5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 7:16PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 16,974

Thanks to IDW, we have a 5 page preview for the upcoming Transformers #3 comic! The 5 pages that we get to view for the new issue, which is scheduled to be out tomorrow (Wednesday), feature Megatron putting together a new security team for his Ascenticon meetings, which includes Elita-1, Skytread, Refraktor and Quake. We also see a James Roberts' Froid. This shows that there are definitely elements from the previous IDW universe bleeding into this one.

Check it out below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019151)
Posted by Bounti76 on April 16th, 2019 @ 7:22pm CDT
Hope we'll find out why Elita One is a proto-Decepticon....
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019156)
Posted by LE0KING on April 16th, 2019 @ 8:25pm CDT
Wow, in the midst of all the blocks and right angles that make up the siege designs, Froid's Idw curves stand out like a sore thumb.

Sigh, I miss Alex Milne's designs.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019160)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on April 16th, 2019 @ 8:58pm CDT
Here's hoping we get a toy of that Elita 1 design because it looks great
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019164)
Posted by Lore Keeper on April 16th, 2019 @ 9:18pm CDT
Wireless_Phantom wrote:Here's hoping we get a toy of that Elita 1 design because it looks great

Pfft! Here's hoping we get a Froid toy! :-P
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019166)
Posted by william-james88 on April 16th, 2019 @ 9:24pm CDT

looking at her gauntlets and colour scheme, pretty sure this is based on the toy we already have.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019181)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 16th, 2019 @ 10:52pm CDT
Man, this right here makes it even harder to believe that this isn’t somehow tied up with the past IDW stories.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019190)
Posted by Ironhidensh on April 17th, 2019 @ 4:24am CDT
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019191)
Posted by Coptur on April 17th, 2019 @ 5:59am CDT
I actually quite like the art and it's nice to see Reflector ;)

But this looks like its more of the same from IDW so i won't be investing in it. I would've like another company take the reigns on Tranformers.

Happy for others to enjoy it though.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019193)
Posted by ricemazter on April 17th, 2019 @ 6:31am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:Am I the only who is having trouble adapting do the new Siege inspired designs? I'm used to Comic characters having a rather unique look, and seeing them based 9n the current hotline is jarring to me. It actually takes me out of the story.

It really is weird and distracting. Using the toy designs this way creates this uncanny effect that makes each character look the same and indistinct. The problem, I think, is the shoulders and torso mostly. A lot of transformers toys have to have square shoulders and torsos because they're, well, toys. For the art, it makes a lot of the characters have really similar silhouettes. When the art further needs to be less developed in general to compensate for the abridged schedule (lots of shots where characters are colored silhouettes with lines through them), the effect is compounded.

The flashback shots with Quake were the worst offenders because there wasn't any color, removing another way to tell characters apart.

I want to add a caveat to my criticism that this isn't the artist's fault. There are a lot of vistas in this series I quite like. This was a boneheaded decision that happened in the planning process for the book that no one though about enough.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019198)
Posted by Randomhero on April 17th, 2019 @ 8:25am CDT
ricemazter wrote:

It’s a style and nothing new. A lot of colorists do it. Josh Burcham did it through his entire run of MTMTE and Optimus Prime with big group shots and crowds. It dates back to the 60s and before.

Also what backing do you have to your claim that it was a “bonehead decision that happening in the planning process for the book that no one thought through” as you say? It’s the colorist’s style
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019211)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on April 17th, 2019 @ 10:20am CDT
Yeah, I've dropped the book. As others have said, there is nothing new here and throwing in IDW characters like Froid just adds to that issue. Worse than that, it is simply boring in it's predictability.

Moving on...
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019216)
Posted by william-james88 on April 17th, 2019 @ 10:47am CDT
I will admit, I am very close to dropping the book. It's just not doing it for me. It's very dull and just as with Barber's Optimus Prime the pacing is super slow and drains all the fun. Plus, not a fan of the art and ultra heavy outlines against the background.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019228)
Posted by ScottyP on April 17th, 2019 @ 11:39am CDT
Did not have time for a full review yet (later today/tonight, probably) but I'm of two minds on it. The first handful of pages were engaging and the last few with Optimus were the right level of atmospheric/mysterious. Everything in between those wasn't objectively bad, sure, but it was just kinda boring. Boredom ain't good.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019230)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on April 17th, 2019 @ 11:54am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Boredom ain't good.

Indeed. When you are trying to sell a new series, that isn't a feeling you should be giving your audience. Three issues in, G1 had Spider-Man, Infiltration was ramping up to an imminent confrontation, RiD had explosions and intrigue, and even MTMTE had a protracted chase issue with a Sparkeater. This book has an unremarkable off-panel death with zero stakes, largely off-panel protests/riots and far too much exposition dumping.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019231)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on April 17th, 2019 @ 11:54am CDT
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019232)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on April 17th, 2019 @ 11:57am CDT
Stormshot_Prime wrote:Is it me or is OP in this continuity really abrasive and short-tempered? I’m sure that can be chalked up to his pre-prime status but let’s hope they don’t make him too much of an unlikeable hardass.

I thought there were only three characterisations for Prime: Maudlin, God-Bot and hypocritical prick/jerk >:oP
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019233)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on April 17th, 2019 @ 12:00pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Ha. Let’s all pour one out for the one-time they actually did something new with OP’s personality in Animated.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019234)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on April 17th, 2019 @ 12:04pm CDT
Too true.

Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019239)
Posted by ScottyP on April 17th, 2019 @ 12:57pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

I'm a big fan of Cybertron's hybrid God-Bot + loveable youth soccer coach personality. This only applies to the dub, he's just plain stern/boring God-Bot in Galaxy Force.

I keep hoping this Prime will take things seriously while still keeping a lighter side. Maybe the upgrade armor will help if he even gets it.
Re: 5 Page Preview from IDW Transformers #3 featuring Froid (2019255)
Posted by ricemazter on April 17th, 2019 @ 5:30pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
ricemazter wrote:

I apologize, but I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not criticizing the line artist or the colorist, and I agree that taking color away to dramatize flashback scenes is pretty standard.

What I'm calling a "boneheaded decision" is the choice to use toy designs for the character models.

My point in talking about the flashback scene was that, because almost all the characters are designed with square shoulders and box shaped torsos to match the toys, it means that none of the characters in the flashback shot look distinct because they're all the same color. My overall point is that this wouldn't be a problem if the characters had different silhouettes.

My only point here is that using the toy designs for every character was a bad one and it makes the book feel off.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #222 - The Real Ghostbusters
"The Real Ghostbusters"
Posted: Sunday, May 12th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Deluxe Ironhide Sealed NEW - Genuine Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Bruticus missing Vortex w/ Shockwave Legends Gun" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Classics Generations Universe Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Wheelie - RC Truck - Revenge Of The Fallen - Legends Figure" on EBAY
Buy "** 2005 - TRANSFORMERS Cybertron Buzzsaw Deluxe Class - MOSC **" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Blast Off" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG56 Perceptor Robot Figure Toy New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG46 Targetmaster Char Kup Robot Toy Figure" on EBAY