This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Elapsed time in the comics. (G1 and IDW.)

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Elapsed time in the comics. (G1 and IDW.)

Postby Rodimus Prime » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Is there a definite length of time stated by the comics themselves, in both G1 and IDW, that elapsed from issue 1 to the final issue of their respective stories? I know the G1 comics started in 1984, but I don't remember anything more specific, and issue #78 was stated as 1991, but also nothing specific. Was it ever said what the date was when the Ark crashed in Canada and the Autobots returned to Cybertron? What about IDW, starting either at the very beginning or at least with the cast split in 2012?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Re: Elapsed time in the comics. (G1 and IDW.)

Postby Cyberstrike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:52 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Rodimus Prime wrote:Is there a definite length of time stated by the comics themselves, in both G1 and IDW, that elapsed from issue 1 to the final issue of their respective stories? I know the G1 comics started in 1984, but I don't remember anything more specific, and issue #78 was stated as 1991, but also nothing specific. Was it ever said what the date was when the Ark crashed in Canada and the Autobots returned to Cybertron? What about IDW, starting either at the very beginning or at least with the cast split in 2012?

To my knowledge: not really.

I don't think that the Marvel US series really bothered with dates outside of Unicron sending Galvatron back through time. The Marvel UK seemed only to state dates when they had stories set in then future after the events of TF:TM or stories that involved Galvatron and/or time travel.

IDW was pretty much the same unless the story was set in a specific point in either the past,(like Spotlight Shockwave, Spotlight Soundwave, and Evolution)or maybe in some cases establish how much time has passed between when the Transformers left Earth and came back to show and/or explain where various human characters and organizations that they knew and/or fought where they were.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
Rodimus Prime wrote:Is there a definite length of time stated by the comics themselves, in both G1 and IDW, that elapsed from issue 1 to the final issue of their respective stories? I know the G1 comics started in 1984, but I don't remember anything more specific, and issue #78 was stated as 1991, but also nothing specific. Was it ever said what the date was when the Ark crashed in Canada and the Autobots returned to Cybertron? What about IDW, starting either at the very beginning or at least with the cast split in 2012?

The Ark crashed in Canada?
Forget asking about dates.....you need to ask about locations lol

Just a joke,
I’m the Marvel comics the Ark did NOT crash in Canada
Roughly 4million years ago, the Ark crashed into a Volcano just outside a part of the world that would become known as Portland Oregon United States of America

The fictional volcano was named Mount St Hillary, The inspiration for that fictional volcano was Mount Saint Helens just outside of the state of Washington

As far as dates go, it seems that in the Marvel comics they played it very loosely, for example Booster (the human friend) did not seem to age very much over the books run....and yet in the stories covering the arrival of Unicron in the comics the books Reference the then current year the book was printed within the story, the 1990s....so we can be argued that real world time has passed

Likewise, the real world year was also mentioned in the UK Target 2006 stories

Based on that, it would seem it’s safe to assume that date the autobots return to cybertron was on the release date of the final issue of the comic, which would be in late 1990 , not the printed date, it was a comic book practice to have cover dates on books that were nearly 4 months in advanced.

For example, the first issue of the Marvel Transformers comic was released in May of 84, but the cover date is September
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 1

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:43 pm

sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
It most certainly did. Issue #79:

And it's "Buster," not "Booster." :-D

The main reason I asked about the timeline was because I'm trying to determine Spike's age in the comics from the time he showed up until the end of the G1 series, G2 and ReGeneration One not included.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
Rodimus Prime wrote:
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
It most certainly did. Issue #79:

And it's "Buster," not "Booster." :-D

The main reason I asked about the timeline was because I'm trying to determine Spike's age in the comics from the time he showed up until the end of the G1 series, G2 and ReGeneration One not included.

Sorry bout that
When you posted the 1984 date I just assumed you were asking about the original crash

The spelling mistake is my damn autocorrect

As to your question.....I still stand by what I said above , seems real world time was reflected within the stories on a few Occasions so I would say it would be near the printed date of the book or within a few years
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 1

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:57 am

Okay, thanks. I guess that makes sense. Spike was in college the whole time until he showed up in issue #38, so I'll guess he was about 22 when he debuted and about 25 when the series ended. I just needed to figure out the timeline, and I wasn't sure if I missed anything.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Pseudo "real time", for instance Infiltration happens in 2006 and Megatron's takeover of New York is, in-fiction, in 2008 or 2009 or whenever that was. Death of Optimus Prime, RiD 1 and MTMTE 1 are in 2012. Revolution is in 2016, Unicron attacks in 2018.

MTMTE and Lost Light get really out of sync by the end with TF and OP, but even the creators admit there wasn't a serious effort to keep their timelines "together" by that point. I think they no-prized it by saying The Warren is responsible for some crazy time dilations or contractions, but unsure how official that explanation is.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Marvel UK used Christmas issues to mark the ends of each in-story year.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 4A GI JOE 0124IM247 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #13 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 DEC210545 13RI (CA) Griffin"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2A 210411A"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers My Little Pony MAGIC OF CYBERTRON #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 1B"
Transformers My Li ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Secrets & Lies #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 FEB200645 1B (CA)Coller"
TRANSFORMERS '84 S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 2nd ptg Cvr C Cliffjumper Image Comics 2023 1123IM825 (CA)Howard"
TRANSFORMERS #2 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #22 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926T"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM323 6E (CA) Quinones"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #46 IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Griffith (W) Barber"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #42 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220435 42B (CA) Gauntt"
TRANSFORMERS #42 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM326 5D (CA) Bustos"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 3B 0124IM239 (CA) Azaceta"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926R"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #45 Marvel Comics 1988 (W/CA) Budiansky (A) Delbo 231208A"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON