This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Donald Transformers Review

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Donald Transformers Review

Postby Diem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:38 am

Just got the Disney Label Donald Duck figure and thought I'd share the word with everyone. Like his precursor Mickey-Robo he's a scout-sized figure with a voyager-sized pricetag and has been designed more for display or novelty.

He's got a couple of fun features in robot mode. His snorkel can slide up onto his forehead, and pressing a button on the top of his hat makes his mouth open and close for traditional Donald-style incoherant ranting. The "real" Donald is inside Donald-Robo's head and automatically pops up when the head is turned. Unlike Mickey he comes with an accessory: a surfboard which is rather awesomely styled to look like Donald's body with a yellow beak-like section and a red cross on a blue background. The surfboard (or skateboard, I guess) has a minicon-esque button on it; plugging the board into Donald's foot causes the engine and exhaust pipes to pop up.

The figure itself is fairly hit-and-miss. He boasts only modest articulation (ball-jointed shoulders, rotating neck, waist and ankles, flip-down feet) and suffers from kibble-issues. His car doors are stuck on his arms and his headlight farings are stuck to his legs. Worst of all, his car mode bonnet, roof and boot all end up on his back as kibble. It's not an unforgivable problem since Donald canonically has a lot of junk in the trunk and the silver used for the car parts is the same as the silver used for his hands, face and lower torso (ie. what would be white on the "real" Donald) so the kibble does look kinda like a tail. It restricts his waist movement though. Also his hands are moulded open.

Transformation is way tricker than on Mickey. I would have felt confident that a young child could easily transform Mickey but Donald is nore elaborate. He's something of a shellformer and folding his various little tabs and pegs in. It'll present no problem to anyone who's transformed a movieverse figure or Universe Sunstreaker but it may be worth noting for anyone planning to buy this for kids.

The car mode is very small and neat with a small amount of undercarriage kibble but no other real problems. The driver Donald pops up semi-automatically and is seated in the middle ofvthe car, oddly enough. The surfboards mounts neatly to the top of the vehicle. I like the faction badge on the front

I guess his paint scheme in vehicle mode is one of the big points of contention for most fans. The bonnet, roof and hood appear to be styled after Herbie the Love Bug while the doors and wheel-arches are yellow. I'm not going to go into possible explanations or excuses as to why this is but I think the colours will grow on people. It's not unusual to see real life cars (especially beetles, and especially at the beach) having paint jobs like this.

In summary, it's a cute novelty and a fun if flawed figure but it's up to you whether you can afford to drop that kind of money. The figure is obviously far less TF inspired than Mickey who was more or less half Disney, half Optimus Prime, so it may be harder to justify fitting it into your collections.

Once again, if you have any questions or picture requests please let me know.
Diem
City Commander
News Credits: 217

Re: Donald Transformers Review

Postby Blurrz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 am

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
A shot in vehicle mode, robot mode, and a comparison with Mickey please. Payment in the form of front page news :)
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Diem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 am

Blurrz wrote:A shot in vehicle mode, robot mode, and a comparison with Mickey please. Payment in the form of front page news :)

Can't do the Mickey shot as I'm currently posting from my iPhone. Hope these suffice:
Diem
City Commander

Postby Blurrz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:00 am

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
Thanks buddy. Nice Drossel in the background :P
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Mykltron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:35 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
I thought these things were delux size. Wow, they are so over priced, especially as, after importing, the price would be close to Leader price tag!

I'd have thought if you have Mickey then Donald would be easy to fit into the collection as Mickey acts as a transition.

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby Diem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 am

Mykltron wrote:I thought these things were delux size. Wow, they are so over priced, especially as, after importing, the price would be close to Leader price tag!
They are hilarously pricey. They seem to be selling well though.

I'd have thought if you have Mickey then Donald would be easy to fit into the collection as Mickey acts as a transition.
With Mickey, the transformer-to-Disney ratio is about 1:1. This figure however is far less transformer-y. I think it may be a bridge too far for a lot of fans, especially since the forthcoming Buzz is not transformer-y at all (apart from transforming)

If I had my way Mickey would've come with a keyblade and Donald with a magic wand.
Blurrz wrote:Thanks buddy. Nice Drossel in the background :P
Thanks! If you look carefully you can see Bludgeon stealthily hiding behind some Febreeze. You'll have to look really really hard to see Waldo though.
Diem
City Commander

Postby Mach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 am

Motto: ""I am a Prime. I do not take orders from you!""
I think the little ducky is shorter than Mickey, am i right?
Mach
Gestalt
News Credits: 905
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Diem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:32 am

Real Devastator wrote:I think the little ducky is shorter than Mickey, am i right?

Sure is:

Also:

Transforming:
Diem
City Commander

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Does he come with an alternate "insane angry" face and an axe?

God I think this is the most hilariously badass official TF toy of all time. But freaking hell is he expensive, but damn I want him.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby cannonfodder4000 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Motto: "Dey are fools! and dey will dai, like foods!"
Weapon: Right Laser
DROSSEL! :grin:
cannonfodder4000
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 17
Watch cannonfodder4000 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 1
Endurance: 2
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Dr. Richtofen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Motto: ""Man, I sure wish the Burger Tank was open."
"I could go for a BBQ bacon burger."
"And a large order of fries, and..."
"...an orange soda with no ice, and a..."
"...piece of hot apple pie.""
Weapon: Slingshot
am i the only one hoping for kingdom hearts themed remoldes?
i know it wont happen, but a guy can dream, cant he?
Military: "Bridge, are you immune?"
Coach: "We are NOT infected."
Military: "Negative Bridge, are you IMMUNE? Have you encountered the Infected?"
Coach: "Encountered? Boy, I am covered in zombie blood and puke and eyeballs and twenty other parts I don't even recognize. We are immune as SH-T!"
Dr. Richtofen
Minibot
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby kirbenvost » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Bloody tears wrote:am i the only one hoping for kingdom hearts themed remoldes?
i know it wont happen, but a guy can dream, cant he?

Probably not, but it could be cool. Hah, I was actually brainstorming ideas for more with my girlfriend the other day. How about:

Captain Hook as Megatron (turns into a pirate ship with cannon)
Jafar as Galvatron
Baloo as Grimlock
Stitch as... I dunno, but he'd be cute as a robot, no?
Reflector as Huey, Dewey and Louie?
Gizmoduck as Prowl (best idea ever)

The ideas could go on and on! I actually think this line is pretty cool, as long as they keep the TF references. If not...meh. We're skipping Buzz.

Anyway, nice review Diem, thanks! I've already been commited to buying this guy for my girlfriend for some time, but it's nice to know he's still pretty cool, if a little flawed.
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby icenemesis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Motto: "dude you know what, chill."
Weapon: Electro- Laser
tiny little guy isn't he. i thought he would at least be bigger than a scout class. Pass. still cute though.
wanted: RotF ice cream mudflap head.
icenemesis
Micromaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: ???

Postby Liftgate » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Motto: ""I can fix anything.""
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
Maybe the stripes are homage to Animated Bumblebee?

He sure is tiny though, seeing him next to a G1 combiner really puts his size in perspective. Somehow I thought these guys would be more like Voyager size, their price and proportions fool one into believing that I think. Still want them though, hope they won't be overpriced too badly at Botcon.
Liftgate
Fuzor
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby Mykltron » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:54 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Diem wrote: They are hilarously pricey. They seem to be selling well though.

I'm glad you find it funny!

Diem wrote:I'd have thought if you have Mickey then Donald would be easy to fit into the collection as Mickey acts as a transition.
With Mickey, the transformer-to-Disney ratio is about 1:1. This figure however is far less transformer-y. I think it may be a bridge too far for a lot of fans, especially since the forthcoming Buzz is not transformer-y at all (apart from transforming)

What a great paragraph!

I'm waiting for a Duckman repaint. It's not Disney and I still won't buy it but I think it'd be funny.

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby El Duque » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:00 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Damn, these things are tiny. Never realized they were that small until seeing them posed with those ROTF Scouts.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], lb876, UltOrange

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #47 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2015 47RI (CA)Cahill"
NEW!
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "My Little Pony CLASSICS REIMAGINED LITTLE FILLIES #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 2A"
NEW!
My Little Pony CLA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #72 Cvr C RI 1:10 IDW Comics JUN241204 72C (CA) Fourdraine"
NEW!
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of OPTIMUS PRIME #1 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210461 (CA) Biggie"
NEW!
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #16 Cvr A IDW Comics 2024 JUN241236 16A (CA) Schoening"
NEW!
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs GI JOE #1 Cvr Sub IDW Comics 2014 1SUB (CA) Stokoe 230124"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS vs GI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of BUMBLEBEE #1 IDW Comics 2022 JUL221658 (CA) Biggie"
NEW!
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 (CA) Miller 240731B"
NEW!
Transformers BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv Halloween Special #1 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 AUG231433"
NEW!
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #14 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 JAN220491 14B (CA) Chi"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of MEGATRON #1 IDW Comics 2022 JAN220493 (CA) Biggie"
NEW!
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #15 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220438 15B (CA) Duggan"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs TERMINATOR #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 APR200727 4B (CA) Montfort"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS vs TE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 (CA) Miller 240731D"
NEW!
Transformers BEAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #358 - Size Wars
Twincast / Podcast #358:
"Size Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, September 7th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON