This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Interesting article about Tomy/Takara

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Interesting article about Tomy/Takara

Postby SnapTrap » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:53 pm

Here is an interesting article about the toy market in Japan and how toy makers like Tomy/Takara are targeting older consumers.

For the lazy...
CNET wrote:Japanese toy firms forced to grow up

By Reuters
Published: January 23, 2007, 12:16 PM PST

Faced with a declining birthrate and a rapidly aging population, Japan's toy makers have had to learn one of life's most sobering lessons: everyone must grow up.

The industry that put "Transformer" robots into toy chests around the world and made "Tamagotchi" virtual pets the scourge of teachers is now hoping for growing demand from adults.

"The declining birthrate is a serious problem for us," Keita Sato, executive vice president and chief marketing officer of toy maker Tomy, said at an industry forum in Tokyo on Tuesday.

While there were plenty of traditional toys on display at the event, much of the emphasis was on products aimed at older consumers.

Tomy is hoping that gadget-loving young men--known in Japan as "otaku," or "nerds"--will embrace its new robot, the i-Sobot.

Small enough to fit in a lunchbox, the 6.5-inch-tall robot weighs in at just 12.3 ounces and is, according to Tomy, the world's smallest two-legged walking robot.

An updated version of the bulky "Omnibot" robots the company sold in the 1980s, the 2007 version can play drums, dance along with music, do push-ups and pick itself up when it falls.

With a price tag of about $260 here, Tomy is hoping to sell 50,000 i-Sobots in Japan and 250,000 more overseas.

The robots are the flagship product in a line of goods the company is marketing toward adults.

"We plan to strengthen our lineup of both basic toys for children and hobby items for adults," said Tomy's Sato.

Others include tiny radio-controlled airplanes that can land in small spaces, and a gadget that uses a laser to project a moving space landscape on a ceiling.

"In terms of pure toys, I think the outlook is pretty grim. But the definition of a toy is likely to gradually change. So the market will not necessarily shrink," said Yuta Sakurai, a research analyst who covers several game companies for Nomura Securities in Toyko.

Still, data from the Japan Toy Association shows that for now, the market here is slowly shrinking.

The market for toys, which does not include wildly popular video game systems and software, was estimated at $5.7 billion in the year to March 2006, down nearly 5 percent from four years earlier.

Konami is hoping to avert the trend by focusing on lifestyle products for single women in their 20s and 30s.

"In that sense, we are building a new market beyond toys," said Yoshiaki Komatsu, a director at Konami's toy and hobby division.

The company is using a line of colorful characters to sell everything from slippers and toothbrushes to CD holders and toilet-lid covers.

Konami hopes young Japanese women will continue to use the goods even after getting married, eventually introducing their children to the characters.

It is also pushing a line of decidedly odd party goods. One is a fuzzy hat that sports a roll of toilet paper at the crown. The wearer can offer friends toilet paper by simply bowing, Konami's Komatsu said.

"From here on, people in their 30s and 40s will be looking for goods to help them communicate."

Now I understand why Tomy wants to put out TF figures like Kiss Play.
SnapTrap
Targetmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Hotrod » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Front paged and credited!
Hotrod
City Commander
News Credits: 2024

Postby Liege Evilmus » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Awhile back when they said they were venturing into TF sports and music, I was very uneasy. But after seeing some of the results, and knowing the type of tech that they have, I'm just saying let them make toys for the older people. I'm older now, and kiddie gimmicks are boring more often than not.

So lets give these guys some LSD and see what they come up with, it's not like we HAVE TO buy any of it(or do we :-? )

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby Autobobby1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Sounds cool. I hope that Hasbro imports these robots! I'd buy one!
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
Autobobby1
Godmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Alex Kingdom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 pm

Very interesting, I sorta suspected this might be one of the reasons Japanese toys are on a whole aimed at an older market. It certainly explains why TakaraTomy do appear to be catering more toward the collector with high detail/quality figures over simpler play friendly figures for children. Which it great news for me but maybe not such great news for them. Although worldwide the adult toy market (get you minds out of the gutter :P ) has grow considerably over the last 5-10 years. These days most comic shops stock more figures and toys than comics, all aimed at adult collectors.

Yours AK
Alex Kingdom
Banned
News Credits: 1093

Postby Down_Shift » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
Alex Kingdom wrote:Very interesting, I sorta suspected this might be one of the reasons Japanese toys are on a whole aimed at an older market. It certainly explains why TakaraTomy do appear to be catering more toward the collector with high detail/quality figures over simpler play friendly figures for children. Which it great news for me but maybe not such great news for them. Although worldwide the adult toy market (get you minds out of the gutter :P ) has grow considerably over the last 5-10 years. These days most comic shops stock more figures and toys than comics, all aimed at adult collectors.

Yours AK

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I love the direction that Takara Tomy is taking. I respect Hasbro and all, but with the current direction of the line, I might weigh a little heavier towards Takara Tomy.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 6

Postby Sideshow Sideswipe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Motto: "Fritos are the right of all hungry beings"
Weapon: Shotgun
I want the I sobot NOW!!!

with joints so I can make it transform into something... It can't be that hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQ3nhXuuEM
God, save me from your followers.

Sideshow Sideswipe
Fuzor
News Credits: 70
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 9

Postby SnapTrap » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Plus toys of today are much more creative and intricate than they were when our parents & grandparents were children. Their toys were wooden or metal (usually with sharp edges) and they did more outside activities (like sports, role play, games, etc) than we did. That is probably why most people our parents age don't collect them. With the exception of those into scale model railroading of course...
SnapTrap
Targetmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby lockepsb » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:59 pm

how about marketing some more Transformer Collection Re-issues? It's been a year since they put out Blaster.
lockepsb
Mini-Con

Postby Zeds » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
They are not stupid. They know where the money is in the collector's market for the better made items. They should have aggressively issued more of the Masterpiece line with proper G1 colouring (ahem Starscream) so he would not be the shelf warmer he is in Japan from a past posting.

About time they went after it properly.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 am

Decent read, and it's further proof of how Takara/Tomy are staying one step ahead of their market, by continuing to evolve their products.

Wont be too long until American toy companies are following suit.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Declining birthrate?

How?

I mean, Japanese women love sex?!? I've seen movies. I know.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Emperor Primacron the 1st » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:41 am

Counterpunch wrote:Declining birthrate?

How?

I mean, Japanese women love sex?!? I've seen movies. I know.

When marriage begins, sex ends. :lol:

Or at least they don't want kids.

*looks for airline tickets to japan* >_>
Emperor Primacron the 1st
Transmetal Warrior

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #1 Cvr B IDW Comics JAN231645 1B (CA) Eastman"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr T LTD Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220602 2T (CA) Conner"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr C Dynamite Comics 2024 Disney AUG230318 11C (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ANNUAL 2023 Cvr A Out of Time IDW Comics MAR231655 (W/CA)Walsh (A)Legostaev"
TMNT ANNUAL 2023 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #7 Cvr J 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 APR230458 7J (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #7 Cvr J ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #114 Cvr D 1:10 Boom Studios Comics SEP230082 114D"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #145 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 AUG231419 145A Ninja Turtles Ongoing (CA) Smith"
TMNT #145 Cvr A ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER RANGERS DRAKKON NEW DAWN #3 (of 3) Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2020 3A"
POWER RANGERS DRAK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "USAGI YOJIMBO #21 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210471 (W/A/CA) Sakai"
USAGI YOJIMBO #21 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "USAGI YOJIMBO #30 IDW Comics 2022 JUN221681 (W/A/CA) Sakai"
USAGI YOJIMBO #30 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #7 Cvr F Dynamite Comics 2023 APR230454 7F (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #7 Cvr F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr A Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUN230679 9A (CA) Nakayama"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr A ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #10 Cvr Q FOC Dynamite Comics 2023 JUL239367 10Q (CA) Haeser"
GARGOYLES #10 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr F Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUN230684 9F Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr F ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Movie Anniversary Edition Optimus Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON