This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Interview with Shane McCarty

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Interview with Shane McCarty

Postby Dead Metal » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:45 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
KalelPrime on youtube has posted a new episode of the Moonbase2 podcast. This new part has a very long audio interview with Shane McCarty the writer of idw's Transformers All Hail Megatron.
You can follow this link to view it on youtube and download it or watch/hear it here.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MC3b5epypnA&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MC3b5epypnA&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh yea it's over one and a half hours long.

Stay tuned to seibertron.com for all your Transformers related news!

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Re: Interview with Shane McCarty

Postby Orin_Thomas » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Listening to the interview, it sounds like Chris Ryall had decided that Furman Transformersverse wasn't "good enough" and needed to be shaken up to get more people in. This might have worked, if the "shaking it up" didn't involve such utter rubbish. All Fail Megatron took 12 issues to get us where? A set piece battle in New York? All that mucking about and all the autobots needed to do was hitch a ride on Omega Supreme?

I've had a standing subscription for all transformers comics for a couple of years now (back to when Dreamwave held the license) - heck, in the 80's I had a subscription at my local newsagent to the UK Transformers book. All Hail Megatron is the first time I've thought to myself "I wonder, do I really need to bother with this anymore". It is certainly the first time in my life that I won't buy a Transformers trade paperback, even though I have every other one and the Premium collection (and the 2nd one on order from Amazon).

If you are going to shake it up - make it good. Look at what Abrams did with Star Trek. Obviously there is some problem with circulation or they think they can do better than what they are doing. Better is great. All Hail Megatron is not better. It is significantly worse and by the howls that go on whenever the series is brought up (and of course there is a geek echo chamber, but really, has any other series ticked off as many people as AHM?). IDW can do better than All Hail Megatron.

Tell epic stories where there are consequences. Sure, I love Simon Furman's work and have loved it for more than 20 years - but I also acknowledge that other people can write excellent Transformers stories. Shane McCarthy is not that guy. His abilities as a storyteller do not appear to dovetail well with the epic nature of Transformers stories. Of course he wouldn't have a career in comics if he wasn't good at it. What I'm saying is that he doesn't appear to be a good fit for this particular comic.
Orin_Thomas
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Jeysie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 am

Motto: "Peace, Love, and Rock n' Roll"
Weapon: Dirge Gun
Orin_Thomas wrote:Listening to the interview, it sounds like Chris Ryall had decided that Furman Transformersverse wasn't "good enough" and needed to be shaken up to get more people in. This might have worked, if the "shaking it up" didn't involve such utter rubbish. All Fail Megatron took 12 issues to get us where? A set piece battle in New York? All that mucking about and all the autobots needed to do was hitch a ride on Omega Supreme?

Ironically, the -ations verse is what got me hooked on IDW's TF comics in the first place. I liked that it was the most mature-seeming of the TF continuities I had come across at that point, and put the various elements of the TFverse to intelligent use. On the other hand, if AHM had instead been my first taste of modern TF comics, I would have never bothered getting into it.

What's even more ironic is... they curtailed the -ations just as all of the setup was just about ready to pay off and get exciting. Furthermore, the setup seemed to all be leading into pretty much exactly what AHM's concept was: Decepticons winning and conquering Earth, Autobots down and out, humans forming a resistance. Consider:

The Cons conquering and razing a planet was the entire point of Sixshot, the facsimilies, and the Infiltration Protocols to begin with. There could easily have been a Decepticons-winning premise off that existing structure, especially since the massive presence of Ore-13 was a perfect excuse for the Cons to simply conquer Earth instead of trashing it. Additionally, if they had the Con scientists busy refining the Ore to remove its downsides (instead of on pointless mindless drone army plans), that would have been a perfect excuse as to what advantage gave the Cons the upper hand (instead of the ridiculous ambush thing or the Autobots being brain-dead about security).

Then on the human side there was Skywatch, designed from the get-go to find ways to fight Cybertronians, positioned to be interesting players in any resistance. There was also the Machination, either potentially interesting side-faction, or Skywatch could have discovered them, shut them down, and incorporated their discoveries into their own efforts. (Picture government black ops Headmaster clones fighting against the Decepticons.)

And so on and so forth. Basically, I get the impression that if IDW had kept their eye on the ball, they would have gotten the exact same sort of story AHM was anyway. The difference is that it would have been done far more competently, with more interesting elements that would have grown out of the existing storyline naturally. Instead they screwed it up, and screwed everyone out of the satisfying end being leading up to with all the previous issues. </rant>
Jeysie
Transmetal Warrior
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:46 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I spoke with Chris Ryall at BotCon for a few moments. I had some questions that I really wanted answered, particularly about Verity, Hunter, and Sunstreaker.

This led to some interesting between the lines answers in regards to a few things. From what he said, I inferred that Furman had kind of lost direction himself. I got this from the fact that he told me the plans for Verity and Hunter had pretty much run their course even before AHM (Huge disappointment for me...).

I'm not defending AHM, but I can kind of see how the direction around Devastation had broken down to a degree. I don't think it was unfixable, but editorial decisions to ratchet a storyline down are never easy.

I was also told that Sunstreaker is not beyond redemption, but that it's a story for another day and that his character has to 'stay down' for a time.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Jeysie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 am

Motto: "Peace, Love, and Rock n' Roll"
Weapon: Dirge Gun
Counterpunch wrote:I'm not defending AHM, but I can kind of see how the direction around Devastation had broken down to a degree. I don't think it was unfixable, but editorial decisions to ratchet a storyline down are never easy.

Even if that's true, I still don't see why they couldn't have used all of these interesting existing elements that seemed ready-made to support the change in direction, as opposed to making up all of these other elements that were IMHO more cliche and inferior. I can think of so many ways that the IDWverse as it existed at the end of Devastation could have been used very interestingly without contradicting or throwing out everything that went before - and that bothers me, as I tend to think of myself as a medicocre writer and thus expect the pros to be coming up with way more interesting things than I can.
Jeysie
Transmetal Warrior
Strength: 3
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #41 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 JAN220487 41A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #41 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926E"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #12 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 AUG200537 12B (CA) Roche"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #2 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 APR221598 2RI (CA) Su"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207D"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 2nd ptg Cvr B Jazz Image Comics 2024 0124IM895 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #4 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ESCAPE #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JAN210505 4B (CA) Baumgartner"
TRANSFORMERS ESCAP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #14 Marvel Comics 1986 (W/CA) Budiansky (A) Perlin 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers G2 DECEPTICON DANGER Coloring and Activity Book 1993 230418A"
Transformers G2 DE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #37 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers My Little Pony MAGIC OF CYBERTRON #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 1RIA"
Transformers My Li ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of HOT ROD #1 IDW Comics 2022 MAR220507 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #20 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUL210494 35RI (CA) Gauntt (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 R ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alpha Trion Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON