Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again

Transformers News: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again

Saturday, November 5th, 2016 9:43PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collectables, Auctions
Posted by: Bronzewolf   Views: 41,086

Seibertronians, you got $20,000+ currently burning a hole in your pocket? Well, we might have the buy for you. It turns out another unreleased G2 Stunticon prototype set has hit the ebays, with the bid currently sitting just over $1,000 USD at time of writing, although if the previous listings for the set are any indication, this combiner team can easily fetch 20 times that. That previous indication, of course, being when a different G2 Menasor prototype sold for over $26,000 USD. This will be one to watch, as this set is more complete than the former, so it could garner even higher numbers.

Did you bid? Did you win?! Let us know in the comments below!
Credit(s): Mike Mackey

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839335)
Posted by Mkall on November 5th, 2016 @ 10:27pm CDT

Hard to say if it'll do better or worse than the last, and it's my understanding the previous one's buyer suffered remorse and asked for a refund from the seller, claiming it was mis-advertised.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839342)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 5th, 2016 @ 10:53pm CDT
Mkall wrote:Honestly, I think the previous one was more complete. That one had all the paint apps and individual robot/vehicle accessories, missing only Menasor's head. This one is missing alot of those bits, missing a bunch of vehicle-mode paint apps, but comes with a G1 Menasor head to make it look more complete and a decent story behind it though.

Really? Did the buyer get the refund? I'm really curious as to how many of these are out there.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839343)
Posted by Ultra Markus on November 5th, 2016 @ 11:08pm CDT
yeah sure if 20000 was a drop in the bucket i would be going after every other rare figure also
that being price is not an issue
but seriously is it really as rare as a vinyl caped jawa or bobo fett prototype with working missile launcher currently worth 150000
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839355)
Posted by Mkall on November 6th, 2016 @ 12:20am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Dunno actually, I saw the story play out on TFW where the buyer bought it as it was advertised as a nearly one of a kind holy grail type item, only afterwards to be notified by the 'really really high end collectors' that we TF fans barely know exist and was told that in their circles the G2 prototypes aren't that rare, and there were a few that were actually complete. I don't recall if the buyer said if he got his refund.

Still, these things are pretty neat to look at when they surface.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839369)
Posted by roboticplanet on November 6th, 2016 @ 1:47am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Rumor was cash or protos were offered to make amends. Regardless, about a year later the buyer resold it, http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574891718&toolid=10001&campid=5336631220&customid=transformers&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F301678256100
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839375)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 6th, 2016 @ 3:33am CST
It hurts my eyes! :lol:
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839413)
Posted by leokearon on November 6th, 2016 @ 11:27am CST
I think, I'll stick with my CW G2 Menasor it didn't cost me as much and I can play with it
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839415)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on November 6th, 2016 @ 11:40am CST
Got my combiner wars version for $30. I'm good :-D
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839426)
Posted by Black Hat on November 6th, 2016 @ 12:41pm CST
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was bootlegging these things and cranking them out to sell for stupid amounts of money. Bloody knockoff merchants mutter mutter.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839486)
Posted by Bronzewolf on November 6th, 2016 @ 8:43pm CST
And we're over $2,000. A lot slower than I would have thought.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839527)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 7th, 2016 @ 12:57am CST
Mkall wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Still, these things are pretty neat to look at when they surface.

It's funny you mention those collectors. I always hear stories about them here and there but like you said, they don't make themselves known. I wonder if they're ashamed of the rest of us.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839566)
Posted by ScottyP on November 7th, 2016 @ 9:31am CST

I heard rumor this past Botcon that there are a couple dozen more-or-less complete ones being hoarded and slowly trickled out. That feels a little too tin-foil hat for me, but I'd still caution folks against thinking these are as scarce as once believed.

Super rare, yes, but I think it's closer to the Lucky Draw realm quantity wise than the "once in a lifetime" one.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839569)
Posted by ScottyP on November 7th, 2016 @ 9:37am CST
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Double posting easier on mobile than editing and pasting in another quote, sorry for this in advance.

Anyhow, the couple of folks I've met that can afford to be at the true high end of collecting Transformers are often too busy making the money that allows them to make that part of their lifestyle to be super actively involved with the fan community at large.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839691)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 7th, 2016 @ 9:46pm CST
ScottyP wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

That's a possibility, or they're part of the secret Transformers Illuminate that controls everything Fandom wise.
ScottyP wrote:(What follows is speculation and rumor, not thinly veiled fact presented as such.)

That sounds like what some collectors do in the retro video game community. They buy up all the copies of rare games to control the price.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1839734)
Posted by RAR on November 8th, 2016 @ 3:07am CST
I like both rare minicons and rare minibots but I've been able to trip over both over the years without having to pay much for them.

It's not something I want to pay hundreds for though. It's nice to have somethings that some people didn't even know existed though.

But just because something is rare doesn't mean it's desirable that is often the case with some test shots that ebay seller simply can not get rid of for years on end even after repeated reductions in price.

-----

I used to collect Prototypes but the availability got much rarer once the manufacturing moved away from china so I sort of moved over to KO's instead.

And frankly there is some KO's that are every bit as exciting quirky or interesting as legit samples are. In fact several of my grail items are KO's such as the repainted KO G1 Scorponok for example.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1840094)
Posted by Bounti76 on November 10th, 2016 @ 12:15am CST

I still wonder why I've never seen a G2 Defensor up for auction on eBay. I've been back into collecting for almost a decade and have seen less than a handful of individual G2 Protectobots up for auction.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1840096)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 10th, 2016 @ 2:03am CST
Bounti76 wrote:Only ended up going for $10,700. Almost a full $10,000 less than the last set seen. I think the difference was that the previous set had stickers applied, and was bagged.

Probably has to do with what Scotty said, there's more G2 Stunticons out there than we first thought.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1840318)
Posted by Bounti76 on November 10th, 2016 @ 4:09pm CST
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

There may very well be many more G2 Stunticon sets than first thought. But that still doesn't explain my main question: Why are the G2 Protectobots so rare as to be almost nonexistent? I've seen a G2 Blades or two, a G2 Streetwise or two, and one G2 Groove, and that's IT. Never a G2 Hot Spot or G2 First Aid up. And never as a complete set.

My secondary questions are: Would Hasbro ever reissue/produce the G2 Stunticons and Protectobots in G2 colors? And beast combiners aside, we have gotten EVERY single G1 combiner ever released and then some (G2 Menasor and Liokaiser) in Combiner Wars, so why not G2 Defensor? Not even a PEEP about him ever being planned or thought about.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1840601)
Posted by RAR on November 11th, 2016 @ 2:40pm CST
I think they might be holding back G2 Defensor for later for some reason.
Perhaps as a Comic show exclusive or to sell at their new convention.

Though there is the issue of what to do about Rook/groove that may have had them thinking it wasn't worth the grief over people complaining about not getting something they think they should be it a Rook & Chest Plate Groove or getting Deluxe Groove then not getting the chest plate.

Personally I'd rather have G2 Rook & Legends Groove and then get the Groove G2 Deluxe later in a vs pack of some kind.

Perhaps G2 Groove vs G2 Off Road.
Also G2 Alpha Bravo Vs G2 Shuttle Blast Off.
Re: Unreleased G2 Menasor Prototype Listed On Ebay Again (1840701)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 12th, 2016 @ 1:46am CST
Bounti76 wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

The Stunticons were probably further along so more prototypes were made, or people liked cars more. I feel G2 Defensor will not happen due to the fact most stores can't give away their G2 box sets.

Ending Soon On eBay

Takara Transformers Galaxy Force Cybertron GD-02 THUNDERCRACKER MISB New Sealed - Time Remaining: 21 days 16 hours 25 minutes 11 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Universe AUTOBOT AMBUSH ROADBUSTER & DIRGE Target Excl MISB - Time Remaining: 18 days 16 hours 24 minutes 46 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Armada DARK SABER and STAR SABER Role Play Swords MISB New - Time Remaining: 18 days 10 hours 25 minutes 9 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Robots in Disguise RID DREADWIND & SMOKEJUMPER MISB New - Time Remaining: 17 days 22 hours 25 minutes 2 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Robots in Disguise Mega Optimus Prime 2-in-1 Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 25 minutes 45 seconds
2006 Transformers RID Megatron Voyager Class Gun Figure - Time Remaining: 4 days 17 hours 26 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers Armada Megatron leader - 1 Minicon - Time Remaining: 6 days 5 hours 29 minutes 22 seconds
Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Jazz from Ultimate Gift Set Hasbro 2012 - Time Remaining: 22 days 13 hours 31 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent