Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:23 am

Motto: "The only difference between a hero and the villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
I would definitely add Siege Chromia to the list, if not as an honorable mention. In a sea of gems, she is the only dud in my opinion.
"...And here I am. In an alternate universe that I don't recognize, but I fit in just fine."
User avatar
Nathaniel Prime
News Staff
Posts: 898
News Credits: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 am

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 am

Motto: "The only difference between a hero and the villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.
"...And here I am. In an alternate universe that I don't recognize, but I fit in just fine."
User avatar
Nathaniel Prime
News Staff
Posts: 898
News Credits: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 am

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.

I don't own T30 Chromia. or Prime Arcee. But I do own SIEGE Chromia, and I like her very much. I like the sculpt, I like the details, I like her weapons, I like the articulation, I like the altmode better resembling Chromia's car mode instead of being a motorcycle trying to cosplay as it.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.

I don't own T30 Chromia. or Prime Arcee. But I do own SIEGE Chromia, and I like her very much. I like the sculpt, I like the details, I like her weapons, I like the articulation, I like the altmode better resembling Chromia's car mode instead of being a motorcycle trying to cosplay as it.

Believe me, T30 Chromia is great, and she is why I did not even bother with the Siege one. That Siege one is not impressive at all. They need to get away from that PotP/Siege style mold, it's really subpar.
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 16340
News Credits: 1369
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.

I don't own T30 Chromia. or Prime Arcee. But I do own SIEGE Chromia, and I like her very much. I like the sculpt, I like the details, I like her weapons, I like the articulation, I like the altmode better resembling Chromia's car mode instead of being a motorcycle trying to cosplay as it.

Believe me, T30 Chromia is great, and she is why I did not even bother with the Siege one. That Siege one is not impressive at all. They need to get away from that PotP/Siege style mold, it's really subpar.

I actually own it and find it to be quite enjoyable. What's so subpar about it? The only thing I'd trade her for is a mold that more closely duplicated the van mode, but she's plenty for me for now.
I have deliberately passed on T30 Chromia because of the altmode thing and the hope that a better match would come along - and SIEGE delivered. I might get the mold's original Prime Arcee incarnation, but not T30 Chromia.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.

I don't own T30 Chromia. or Prime Arcee. But I do own SIEGE Chromia, and I like her very much. I like the sculpt, I like the details, I like her weapons, I like the articulation, I like the altmode better resembling Chromia's car mode instead of being a motorcycle trying to cosplay as it.

Believe me, T30 Chromia is great, and she is why I did not even bother with the Siege one. That Siege one is not impressive at all. They need to get away from that PotP/Siege style mold, it's really subpar.

I actually own it and find it to be quite enjoyable. What's so subpar about it? The only thing I'd trade her for is a mold that more closely duplicated the van mode, but she's plenty for me for now.
I have deliberately passed on T30 Chromia because of the altmode thing and the hope that a better match would come along - and SIEGE delivered. I might get the mold's original Prime Arcee incarnation, but not T30 Chromia.

It is lazy, it's bulky where it shouldn't be, it's boxy, it incorporates virtually nothing into it, and it's clunky to move around with. Elita-1 is a great toy, her limbs (and similar non-limb) are the opposite of her. Elita is fun, the Moonracer mold is not.
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 16340
News Credits: 1369
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Ironhidensh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
You know who I would add to this list? The Siege Primes. Both of them. The voyager, because he was hyped up so very much by everyone who got him, that by the time my stores actually started to stock him, I had this amazing figure built up in my head. The toy I took out of box is just super lame.

Galaxy Upgrade because he is one of the rare updates to older toys that falls far short of the original.
Card carrying grumpy old man.


Image

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
User avatar
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
Posts: 4524
News Credits: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Ironhidensh wrote:You know who I would add to this list? The Siege Primes. Both of them. The voyager, because he was hyped up so very much by everyone who got him, that by the time my stores actually started to stock him, I had this amazing figure built up in my head. The toy I took out of box is just super lame.

Galaxy Upgrade because he is one of the rare updates to older toys that falls far short of the original.

I would strongly disagree with both. If anything, Chromia and Starscream are the disappointments of that line so far to me, they just don't seem to be much good compared to the rest.

Also, SS helicopter Dropkick should be here too. Bringing that conversation in from another thread
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 16340
News Credits: 1369
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Ironhidensh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:You know who I would add to this list? The Siege Primes. Both of them. The voyager, because he was hyped up so very much by everyone who got him, that by the time my stores actually started to stock him, I had this amazing figure built up in my head. The toy I took out of box is just super lame.

Galaxy Upgrade because he is one of the rare updates to older toys that falls far short of the original.

I would strongly disagree with both. If anything, Chromia and Starscream are the disappointments of that line so far to me, they just don't seem to be much good compared to the rest.


I will agree on Chromia, but Starscream is actually one of the figures I really, really like. Go figure, huh?



Also, SS helicopter Dropkick should be here too. Bringing that conversation in from another thread


Oh god, yes. He is so bad I'd actually put him out of my mind!
Card carrying grumpy old man.


Image

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
User avatar
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
Posts: 4524
News Credits: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:IMO she's the gem and T30 Chromia's the dud.


I dunno about that. I don't own either figure, but I assumed since the Prime Arcee mold that T30 was retooled from was great, Chromia would be great too.

I don't own T30 Chromia. or Prime Arcee. But I do own SIEGE Chromia, and I like her very much. I like the sculpt, I like the details, I like her weapons, I like the articulation, I like the altmode better resembling Chromia's car mode instead of being a motorcycle trying to cosplay as it.

Believe me, T30 Chromia is great, and she is why I did not even bother with the Siege one. That Siege one is not impressive at all. They need to get away from that PotP/Siege style mold, it's really subpar.

I actually own it and find it to be quite enjoyable. What's so subpar about it? The only thing I'd trade her for is a mold that more closely duplicated the van mode, but she's plenty for me for now.
I have deliberately passed on T30 Chromia because of the altmode thing and the hope that a better match would come along - and SIEGE delivered. I might get the mold's original Prime Arcee incarnation, but not T30 Chromia.

It is lazy, it's bulky where it shouldn't be, it's boxy, it incorporates virtually nothing into it, and it's clunky to move around with. Elita-1 is a great toy, her limbs (and similar non-limb) are the opposite of her. Elita is fun, the Moonracer mold is not.

1. You seem to have a strange definition of "lazy". I mean, you call SIEGE Chromia lazy and yet don't see Earth Wars' lazy copypasting of the FoC Grimlock sword as such?
2. "Boxy" is not a valid complaint wehen the vehicle mode is SUPPOSED to be boxy: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TSFAT_Chromia_vehicle.jpg Complaining about it being boxy is like complaining about Optimus Prime being boxy.
3. I'll give you the lack of integration, but that's to be blamed on Floron the Moron Dery giving the female Autobots altmodes that were boxy yet robot modes that were curvy, while pulling his usual "vanishing kibble" BS with said robot modes.
4. How is it clunky to move around with? She's got a great range of motion in her arms and legs.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:It is lazy, it's bulky where it shouldn't be, it's boxy, it incorporates virtually nothing into it, and it's clunky to move around with. Elita-1 is a great toy, her limbs (and similar non-limb) are the opposite of her. Elita is fun, the Moonracer mold is not.

1. You seem to have a strange definition of "lazy". I mean, you call SIEGE Chromia lazy and yet don't see Earth Wars' lazy copypasting of the FoC Grimlock sword as such?
2. "Boxy" is not a valid complaint wehen the vehicle mode is SUPPOSED to be boxy: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TSFAT_Chromia_vehicle.jpg Complaining about it being boxy is like complaining about Optimus Prime being boxy.
3. I'll give you the lack of integration, but that's to be blamed on Floron the Moron Dery giving the female Autobots altmodes that were boxy yet robot modes that were curvy, while pulling his usual "vanishing kibble" BS with said robot modes.
4. How is it clunky to move around with? She's got a great range of motion in her arms and legs.

1) Giving a weapon from one continuities character to another as a combiner weapon isn't lazy, it is a great homage done right.
2) Sometime though, we should forget what they originally were meant to be and give them a more appropriate alt mode. a Motorcycle worked far better for Chromia than a box van/car
3) 84 cartoon aesthetics, it happens and needs fixed
4) I didn't buy Chromia but i have the limb gals, and they can move a bit, but can't hold it cause they have no balance and a very off center of gravity, I've not really seen chromia correct either of those at all.
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 16340
News Credits: 1369
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
EDITED TO AMEND AN OVERLY HEATED AND PETULANT RESPONSE

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:It is lazy, it's bulky where it shouldn't be, it's boxy, it incorporates virtually nothing into it, and it's clunky to move around with. Elita-1 is a great toy, her limbs (and similar non-limb) are the opposite of her. Elita is fun, the Moonracer mold is not.

1. You seem to have a strange definition of "lazy". I mean, you call SIEGE Chromia lazy and yet don't see Earth Wars' lazy copypasting of the FoC Grimlock sword as such?
2. "Boxy" is not a valid complaint wehen the vehicle mode is SUPPOSED to be boxy: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TSFAT_Chromia_vehicle.jpg Complaining about it being boxy is like complaining about Optimus Prime being boxy.
3. I'll give you the lack of integration, but that's to be blamed on Floron the Moron Dery giving the female Autobots altmodes that were boxy yet robot modes that were curvy, while pulling his usual "vanishing kibble" BS with said robot modes.
4. How is it clunky to move around with? She's got a great range of motion in her arms and legs.

1) Giving a weapon from one continuities character to another as a combiner weapon isn't lazy, it is a great homage done right.
2) Sometime though, we should forget what they originally were meant to be and give them a more appropriate alt mode. a Motorcycle worked far better for Chromia than a box van/car
3) 84 cartoon aesthetics, it happens and needs fixed
4) I didn't buy Chromia but i have the limb gals, and they can move a bit, but can't hold it cause they have no balance and a very off center of gravity, I've not really seen chromia correct either of those at all.

1a. It feels more like laziness to me than a "great homage" because they used it completely unmodified rather than tweaking the design to add unique flare. Beyond the feeling of laziness... FoC Grimlock's sword is cool and all, but it doesn't match the G1 weapon aesthetic at all or have anything in common with the G1 Dinobots' swords detail-wise. And while cool, it doesn't feel cool enough as-is for the might of the Dinobots combined IMO (Personally, I think if they were going to reference another Grimlock then Animated Grimlock's sword would have been better). I think the ideal for Volcanicus, however, would be a unique sword that matched the individual G1 Dinobots' swords, possibly amalgamating features from them
1b. We kinda got sidetracked by that debate. What makes you say SIEGE Chromia is lazy?
2. ....What kind of logic is that? And on what grounds is a motorcycle "more appropriate"? I think a van is in fact more appropriate because it matches Ironhide nicely.
3. Keeping the 84 cartoon aesthetic makes sense for a toon-based line. What needs to be fixed is the "Female TFs always need teh curves" idea. Maybe if Hasbro was over that, they'd have been willing to give up some curviness to have better integration.
4.Image
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Optimum Supreme » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:54 am

Motto: "That's [not out yet/never came out] in my area."
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
CHUG Galvatron was far more disappointing than TR Galvatron. TR is flawed, yes, but still good overall, whereas CHUG is just a disaster.
User avatar
Optimum Supreme
Godmaster
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: 7
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 4

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Motto: "The only difference between a hero and the villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Optimum Supreme wrote:CHUG Galvatron was far more disappointing than TR Galvatron. TR is flawed, yes, but still good overall, whereas CHUG is just a disaster.


Universe Galvatron is good in my opinion, but I can feel he was made to be a Voyager class figure. He is a bit fiddly, and pretty darn complex for his size, but he is a good figure.
"...And here I am. In an alternate universe that I don't recognize, but I fit in just fine."
User avatar
Nathaniel Prime
News Staff
Posts: 898
News Credits: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Out of the two I fount Titans to be much more disappointing. They had a lot of time to refine their craft by then and just look at what they gave us. In the same line that gave us some pretty good TFs! Even Takara couldn't save him. Meanwhile the clear version of CHUG Galvy can be combined with the Platinum Cyclonus / Sweeps set and a Unicron to make a sweet reformatting scene (which is what I did).

As for Chromia ... I hate the PotP female Autobot mould and I wish I didn't have to get it to obtain Elieta's crew. Mainly thanks to that obnoxious backpack. I also don't like that the crew all looks the same, which Seige Chromia doesn't help with. So I haven't replaced her.
Gauntlet101010
Faction Commander
Posts: 4340
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:03 am

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
I still just don't get people think is so disappointing about Titans Return Galvatron. I get people having an issue with the headmaster gimmick's implementation (although even here I think people are blowing it's faults waaaay out of proportion), but I don't get writing off the figure as a whole. Do the hiccups with e one part somehow torpedo the whole thing for people?
Meanwhile the Universe version seems like a total mess to me - he's undersized, the right arm articulation is apparently gimped, the robot mode is cluttered with kibble from an Earth mode that Galvatron never had, and said Earth mode is made laughable to me by the blatantly unearthly cannon.

Frankly, I think Leobreaker belongs on this list a hell of a lot more than TR Galvatron. Poor toy form Savage Claw Mode... It's okay, but hooooo boy is it awkward and a severe letdown compared to the prototype and what the show would have you expecting.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am

The head is a huge problem, but hardly the only one. His cannon is not only disproportionally large, but having it where it is neuters his arm articulation in a far worse way than CHUG Galvy. The spaceship mode is also so terrible it's hardly worth remembering.
Gauntlet101010
Faction Commander
Posts: 4340
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am

Gauntlet101010 wrote:The head is a huge problem, but hardly the only one. His cannon is not only disproportionally large, but having it where it is neuters his arm articulation in a far worse way than CHUG Galvy. The spaceship mode is also so terrible it's hardly worth remembering.

Of all the problems I have with Galvatron (hence why he is on the list), the spaceship mode is not one of them. I dont feel it hurts the toy in any way and it gives him a flight mode instead of him driving a spaceship. My main problem is the head since the gimmick makes it not look good and hurts the articulation.
I will reiterate though, this list was never about bad toys, its about toys that dissapointed people because they could have been amazing. This could have been the end all be all Galvatron, one for the ages, it does so much right that its dissapointing for the head part to be such a dud.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 25392
News Credits: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
william-james88 wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:The head is a huge problem, but hardly the only one. His cannon is not only disproportionally large, but having it where it is neuters his arm articulation in a far worse way than CHUG Galvy. The spaceship mode is also so terrible it's hardly worth remembering.

Of all the problems I have with Galvatron (hence why he is on the list), the spaceship mode is not one of them. I dont feel it hurts the toy in any way and it gives him a flight mode instead of him driving a spaceship. My main problem is the head since the gimmick makes it not look good and hurts the articulation.
I will reiterate though, this list was never about bad toys, its about toys that dissapointed people because they could have been amazing. This could have been the end all be all Galvatron, one for the ages, it does so much right that its dissapointing for the head part to be such a dud.
I think he still is one for the ages, and don't personally find the head issues to be anywhere near as bad as you make them out to be in the list.

Was Leobreaker even brought up when this list was being written? I have to know.

Gauntlet, how so? Universe Galvy apparently can't move his shoulder outward much, while TR Galvatron has no such issue. The paldrons lift to give rotational clearance, too. It does admittedly restrict the elbow articulation if the cannon is arm mounted, but that doesn't bother me as much as the impaired shoulder would, so... As for the cannon's size, it's a tradeoff - It's rather big for the robot mode, for the sake of not looking shrimpy on the self-propelled gun mode. And it's nowhere near as bad as G1 Megatron or MP-05 Megatron :P
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:31 pm

The shoulder articulation doesn't bother me on the one arm as much as hindered elbows do for Titans Galvy. And, yeah, that's what I mean by the arm articulation being destroyed. I mean at least the cannon doesn't get in the way of CHUG Galvy; it's a hindrance for Titans Galvy. And if it's that big for the spaceship mode, then it's even worse since that mode is best left forgotten.

As a big Galvatron fan I was happy to get a new Galvatron with CHUG despite it's flaws, but was very disappointed with Titans Galvatron. By the time it came around I felt they could have done better. Just as a display piece I find it wanting. The head, the cannon .... what can I say? I found it way more disappointing overall, even if CHUG Galvy had a lot of problems.
Gauntlet101010
Faction Commander
Posts: 4340
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Gauntlet101010 wrote:And if it's that big for the spaceship mode, then it's even worse since that mode is best left forgotten
#-o :roll:
Kindly read my post again, please. I said for the self-propelled gun mode.
Image
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 pm

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:And if it's that big for the spaceship mode, then it's even worse since that mode is best left forgotten
#-o :roll:
Kindly read my post again, please. I said for the self-propelled gun mode.
Image

Okay, so not calling it a cannon mode?  >:oP

I don't think it needed to be that big, nor do I think it needed to be mounted that way on his arm. It just didn't need to be a problem.

What do you want? I found it way more disappointing than CHUG Galvy. Overall I think it looks bad. The only reason I'd replace CHUG Galvy with it is size.
Last edited by Gauntlet101010 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gauntlet101010
Faction Commander
Posts: 4340
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby william-james88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 pm

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Was Leobreaker even brought up when this list was being written? I have to know.


He wasn't. It was basically figures post 2007 because thats when adults rediscovered transformers and brought their complaints and expectations. Before that the only uproar for things totally ruinned was Trukk not Munky.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 25392
News Credits: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Most Disappointing Transformers Toys

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Motto: "It's unnerving and insulting when people in a toy-based fandom, whatever it is, make statements to the effect that general consumers and fans of lesser financial means should be deprived entirely of the ability to partake of the primary market."
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:And if it's that big for the spaceship mode, then it's even worse since that mode is best left forgotten
#-o :roll:
Kindly read my post again, please. I said for the self-propelled gun mode.
Image

Okay, so not calling it a cannon mode?  >:oP

I don't think it needed to be that big, nor do I think it needed to be mounted that way. It just didn't need to be a problem.

What do you want? I found it way more disappointing than CHUG Galvy. Overall I think it looks bad. The only reason I'd replace CHUG Galvy with it is size.

What do I want? I guess to defend a figure that I really enjoy and which for me was a "HOLY CRAP SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" toy
First, a bit of a semantics issue that's been bugging me: Titans Return is part of Generations, so they're actually both CHUG Galvatrons.
Second, what's your problem with me calling it a self-propelled gun? That's what it is, that's why it has those treads. And calling it that helps me distinguish between his altmode and his weapon.
Third... I personally found Universe Galvatron to be an enormous letdown. I was excited to hear there was a modern Galvatron toy, disappointed to find out it was an undersize, ugly (IMO), awkward mess with the wrong altmode. To me, Titans Return Galvatron is a dream come true - decently articulated, the right size, actually looks like G1 Galvatron without the Earth mode baggage, and turns into the proper altmode, and even has what I consider to be a cool, clever replacement for Galvatron's original third mode.
Fourth, the cannon kinda did have to mount like that in altmode, on account of Galvatron having a separate head rather than a static one wrapped around a lightbulb :P And I do think it had to be that big; if it was smaller, like it is in some robot mode shots from the cartoon, it would look comically dinky relative to the gun body IMO.

william-james88 wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Was Leobreaker even brought up when this list was being written? I have to know.


He wasn't. It was basically figures post 2007 because thats when adults rediscovered transformers and brought their complaints and expectations. Before that the only uproar for things totally ruinned was Trukk not Munky.
Ah. Honestly, I think that's an overly narrow scope. Narrow enough to require a big fat asterisk in the title.
WANT:
Energon Optimus digger, firetruck, & copter drones; super mode head
Ultra-class Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mutant mask
Combiner Wars Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire "JTFR" Panels
Cybertron Safeguard
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Gestalt
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Skrapnel and Reflector Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Krok and Gatorface" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #230 - The Search for Convoy
Twincast / Podcast #230:
"The Search for Convoy"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 15th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager Optimus Prime MISB x 2" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Returns Autobot Twinferno MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Wars BLAST OFF Megatronus Combiner Wars Combaticons Bruticus" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers NEW * Deluxe Breakaway & Throttle * Titans Return Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Exclusive Arcee and Ultra Magnus Set brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers HFTD Voyager Class- Battle Blades Optimus Prime -New/Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONHIDE #3 Cover A & B Lot IDW Comics 2010" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hunt for The Decepticons Deluxe Class Hailstorm Mint 100% Complete" on EBAY