Thursday, August 6th, 2020 1:35pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News, Collectables
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 40,332

Thanks to transformers_va, one of our own fellow Seibertronians, we've been directed to Hasbro Pulse, and their latest update on War for Cybertron Unicron!

Transformers fans! We’re excited to bring you an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at packaging and instructions development for Unicron!

We're treated first to a closer look at the packaging and an unboxing video for the Chaos Bringer, showing us just how he'll look when he arrives at the doors of those who backed him via the crowdfunding effort late last year.

Transformers News: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing And Designing The Instructions

We then are taken through the process of designing the instruction booklet for Unicron, which is a whopping 32 pages long! Mark, a Senior Graphic Designer for the project, goes into the details of how instructions are made, and his process of working with the prototype at home to develop the instructions.

Q: Can you walk us through the typical Transformers instructions process?

A: Our development process actually begins a year before our toys hit in-store retail and “online” shelves. Since the early 1980s, Hasbro has partnered with Takara Tomy, located in Japan, for the development of the Transformers brand’s toys. This all starts with “TT,” as we call them, providing us with reference CADD images or videos, called photosteps, that show how to convert each Transformers figure. From there, I review each conversion assembly, step-by-step, marking-up TT’s photo steps with my own comments and recommendations for improvement that will make the most sense for our consumer.

If you needed further proof of the size of Unicron's box, the Brand Manager, Rachel, shows that a six foot tall human can easily fit inside.

And finally, the engineer's best assistant, Charlie, shows us that this box is definitely kitty-approved.

You can read the entire post with its informative Q&A, by clicking on any of the above pictures.

Thanks to Hasbro giving us another thorough update on the process of bringing the largest-ever Transformer to life. He's not due out until January 2021, but that's only 5 short months away! Share your thoughts about this latest update below!

Credit(s): Hasbro Pulse

Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075207)
Posted by Deadput on August 6th, 2020 @ 1:42pm CDT
Awwwww kitty!

11/10 best Transformers figure ever made.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075208)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 6th, 2020 @ 1:52pm CDT
Deadput wrote:Awwwww kitty!

11/10 best Transformers figure ever made.

I had to include those, because wasn't the Internet made for looking at cat pictures and arguing with strangers?
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075210)
Posted by Regimus Prime on August 6th, 2020 @ 1:54pm CDT
To say that I AM SO EXCITED would be an absolute understatement. This announcement and video made this quarantine situation a little more bearable. I needed this update. So happy that I backed this. It's so much bigger outside of seeing it in a convention hall setting. I now have to rethink my initial display plans. :BOT:
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075213)
Posted by blackeyedprime on August 6th, 2020 @ 2:20pm CDT
I think the cat is third party -it has the right amount of abs :P
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075216)
Posted by Deadput on August 6th, 2020 @ 2:42pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:
Deadput wrote:Awwwww kitty!

11/10 best Transformers figure ever made.

Indeed, cat pictures never fail to make me happy and then incredibly sad because cats are not immortal
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075217)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 6th, 2020 @ 2:55pm CDT
Deadput wrote:
Bounti76 wrote:
Deadput wrote:Awwwww kitty!

11/10 best Transformers figure ever made.

My own cat is almost 17, and believe me you....I feel that. Long story short, I don't feel super sad, because I savor every moment I have with him. That's a lesson he's taught me since he adopted me.

Back to Unicron.... I've always wondered how instructions were made... this was a cool update.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075219)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 6th, 2020 @ 3:20pm CDT
32 page instruction manual and it takes this guy an hour to transform him.... wow.

This is mega involved in every way possible. and that box is huge!
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075223)
Posted by Emerje on August 6th, 2020 @ 3:56pm CDT

Emerje
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075233)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 6th, 2020 @ 4:38pm CDT
Emerje wrote:Well that confirms one fear. Not only is it not getting a cool full color box, but the cardboard box is the shipping box. Not that the box is going to be a great display piece given it's size, but I'm keeping the box and would rather it didn't have labels, stamps, marker, dirt and dents all over it. Even Selects figures don't ship in their cardboard packaging.

Emerje

I don't recall it saying anywhere that the cardboard box would be the only box. It's possible that it'll be shipped inside a plain mailer. Printing a box that big in full color would probably have been prohibitively expensive.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075239)
Posted by YRQRM0 on August 6th, 2020 @ 5:44pm CDT

Emerje

Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075247)
Posted by Sowndwave76 on August 6th, 2020 @ 7:06pm CDT
YRQRM0 wrote:Personally I like the cardboard boxes for this and the generations selects figures lately. I know that plastic toys aren't exactly great for the environment to begin with, but if it minimizes waste at all I think it's nice. We still have in-store packages which will look nice as long as they're sold in stores.

This is a really good point. One that I definitely appreciate hearing in the realm of plastic toys.

No way was I going to be able to justify buying this figure, but it looks incredibly good...
I don't know how you properly display such a giant, but maybe it's a good problem?
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075266)
Posted by Emerje on August 6th, 2020 @ 11:06pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:

Emerje

Directly under the video for the box it says "This shipper box includes “a really big piece of foam” to ensure Unicron arrives in perfect condition." so that's definitely the only box. Meanwhile Jabba's sail barge got these massive boxes.

s-l300.jpg

frame-000000.jpg

Doesn't really have the same premium feel does it?

Emerje
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075354)
Posted by Regimus Prime on August 7th, 2020 @ 10:10pm CDT
Just some thoughts on this latest update:

Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075409)
Posted by stereolab54 on August 8th, 2020 @ 8:29pm CDT
Getting to the party late so apologies upfront for any dumb questions.

Will it be possible to purchase Unicron once production is in full swing or did I completely miss the boat by not backing or pre-ordering by 10/6/2019? I'd like to purchase but not sure if I can at this point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075410)
Posted by Flashwave on August 8th, 2020 @ 9:13pm CDT

*this color would have been accurate to the unreleased 86 Unicron, but its not movie accurate
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075416)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 8th, 2020 @ 11:01pm CDT
Flashwave wrote:Is it that we are seeing screenshots on a screen, or has the NEON MARGARINE YELLOW* from the initial been matted down? I know the ring is a different color now but even the spiky bits and the main figure don't look quite as bright.
Now that you mention it, the color that they call "yellow" in the unboxing video does look more correctly orange in both said video and the new images.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075489)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 9th, 2020 @ 9:07pm CDT
stereolab54 wrote:Getting to the party late so apologies upfront for any dumb questions.

Thanks!

You're probably out of luck my dude. At least, that's how it's been for all these Haslab projects after the deadline.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075495)
Posted by Flashwave on August 9th, 2020 @ 9:54pm CDT

Thanks!

Unicron is being made strictly to order. Your only bet is gonna be secondary market at extreme markup.
Re: Haslab Unicron Update #3- Packaging and Unboxing, And Designing The Instructions (2075505)
Posted by -WonkoTheSane- on August 9th, 2020 @ 10:53pm CDT
Sowndwave76 wrote:

Obviously, The answer to this is to buy an entire new shelf, Devoted solely to Unicron, Stick it in an empty corner (Also now devoted to Unicron) And eagerly await January 2021, While also sacrificing (at least) one, Full mortgage payment to The Chaos Bringer, Unicron.
Obviously.
:lol: At least, That's what I did.
Seriously though, I really wish Haslab had found a way to lower the price of the figure, Maybe even shrunk it a little (Maybe even enough to lower the cost to make it feasible to sell at general retail) so that everybody that wanted one could afford to own one. Not everybody wants to go through the trouble of having a kidney surgically removed to sell on the black market taking out a loan just to be able to afford the darn thing.
I personally thought about backing it for three weeks before I did. The way I looked at it, There was no other character I would've been willing to spend that much money on, And also no other figure I'd want to be that large. Also, I've really, Really always wanted a Unicron. Other than the many repaints of the Armada Unicron mold, There were really no other (transforming) options for Unicron. Honestly, I think the Armada mold holds up pretty well, All things considered, But something always seemed slightly off about it to me, Which is what stopped me from buying it each time I'd considered it over the years.
But the Haslab one.. Just ticked all the right boxes.
I honestly tried the hardest I could over those three weeks, Trying my darndest to find at least one flaw in the figure that I couldn't live with (I didn't).
Now that I've typed this all out, I really don't know where I was going with it, I guess just how I justified it.
I just wish more people who wanted it would've been able to afford it (Or alternatively, It been cheaper so even the people who could afford it, But couldn't justify the price, Would've been able to get it.)
Oh well.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #259 - Podcast Convoy
"Podcast Convoy"
Posted: Sunday, September 13th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Master Piece Movie Series Mpm-7 Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series MPM-7 Bumblebee Robot Figure New 2018" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series MPM-6 Ironhide" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS TITANS RETURN FORTRESS MAXIMUS INCOMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Whirl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations AUTOBOT SPRINGER War for Cybertron: Siege WFC-S38" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return CHROMEDOME and STYLOR LOOSE MINT COMPLETE" on EBAY