Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

Saturday, November 26th, 2016 2:07PM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 70,999

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

Last time, we looked at toys that were annoying to transform regardless of whether they were complex or not. But now we are looking at difficulty all around and not just annoyance at a step. For this list, I tried to pick toys that had a good balance of difficulty in terms of complexity (number of steps) and difficulty in terms of frustration (like panels not fitting properly or parts being either too tight or fiddly). It has to be a combination though. In the end these are the toys that take me a while to transform without instructions after a few months of not playing with them.

5. Transformers Robots In Disguise Side Burn

RID gave us some very interesting designs for car transformers we had not seen yet. Especially for the three brother Prowl, X-Brawn and Sideburn who were asymmetrical and wore their car shells on one their arm. Of the three, Sideburn was by far the most difficult. The fact that the design is asymmetric makes it hard to visualize how he should fold onto himself and transform. It is also a very tight fit getting everything into the car. Magnificent car mode though.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Optimus Prime

This guy is symmetrical and though he has a ton of steps, the next move from truck to robot can be anticipated. It is actually a great joy to undo panels and have this figure totally morph in front of your eyes. The big problem is getting him back into truck mode. The nose segment gets infinitely tricky since several panels have to come together at once including two chest panels that just won't stay put. And at the same time you have his swinging swords that keep popping up, it gets really involved. And if you forget to fold down those pieces above his shoulders, then you will have to fiddle for another 10 minutes to redo what you just did.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

3. Transformers Masterpiece Megatron (MP-05)

Transforming MP Megatron is a long and arduous process. He isn't as complicated as others say because his transformation is logical and you can tell what goes where. However some pieces and panels are very small and his waist is extremely fragile that you have to take your time transforming him. And all the while, other sections can require an enormous amount of force which is quite counterintuitive and frightening considering the cost of this toy. I do absolutely love him though, since both modes look awesome to me and give me a very rewarding feeling. Also, he wins the award for being the only TF I know who is as difficult and takes as long when transforming from alt mode to robot as robot to alt mode (which is usually far more difficult in comparison).

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mixmaster

This is such a complicated toy. Getting the arms oriented the right way for either mode can take a while and the feet pieces won’t stop popping off every time you touch them. The robot doesn’t have logical proportions so there’s no rhyme or reason helping you figure out if what you are doing is correct of if you’ll have to double back to swivel the waist the other way. And getting him back to truck mode is super tricky since everything ends up being really tight and flush. That’s great news for the truck mode but it means that certain steps must be done in parallel and all come together at the same time. It’s ROTF Leader Optimus all over again but in a smaller scale and with a lot more parts at stake (oh and with the top of the cab popping off at the same time).

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Alternators Grimlock

This is the one TF that I can never remember how to transform correctly. Especially back to alt mode. Almost all alternators were complicated and complex and featured some unintuitive transformation steps, usually with their waists or arms. Like all the alternators, forgetting a step or doing it wrong can cause severe misalignment in alt mode. And the instructions don’t help. It’s sometimes just a matter of positioning and that can’t be conveyed precisely in the instructions. Since the day I got Alternators Grimlock (I actually got the Binaltech version), I would transform him to robot, then back to car but not completely. I would have the hood section still lingering unfinished due to arms seemingly impossible to position correctly for everything to fit. Then comes the trial and error, flipping the arms inside out, turning them the other way making them face another direction. It really feels like a Rubiks cube, and takes as long if not longer (for me at least). And then after a fever dream, I just happen to have the arms in the only possible way they can fit and everything locks together flush. I never know how I do it. This is by far the TF that takes me longest to transform, instructions or not.
Transformers News: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys

Honourable Mentions: I hear MP 09 Rodimus was pretty hard but I never got a chance to transform him.

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843475)
Posted by Burn on November 26th, 2016 @ 2:16pm CST
I'd put Mixmaster to #1. Grimlock isn't THAT hard as long as you pop the doors off (they generally do that themselves anyway!) and are aware of his triple pointed hips.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843486)
Posted by Z3ROhour on November 26th, 2016 @ 3:15pm CST
i feel u missed one that is possibly the worst i've dealt with:

Transformers
ROTF

JETFIRE

not only is he a finicky piece of work
but
the combo mode
with
OPTIMUS PRIME
can be a real brain buster!

the end result is beautiful

but at what cost?
i ask ya!
AT WHAT COST?!

:-(
:BANG_HEAD:
:DANCE:
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843487)
Posted by william-james88 on November 26th, 2016 @ 3:21pm CST
Z3ROhour wrote:i feel u missed one that is possibly the worst i've dealt with:

Transformers
ROTF

JETFIRE

not only is he a finicky piece of work
but
the combo mode
with
OPTIMUS PRIME
can be a real brain buster!

the end result is beautiful

but at what cost?
i ask ya!
AT WHAT COST?!

:-(
:BANG_HEAD:
:DANCE:

He was covered last time when we were looking at toys that were more annoying than anything else (the link is in the article above at the beginning). And he certainly fits the bill, as you mentioned. Since he isnt really complex or anything, just frustrating and annoying, I felt he was better left in that list and limiting repetition as much as possible.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843488)
Posted by dragons on November 26th, 2016 @ 3:39pm CST
Revenge of fallen leader jet fire and Star Wars Death Star Darth Vader is would an another to add to list
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843489)
Posted by thedistinctroom on November 26th, 2016 @ 3:49pm CST
Alternators Grimlock is easy pee-z compared to MP Megatron. Ahh, well..
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843490)
Posted by Emerje on November 26th, 2016 @ 3:53pm CST

I don't it doesn't technically count as a transformation, but the Transformers Go! Autobot combiners are all ridiculously difficult to combine. They're the only Transformers in my collection that I need the instructions handy for. Now that I think about it, Optimus ExPrime is a pretty tough figure to transform in his own right.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843494)
Posted by frogbat on November 26th, 2016 @ 4:45pm CST
War for cybertron Optimus prime and generations galvatron come to mind, quite tricky which I think is due to them being small
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843495)
Posted by Black Hat on November 26th, 2016 @ 4:58pm CST
RID Side Burn is definitely one finicky 'bot. I struggled to transform him as a kid...but I worked it out eventually! He's one of my favourite car formers and I hope I can get his brothers some day.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843497)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on November 26th, 2016 @ 5:07pm CST
I found the Dark of the Moon Leader Sentinel Prime figure very difficult to transform to his alternate mode. Lining up the sides of the fire truck can take literally hours, which is why his side right panel peg with the "316" broke off on my figure the first time I transformed it.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843505)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 26th, 2016 @ 7:51pm CST

Glad I got rid of that beautiful but oh so frustrating thing. :lol:
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843506)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 26th, 2016 @ 7:56pm CST
Emerje wrote:I find the Alternators Mirage/Hot Rod mold to the most tedious of the line. Especially trying to line up the chest just right so it pops out, I think most people just give up and lay it flat.
Emerje

I have Alternator Hot Rod and I never had any problems to transform him. In fact I find it one of the most easy and enjoyable to transform.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843507)
Posted by Ultra Markus on November 26th, 2016 @ 8:41pm CST
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843511)
Posted by TulioDude on November 26th, 2016 @ 10:14pm CST
How could ROTF Mudflap be absent from this kind of list?Then again,he would be featured in many lists.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843512)
Posted by william-james88 on November 26th, 2016 @ 10:23pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:D'ohoho! Will you sucker! Enjoying that Binaltech Grimlock I traded you some years ago I see. :evil:

Glad I got rid of that beautiful but oh so frustrating thing. :lol:

It was still a great deal. I dont regret the money I spent. I really wanted to experience a Binaltech version and I wanted to experience that mold so it was win win. And he is beautiful and a great example of embodying a character in a different alt mode. I just hate his arms.

Ultra Markus wrote:what about RID Megatron /Galvatron 10 modes and i have had heard some of my friends couldnt figure it out let alone their kids figuring it out

I never found him that hard, even when I first got him back when I was 13. When a toy has so many modes they are all just a few steps away from one another another.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843517)
Posted by Deathsaurus1 on November 26th, 2016 @ 11:34pm CST
WHAT MP-5 IS FUN TO TRANSFORM [-(
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843526)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on November 27th, 2016 @ 1:52am CST
Sideburn being difficult is a joke right? Hes one of the easiest figures out there. The only part that i can think of as being "difficult" is positioning the right arm, the wheel gets stuck a bit but nothing that could be considered difficult. Sideburn was the first figure i bought when the RiD line came out and i didnt have any problems with him.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843532)
Posted by Gingko on November 27th, 2016 @ 5:56am CST
Concerning mix master, arms are weird, and pannels are too easy to pop out, but the legs are the worst ! Arg ! :BANG_HEAD:

Pannels keep pop out as you said, but the worst of the worst, for me at least, is the way legs and torso fold up in the vehicule mode. It's seem I always put the torso the wrong way at first.

Bot form is weird, but a kinda cool weird. Like "insectoïd" weird.

I like it, after all, why space bots should look like human in proportion ? But it is another debate.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843533)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 27th, 2016 @ 6:13am CST

First time I got ROTF Mixmaster, I transformed it back and forth without instructions. I was in for a ride! But when I'm finally done for a mode, it's very rewarding and satisfying.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843534)
Posted by Black Hat on November 27th, 2016 @ 6:17am CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:ALL of the ROTF constructicons are hard as fawk to transform. But you know what? I like them because they are their own things. Not only the transformation is complicated, but the "non-human" bot modes make for a real challenge. Especially without instructions. Because you just can't expect the final form.

The ROTF Constructicons are actually some of my favourite movie designs, Long Haul especially. I need to get that guy, he looks pretty awesome. Even poor old Demolishor is a surprisingly fun toy, and the transformation is genius, and deceptively simple. I should really dig him out of storage.
Re: Top 5 Most Difficult Transformers Toys (1843537)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 27th, 2016 @ 6:23am CST
Black Hat wrote:

Try to buy him now! Longhaul is pretty awesome. And you have the choice between the original ROTF green or the HFTD yellow versions. [strike]And it's pretty cheap[/strike].

Sigh... Don't bother with Ebay.

Ending Soon On eBay

Megan Fox Sexy Transformers Autographed Signed 8x10 Photo JSA COA #5 - Time Remaining: 1 day 7 hours 27 minutes 26 seconds
Megan Fox Sexy Transformers Autographed Signed 8x10 Photo JSA COA #6 - Time Remaining: 1 day 7 hours 27 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron Foc deluxe Jazz lot - Time Remaining: 2 days 8 hours 32 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron Foc deluxe Starscream - Time Remaining: 1 day 18 hours 34 minutes 4 seconds
TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS LEGENDS LG 45 HOT ROD HEAD MASTER ACTION FIGURE - Time Remaining: 14 days 4 hours 36 minutes 14 seconds
TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS LEGENDS LG 46 KUP HEAD MASTER ACTION FIGURE - Time Remaining: 7 days 2 hours 41 minutes 4 seconds
Transformers Takara G15 Beast Hunters Deluxe Bulkhead - Time Remaining: 4 days 3 hours 45 minutes 38 seconds
Transformers  Prime Beast Hunters Ratchet Complete - Time Remaining: 4 days 2 hours 47 minutes 21 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent