A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer

A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 8:36pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 55,297

An extensive gallery of MakeToys soon to be released Giant figures, Bulldozer and Excavator, have been posted on ACToys. This series of images gives us a look at just about every aspect of these figures, with the exception of their accessories. Will MakeToys' Giant be able to able to take down TFC Toys' Hercules for third-party Devastator dominance? MakeToys has listed the first Giant two-pack, which features the two figures seen here, to start shipping this month. Enjoy the images mirrored below.

Comparison to real world vehicle images.

Credit(s): ACToys

Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329876)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on January 2nd, 2012 @ 8:56pm CST
Loving the abstract look of these guys and sharp edges. It is very FansProject in my opinion. Bonecrusher's butt-shovel is a little odd but I love his head sculpt and visor. Scavenger looks good too.

I like the idea MakeToy had by not incorporating the combined mode's wrist/hand into the individual robot's but I will say the male connector attached to these guys backs looks odd. They didn't have to hide an oversized hand but they really didn't gain much.

Preorders for these up anywhere? Show me some painted combined pictures MakeToy!
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329894)
Posted by Anonymous on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:03pm CST
:lol:

Went from must have to we'll see to finally clearance bin whim.

Passing on:

Botcon
Prime series
Hercules
Yellow Giant
MP V2 Starscream

FansProject, where are you now?!
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329895)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:05pm CST
Selling re-issues. Lol
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329899)
Posted by GetRightRobot on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:13pm CST
There are certainly features of this set I really like. The heads are really cool sculpts, but I think I made the right call to go with Hercules. These guys look very small comparatively and I don't think they are a great deal cheaper. If they go the way of BTS Sonicron, I will be picking them up, but at no more than $60 a pair.

Gotta agree with AMCGrath, looks very Fansproject. Even the arm design are reminiscent of Munitioner.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329900)
Posted by Andrius on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:18pm CST
It's fun to debate whether I'll go with this set or with Hercules, but in the end I know I'm just kidding myself; I'll sell a few organs and end up buying both, no doubt.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329901)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:21pm CST
Scavenger is slightly different than earlier pics. The head has a yellow crest instead of all black:

As much as I like Giant overall more than Hercules, these new pics are kinda making me dislike the bot modes. They sort of seem to have a lot of gaps and such...
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329903)
Posted by Stormrider on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:31pm CST
Shipping next month? Where's the pre-orders?
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329908)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on January 2nd, 2012 @ 10:57pm CST
these look pretty lousy. deluxe scale is disappointing. they seem hollow. really glad i went with Hercules.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329911)
Posted by Rated X on January 2nd, 2012 @ 11:03pm CST
It's not that the robot modes suck, it's just that the TFC robot modes blow them away. This set was really made to be displayed as Devastator. And the Maketoy paint apps...Cmon ??? I hope they are just optional stickers. Maybe some reprolabels sets will come out. Im tempted to pick these guys up for my G2 stuff, but Im thinking clearance $79.99 a set.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329916)
Posted by philtron3030 on January 2nd, 2012 @ 11:14pm CST
imo, the design for this "not devastator" has a lot more finesse than the clunky box looking tfc ver. i mean comparatively, tfc ver. looks like a brick on wheels and the robot modes look stiff and static. the lines and angles on the maketoys version are more appealing and convey movement even when standing still. when deciding which one to pick i think its a matter of size vs. design. hell, ill probably pick up both sets but it is just something to think about. :-B
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329937)
Posted by gema on January 3rd, 2012 @ 2:37am CST
sorry but these just aren't acceptable
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329944)
Posted by Blurrz on January 3rd, 2012 @ 3:40am CST
Not worth it gema?
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329945)
Posted by gema on January 3rd, 2012 @ 4:07am CST
Blurrz wrote:Not worth it gema?

not to THAT extend but having those thing sticking out kinda turned me off, haha
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329947)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on January 3rd, 2012 @ 4:20am CST
Any news yet on when these will be available in green? The colour is all that's stopping me committing. :CON:
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329949)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on January 3rd, 2012 @ 4:44am CST
gema wrote:Image
sorry but these just aren't acceptable

Gema nailed it. This photo is the exact reason i don't want these, the figures just look sloppy from too many angles.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329963)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on January 3rd, 2012 @ 6:11am CST
The two things that Giant has going for him is that the vehicles are looking very realistic, and that the combined mode is a hodgepodge mess like G1 was. However, Hercules has the colors, the bot modes and a sleeker Devastator...

Maybe I should get Giant just to tease a friend of mine who's collecting Hercules :lol:
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1329991)
Posted by DevastaTTor on January 3rd, 2012 @ 8:33am CST
Despite the short-comings of the individual bot modes, I still prefer these because of the more realistic look of the alt modes and beefy look of the Giant gestalt. Waiting for green though.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1330033)
Posted by kirbenvost on January 3rd, 2012 @ 10:31am CST
I still think they look good, but am waiting for the green versions. There's nothing I've seen so far that makes me not want them.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1330061)
Posted by First-Aid on January 3rd, 2012 @ 11:35am CST
Very meh. Definitely glad I went with Hercules instead. If this turns out to be cheap I MAY consider it, but the bot modes just look flimsy.

Another thing of note: it appears that the connection points are ROUND instead of hexagonal like on Hercules and the ROTF Devastator. I would be VERY concerned that the connectors would not be able to hold positioning for posing. THe hexagonal design at least has natural "stopping" points. I believe there is a reason that round combiner joints were never used.
Re: A Closer Look at MakeToys Excavator and Bulldozer (1330078)
Posted by Dre Merc on January 3rd, 2012 @ 12:01pm CST
These are the two that I like the least in the group. They look nice, but not as cool as the other ones imo. Also, what seems to be a lack of waist articulation kinda turns me off. Still,... I'm going to get Green Giant. 8) :CON:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Buy "New Transformers Gernerations Cyber Battalion Series JETFIRE Walgreens Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TRANSFORMERS CYBERTRONIAN VILLAINS SHARKTICONS/STEALTH FORCE HOTROD" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblee includes Coin US Seller" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Topspin Lowes Nascar w/ Armored Topspin's Guns" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Trypticon Action Figure Decepticon City Hasbro/Takara 1986 Works" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Alchemist Prime NIB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Shatter Studio Series #40 Transformers Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Alchemist Prime Power of the Primes 2017 2" Figure w/ Head MISP" on EBAY