iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

Monday, July 10th, 2017 12:32am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,229

Via iTunes, we have the first fully lettered preview for the upcoming new Hasbro Universe crossover event Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor - with art by Alex Milne, written by John Barber - featuring the first Cybertronian in the Solstar order: Stardrive! Check it out below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Meet the universe's only Cybertronian Solstar Knight! Hundreds of years ago, Rom discovered Stardrive, the sole survivor of a doomed space probe. Stardrive committed herself to protecting the galaxy from the Dire Wraiths... but when the Decepticon called Starscream makes a deadly deal, Rom and the Transformers are forced into a collision course... with Stardrive caught between two worlds!

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895464)
Posted by Nexus Knight on July 10th, 2017 @ 12:40am CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895469)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 1:19am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:Okay, now I want to see a galactic map showing the different space governments in the Hasbro Universe and their relation to each other.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895478)
Posted by BumbleDouche on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:14am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

Where'd that image come from? I don't recall any TF books with a galactic map...
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895479)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:16am CDT
BumbleDouche wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Ani ... Almanac_II
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895485)
Posted by Kurona on July 10th, 2017 @ 6:41am CDT

So do I. If there's any one thing the Hasbro universe has done right - though imo it's done more than a few things right - it's the fantastic worldbuilding. And already this book is looking to expand on that! :D
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895493)
Posted by Randomhero on July 10th, 2017 @ 7:40am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
BumbleDouche wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Ani ... Almanac_II

That's the animated continuity not the IDW-verse
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895498)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 7:49am CDT

Also, the request above didn't ask for an IDW map, but just a map in general.

Voila.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895517)
Posted by Randomhero on July 10th, 2017 @ 10:02am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:Arguably, it's ANY continuity. The book is written from a multiversal POV, with the Animated universe/art style used for effect/stability.

Also, the request above didn't ask for an IDW map, but just a map in general.

Voila.

It's not it's the animated universe. And they did. They wanted the Hasbro Universe which is also the IDW-verse
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895523)
Posted by BumbleDouche on July 10th, 2017 @ 10:21am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
BumbleDouche wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Ani ... Almanac_II

Ah, thanks. That'll be why I never saw it - I never much got into the Animated side of things...
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1895631)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 3:50pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

Also, the request above didn't ask for an IDW map, but just a map in general.

Voila.

Not really. The "Hasbro Universe" can be interpreted as any universe linked to Hasbro's IP and/or the Transformers Universe to be specific. The map used in the Animated book is not even specificity Animated, due to it having non-TF planets, such as Skarro (home world of the Daleks), etc. It's there to show potential for any Galaxy in the multiverse.

Anyway, you should get the compendium of both books, regardless of liking Animated or not.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896185)
Posted by Va'al on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:40am CDT
The back matter of this week's issue of IDW Publishing's Optimus Prime #9 - review coming soon, so keep an eye out for that - includes an interview with the three creators behind Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor: writers John Barber and Christos Gage, and artist Alex Milne (who will be joined by Josh Perez on colours)! We've copied below what the three have to say to support the book and new character Stardrive - check it out!

John, Christos—does this series mark the first time that Rom and the Transformers meet? We
saw them together in IDW’s Revolution event, but this story is set 200 years in the past!

CNG: Yes, this is the first time Rom has met a Transformer. As we begin the miniseries, the Solstar Order and the Cybertronians are aware of each other's existence, but until this story they have
stayed in their own territories. But the end of the Wraith War—which led to the Dire Wraiths fleeing throughout the universe—has changed things!

JB: It's also the first time the Dire Wraiths meet the Decepticons. We've never seen what happens when a Wraith takes over a Cybertronian body before... and the results aren't pretty.

Stardrive is a unique character for a crossover like this—a Transformer that’s also part of the Solstar Order. How does this conflict affect her personality?

CNG: The interesting thing about Stardrive is that she has never met another Transformer before this miniseries. She has only been given the Solstar Order's take on them: that Cybertronians are destructive machine monsters that rampage through world destroying organic life. She's told that
she's "better" because she was raised differently, but it's unmistakable that she's been brought up to feel there's something wrong with her. Now, for the first time, she's actually meeting beings of her own species—and they're from opposite factions, so she's more torn and confused than ever!

JB: Stardrive's been an outsider her whole life, and when she meets other Cybertronians, she doesn't expect to feel even more alone. She's not part of their war; she doesn't want to be destructive
like they've actually become.

Working with Alex Milne on this—did you approach it any differently than previous projects? Were the scripts very specific or did you give him a lot of leeway on the art?

CNG: We worked plot-first and I think it was the right approach. John told me Alex loves to add detail, and boy, does he! We'd give him a four-panel page and he'd turn it into a nine-panel page chock-full of aliens (all different species) and sci-fi tech. I love it! I grew up on George Perez so Alex's stuff is right up my alley!

JB: Alex had an amazing run on More Than Meets the Eye for so many years, where he started out as a fantastic artist and only got better. I'd seen a lot of his sketches and his conceptual work as that
series went on, so I definitely wanted to make sure he had the opportunity to design this series—new worlds, new characters, new aliens, new space ships. It's not even just a visual thing—Alex thinks this stuff through from top to bottom, and that definitely shows through in the comic.

Alex, your art on this story is just on another level—crazy amounts of detail and panel-heavy layouts! Can you tell us a bit about how you approached the art for this project?

AM: The script for the book is written in a plot style—it leaves me with a lot of options on how to approach it. Unlike past scripts I've worked on that have had full dialogue and descriptions for the
panels, here it's all up to me, so I'm not worrying about trying to fit a lot of different actions into one panel. It's a very interesting creative freedom I feel working on this book. It pushes me to try different things and to see what I can come up with not just in the art but in the storytelling as well. It's a nice change for me!

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896209)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:15am CDT

-LL is just okay but clearly losing its luster making characters like Cyclonus and Tailgate into Melrose Place couples.

TAAO was just starting to get better but who cares since they're still cancelled it.

By the end of this year I might not be reading anything by IDW if this greedy cluelessness for creating more random books continues.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896214)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:31am CDT
YoungPrime wrote:Okay, how do they expect us to take these crossovers and spinoffs seriously when many of us are barely hanging on to what's going with the status of Ongoing Transformer books on their own????!

OP is barely affected at all by the nature of the Hasbroverse. Revolution hasn't directly caused any effects in its ongoing story, the extent of other franchises in the book goes as far as an in-universe re-branding (literally just calling EDC GI Joe and having GI Joe stickers on some of the military vehicles; the GI Joe team itself mostly consisting of IDW Transformers-original characters), and the story itself is one of if not the best handling of the relationship between Cybertronians and Humans ever done. It continues to be as interesting as it was before Revolution if not more if you don't dismiss it for the expanded Hasbro universe which has little to no bearing on Optimus Prime as a book itself.

Lost Light, admittedly, is in a bit of a rough spot right now. Dissolution was a very odd and polarising storyline that was not as good at hiding Roberts' writing flaws as pretty much any of his previous work -- it's easily been the worst storyline of MTMTE/LL aside from Dark Cybertron even if there's still a fair few elements to like about it.

TAAO is still incredible whether or not it's being cancelled. I don't even understand the mentality of dismissing it as a narrative storyline because it's being cancelled. I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here. TAAO is amazing no matter its real-world business status -- its real-world business status, by the way, includes getting a conclusion which the writer has stated is unfolding in the way she wants it to. Its cancellation simply means that she's not writing stories she didn't want to beyond the one ongoing right now.

And even if this wasn't all true; even if TAAO and OP weren't incredible, even if there wasn't any hope for LL... I fail to see what this has to do with Shining Armour? It's its own little side story based a few centuries ago as its own individual narrative with a fair bit of worldbuilding and - most importantly - is completely non-intrusive to the current ongoing comics. If you were reading Optimus Prime or Micronauts or GI Joe (though god help you if you were reading GI Joe), you don't need to pause this to read it or stick it in the middle of your reading list. Much like Drift: Empire of Stone, it's just extra context and extra stories that aren't necessary to continue reading an already ongoing story. Hell, it's less intrusive than Drift: Empire of Stone since that took place sometime during the last quarter of MTMTE!
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896225)
Posted by Nexus Knight on July 12th, 2017 @ 11:42am CDT
Kurona wrote:I really don't get dismissing this comic for the reasons you've stated. I don't want to come off as a an overly-obsessive and defensive fangirl, but I simply don't understand where you're coming from.

If I were to venture a guess to your query, it would probably be the apparently lack of interest the other books from other readers. Revolution has left a bad taste in readers mouths, so fans of one book could see this as "aw, man, my character is going to do ANOTHER pointless crossover". Sure, that still feels like poor logic, especially since, as you've mentioned, the book only does the heinous crime of building the universe! :-P ...but in seriousness, it's the logic I made use of I was on the negative side of the issue.

Kurona wrote:

I love building a fictional universe. I do a lot of writing (not TF stories) with my brother, and I think I do more to enhance his universe than he does.

Maybe a map will be put of one of the upcoming Sourcebooks? :PRAY:
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896228)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 11:49am CDT
Va'al wrote:

Okay, this sounds awesome. I don't read these books primarily for action, but I very happily welcome a huge, well-done fighting scene if it's gonna be like this.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896269)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 12th, 2017 @ 1:55pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

Well you are.
I made my issues with these crossovers and the ongoing TF books clear.
G.I.Joe has been in at almost every episode of OP so far and I just don't care about its overall premise. Maybe the 2 upcoming stories about "Galvatron The Barbarian" will be a breath of fresh air but then it's back to Autobots catering to stupid humans and lame "villains of the week" plots. If so then I'll pass!!!

And I didn't say that I don't care that TAAO was just starting to get good I was stating that IDW doesn't seem to care that many of us have acknowledged it's improvement. The sarcasm wasn't that hard to follow.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896274)
Posted by ScottyP on July 12th, 2017 @ 2:23pm CDT
GI Joe presence in the Optimus Prime comic so far:

• Spike, who has been present in TF comics since 2009. Does very little except argue with Talon and make token appearances with a small group of Joes in 2-5 and 8.
  • Talon, who was around in All Hail Optimus piloting one of the Chinese TF mech suit things. Argues with Spike a little, reflects on the TF involvement on Earth, and has the same issue appearances as Spike plus a tiny quick showing in 6.
  • Hi-Tech, who is Dr. Bharwaney from the Costa ongoing/Bumblebee mini series. With the same small group as Spike and Talon.
  • Mainframe, a "real" GI Joe character that has about the same appearance count and lack of importance here as Hi-Tech.
  • Flint, a GI Joe that's been related to a Transformers character since the G1 cartoon. Quickly departs after showing up in issue 2, talks to his daughter during issues 3 and 4 (longtime IDW TF supporting character Marissa Fairborne), then barely shows up in 6 and 8.
  • Chameleon, who just sorta follows Flint around.

Additionally, two of the series' issues to date feature 0 "GI Joe" presence: 1 and 9. Issue 7 has Flint only for a very short time. Maybe only a panel or two? In issue 8, they are barely present save a small appearance at the end which isn't remotely a focus point for the issue.

Look, I'm not saying "you have to conform and like the current direction of IDW", but I do think talking down about the Optimus Prime series because GI Joe is present is a weak premise.

In other news, I'm really pumped for this Rom v TF series. Salty Galactic Council alien dudes are usually indicative of a good time elsewhere :)
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896276)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 12th, 2017 @ 2:53pm CDT

Good thing that wasn't my only issue with OP if I needed consent to drop it.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896300)
Posted by Va'al on July 12th, 2017 @ 5:40pm CDT
YoungPrime wrote:
Kurona wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:-OP is just a lame crossover gateway to G.I.Joe and other crap most don't care about with OP kissing the butt humans every episode while his Autobots continue to grow doubt for him (still haven't felt the need to buy issue #6).

Well you are.
I made my issues with these crossovers and the ongoing TF books clear.

Your ..tone is entirely hard to follow, unless you meant to just be complaining - in which case carry on.

GI Joe being there (with the same people who were there all along, just new names) and not doing anything is not the only problem, ok. So.. is it the kissing butt? Does that include forcefully annexing a whole planet (that's colonising/invading), setting up two colonies, kill off some more people because why the heck not, and start another war (arriving in First Strike)? If so, I'm sorry for the butts you ever kiss.

As for Shining Armor - eh, I'm whelmed so far, but will be interested to see what they do.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor (1896314)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:11pm CDT
Stardrive is a precious baby and I love her.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON PIN BY TOM WHALEN MONDO 2019 SDCC COMIC CON EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "transformers metroplex sdcc titan class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "POO SHAM; Transformers BotBots 2018, Toilet Troop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Trailbreaker Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots: Meet High Tide [Passport to Reading]" on EBAY