. The TRUKK NOT MUNKKY reaction, while overblown, was understandable because from the '80 to the late '90 there were only two incarnations of the brand: cartoon and comics, with the Japanese stuff being known but not very accessible.


Since we're talking "Legacy" characters, its predecessor Generation 2 had quite a few in its tail-end redecos, but that didn't save it. In fact, I'm willing to bet it only made things worse, so Hasbro did not repeat that... until Machine Wars :lol:
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17793
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
What's funny to me is that the Beast Era managed to miss out on reusing the name "Bumblebee". Which led to trouble for Aaron Archer.
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3536
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I think the Beast era worked out pretty good for no Bumblebee, and Cheetor was a worthy kid appeal.

Funny this list came up, I almost bought an Injector tonight, but realized I am oh so close to getting some ebay bucks in a week, so will wait till april to buy him. But him showing up in Cyberverse and just realizing how cool a toy he looks to be, I must get him. Same with Airhammer
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 18723
News Credits: 1528
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:I think the Beast era worked out pretty good for no Bumblebee, and Cheetor was a worthy kid appeal.
I'm just saying, it makes me laugh that the Beast Era somehow managed to not reuse such a blatantly animal-based name at any point. Now that I think about, "Hound" is also conspicuously absent from the recycled names.
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3536
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Motto: "Nobody can escape the rain"
Weapon: Acid Rainmaker Rifles
Well the thing is, they couldn't have a toy called Bumblebee that transformed into a bee otherwise that would be difficult to trademark or they could have a toy called Bumblebee that didn't transform into a bee.

I guess the same thing applies to Hound.

:MAXIMAL:
User avatar
Rainmaker
Brainmaster
Posts: 1409
News Credits: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 am
Location: Where your eyes can't go
Alt Mode: Acidmaker
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: N/A
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 6

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
They had a spider guy whose name was literally just the plural of "tarantula" spelling-wise, and a dinosaur guy named "Dinobot".
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3536
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Motto: "Nobody can escape the rain"
Weapon: Acid Rainmaker Rifles
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:They had a spider guy whose name was literally just the plural of "tarantula" spelling-wise, and a dinosaur guy named "Dinobot".


Yes, they each had a catch. Tarantulas being plural and Dinobot being Dino and bot.

Bumblebee and Hound are just Bumblebee and Hound.

:MAXIMAL:
User avatar
Rainmaker
Brainmaster
Posts: 1409
News Credits: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 am
Location: Where your eyes can't go
Alt Mode: Acidmaker
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: N/A
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 6

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby Skritz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 am

Wait what did Injector show up in Cyberverse? When?! HOW?! WHY?!?!?
User avatar
Skritz
Gestalt
Posts: 2183
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Top 5 Best Beast Wars Toys of Non Show Characters

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Skritz wrote:Wait what did Injector show up in Cyberverse? When?! HOW?! WHY?!?!?

It's a season 3 spoiler for anyone who didn't watch the whole season that Sabrblade posted in the Thread. He's not major or anything, but like Airhammer, he does show up
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 18723
News Credits: 1528
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Previous

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Fortress Maximus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
Twincast / Podcast #251:
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction High Octane Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Lockdown New in Box NIB MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Cny Year Of The Horse Starscream Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Age of Extinction 12” Lockdown Action Figure New in Box NIB MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers lot incomplete Hasbro missing weapons Hot Shot Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "KREO KREON FIGURE OPTIMUS PRIME TRANSFORMERS MOVIE AOE GALVATRON FACTORY BATTLE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Silver Knight Optimus Prime 12" Target Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum edition Year of The Horse Starscream" on EBAY