This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Optibotimus Reviews: New 2010 Takara/Tomy Unicron

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Optibotimus Reviews: New 2010 Takara/Tomy Unicron

Postby optibotimus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:09 pm

check out my video reviews @ http://www.youtube.com/optibotimus
optibotimus
Combiner
News Credits: 44

Re: Optibotimus Reviews: New 2010 Takara/Tomy Unicron

Postby El Duque » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Looks so much better that the previous versions! I think I'll keep this version in bot mode, and use his gray planet shell pieces to replace the translucent ones on my Armada version that I keep in planet mode.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby DevastaTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:44 pm

optibotimus wrote:Enjoy guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmaWD9tDUWU

Thanks for letting us know. It's been FP'ed.

Great review-makes me want this figure even more!
Last edited by DevastaTTor on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Postby optibotimus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:51 pm

very very kind of you to say DevastaTTor. I'm glad it came across as well as it did. I'll be honest, i hate reviewing big transformers like this LOL
optibotimus
Combiner

Postby grimdragon2001 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Motto: "Battle is my addiction."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
nice job op. wish i could afford this one. had to choose between him and primus, and since i have the old unicron and not primus, well thats what swayed me. cant wait to see your look at the new primus when it comes out
grimdragon2001
Godmaster
News Credits: 13
Watch grimdragon2001 on YouTube
Buy from grimdragon2001 on eBay

Postby 8 bit » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Motto: "You only live thrice."
Weapon: Buffalo Missile
Great review! Takara really did an excellent job of bringing out the level of detail that exists in this mold.
8 bit
Targetmaster
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby g60force » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Will these ship to any known european (hopefully dutch) store?
g60force
Micromaster
Buy from g60force on eBay

Postby Naked Magnus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Wait...I don't get it. Which version do you like the most? You seem to be ambiguous and beat around the bush concerning which version you like best. Just be direct and tell us which one is your favorite. I cannot tell if you like the Takara version or the Hasbro one better.
Formerly known as "revengeofstarscream"
Naked Magnus
Headmaster Jr

Postby optibotimus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Naked Magnus wrote:Wait...I don't get it. Which version do you like the most? You seem to be ambiguous and beat around the bush concerning which version you like best. Just be direct and tell us which one is your favorite. I cannot tell if you like the Takara version or the Hasbro one better.

Wow...really? I thought my exuberance was fairly obvious, especially when raving about how this new Takara version is the definitive version of Unicron. At any rate, sorry if i didn't come across well enough, but the new Takara version is, IMO the best version. The cartoon accurate color as well as the remolded accuracy of the head push the Universe version to second best.
optibotimus
Combiner

Postby Shadowstream » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
I remain unconvinced. Sorry, but definitive or not I don't like the new version. Nothing against the good old G1 look, but there's something about it that I just can't stand to warrant even so much as considering him. And no offense, but in fact your attitude has turned me off even more.

Everyone else can destroy their income for one of these, but to me it's a wasted effort. So, no.
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Nothing Hasbro does surprises me anymore, their ineptitude is legendary!

Burn wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:It's quite clear they dun dropped the ball, but did they have to drop it so far and so hard?

It's FunPub. It's their specialty.

I'm a killjoy, and proud of it!
don't take that to mean I'm a killjoy just because I can be, though...
Shadowstream
Headmaster

Postby optibotimus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm

My attitude? Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Including your own. I respect that you think it's destroying of ones income...however, if i was worried about money, i obviously wouldn't have bought this figure. Making assumptions like you do, no offense....are insulting. As i said though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I enjoy the figure and lot of people do. If's ok for you not to like it, but really, ya shouldn't belittle people that do want to spend their money on something they like. We can agree to disagree though :)
optibotimus
Combiner

Postby Jazz-1982 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

optibotimus wrote:
Naked Magnus wrote:Wait...I don't get it. Which version do you like the most? You seem to be ambiguous and beat around the bush concerning which version you like best. Just be direct and tell us which one is your favorite. I cannot tell if you like the Takara version or the Hasbro one better.

Wow...really? I thought my exuberance was fairly obvious, especially when raving about how this new Takara version is the definitive version of Unicron. At any rate, sorry if i didn't come across well enough, but the new Takara version is, IMO the best version. The cartoon accurate color as well as the remolded accuracy of the head push the Universe version to second best.

I thought it was as crystal clear as the plastic on the 2010 Unicron's hand which one you like best; Takara Tomy all the way!
I've watched all of the SDCC reviews you did and I've seen you review a few figures on Youtube before but never with such enthusiasm!

I pre-ordered this guy from Toy Hobby Market in Japan and was having a few doubts about whether I should stick with my Energon version but he will now definitely be sold to make space for this bad boy.

I can't imagine how happy I would have been when I was 4 years old after watching Transformers the Movie in 1986 and being able to get such a kick ass Unicron figure if he'd been available back then. Better late than never though!
Formerly known as the Tokyo-Matrix.
Jazz-1982
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby optibotimus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Jazz-1982--Oh trust me...i was excited. I still get excited when i look at my shelf with those figures on em. Terminator and Predator are franchises i grew up loving and as you mentioned with Unicron...better late than never, and i had been waiting for a loooong time for great figures from those lines
optibotimus
Combiner

Postby DISCHARGE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Motto: "AnTagony IS the PitS. MoVe ALonG WoRMs. THis WarS NOT gOnNa WIN iTSelf!"
Weapon: Front-Mounted Anti-Matter Projector
Jazz-1982 wrote:
optibotimus wrote:

I thought it was as crystal clear as the plastic on the 2010 Unicron's hand which one you like best; Takara Tomy all the way!
I've watched all of the SDCC reviews you did and I've seen you review a few figures on Youtube before but never with such enthusiasm!

I pre-ordered this guy from Toy Hobby Market in Japan and was having a few doubts about whether I should stick with my Energon version but he will now definitely be sold to make space for this bad boy.

I can't imagine how happy I would have been when I was 4 years old after watching Transformers the Movie in 1986 and being able to get such a kick ass Unicron figure if he'd been available back then. Better late than never though!

I am always confused when I hear someone is going to get rid of a particular figure when there is a newer version released. As a collector I like having as many versions of a toy that I like, even if I don't display or open them all.
I also thought I read a few years back that the black energon version had a low production run, I very well could be wrong though as I don't remember where I read it.

Wouldn't mind getting this but it's kinda pricey and near pointless to get without completing the set with Primus, which makes it even more pricey.
DISCHARGE
City Commander
Alt Mode: Variable Weapon Interface - Stationary and Mobile
Firepower: 10+

Postby Shadowstream » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
I'm sorry if I came across as rude... to be honest I've always had this thing for going against the popular norm, but I do have specific qualms if I may be permitted to indulge. First of all he suffers from what my brother affectionately calls 'TFCC Counterpunch syndrome'. Not the way that his head is too small, but it just doesn't work with the body at all. To compare, it's like having a bowl of chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream chock full of Reeses candy bits and covered in caramel syrup, topped by a scoop of ordinary vanilla. I realize what they were trying to do here by giving him a good old G1 movie looking head, but comparatively it's just too plain. Which leads into my next problem with him, in that he's overall just too bland. I know he's been panel lined and had his planet mode shell bits made solid color now, but that just makes it worse. His color palette is just too limited, and I just can't see myself backing that.

I know the appeal this thing is supposed to draw in, and while I do respect that I can't help thinking they didn't do nearly well enough. If it had more planet mode paint aps and a more detailed helmet I might reconsider... if they dropped the price by half. As is though I don't believe there's enough right with him to justify investing in.
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Nothing Hasbro does surprises me anymore, their ineptitude is legendary!

Burn wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:It's quite clear they dun dropped the ball, but did they have to drop it so far and so hard?

It's FunPub. It's their specialty.

I'm a killjoy, and proud of it!
don't take that to mean I'm a killjoy just because I can be, though...
Shadowstream
Headmaster

Postby Ravenous Nightwind » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Motto: "By the cloak of darkness I will enter your very sacred of places seen but unnoticeable!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
At first I wasn't sure because I have the armada unicron, yet I lost one of the panels for his planet mode a lonnnng time ago. I had to think about it a few months before I decided to actually get him but eventually I gave in due to the new head and the paint job, plus it will be great to actually have a transforming unicron again. You totally showed a lot of nice points in the paint I wanted to see, I was desperately wanting to see the legs and how they did them. It just makes me tingle because we finally get something almost near accurate. I love how takara just blows our minds. x3

Thanks, optibotimus for all the details. =3
We are so much more then mere machines, intelligent robots who think and feel. Yet, we have fell to greed and destruction by our own causes! From this moment I stand my own ground, on my own faction to achieve true unity! :CON:
Ravenous Nightwind
Fuzor
Watch Ravenous Nightwind on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Naked Magnus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:08 am

optibotimus wrote:

Dude! This was just my dry and sarcastic sense of humor. Yes of course you made it obvious, as you practically stated your preference every other sentence. Sorry for the confusion. I thought my sarcasm would be obvious.
Formerly known as "revengeofstarscream"
Naked Magnus
Headmaster Jr

Postby Jazz-1982 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 am

LOL. Think the reason I didn't detect your sarcasm is because it's Sunday. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.....
Formerly known as the Tokyo-Matrix.
Jazz-1982
Headmaster Jr

Postby decepticon legion » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Motto: "Use your tongue!!!"
That was a cool review! Can't wait to get Unicron, this looks like a great representation of the G1 character.
My titaniums have to go. Check my ebay account (currently selling G1 Rodimus Prime, G1 Scourge and Optimal Optimus...)
decepticon legion
Micromaster
News Credits: 2
Buy from decepticon legion on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10+

Postby HydraLancer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 pm

I mean it looks pretty awesome, but my biggest beef with the figure has to be the lack of a painted orange 'equator' that many have pointed out. You didn't seem to mention it, but for a lot of people it seems like a big negative.

I just think they could have added just a few more varying paint apps. Also, If they were going for the black outlined 'gundam marker' lines I believe they should have done it for most all of the nooks and crannies like the planet surface, rather than the seemingly random spots.

Still thinking about getting it though, never had a Unicron, this may be a good place to start.
HydraLancer
Mini-Con

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB OPTIMUS PRIMAL 20cm Model Kit Rise of Beasts Yolopark 2024"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BREAKAWAY Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Deluxe complete light 2009 240730A"
NEW!
BREAKAWAY Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KICKBACK Transformers The Movie G1 Retro reissue Insecticon Hasbro 2023 New"
KICKBACK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB OPTIMUS PRIME 20cm Model Kit Rise of Beasts Yolopark 2024"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB CHEETOR 18cm Model Kit Rise of Beasts Yolopark 2024 New"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series 86-29 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2024 New"
NEW!
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHRAPNEL Transformers The Movie G1 Retro reissue Insecticon Hasbro 2023 New"
NEW!
SHRAPNEL Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Studio Series 110 Bumblebee Movie Voyager Hasbro 2024 New"
NEW!
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPRINGER Transformers Studio Series 86-30 Movie Leader Hasbro 2024 New 240909"
NEW!
SPRINGER Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB SCOURGE 22cm Model Kit Rise of Beasts Yolopark 2024 New"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Studio Series 113 Bumblebee Movie Voyager Hasbro 2024 New"
NEW!
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR Transformers Studio Series 86-03 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
NEW!
BLURR Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB BUMBLEBEE 16cm Model Kit Rise of the Beasts Yolopark 2024"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMK Transformers ROTB RHINOX 20cm Model Kit Rise of the Beasts Yolopark 2024 New"
NEW!
AMK Transformers R ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #358 - Size Wars
Twincast / Podcast #358:
"Size Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, September 7th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON