This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers at NYCC...Spotlight Metroplex

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers at NYCC...Spotlight Metroplex

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Game and Pop culture website IGN have posted a rundown of the IDW Panel at this years New York Comic Con, with both the Transformers and GI Joe titles featuring heavily.

While most of the news, regarding the Transformers: revenge of the Fallen prequel comics, and Spotlights Jazz and Drift are well known, the IDW Panel at NYCC did drop one big new revelation...Spotlight Metroplex.

As yet to be seen in the IDW Transformers comics Spotlight: Metroplex will be written by by Andy Schmidt with Marcelo Matere on art duties.

Also revealed is that we are to receive an All Hail Megatron Coda, a 4 part mini-series that will aim to bridge the gap between All Hail Megatron and the titles that came before it. Starting in July 2009, the Coda will feature two shorts stories per issue which will reveal "some very huge, secret plans".

A 16 page Poster book and a Beast Wars collection, similar to the War Within Collection that is due this week.

For the full rundown from IGN, please click here.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Re: Transformers at NYCC...Spotlight Metroplex

Postby ashe5k » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Motto: "He who hesitates, is lost."
Do we really need a lead up into All Hail Megatron?

Spotlight Metroplex has me intrigued though.
ashe5k
Targetmaster
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby partholon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 pm

i remember waaaay back on the IDW boards the notiong of a spotlight metroplex was brought up and i have to say im looking forward too it.

he's got one of the most unique roles in the army and i think you could get a really different character piece in it.

lets be honest most of it wouild be him just lying there !

be interesting to see what a city thinks of his inhabitants and how he handles his existance.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby JazZeke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Motto: "Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
Oooh, Spotlight Metroplex. I always thought the cityformers were one of the most outlandish concepts, but the character is interesting enough. I'm kind of hoping they have him turn into a space station instead of a city though, since a fortress size robot is waaay too big.

I'll probably pass on the AHM bridge, unless they do something amazing to real me in like bring Don Figueroa back. But I don't really want to sink more money into what has been to me a big step in the wrong direction for the IDW-verse.
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 10
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby MYoung23 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm

All Hail Megatron Coda = attempt to fix numerous continuity errors and unexplained events in a canonical series that seemingly wasnt meant to be canon.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:32 pm

MYoung23 wrote:All Hail Megatron Coda = attempt to fix numerous continuity errors and unexplained events in a canonical series that seemingly wasnt meant to be canon.

My Thoughts exactly.

A 12 issue Maxi series now needs another 4 issues to try and force it to fit in a universe that the writer obviously had no idea about when he pitched his series.

It also means that thus far AHM will have taken 11 issues to get to the point it is at now.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby MYoung23 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Im looking forward to Spotlight: Metroplex.

That is a great opportunity to find out what makes a previously underdeveloped character tick.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr

Postby Fananga » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

On the topic of Metroplex theres something that always bugged me. Was he the 'Autobot city' that was attacked during the Animated movie?

There were a few things (like the way the defences went up, the Drawbridge ramp etc and the fact that the city transformed at all) that made me think like that. Of course the fact he didnt transform to fight back kinda makes it obvious but things are never that simple when it comes to continuity or anything else for that matter when it coems to animation.
Iron Man, Iron Man, Does whatever an Iron can!
Fananga
Minibot

Postby MYoung23 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

I guess the unofficial story was that Metroplex was part of Autobot City and his transformation cog was destroyed which is why he had to be partially transformed manually in the movie.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr

Postby Firebird » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Weapon: Blinding Black Light Beam Gun
Spotlight Metroplex sounds interesting, I really like the one shots so I will definitely pick it up.

Coda just brings up more questions though. Was all this really necessary? Why couldn't the back story and "huge secret plans" have been in the past 7 issues of the regular AHM? It seems it would have been easier to just let Furman do Expansion at this point...
Twitter - @FirebirdGT
:BOT: [AWC]
Firebird
Godmaster
News Credits: 4
Buy from Firebird on eBay

Postby NuclearConvoy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm

This Coda seems interesting, considering I have been somewhat annoyed by the overall lack of connectivity I felt with AHM. Spotlight Metroplex also sounds like loads of raucus fun.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby lowman_x » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
Ooooh! Spotlight: Metroplex! Nice! Does this mean we'll see a Spotlight: Trypticon down the track too?

As to his role as Autobot City: Earth, he wasn't the entire city. According to the comics he was a part/the core of the city and the reason why it could transform at all. They had to manually engage the transformation process as he was dormant underneath/within the city itself and they harnessed his transformation power while he was in this state. (If you read Space Pirates it explains it all.)

His transformation cog was stolen after the events of the movie (I think it was the Starscream's Ghost two-parter).

As to the whole AHM coda thing... if we didn't have a half-baked story/premise to begin with and they had a writer who took into account and used the existing storyline that had been carefully crafted and set up during the few years previous, we wouldn't need a bloody comic of mini-stories to patch up a dreadfully out-of-sync maxi-series. I'm sorry, but IDW seriously fudged caked up on that one!

Also, does anyone know whether they're going to let Furman back to write the "main" storyline? I know he's doing Maximum Dinobots but what's the goss on him and EJ getting back to continuing the -ation series (or something equivalent)?
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Swiftpaw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Fananga wrote:On the topic of Metroplex theres something that always bugged me. Was he the 'Autobot city' that was attacked during the Animated movie?

As shown later in the season afterwards, Metroplex was a part of Autobot City, as opposed to the city in itself. The most likely presumtion is as the city was still being built when attacked Metroplex either wasn't 'awake' yet (thus needing the manual transformation of the city to defense mode) or including a portion transforming into a giant robot was added to prevent such future attacks between the movie and season 3.
Recent Aquisitions:
RTS Special Ops Jazz
RTS Wreck-Gar
FP Warbot Defender
Generations Blurr
Swiftpaw
Vehicon

Postby ponycorn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 am

Anything AHM - bring it on! 4 more issues totalling 8 more short stories of AHM - good thing in my book.

16 page poster book huh? Can't find anything on what posters. Just shocked right now that IDW is actually giving us posters.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #141 Facsimile 2023 ptg foil Marvel Comics SEP230776 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #141 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1 Facsimile Cvr C blank DC Comics 2024 0324DC133 1C"
NEW!
CRISIS ON INFINITE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Limited Series Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg (CA) Miller 231227"
WOLVERINE #1 Limit ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GIANT-SIZE SUPER-STARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg OCT230665 Buckler"
GIANT-SIZE SUPER-S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2024 ptg OCT230971 Frenz"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AVENGERS #1 Facsimile Ed Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230608 (W) Lee (A/CA) Kirby"
AVENGERS #1 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEW TEEN TITANS #1 Facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC206 1B Perez"
NEW TEEN TITANS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ADVENTURE COMICS #260 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC263 (CA) Swan + Kaye"
ADVENTURE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr C foil DC Comics 2023 0723DC814 1C (CA) Perez"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Batman VENGEANCE OF BANE #1 Facsimile DC Comics 2023 ptg 0223DC099 (CA) Fabry"
Batman VENGEANCE O ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BRAVE AND THE BOLD #54 Facsimile Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 54B (CA) Blank Sketch"
NEW!
BRAVE AND THE BOLD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230685 (CA) Miller"
ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GREEN LANTERN #87 Facsimile Cvr B Blank Sketch DC Comics 2024 ptg 1223DC212"
GREEN LANTERN #87 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MICRONAUTS #1 Facsimile var FOIL Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230682 (CA) Cockrum"
MICRONAUTS #1 Facs ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #349 - Agent of Chaos
Twincast / Podcast #349:
"Agent of Chaos"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 4th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Cosmos" on AMAZON