Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend

Transformers News: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend

Tuesday, December 25th, 2018 4:55PM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 14,847

The Transformers Bumblebee Movie has opened into Third Place on its opening weekend, coming behind Disneys Mary Poppins Returns in Second place and Warner Bros Aquaman in First. This news comes to us from Business Insider Website. The Bumblebee Movie has made 21 Million Dollars this past weekend, the lowest opening of any Transformers movie so far, including the last Michael Bay directed movie, The Last Knight. However, Mary Poppins Returns is only marginally ahead on 22.2 Million Dollars. Its still possible for Bumblebee to take a respectful Second behind Aquaman which has gained a lead to the tune of 72.1 Million Dollars. In terms of audience opinion however, Bumblebee is well ahead of the competition as it current sits on a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatos compared to Mary Poppins Returns (Which sits on 77%) and Aquaman (Which has the lowest of the three with a 64% Rating).

Also unlike the other two movies, Bumblebee has a smaller budget to make back as well, costing Paramount just 138 Million Dollars(not including marketing) to make. This means that Bumblebee could make its cost back and more. Compare this with The Last Knights which had a budget of 217 Million Dollars yet failed to make that domestically, and had to rely on foreign screenings to get that initial budget back.

Are you looking forward to this movie? Have you already seen it? Then let us know in the Energon Pub, and click here to discuss the film with others in spoiler filled content, and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews.
Credit(s): Business Insider, Rotten Tomatoes, Box Office Mojo
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2000992)
Posted by Skritz on December 25th, 2018 @ 7:18pm CST
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2000999)
Posted by RiddlerJ on December 25th, 2018 @ 8:16pm CST
Skritz wrote:As I expected, the one which seem to be the best one yet by a wide margin (haven't seen it yet)...is sadly most likely suffering from franchise fatigue and people not wanting to see it after getting tired of five boring and terrible movies. I expect it to be the last Transformers movie. >:oP

For now maybe, but Hollywood reboots everything after a while. What version of Batman are we on now?

Hell, it's behind a sequel to a movie that came out in 1964.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001001)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on December 25th, 2018 @ 8:57pm CST
RiddlerJ wrote:

Hell, it's behind a sequel to a movie that came out in 1964.

we also already know they were planning a reboot of transformers in 2022-2023. I agree, fatigue is a possibility. but most people I knew either wanted to see aquaman or marry poppins too, and aren't keen on seeing more then 1 movie in a given week. my family all chose marry poppins (I feel it should be the one getting the lower score on rotten tomatoes, not aquaman), while all my friends saw Aquaman, because its showtimes were earlier. I still have high hopes for bumblebee though, because hasbro needs to see this formula works, so they can get rid of the previous transformers movie checklist and move forward into good movies.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001015)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 26th, 2018 @ 1:47am CST
Immortal Starscream wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:

Hell, it's behind a sequel to a movie that came out in 1964.

. I agree, fatigue is a possibility. but most people I knew either wanted to see aquaman or marry poppins too, and aren't keen on seeing more then 1 movie in a given week. my family all chose marry poppins, while all my friends saw Aquaman, because its showtimes were earlier.

I think honestly that's the most important point about the bumblebee movie. Currently it's a critical darling, from professionals, armchair critics, and long time TF fans; the issue is those are people who would have seen it anyway. Critics will see it because that's their profession or hobby and the latter applies to fans. Aquaman and Mary Poppins are "safe" movies comparatively speaking. The average movie goer is sandwiched between three movies this December considering theres no Star Wars to scare the studios from releasing anything for a month. Marry Poppins is a big lavish flamboyant Disney Family film for the whole family, Aquaman is a big budget superhero movie that also has a broad market appeal for both hardcore comic fans and general audiences. Bumblebee is left as an odd child out all things considered. Not exactly squeaky clean family fun or a "Mature comic book movie". If anything I'm willing to say if bumblebee stays at a solid 3rd place that might still be a win for paramount, and theres a good chance that bumblebees going to be a sleeper hit that blows up with home video.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001021)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 26th, 2018 @ 3:03am CST
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001041)
Posted by Emerje on December 26th, 2018 @ 6:55am CST

Emerje
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001044)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 26th, 2018 @ 7:00am CST
Emerje wrote:I wonder if they're kicking themselves for not sticking with their original release plan and just gone up against the abysmal Solo movie?

Emerje

Ah the beauty of hindsight :lol: If it did, I'd be watching the Blu-Ray now! I think Bee will see a lot of home sales, I wonder how the toyline is faring :-?
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001052)
Posted by dragons on December 26th, 2018 @ 8:25am CST

If that’s true explain comic book marvel movies always become successful Spider-Man had many reboots Spider-Man homecoming and Spider-Man into verse was number one at Time franchise fatiague has nothing do with it maybe old fans on these sites should try something talk to new transformer fans my cousin like it but he expected more action he does not watch cartoons he does read comics but he does like transformers movies yeah prime in end in his truck mode look very cartoony I never saw red semi truck in my life driving on road but movie was good talk to new fans you be surprise what answer you get from somebody do so
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001059)
Posted by Deadput on December 26th, 2018 @ 9:27am CST
dragons wrote:

Well Transformers isn't Spider man.

I fully expect Spider man alone to out live Transformers for a good while and that's not getting to the rest of Marvel or even DC.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001061)
Posted by firefox91 on December 26th, 2018 @ 9:35am CST

Emerje

Abysmal? Solo made 4x more than Bumblebee on it's opening weekend. It's highly unlikely that Bee would have done better having been released against Solo over Aquaman. It's unfortunate that Bee is doing so poorly. It's a really good movie, better than any of the other Transformers movies IMO. It just seems like these spin off movies from major franchisees don't do well. Marvel and DC movies aren't really spin offs as their entire structure has been to do movies about individual characters then bring them together and a big movie. Solo and Bee were already part of the big movies and were separated from that universe to tell a smaller story. It's too bad because I really liked both of these movies.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001064)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 26th, 2018 @ 9:40am CST
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001106)
Posted by william-james88 on December 26th, 2018 @ 12:27pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Would Fantastic Beasts be seen as a spin off? I'm trying to think of cinematic examples to compare. I'll leave Rogue One to the side as Star Wars is a massive entity which warps the proceedings a bit.

Fantastic beasts is a perfect comparison to Bee, both are spin offs happening before the main series.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001109)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on December 26th, 2018 @ 12:34pm CST

Aquaman was probably the best of them. It was a lot of fun.
Bumbleebee was great. I wish we'd gotten something closer to this in the beginning. Easily the best of the Live action movies.
Mary Poppins, a bit of a disappointment. I wont go into details of story, but lets just say, none of the songs are memorable.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001110)
Posted by william-james88 on December 26th, 2018 @ 12:36pm CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:I saw all three movies this weekend, which for someone who usually sees one a month at best, is saying something.

Aquaman was probably the best of them. It was a lot of fun.

Did you watch Into the Spiderverse?
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001123)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on December 26th, 2018 @ 2:35pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Aquaman was probably the best of them. It was a lot of fun.

Did you watch Into the Spiderverse?

I saw it last weekend. I really enjoyed it. I didn't like the jerky feel to the animation, but otherwise I enjoyed the story.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001173)
Posted by 15ngcs1 on December 26th, 2018 @ 10:44pm CST
Into the Spiderverse was a lot of fun! Definitely Oscar worthy.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001184)
Posted by Barricade.it on December 27th, 2018 @ 1:58am CST
I've watched it this evening and I think it's an excellent movie, the way all Tf Movies should've been. Great action but in a different and more coherent way than the Bayhem; good characters; no sex sex sex humour and no robots saying bad words;a clean thing.

I've liked also Blitzwing and his short (but crucial) appearance: TLK was a mess of robots completely useless for the plot (and for the brand: many of those have never had a toy, maybe We'll see something in the lame Studio Series line)

And tons of eighties nostalgia, pure ecstasy for a 44yo like me :D

Maybe it's a bit too teenage oriented but the movie works right. I just hope they'll not loose this tune because this is the best.

A very good movie, the second in my personal ranking after DOTM even though it's such a different product from the previous movies that it should be must correct to give it a place of its own.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001202)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on December 27th, 2018 @ 7:09am CST
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001212)
Posted by 1984forever on December 27th, 2018 @ 9:07am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Don't forget that these figures for Bumblebee are domestic only, it still has other places to open...like China, which is where Aquaman got a huge boost.

I heard that a lot of moviegoers in China passed on TLK because it didn’t have enough of Optimus Prime in it. Not at all surprised at the low numbers here, but I am very interested in seeing what it does overseas.
Re: Transformers Bumblebee Opens in Third Place in Opening Weekend (2001223)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 27th, 2018 @ 9:40am CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:What was great about the fights in Bumblebee, you could tell the robots apart while fighting. In all the the bay movies, with their similar looks to all, you couldn't really tell what was going on.

See I never had this problem with the other movies.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #215 - New Year, New Toys
"New Year, New Toys"
Posted: Sunday, January 13th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Prime RID Robots in Disguise Deluxe Airachnid MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers United UN22 G2 Laser Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G2 HOOLIGAN SKYJACK SPACE CASE MISSILE PART 1995 CYBERJETS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse 1 Step Changer Soundwave Action Figure. Age 6+. NEW" on EBAY
Buy "FRENZY Transformers G2 Spy Changers Spychanger - Go-Bots 1995 100% complete" on EBAY
Buy "TransFormers DOTM Cyberverse Autobot POWERGLIDE action figure, Japanese version" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro G2 Transformers Autobots Dreadwing Figure 1993 Vintage Generation 2 Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Original G2 Cyberjets Air Raid MOSC Sealed" on EBAY