This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Andy Schmidt leaves idw!

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Andy Schmidt leaves idw!

Postby Dead Metal » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Bleeding Cool has posted a very interesting and very relevant article, the article tells us that idw Senior Editor, Andy Schmidt, is leaving idw to go and work for Hasbro directly.
He was in charge of comics under licence by Hasbro, Transformers and G.I. Joe, his departure leaves a spot open for a new Editor at idw Publishing. Could you be the next Senior Editor for both Transformers and G.i. Joe comic series?

Click here to read the original article.

For some this comes as good news, while others will miss him, what ever the case with you, his work for the Transformers idw comic surly was an experience.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Re: Andy Schmidt leaves idw!

Postby Dead Metal » Mon May 16, 2011 11:18 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
You know, at first I thought this was good news since then there would be hope for the comics, but then I realised that he'll now be in charge at the source. I guess TF:Prime's going to start to suck now.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Downbeat » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am

Motto: "Can't think and I'm feeling fine."
Weapon: Electro-Disruptor
Slagit. He needs to be removed from the brand, period. Oh, and while I'm posting pipe dreams, let Nick Roche, James Roberts, and Simon Furman run everything.
Downbeat
Minibot
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby paul053 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 am

Wish him luck. Who know what he will be working over there at Hasbro. Straberry shortcake?
paul053
Godmaster
News Credits: 2
Buy from paul053 on eBay

Postby partholon » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am

kinda surprised by this.

yes he **** up the comics by obstinatly following his view of the franchise and foisting costa on us but he made some gutsy decision recently bringing on roberts and getting some nice looking new tallents in the art dept like cahill

heres hoping the replacement will get the books back on course and i think ive the best candidate for em.

furman.

he used to be editor at marvel UK and that didnt suck and if HE insisted on writing the odd issue i know it wouldnt contradict what happend in the continuity.
partholon
Headmaster Jr

Postby Chaoslock » Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 am

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Roche or Furman... IDW Transformers needs one of them to get out from the slag. or Shane Mccarthy...

And while we're at it, doesn't hasbro have a job open for Mike Costa? Anything? (janitor job?)
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
Chaoslock wrote:Roche or Furman... IDW Transformers needs one of them to get out from the slag. or Shane Mccarthy...

And while we're at it, doesn't hasbro have a job open for Mike Costa? Anything? (janitor job?)

Furman is the default, but I'd vote for Nick Roche! Only then he'd probably have less time for drawing… :-(
:CON:
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: Andy Schmidt leavesa idw!

Postby First Gen » Mon May 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Having had the opportunity and pleasure working with Andy, I'd like to congratulate him on his endeavor and wish him ultimate success. He got bashed and verbally assaulted by the fandom for trying to do new things with the characters we all love. Some of us just want the same recycled story over and over. Andy is a great guy, a true transformers fan and a friend.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Re: Andy Schmidt leavesa idw!

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
First Gen wrote:Having had the opportunity and pleasure working with Andy, I'd like to congratulate him on his endeavor and wish him ultimate success. He got bashed and verbally assaulted by the fandom for trying to do new things with the characters we all love. Some of us just want the same recycled story over and over. Andy is a great guy, a true transformers fan and a friend.

Agreed. It's all a matter of personal taste. My hope with him moving on to Hasbro is that once DotM dies down maybe we'll see some of the better IDW character designs as actual toys (like Galvatron and rebuilt Megatron)!
:CON:
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
Strength: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby Downbeat » Mon May 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Motto: "Can't think and I'm feeling fine."
Weapon: Electro-Disruptor
I've just been frustrated with Schmidt because of the mounds of continuity errors that've occurred under his tenure. I do hope he does well with Hasbro, and that whoever replaces him can do a wonderful job.

I'm not going to complain about the actual stories that have came out during his run, because that's on the writers.

(I still want to know more about that Punch/Counterpunch miniseries we were supposed to be getting.)
Downbeat
Minibot
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby YoungPrime » Mon May 16, 2011 3:54 pm

paul053 wrote:Wish him luck. Who know what he will be working over there at Hasbro. Straberry shortcake?

He'll make probably make her and the Purple Pie Man love interest......

Then f**k up the continuity of their first date.
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby JazZeke » Tue May 17, 2011 12:58 am

Motto: "Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
strong attention to detail, strong proofreading, good story sense, ability to meet deadlines and enforce deadlines, good with creators and other such things we will discuss with candidates

None of those qualities held by Schmidt himself, ironically.

I can only hope his position in Hasbro is something with minimal control over the creative aspects of the franchise.
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 10
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Skill: 8

Postby rpetras » Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Well the TF stories may have been pretty weak, but the stuff going on in GI Joe was phenomenal IMO, and one of the main things keeping me in comic collecting.

So any dings I would even think about from the TF books are far, far, far outweighed by the good that was done on the Joe run.

So hopefully he will do well and bring the quality stuff over to the Hasbro side.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
News Credits: 1
Strength: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Tigertrack » Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Andy Schmidt is good in my book. It wasn't perfect, but what is?

Andy is a nice guy, he works hard, and he loves him some TFs. We're just all so absorbed in our own idea of a utopian Tf series that we have a hard time just enjoying what is there. Dreamwave, Marvel, et al., none were perfect.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 5th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM892 (CA) Lindsay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 5th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #35 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231010P"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM321 6C (CA) Arocena"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #61 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Furman (A)Senior (CA) Perlin 210422B"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #3 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Texeira (W) Salicrup 171019F"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #7 Cvr A IDW Comics 2012 7A (CA)Griffith 220709A"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr F 1:25 Image Comics 2023 0823IM291 1F (CA) Chiang (W)Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2019 JUL190687 1B (CA) Roche"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926B"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #3 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 1023IM387 3C (CA) Arocena"
TRANSFORMERS #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0224IM320 8A (A/CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #49 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2A 210411B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #8 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 240317B"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Blaster and Twin Cast (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON