This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

What toys of today will be collectors items in the future?

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

What toys of today will be collectors items in the future?

Postby 4537256 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 pm

When i was young, i threw away all my toys, many of which i very much regret when i see what people pay for them on Ebay these days. I had alot of toys that i can't even find anymore or seem rather obscure.
Looking around today, i see all kinds of toys that could be potential collectors items years down the road or perhaps turn out to be very rare to find in mint condition. I think there are alot more collectors and traders of current toys now to suggest that very few toys today will ever hold any real value,plus the market may be alot more flooded now than it used to be, but ya never know i guess. I dont think any of todays Star Wars figures will have much value simply cause its Flooded and so many collectors have them. Gi joes and TF's are being re-issued/updated so i dont see them as ever holding value,much less being rare, :-?

So what kinds of toys today do you guys think will be rare or be collectors items in the future?
Mini-Con

Re: What toys of today will be collectors items in the future?

Postby Blurrz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
None of us here can look into the future, we aren't that good. :P But seriously, like 20-25 years, everything will be worth an increased value, due to inflation and such. Like G1, it's got a quality market because its a solid 20-25 years old. Doesn't matter if there's reissues. There's always a demand for the original figure. Beast Wars has yet to hit that because it's still only 12-13 years.

Obviously anything that any regular collector can get at retail isn't going to have an abundant resale value, compared to say, Botcon Scourge and the Sweeps. If one's trying to get some sort of money back from collecting, than it's not an instantaneous fortune, and you've got to put a lot of cash to get those sort of exclusives.
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby cybercat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 am

I don't think EVERYTHING will be worth an increased value, Blurrz. I remember everyone running around buying Beanie Babies like they were a retirement plan. Those people are idiots. The reason toys like the G1 line are expensive are BECAUSE everyone threw theirs out. The ones that survived, in that rare = expensive way, are worth cash.

HK
cybercat
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby Blurrz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
I'm not an idiot...
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Dead Metal » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Blurrz wrote:I'm not an idiot...

Yes you are and you know it, after all you collect Transformers, stupid little chunks of plastic that cost more than food and hookers. :P

I think one particular toyline will be pretty expensive in future is the Mattel Ghostbusters toyline, with them being the first GB toyline that has live action Ghostbusters looking like their actors, but then again those ar internet exclusives.

But it's mostly going to be toys nobody bought that are going to be very expensive collector's items in the future due to next to nobody owning and preserving them.

the only toys of today that will be as expensive as G1 stuff is today are the toys that already are effing expensive and hard to come-bye today, like henkei Crystal Convoy, jumping from just $80 to what $300 in a matter of 2 months?

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Editor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
In the future we will all be kicking ourselves because the collectors market will only be interested in one line from current day.

To take part in the future you need to be collecting:

Littlest Pet Shop.

All the TF's, Joes, McFarland, Ben 10 will be worthless. Only LPS will have collector value, buy them now.

:grin:

seriously thou, anything at this point is speculation and really who knows. Of course the Convention specials will hold collectors value, as will most of the Takara releases with their shorter production runs, but beyond that in TF's and even further in toys in general, any answers are as informed as asking who'll win the Superbowl in 2012.
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Name_Violation » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
Dead Metal wrote:
Blurrz wrote:I'm not an idiot...

Yes you are and you know it, after all you collect Transformers, stupid little chunks of plastic that cost more than food and hookers. :P

BEST QUOTE EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 3
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Supreme Convoy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Editor wrote:All the TF's, Joes, McFarland, Ben 10 will be worthless. Only LPS will have collector value, buy them now.

:BOT: I wouldn't necessarily count out Ben 10. People that grew up on that show might want the toys they couldn't buy as a kid.

I use to think Power Rangers were worthless but was quite surprised to see how much the early 90s toys can go. :CON:
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby SentinelA » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:04 pm

It's hard to believe that some of this crap that fills up the Toy ailes are going to be worth more later unless the toys are never opened. I think much of the inflation is due to online price hikes.

I personally think online exclusives, store exclusives and Japanese exclusives will be worth more.
SentinelA
Headmaster

Postby DecepticonKing86 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Motto: ""Decepticon or Die!!!!!""
I'm not sure if this is really that current, but what about Pokemon cards? I was collecting them like 10 or so years ago, still keep my all holographics. When are these gonna be worth a few bucks? LOL
TITOOK.NET Download and try
DecepticonKing86
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Grahf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Motto: "The only cure for stupidity is death."
DecepticonKing86 wrote:I'm not sure if this is really that current, but what about Pokemon cards? I was collecting them like 10 or so years ago, still keep my all holographics. When are these gonna be worth a few bucks? LOL

I have the same problem with all of my Magic: The Gathering cards. For a few series I literally bought boxes upon boxes of cards. They are now pretty much useless thanks to what cards are allowed to be used in tournaments. Even complete sets are worth less now more than when I bought them.

As for toys, I used to collect just about everything Mcfarlane made besides the sports lines. That was probably one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever been a part of. You know what happened to the most of them? After Ebay failed, I boxed them up and sent the ones I didn't want anymore to BBTS. At least I was able to get a few Masterpiece, Alternators, and Henkei Classics for them.

In the end, I still got ripped off, but now whatever I buy I plan to keep. I'm not in this to make money, just to feed my Transformer addiction. As far as the future market goes, it all comes down to production numbers. The less that are made, the higher the potential value may be.
Sometimes, just checking one more store isn't worth it

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.
Grahf
Headmaster
Buy from Grahf on eBay

Postby 4537256 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:23 pm

SentinelA wrote:It's hard to believe that some of this crap that fills up the Toy ailes are going to be worth more later unless the toys are never opened.

Dont ya think people back in the, lets say 80's thought the same things about many of the toys that filled the isles back then? Like Crystar, dunno if they have any decent value but i remember thinking those were kinda generic crap toys even as a kid but often times it only takes a movie,cartoon..etc release to make them popular.

Naturally i do agree with production numbers but also amount kept as well. Some toys are so common its rediculous but not many people actually keep them because of that, they think nothing of them just like i never thought anything of Garbage Pail Kids collectors cards, all of us kids in my area had tons of them yet today none of my friends still have them. I think Spongebob toys may one day, theres so many Spongebob stuff out there, but their mostly throw aways and IF the show dies out, eventually it may come back like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did.

What about happy meal toys? i think few keep them and production is short lived but i dont really know for sure however i do try nowadays to collect a few various toys here n there just in case.
Mini-Con

Postby Editor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
The thing about people buying them in the 80's is that the whole dynamic behind collecting/buying/scalping and such has changed over time.

From the point of living thru the toy fads of the 80's and working in a comic shop for a good chunk of the 90's I can say that things changed with the introduction of eBay and Todd McFarland in the toy industry.

Yes, there have been toy scalpers for longer than that, and i'm sure there is plenty of video still out there of the hysteria from the hey days of Cabbage Patch Kids, and Tickle-me Elmo. But those two changed a lot.

The scalpers for Cabbage Patch Kids got their money selling thru want ads, and Flea markets. With the introduction of eBay and other online site, a small hobby for some people looking to capitalize on a quick buck suddenly had the world at their finger tips and the means to find profit from people all over. Just look at the rise of Beenie Babies and how much of it was fueled by the net.

Think of a case of Transformers arriving at your local Target, Wal*Mart, or TRU. the odds are if it contains 12 pieces, that it will be made up of 4 of shelf warmer A, 4 of shelf warmer B, 2/3 of interesting figure C, and 1 or 2, of Chase figure D. Compare that with the 80's and the initial boxes of TF's that stores received.

1 Box all Primes
1 Box all Megatron
1 Box all Soundwave
1 Box equal numbers of Seekers
1 Box equal Mini-cars
1 Box Half Rumble/Ravage, Half Frenzy/Laserbeak
1 Box of 12 Cars
-- 1 Jazz
-- 1 Wheeljack
-- 1 Ironhide
-- 1 Ratchet
-- 1 Hound
-- 1 Trailbreaker
-- 1 Prowl
-- 1 Bluestreak
-- 1 Sunstreaker
-- 1 Sideswipe
-- 2 Mirage (due to the dropping of Hauler from the initial selection, released a year later as Grapple)

The point is everything was released in equal numbers, as was common for the time, with a few variations based on company policies. This was turned on it's head when McFarland decided to release his Spawn Toys on his own (then named Todd Toys) and not to chain stores but specialty comic stores, creating a new level of collector's market fueled by his addition of case specials that were the norm in trading cards at the time. With the addition of the emerging secondary market, the scaling down of some companies and the shrinking numbers of companies as some when under or were acquired by others, the big companies adopted a number of things from smaller companies (like shifting case allocations) and rather than setting an assortment that was locked in advance (Look at the second year when rather than waves we would see whole assortments like special teams released at the same time) we get things spread out with different pieces releasing months or weeks apart (how long did it take to complete Energon combiners??)

Makes you wonder how much of the perceived 'collectors market' is fueled by company execs figuring out when they'll drop certain pieces into the market, how much time between shipments, and what gets shortpacked. It's amazing how much some people will pay for an item perceived as being rare because only 1/2 are put in a box, only to find 3 months later that it's now 4 to a case.

ok enough rambling but that's my two cents.
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Strength: 6
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Dagon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
hellkitty wrote:I don't think EVERYTHING will be worth an increased value, Blurrz. I remember everyone running around buying Beanie Babies like they were a retirement plan. Those people are idiots. The reason toys like the G1 line are expensive are BECAUSE everyone threw theirs out. The ones that survived, in that rare = expensive way, are worth cash.

HK

Hey HK, liking the new pic down there.

Ok, aside from that, someone else said about MacFarlanes;' being a waste, I have to agree. And I love MacFarlane figures. But geez loiuse, they're twelve-16 bucks for a statue, and when I'd see them I'd end up buying the entire series flatout, so I didn't miss any of them and then kick myself later. Did that with the Age of Pharohs set and boy was I disappointed. Local TRUs seemed to get one box of MacFarlane's that would be almost instantly sold out so I'd always try to be quick. I loved, and I mean loved, his Dragons figures. Bought every one of them, until I realized that only the boxed set ones were any good.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 2
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10+

Return to General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #3 Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2023 DEC220383 3A (CA) Mora"
MMPR TMNT II #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #140 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 APR231608 140A Ninja Turtles Ongoing (CA) Smith"
TMNT #140 Cvr A ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv Halloween Special #1 Cvr F 1:25 IDW Comics AUG231435"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 APR231628 2D (CA) Federici"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ANNUAL 2023 Cvr C RI 1:10 Out of Time IDW Comics MAR231657 (CA) Ziritt"
TMNT ANNUAL 2023 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 DEC221447 2A (CA) Gallant"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr E 1:50 IDW Comics 2023 APR231629 2E (CA) Beals"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "USAGI YOJIMBO #21 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210471 (W/A/CA) Sakai"
USAGI YOJIMBO #21 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #8 Cvr D 1:25 RI IDW Comics OCT231362 8D (CA) Escorza"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #4 Cvr E 1:50 IDW Comics 2023 JUN231489 4E (CA) Beals"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #107 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 APR200716 107RI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
TMNT #107 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #144 Cvr C 1:10 IDW Comics AUG231416 144C Ninja Turtles Ongoing (CA) Smith"
TMNT #144 Cvr C 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv ENDLESS SUMMER Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics JUN231430 Flores"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #3 Cvr C IDW Comics NOV221626 3C (CA) Smith"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #351 - Ask Your Dad
Twincast / Podcast #351:
"Ask Your Dad"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, June 1st, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Grax and Skullsmasher" on AMAZON