This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Seibertron.com interviews Arcee bike creator Will Kenefick of RetroSBK

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Seibertron.com interviews Arcee bike creator Will Kenefick of RetroSBK

Postby Skowl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Seibertron.com news crew member (and resident motorcycle enthousiast) Skowl recently spoke with Will Kenefick, the owner of RetroSBK, and the creator of the three Arcee motorbikes (Arcee, Chromia & Flareup) from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen about his experience working on the Transformers movie sequel.

Mr. Keneficks provides some behind-the-scenes details of his experience working with Dreamworks and Michael Bay - and what it was like to have his work become firmly established as part of the Transformers universe. He also reveals that some pieces from one of the bikes will be put up for auction, and the money will go to charity - so stay tuned to seibertron.com for more on that!

Thank you to William Kenefick and his staff for granting us the interview!

Skowl: How long have you been building custom bikes?

RetroSBK: I built my first custom bike at 7 years old with the help of my father, but my first REAL custom bike was named Isabella, in 1996. She was a Ducati Monster 900, and won the Del Mar Concours d’elegance.

Chromia - Suzuki B-King

Skowl: How and when were you approached about working on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen?

RetroSBK: Early in 2008, with a phone call. I spent the first five minutes of the call trying to figure out who was pulling my leg. They had seen my work in a magazine.

Skowl: How much did you know about Transformers beforehand?

RetroSBK: I grew up playing with the Transformers toys and watching the cartoons. Loved them when I was a kid, but when I discovered girls and cars and motorbikes, I think all that went out the window. I hadn’t even seen the first movie, after having been so disappointed with some of the other adaptations from my youth. Needless to say, I watched it, and loved it, the day after my first meeting with Dreamworks.

Skowl: Is this the first time your bikes have been used in a movie?

RetroSBK: No, bikes I have built have been used in other movies and television shows in the past.

Skowl: Does your company have any forthcoming marketing tie-ins that relate to the Transformers film?

RetroSBK: Dreamworks and Michael Bay are extremely protective about the characters in the movie, and rightfully so. We don’t have any direct tie ins with the movie, however they have been very accommodating with any requests we have had. All in all this is a VERY enthusiastic group of people, and they take the TF2 brand very seriously.

Skowl: What information, if any, were you given about the bike characters before you started working on them? Rumour is the bike characters were meant to combine but it was cut from the film, were you told about that?

RetroSBK: I was given pretty much the low down on the bikes and the big plan for them. I cant comment on any rumors about the bikes or what they may or may not do.

Arcee - Ducati 848

Skowl: We know you and your team worked long hours to get the bikes finished on time. How difficult was this project compared to your usual work?

RetroSBK: These bikes are more of a styling exercise, where the normal bikes we build are much more performance oriented. Our last bike was built in 4 weeks for my television series, taking more than 400 man hours to complete. The unique thing for me was these really were the first bikes with such unreal paint, and so much graphic detail. Our painter, Chris Wood, from AirTrix came up with new techniques just to do these bikes.

Skowl: What was your level of involvement in the process? Were you given creative liberties with the look of the motorcycles, or was it strictly a "build this for us" thing?

RetroSBK: We weren’t given any, but we still took some. Having our painter, who is the best in the world, we were able to do things that the guys who work in CGI full time couldn’t believe were possible. Usually the CG is far beyond the ability of the real world, but not in this case.

We did work on other scenes in the movie, supplying many of the bikes in the “Mikes Custom Cycles” scene with Meagan Fox painting the bike. That was another scene where we brought in our painter, Chris Wood, to consult, and he worked the entire day teaching her how to airbrush and setting up the shot. Funny part is that in the “goofs” sections on the IMDB website, it says that the airbrush is being held sideways and wouldn’t work, but it’s a very special airbrush that Chris actually uses, and works on its side, just as he showed her to use.

There were other things we had our hand in as well, and it was a great time, and a great way to express ourselves.

Skowl: How do you feel about the motorbikes being female Transformers?

RetroSBK: Its great! How could you not like a beautiful, fast woman! Even if she is made out fo metal...

Skowl: Were you disappointed by the little amount of screen time your motorcycles had in the movie?

RetroSBK: Actually, I was quite happy with it. Knowing where the movie was shot, and where it takes place, the bikes play a pivotal role in the opening sequence, and have the most beautiful shot in the entire movie, the dolly around the newly introduced characters. That shot really showed just how beautiful the bikes came out. Motorcycles don’t go to well on the desert sand, so I knew the time would be limited, but there is always TF3!

Skowl: We heard Michael Bay say he wanted to kill-off the bike characters because he didn't like them - how did that make you feel?

RetroSBK: I thought it was awesome! I knew how much he liked the bikes, he really went out of his way to tell me how pleased he was with the bikes in person, so I knew he was doing his thing about keeping the fans on their toes.

I got to hang our with Bay, under his canopy in Bethlehem, and it was a great experience. He actually inspired me to direct, and produce, both of which I have started to do in film and television. Despite his reputation, he is a genuine guy, and a perfectionist. Bring him perfection and he is thrilled, anything less doesn’t meet with his approval, and you suffer the wrath of Bay!

Skowl: We've seen plenty of the other new Transformers vehicles (Trax, Beat, Volt, Stingray concept) in car shows and photo ops leading up the film's release - but we never saw the bikes anywhere, why is that?

RetroSBK: We worked VERY hard to keep it that way. The ONLY thing that wasn’t leaked in the movie, the ONLY real surprise was Arcee. It was great! In that part of it, reading the forums, and the speculation about the bikes and some of the plot lines about them was awesome, I loved it. The best part was the huge amount of mis-information that was out there about the bikes. Honestly, they generated such an enormous amount of press pre-release that it made it really hard to hide.

Flareup - MV Augusta F4

Skowl: Do you know how Michael Bay felt about doing action scenes with motorbikes? Bikes can be very dangerous, were you comfortable with the stunt crew pushing your bikes to such limits?

RetroSBK: The real limits that these bikes keep are MUCH higher than the stunt guys can push them to on the set. These are race bred motorcycles, and I have ridden each of them on the track and street, although not THESE bikes. You can go MUCH harder and much faster than the camera can get to do the stunt orient shots. I think Bay was enamored with the bikes from the get go, and wanted to use them more, but the story takes on a life of its own and just grows and grows. So some of the “good stuff” gets trimmed for other “good stuff.”

Skowl: Speaking of pushing the bikes to the limit, we heard about one of the motorcycles crashing while filming in Bethlehem, PA - what happened?

RetroSBK: It was just a simple low speed miscue. No one was hurt, but maybe a bit shaken up. Part of riding is falling down sometimes, and the rider wasn’t quite prepared. Quite a bit of damage was done to the bike, but it was quickly fixed, and we had a backup bike as well. We actually have the crash damaged pieces of the bike, and will be auctioning them off for charity and other fund raisers over the next few months. A good chance to own a bit of the REAL movie and help some great causes, like the Pediatric Brain Tumor foundation.

Skowl: Have you seen any of the Hasbro toys based on your bikes yet? What do you think of them? One of them has a Burger King kids meal toy, what do you think of that?

RetroSBK: I think the toys are awesome! We did use some special race type parts on the bikes, Leo Vince Exhaust, SpeedyMoto triple clamps and race parts, CRG levers, and Pirelli tires. They carried over most of the parts to the toys and the models, which is great to all of us!

Skowl: And finally, who is your favorite Transformers character?

RetroSBK: Arcee of course!
Last edited by Skowl on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Re: Seibertron.com interviews Arcee bike creator Will Kenefick of RetroSBK

Postby Blurrz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
Damn, this interview is amazing. Kudos to Will for doing such a great job! Nice use of the pictures too to keep it interesting!
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Metroplex79 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Skowl wrote:Skowl: We heard Michael Bay say he wanted to kill-off the bike characters because he didn't like them - how did that make you feel?

RetroSBK: I thought it was awesome! I knew how much he liked the bikes, he really went out of his way to tell me how pleased he was with the bikes in person, so I knew he was doing his thing about keeping the fans on their toes.

:???: :???: :???:
Metroplex79
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 6

Postby Solrac333 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:38 am

That's pretty cool.

...So his friend airbrushes like Megan Fox? :|
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Kryptikore » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

Nice enough for him to let himself be interviewed, but all I heard was a salesman mouthing off a bunch of bullcrap! He justs wants himself involved in the next movie for some extra dough!

Finally hit 500!
Kryptikore
Vehicon

Postby Seibertron » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:48 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Kryptikore wrote:Nice enough for him to let himself be interviewed, but all I heard was a salesman mouthing off a bunch of bullcrap! He justs wants himself involved in the next movie for some extra dough!

Is that any different than what anyone else's interest from a company stand point? Hasbro's included?

This guy was pretty damn cool ... I've been talking to him for quite a while now and have had some great email conversations with him.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5

Postby hpfabe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:20 am

Personally, I'm thoroughly disappointed by this.
I've traded a couple emails with him too, and he does come across as a very nice guy.
However, he spent weeks saying that, come midnight of the movie's premier, he would have a ton of info on the bikes on his site, and a ton of merchandise related to the bikes and the movie. Then nothing. No mention of it anywhere again, except for this interview a month and a half later, where he simply says there is no merchandise.
In a number of different places he talked about how rushed they were making the bikes for the movie, what an insane amount of work they put into it, etc.
Then what do we see? New slipons (a couple hours), new levers (15 minutes each), new tires (hour), and EVERYTHING else was paint, which he subcontracts out anyway?
For a guy who has done such impressive work before (check out Robb Report Motorcycling/Ultimate Motorcycling), he really seems to have phone this one in, and, more frustratingly, talked a huge game about these bikes and now is all quiet when it starts to look like theres little more than cosmetic work here.
hpfabe
Minibot

Postby vectorA3 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:17 am

Motto: ""You must journey back farther into the matrix for the answer...""
Weapon: Energo-Sword
i liked this article and all the great pix. Boy this guy has been trained well by Hasbro with all the evasive answers to some of those questions!! :P
"So who needs you spineless plasm-heads anyway?!!" -Astrotrain
vectorA3
Brainmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby Primus1101 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Motto: "Remember when that little girl mistook Ironhide for the tooth fairy? I make that look like fact!"
Meh. Seems like a big ad to me.
Primus1101
Minibot
Watch Primus1101 on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby TulioDude » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Fun guy,must be fun work with transformers. :APPLAUSE:
Silverwing wrote:Also, I feel compelled to give the obligatory: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
One for each year of the Movieverse's decade strong tenure. Here's to a few more explosive years!

Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
TulioDude
Gestalt
News Credits: 6
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Joshua Vallse » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:21 am

Motto: "Build a Giant Robot? Sure it's safe, I mean...it's not like two Stars from a childhood tv show are going to hotwire it and take over the world....right?"
Soooooooooooo..........

This guy mainly has a shop that did the paint work for the Arcee Triplets?
Okay, thats nice.

But yeah, you can totally tell he is either both already spoon fed, or being spoon fed another sure deal for the 3rd film. The movie has been green lit buddy, you can stop puckering now.
ImageImage
CLICK HERE: http://youtu.be/WM394EfR2hk
To see what happens to our two troublemakers. So much for my motto!

Also Visit my website for more artwork:
http://joshuavallse.blogspot.com/
http://www.wix.com/JoshuaBallze/Art-Website/
Joshua Vallse
Headmaster Jr

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHEELIE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2022 New"
WHEELIE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 86-02 Hasbro 2022 New"
KUP Transformers B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT SLUDGE Transformers Studio Series 86-15 Movie Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
DINOBOT SLUDGE Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EXO-SUIT SPIKE WITWICKY Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class 2022 230131A"
EXO-SUIT SPIKE WIT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUNKHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-14 Animated Movie Voyager 2022 New"
JUNKHEAP Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL + RATTRAP Transformers War Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix 2021"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL + R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2023 New"
IRONHIDE Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Alpha Bravo Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON