This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Titans Return Hot Rod Pictorial Review

Post your reviews of Transformers toys in this topic. Videos can be posted in a topic as well as text reviews and images.
Please keep each topic dedicated to one specific toy (i.e. DOTM Deluxe Class Optimus Prime") that has actually been released.

Titans Return Hot Rod Pictorial Review

Postby Bronzewolf » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Motto: ""What Would Sky Lynx Do?""
Weapon: Double-Barreled Solid Sonic Energy Blaster
Hello, Seibertronians, I hope you all had a good holiday!
I just happened to receive Titans Return Hot Rod for one of my gifts, and thought I'd throw together a little pictorial review for you all! So let's dive in and klook at one of the most anticipated figures of wave three!

Let's start with the figure himself: he is just great looking. He totally encapsulates the aesthetic Hot Rod is supposed to have. That sleek, young look is just perfectly represented. While his robot mode might not have the most accurate colors, (namely on his legs), he is undeniably the Roddy we all know and love.

Although yes, I agree, you can't see his wing enough over his shoulders.

Hot Rod comes with two large rifles, so he can go full Rambo mode

These guns can combine to make another seat for a Titan(head)Master, per the norm with most wave 2/3 figures.

This seems like a cool additional feature until until you realise that, because of the placement of the handles and Hot Rod's articulation, there's no way that I've found for Rod to hold the gun in a fashion so the Titan master sits upright, unless you make him go street gang style.

The other gun-related issue (with mine at least) is the gun's pegs are just slightly too big for his hands (or vice versa), so when you put the guns in his hands, it requires a good bit of force, and with nothing directly under his hands to support that force, it all goes to the little pin keeping his hands on. I could easily see these breaking if not done correctly. Then again, it could just be an issue mine alone has, and others will have nothing to worry about.

Next up: size comparisons. Roddy is actually a bit tall for a deluxe, and not just because of his massive shoulders.

With some other Movie mates of all sizes:

Class of '86

Next, let's cover what is easily the best part of this figure: His vehicle mode, and Good Lord. Perfection. It really is. It feels solid, the transformation is great, everything clips together so well it's almost unbelievable. As many others have pointed out, he also has some cues to the TF: Animated incarnation of this character, which is awesome by itself.

Cruising with some more Cybertronian cars. Hasbro again knocking it out of the park with these.

Before we wrap things up, I wanted to touch on his Titan master: he's unpainted. Yes, continuing with the trend wave 2 started, he doesn't have a lick of paint on him, other than Hot Rod's face. But not only this: He's completely one color. Something even the Wave two figures did was mold the arms and legs in a different color than the rest of the body, just to give it some variety. I'll probably end up custom painting him, but it really is a blemish on an otherwise really good figure.

Other than that (and the limited articulation I didn't really touch on) he's a really, really good figure, and easily the best representation of this character we've ever gotten in a mainline release. I highly encourage picking him up!

----------
#Rodgate
#Braingate
#Domegate
:DAFT-PUNK-GM: :DAFT-PUNK-HAPPY:
Bronzewolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 419
Alt Mode: 2016 Aston Martin Vanquish
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Titans Return Hot Rod Pictorial Review

Postby lonrac » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Motto: "My 'collection' isn't worth bragging about"
Weapon: Photon Pistol
QC issue,

Mine has two of the same rifle, driver side when plugged into the engine or wheel well slot,

anybody get two passenger side rifles and want to swap?
lonrac
Fuzor
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 3
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 2

Postby Mechastrike » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:25 am

great toy. now PLEASE! make him a voyager sized prime with trailer upgrades?
Mechastrike
Combiner

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 am

Mechastrike wrote:great toy. now PLEASE! make him a voyager sized prime with trailer upgrades?

Probably happen in Power of the Primes line. I have a feeling we're going to be getting a lot of Primes. Remaining 13 and the fan made one and probably a Rodimus.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby frogbat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:41 am

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
I got him as part of a wave order and wasn't too keen but I found him to be an excellent toy no least thanks to his fun transformation
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Tigertrack » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:03 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I like him a lot. I find myself waffling on which is better, this or classics? I'm leaning toward this one, but I want some more premium painting in him to really give him the edge. Darker red, or a shade mixed with purple, and painted hub caps for starters.

I was surprised by how much I did like him though.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:20 am

Tigertrack wrote:I like him a lot. I find myself waffling on which is better, this or classics? I'm leaning toward this one, but I want some more premium painting in him to really give him the edge. Darker red, or a shade mixed with purple, and painted hub caps for starters.

I was surprised by how much I did like him though.

I too really like him. He's replaced my Reveal the Shield one which was the plan because his arms always popped off. That's mold degregation for ya. He's probably the only one I look forward to seeing what Takara does. If they do the Magenta color they did for MP Hot Rod I'll pick him up. I really want a version in that color:
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby KVO Prime » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 am

Question: What if you trim down the orange tabs that keep his arms from going lower anymore? Will that work to bring the arms down a bit and allow the yellow iconic spoiler to be more visible?
KVO Prime
Minibot

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:17 pm

KVO Prime wrote:Question: What if you trim down the orange tabs that keep his arms from going lower anymore? Will that work to bring the arms down a bit and allow the yellow iconic spoiler to be more visible?

No, the spoiler sits pretty low and there's a lot of plastic in the torso. You might cause more damage than good just to see some the spoiler
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:05 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Randomhero wrote:
KVO Prime wrote:Question: What if you trim down the orange tabs that keep his arms from going lower anymore? Will that work to bring the arms down a bit and allow the yellow iconic spoiler to be more visible?

No, the spoiler sits pretty low and there's a lot of plastic in the torso. You might cause more damage than good just to see some the spoiler

Already did it to mine a couple weeks ago. Nothing to do with the spoiler, I just hated how detached and high up his shoulders looked away from the torso. Shoulder joint should never be just below the noseline...
Had to trim the orange joint, some of the grey torso and some of the red shoulder but I'm much happier with it's general appearance now. Arms are a little long but it's very rare I pose them straight down anyways (they touch the very tip of the kneepad so not too bad). It's not perfect but nothing ever is. :P

I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Return to Transformers Toy Reviews

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL + RATTRAP Transformers War Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix 2021"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL + R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S13 ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Leader 2019 220825A"
WFC-S13 ULTRA MAGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K26 TRACKS Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K26 TRACKS Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIER Transformers War Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover A IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Grax and Skullsmasher" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON