Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019

Transformers News: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019

Thursday, February 22nd, 2018 4:58AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Rumors
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 36,401

A scanned image from the latest issue of Figure King magazine - mirrored below via Planet Iacon and thanks to a tip from fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath - shows us something the magazine themselves call a 'scoop': what appears to be a new version, or at least an 'update' to the Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime (supposedly the MP10 version, at this stage), for the 35th anniversary of the franchise in 2019.

In the image below, we can see differences in the shoulder and ab grill compared to the previous figure, of which we've also included an image below for comparison. Check it out, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub discussion!

Coming to Transformers 35th Anniversary.

There's new design plan reveal Masterpiece Optimus Prime, shoulder and core pack are updated and new. Is there a possibility of seeing MP Optimus Prime 3.0?

We will update you for further details.

Credit(s): Figure King

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941420)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on February 22nd, 2018 @ 5:29am CST
What am I missing with the abs/torso? Looks like they took out one set of panels... not sure I like that. Squaring the arms in the shoulder I do approve of.... not sure I'm prepared to drop another $120 on centered biceps though.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941421)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on February 22nd, 2018 @ 5:31am CST
Ah... on second glance they're squaring the grill and removing the molded detail from the windows MP10+ animated edition -___-. Where's my final battle Prime/Megs with battle damage (granted megs has the optional parts).
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941425)
Posted by Cyberpath on February 22nd, 2018 @ 6:57am CST
The reason why I picked up MP-10 years ago was his cartoon-accuracy. (And why I have continued to buy Masterpiece.) Out of all the toys available (and unavailable) MP-10 was the most show-accurate Optimus Prime. If Takara can make a brand new mold that's even more accurate then of course I'll get it!

If this this is indeed Convoy v3 it's probably done to make him even more compatible with MP-36 Megatron in terms of likeness to the animated character as well as pushing the articulation further. (And this character sells nicely, no?)
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941426)
Posted by Emerje on February 22nd, 2018 @ 6:58am CST

Can't wait!

Emerje
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941432)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 7:24am CST
Lame - if true, instant pass >:oP
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941433)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 22nd, 2018 @ 7:32am CST
Meh. Gonna get Supreme Leader instead.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941435)
Posted by Cyberpath on February 22nd, 2018 @ 7:41am CST
Emerje wrote:Well then, that confirms a new animated style Optimus Prime that we've been theorizing for a few years. The stacks coming down to his elbows gives it away for sure.

[...]

Can't wait!

Emerje

That's also a toy-accurate thing. ;) But yeah, it definitely has Sunbow esthetics.

If this is for real, then I hope that for his head/face sculpt Takara would use the specific TOEI Animation art-style from episodes such as --

Autobot Spike / The Immobilizer / Day of the Machines / The Quest for Survival / Dinobot Island, part 2 / etc.

It's what I wanted for an MP Megatron and I got it. :)

I'm most looking forward to having a Prime figure that can finally store all his wheels. It would be neat if they take inspiration from the transformation sequence from Dinobot Island, part 2...

It features a similar mechanism to MP-22' boots (one panel has "truck wheels" the other "robot" wheels -- Prime would have one of them with zero wheels.)

Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941437)
Posted by Rated X on February 22nd, 2018 @ 7:42am CST
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941438)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 7:48am CST
Rated X wrote:Petty ass changes. Who cares about the smoke stacks enough to drop another $150 ??? Stop milking the cartoon accurate cow with petty changes. (like this recent wave of MP repaints with all spark blue painted windows) Get to work on some real MP stuff like doing Blitzwing, Astrotrain, and Reflecto, then blow us all away with an MP Devastator. At least you can actually finish the season 1-2 Decepticons without worrying about licensing. Do it !!!

It looks like they're shrinking his abdomen, from a rectangular grill to a square one, that would likely mean it's an entirely new mold, but I agree with the sentiment
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941442)
Posted by Relic0037 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 8:19am CST
I am happy with the MP10 & MP10B I already have. It would take a major upgrade for me to purchase another Masterpiece Optimus. I'm not even sure if a battle damage option would be enough to get me to take the plunge. Hopefully, Takara is working on some other characters like Blaster, Jazz, Hound, etc, to help round out that G1 Masterpiece Autobot team, but I understand that Op is one of the most popular bots in the franchise, so he will probably be getting new figures every so often because they will sell.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941462)
Posted by shocksound96 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 10:31am CST
just when i get MP10 there are talks of a new masterpiece prime, It's the xbox one all over again.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941466)
Posted by Black Hat on February 22nd, 2018 @ 10:46am CST
Oh for goodness' sake, really Takara? MP-10 is basically perfect. It looks gorgeous from every angle, poses well and transforms nicely. If newer MPs are anything to go by an MP Prime 3.0 is going to be less Masterpiece and more Disasterpiece.

The problem is, of course, that somewhere along the line Takara must have forgotten where their brains were and changed the MP mission statement from "The best possible toys of the characters" to "MAKE IT EXACTLY LIKE THE ON-SCREEN DEPICTION". Hence the move from idealized, more detailed designs to literal interpretations of the bland character models, chronic overengineering, and really weird choices like using grey instead of silver and making changes to the decos of perfectly good figures that make their vehicle modes less accurate.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941476)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on February 22nd, 2018 @ 11:16am CST
I'm excited. While I do think MP-10 is a great figure, he isn't perfect. But I was expecting a 3P to try to improve it rather than Takara themselves! :lol: While I probably won't be able to get Prime 3.0 (or Megs 2.0) for awhile for financial reasons, I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941477)
Posted by NTESHFT on February 22nd, 2018 @ 11:17am CST
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941527)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 22nd, 2018 @ 2:13pm CST
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941535)
Posted by Relic0037 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 2:27pm CST
NTESHFT wrote:If this is true, I'm gonna swoop him up. My MP 10 I have now has an issue.....in bot mode, his chest wont close all the way up. It's got something to do with the bumper/ matrix holder. It will close up in truck mode though.

I have a similar issue. My MP-10's chest closes almost all of the way, but doesn't quite stay shut. My 10B Nemesis Prime doesn't seem to have that problem. I don't keep a Matrix in the chest of either one, so that has nothing to do with it.

Despite all this, I probably won't get a new version of Optimus, unless Takara can do something to blow me away:
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941536)
Posted by Relic0037 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 2:31pm CST
Mindmaster wrote:I’m fine with MP-10. If they’re revisiting previous characters, I’d rather see a better Rodimus Prime than a cartoon-accurate Optimus.

Agreed. Now that we got a Masterpiece that is just Hot Rod, it would be nice for them to go back & redo Rodimus without having to force in that extra mode.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941595)
Posted by shajaki on February 22nd, 2018 @ 4:40pm CST

What I don't get is how people can look at MP-10 and not see that it can't be improved upon. He is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but imagine if he were even better. More cartoon styled (to fit with 36), better posability, and maybe a better looking truck mode? Why not?

And to those who are happy with their MP-10's, don't buy it. Won't hurt you none.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941611)
Posted by Black Hat on February 22nd, 2018 @ 5:15pm CST
I suppose my problem is that MP-36 is, to me at least, a GIGANTIC step backwards. Over-engineered, hideous from any angle other than straight on, riddled with ugly panel lines yet devoid of any actual interesting detail, prone to paint scratching at best and outright breakage at worst, has a DELIBERATELY BADLY DRAWN DECEPTICON SYMBOL, doesn't fit in well with Hasui-era MPs and costs an absolute fortune for what he is. Inferno had similar problems, albeit less extreme (though he looked extremely bland thanks to his obsessive cartoon accuracy) and Sunstreaker actually looks even worse (not to mention is farcically expensive for an MP car). Like, rather than remaking the perfectly good pre-shift MP line, wouldn't it have made more sense to make the rest of the MPs in line with the original vision of the line to begin with?

MP-10 could maybe be improved on a bit, but let's be real, the 3.0 won't be an improvement. It'll be lacking detail, be over-complicated, look hideously ugly from any angle other than straight on, take the cartoon literalism way too far, give him dull grey instead of silver, have badly drawn Autobot insignias and will cost a fortune. And that's assuming it doesn't break.
Re: Possible New Version Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime in 2019 (1941615)
Posted by Relic0037 on February 22nd, 2018 @ 5:45pm CST
shajaki wrote:I'm not shocked or distraught over this, it was an eventuality. Though I wouldn't have bet so soon.

I think some of the fans that have responded negatively on this forum would rather have Takara devote their resources to giving us new figures featuring new characters (Jazz, Hound, Blaster, etc) or revisit Masterpieces that were really terrible like Rodimus Prime, rather than redoing characters like Optimus that came out pretty good the first time.

I'm not sure that any Masterpiece has been 100% percent perfect, but many of them were close enough. I really like my Soundwave, but I don't like the fact that his index fingers love to pop off & some cassettes seem to get jammed up inside his chest. These problems aren't enough to make me want to purchase a new version of him.

The best reason for these new versions of previously visited bots is for fans new to the Masterpiece line to have more options. Hopefully, that doesn't come at the cost of other Transformers that the fans have had on their wish lists for years.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #216 - Prime Galaxy
"Prime Galaxy"
Posted: Sunday, January 27th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Bot Shots Barricade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return TR Astrotrain 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Bumblebee & Blazemaster NIP" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Hasbro Generations 30th Universe Deluxe Voyager BLITZWING Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage Transformers ASTROTRAIN Gen 1 with box and accessories G1 Hasbro 1985" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Voyager Class Brainstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Blurr w/cardback and instructions" on EBAY