IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Kyleor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
Z3ROhour wrote:WTFIUWTA!?

:-x

WHAT THE FRAGGLE IS UP WITH THE ART?!

Are they insane?
Are they kidding?
Is this really what they are going with?
Is it an experiment?
Are 5 year olds all that is left for artists?
Is the world ending?
Did the Rapture take all the artists, because artist are the chosen people of the big 8-} in the sky?
Am i still here?
Is this a joke?

the art... is... is BAD!
just terrible.

the cover with Leader-1 was... ok...
but

WTFIUWTA!?
:HEADHURTS:
:DANCE:
:rodimusstar: :rodimusstarhalf:


There is a quality problem with many comic artists/writers, but you now get labeled a 'hater of women' or 'alt-right basement troll' by the fanboys of those artists/writers if you dare to point that out, or even suggest it.

Maybe they'll work up to a more modern or better style as the series goes on?
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Combiner
Posts: 435
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Z3ROhour » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:13 am

Motto: ""I WILL CUDDLE YOUR SOUL!!""
Weapon: Black Magic
ZeroWolf wrote:It's basically recreating the art style of the early days, and was used to great effect in the Transformers vs GI Joe miniseries. It's not to some people's tastes but each to their own.

:SICK:
zodconvoy wrote:"DOES HE NOT HAVE FEET TO STOMP?!?!?
NOR TEETH TO GNASH!?!?
A DINOBOT IS NEVER WITHOUT HIS WEAPONS!"

Image
Latest FIGS (08/18-09/18): CB SHOCKWAVE! Cyberverse STARSCREAM. POTP REPUGNUS, INFERNO, MOONRACER, CINDERSAUR, CUTTHROAT, SINNERTWIN, OUTBACK, SLUDGE, SNARL, BLACKWING, BEACHCOMBER & WINDCHARGER. MMC FORTIS, TALON, TYRANTRON (IDW MEGATRON) Planet X CHARON (FALLEN). MAKETOYS BLINDFIRE! TLK COGMAN!! Studio GRIMLOCK, STARSCREAM & LOCKDOWN! KFC MUGAN SCOPE (PERCEPTOR!).
User avatar
Z3ROhour
Gestalt
Posts: 2472
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: right behind you...
Buy from Z3ROhour on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Bat to Starfighter Triplechanger
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 1
Endurance: 5
Rank: N/A
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 am

I initially wasn't keen on it [the art style], it's hard to follow, when I first read Transformers vs. GI Joe. Although I quickly got into it through it's unique angle of visual storytelling. It looks more subdued here in this mini regardless, which will help.
Besides it is infinitely superior to the vomiting skittles across the page we had in the Primacy Trilogy.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Z3ROhour » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:32 am

Motto: ""I WILL CUDDLE YOUR SOUL!!""
Weapon: Black Magic
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:I initially wasn't keen on it [the art style], it's hard to follow, when I first read Transformers vs. GI Joe. Although I quickly got into it through it's unique angle of visual storytelling. It looks more subdued here in this mini regardless, which will help.
Besides it is infinitely superior to the vomiting skittles across the page we had in the Primacy Trilogy.

what?!
you dont dig chicken scratchings in heavy inks?

well, i say "good day" 2 u, sir.

:-P
zodconvoy wrote:"DOES HE NOT HAVE FEET TO STOMP?!?!?
NOR TEETH TO GNASH!?!?
A DINOBOT IS NEVER WITHOUT HIS WEAPONS!"

Image
Latest FIGS (08/18-09/18): CB SHOCKWAVE! Cyberverse STARSCREAM. POTP REPUGNUS, INFERNO, MOONRACER, CINDERSAUR, CUTTHROAT, SINNERTWIN, OUTBACK, SLUDGE, SNARL, BLACKWING, BEACHCOMBER & WINDCHARGER. MMC FORTIS, TALON, TYRANTRON (IDW MEGATRON) Planet X CHARON (FALLEN). MAKETOYS BLINDFIRE! TLK COGMAN!! Studio GRIMLOCK, STARSCREAM & LOCKDOWN! KFC MUGAN SCOPE (PERCEPTOR!).
User avatar
Z3ROhour
Gestalt
Posts: 2472
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: right behind you...
Buy from Z3ROhour on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Bat to Starfighter Triplechanger
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 1
Endurance: 5
Rank: N/A
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Kyleor wrote:
Z3ROhour wrote:WTFIUWTA!?

:-x

WHAT THE FRAGGLE IS UP WITH THE ART?!

Are they insane?
Are they kidding?
Is this really what they are going with?
Is it an experiment?
Are 5 year olds all that is left for artists?
Is the world ending?
Did the Rapture take all the artists, because artist are the chosen people of the big 8-} in the sky?
Am i still here?
Is this a joke?

the art... is... is BAD!
just terrible.

the cover with Leader-1 was... ok...
but

WTFIUWTA!?
:HEADHURTS:
:DANCE:
:rodimusstar: :rodimusstarhalf:


There is a quality problem with many comic artists/writers, but you now get labeled a 'hater of women' or 'alt-right basement troll' by the fanboys of those artists/writers if you dare to point that out, or even suggest it.

Maybe they'll work up to a more modern or better style as the series goes on?

Isn't it a matter of taste though? Each artist has their fans and detractors in equal measures.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
Posts: 7251
News Credits: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Caelus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 am

Kyleor wrote:There is a quality problem with many comic artists/writers, but you now get labeled a 'hater of women' or 'alt-right basement troll' by the fanboys of those artists/writers if you dare to point that out, or even suggest it.


Well, if you only ***** about female artists and inclusive writing, you probably deserve what you get.

ZeroWolf wrote:Isn't it a matter of taste though? Each artist has their fans and detractors in equal measures.


I wouldn't say equal measures...
I wrote a fantasy novel and I buried one Furmanism in it, because I could. Rise of Azraea, is now being posted incrementally (4 posts a week) for all readers to access freely.
Caelus
City Commander
Posts: 3998
News Credits: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:32 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:31 am

Seibertron wrote:I don't even understand why Gobots is getting a comic. Can they just officially assimilate Gobots into Transformers once and for all and call it a day at long last? Is anyone truly nostalgic about Gobots over Transformers? If they are, I might have to rethink what I want to do with https://www.gobotron.com and https://www.machinerobo.com :)
Oddly enough, I do technically get more nostalgic for Gobots than Transformers in general.

By which I mean, I don't get nostalgic for TF because it's the one thing I never gave up being a fan of, so it's never really been in the past for me. I get an occasional feeling of nostalgia for specific stretches of the franchise like the early '90s when I was collecting all the Marvel U.S. books I'd foolishly ignored, and the late '90s when Beast Wars was miraculously saving the whole TF franchise, because it gave me this feeling of hope against all odds when it seemed like I was the last fan who still cared, difficult to explain now to fans too young to remember when TF wasn't a permanent fixture of pop culture, and Hasbro could have just allowed it to drop dead at any moment. This feeling's at it's strongest when I make the mistake of talking to some geewunner my own age who apparently wishes the franchise had died during that era despite knowing nothing about it, because that makes me wish I still was the last Transformers fan.

Gobots, on the other hand, was strictly a mid-to-late '80s franchise that doesn't have much existence anymore. Sure, I recently bought that Bike-Robo with the extra CyKill-esque faces, but since those MP-quality toys are Machine-Robo, any of us who enjoy them as GoBots are technically just repurposing them, right? And that can only be nostalgia because of the legal roadblocks keeping it from its former glory.

To our fandom, Gobots has been first and foremost the butt of jokes about it being the lame wannabe competition to Transformers. And frankly, the stupid, stupid names of so many of its characters, and the entire franchise, were genuinely asking for it. But considering it nothing but lame non-Transformers is really just an archaic holdover from a time when they were on equal footing as direct competition for TF. And it wasn't just Gobots: perhaps even most fans old enough to remember the dawn of TF have forgotten, but those were just two of dozens of toy robot lines competing for space in every toy section, adding to what made the mid '80s the golden age of toys by virtue of the sheer number of franchises in the game, whether or not they had corresponding cartoons to tell their story. Most of these had no mythos beyond a little text on the back of their packaging, but nearly all had that air of mysterious origins across the Pacific that imbued them with alien-ness, something Transformers balanced perfectly with the relatability of its characters. Of course, we knew TF was easily the best, and deserved to win any competition, so most of us just dismissed them. Gobots alone posed too serious competition to just dismiss, so we s#at all over it instead. I was no exception, but sometime in the last few decades, I realized that in doing so, I'd failed to fully appreciated those toylines for what they were; I'd forgotten how much I loved that childhood forest for love of just my favorite tree.

THAT's what I get nostalgic for. And Gobots is my most reliable link to that era.

So no, Gobots should absolutely NOT be completely assimilated into TF, and Gobotron should not be just another version of Cybertron somewhere in the multiverse. This new comic, however, doesn't look or sound that interesting. Sure, it'll get people talking about Gobots in the present tense again, but I foresee yet another restart becoming necessary not too long afterward.

And when that happens, can't we have one damn TF universe where the Gobots, Zybots, Convertors, Robotrons, Bug Bots, Parasites etc. also exist, but on different planets with no direct evidence of being created by Primus or the Quintessons? Both Sunbow and Marvel's post-Movie eras showed that Transformers were just one of many disparate races of sentient robots, all alien to each other, so it's hardly unprecedented, but not really explored at all. The mission of that universe's Lost Light could be to investigate whether there is some forgotten connection to TF: Flip-Trons, Four Star, and other lines that had literal KOs of Diaclone molds would surely turn out to have some actual heritage, like botched Quint experiments using computers other than Vector Sigma, while others would turn out to have no connection at all. Since most of those franchises are dead and forgotten, would anyone sue or demand that much in royalties?

Or maybe that just makes sense to me because I didn't understand which cartoons shared continuity when I was 5. I always thought Dr. Archeville was just Dr. Braxis disguising himself so he could sneak into the superior giant robot cartoon, just like Cobra Commander donned that trenchcoat and fedora to sneak into Season 3 as Old Snake. Add in what I assumed were the Rock Lords showing up on He-Man and She-Ra, and all the action cartoons I grew up on are forever tangled up in my mind. That's the book I want to see. I'm so far behind on IDW that I won't get to Revolution for a while, but no matter how bad it sucked (seriously, was any of it as bad as the Jem movie?), I don't ever want Hasbro to give up on making that idea work. And Gobots should always be a part of that whole, distinct from Transformers.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:29 am

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Z3ROhour » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52 am

Motto: ""I WILL CUDDLE YOUR SOUL!!""
Weapon: Black Magic
Bumblevivisector wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I don't even understand why Gobots is getting a comic. Can they just officially assimilate Gobots into Transformers once and for all and call it a day at long last? Is anyone truly nostalgic about Gobots over Transformers? If they are, I might have to rethink what I want to do with https://www.gobotron.com and https://www.machinerobo.com :)
Oddly enough, I do technically get more nostalgic for Gobots than Transformers in general.

By which I mean, I don't get nostalgic for TF because it's the one thing I never gave up being a fan of, so it's never really been in the past for me. I get an occasional feeling of nostalgia for specific stretches of the franchise like the early '90s when I was collecting all the Marvel U.S. books I'd foolishly ignored, and the late '90s when Beast Wars was miraculously saving the whole TF franchise, because it gave me this feeling of hope against all odds when it seemed like I was the last fan who still cared, difficult to explain now to fans too young to remember when TF wasn't a permanent fixture of pop culture, and Hasbro could have just allowed it to drop dead at any moment. This feeling's at it's strongest when I make the mistake of talking to some geewunner my own age who apparently wishes the franchise had died during that era despite knowing nothing about it, because that makes me wish I still was the last Transformers fan.

Gobots, on the other hand, was strictly a mid-to-late '80s franchise that doesn't have much existence anymore. Sure, I recently bought that Bike-Robo with the extra CyKill-esque faces, but since those MP-quality toys are Machine-Robo, any of us who enjoy them as GoBots are technically just repurposing them, right? And that can only be nostalgia because of the legal roadblocks keeping it from its former glory.

To our fandom, Gobots has been first and foremost the butt of jokes about it being the lame wannabe competition to Transformers. And frankly, the stupid, stupid names of so many of its characters, and the entire franchise, were genuinely asking for it. But considering it nothing but lame non-Transformers is really just an archaic holdover from a time when they were on equal footing as direct competition for TF. And it wasn't just Gobots: perhaps even most fans old enough to remember the dawn of TF have forgotten, but those were just two of dozens of toy robot lines competing for space in every toy section, adding to what made the mid '80s the golden age of toys by virtue of the sheer number of franchises in the game, whether or not they had corresponding cartoons to tell their story. Most of these had no mythos beyond a little text on the back of their packaging, but nearly all had that air of mysterious origins across the Pacific that imbued them with alien-ness, something Transformers balanced perfectly with the relatability of its characters. Of course, we knew TF was easily the best, and deserved to win any competition, so most of us just dismissed them. Gobots alone posed too serious competition to just dismiss, so we s#at all over it instead. I was no exception, but sometime in the last few decades, I realized that in doing so, I'd failed to fully appreciated those toylines for what they were; I'd forgotten how much I loved that childhood forest for love of just my favorite tree.

THAT's what I get nostalgic for. And Gobots is my most reliable link to that era.

So no, Gobots should absolutely NOT be completely assimilated into TF, and Gobotron should not be just another version of Cybertron somewhere in the multiverse. This new comic, however, doesn't look or sound that interesting. Sure, it'll get people talking about Gobots in the present tense again, but I foresee yet another restart becoming necessary not too long afterward.

And when that happens, can't we have one damn TF universe where the Gobots, Zybots, Convertors, Robotrons, Bug Bots, Parasites etc. also exist, but on different planets with no direct evidence of being created by Primus or the Quintessons? Both Sunbow and Marvel's post-Movie eras showed that Transformers were just one of many disparate races of sentient robots, all alien to each other, so it's hardly unprecedented, but not really explored at all. The mission of that universe's Lost Light could be to investigate whether there is some forgotten connection to TF: Flip-Trons, Four Star, and other lines that had literal KOs of Diaclone molds would surely turn out to have some actual heritage, like botched Quint experiments using computers other than Vector Sigma, while others would turn out to have no connection at all. Since most of those franchises are dead and forgotten, would anyone sue or demand that much in royalties?

Or maybe that just makes sense to me because I didn't understand which cartoons shared continuity when I was 5. I always thought Dr. Archeville was just Dr. Braxis disguising himself so he could sneak into the superior giant robot cartoon, just like Cobra Commander donned that trenchcoat and fedora to sneak into Season 3 as Old Snake. Add in what I assumed were the Rock Lords showing up on He-Man and She-Ra, and all the action cartoons I grew up on are forever tangled up in my mind. That's the book I want to see. I'm so far behind on IDW that I won't get to Revolution for a while, but no matter how bad it sucked (seriously, was any of it as bad as the Jem movie?), I don't ever want Hasbro to give up on making that idea work. And Gobots should always be a part of that whole, distinct from Transformers.

too each, their own.
(yuck!)
zodconvoy wrote:"DOES HE NOT HAVE FEET TO STOMP?!?!?
NOR TEETH TO GNASH!?!?
A DINOBOT IS NEVER WITHOUT HIS WEAPONS!"

Image
Latest FIGS (08/18-09/18): CB SHOCKWAVE! Cyberverse STARSCREAM. POTP REPUGNUS, INFERNO, MOONRACER, CINDERSAUR, CUTTHROAT, SINNERTWIN, OUTBACK, SLUDGE, SNARL, BLACKWING, BEACHCOMBER & WINDCHARGER. MMC FORTIS, TALON, TYRANTRON (IDW MEGATRON) Planet X CHARON (FALLEN). MAKETOYS BLINDFIRE! TLK COGMAN!! Studio GRIMLOCK, STARSCREAM & LOCKDOWN! KFC MUGAN SCOPE (PERCEPTOR!).
User avatar
Z3ROhour
Gestalt
Posts: 2472
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: right behind you...
Buy from Z3ROhour on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Bat to Starfighter Triplechanger
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 1
Endurance: 5
Rank: N/A
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Bumblevivisector wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I don't even understand why Gobots is getting a comic. Can they just officially assimilate Gobots into Transformers once and for all and call it a day at long last? Is anyone truly nostalgic about Gobots over Transformers? If they are, I might have to rethink what I want to do with https://www.gobotron.com and https://www.machinerobo.com :)
Oddly enough, I do technically get more nostalgic for Gobots than Transformers in general.

By which I mean, I don't get nostalgic for TF because it's the one thing I never gave up being a fan of, so it's never really been in the past for me. I get an occasional feeling of nostalgia for specific stretches of the franchise like the early '90s when I was collecting all the Marvel U.S. books I'd foolishly ignored, and the late '90s when Beast Wars was miraculously saving the whole TF franchise, because it gave me this feeling of hope against all odds when it seemed like I was the last fan who still cared, difficult to explain now to fans too young to remember when TF wasn't a permanent fixture of pop culture, and Hasbro could have just allowed it to drop dead at any moment. This feeling's at it's strongest when I make the mistake of talking to some geewunner my own age who apparently wishes the franchise had died during that era despite knowing nothing about it, because that makes me wish I still was the last Transformers fan.

Gobots, on the other hand, was strictly a mid-to-late '80s franchise that doesn't have much existence anymore. Sure, I recently bought that Bike-Robo with the extra CyKill-esque faces, but since those MP-quality toys are Machine-Robo, any of us who enjoy them as GoBots are technically just repurposing them, right? And that can only be nostalgia because of the legal roadblocks keeping it from its former glory.

To our fandom, Gobots has been first and foremost the butt of jokes about it being the lame wannabe competition to Transformers. And frankly, the stupid, stupid names of so many of its characters, and the entire franchise, were genuinely asking for it. But considering it nothing but lame non-Transformers is really just an archaic holdover from a time when they were on equal footing as direct competition for TF. And it wasn't just Gobots: perhaps even most fans old enough to remember the dawn of TF have forgotten, but those were just two of dozens of toy robot lines competing for space in every toy section, adding to what made the mid '80s the golden age of toys by virtue of the sheer number of franchises in the game, whether or not they had corresponding cartoons to tell their story. Most of these had no mythos beyond a little text on the back of their packaging, but nearly all had that air of mysterious origins across the Pacific that imbued them with alien-ness, something Transformers balanced perfectly with the relatability of its characters. Of course, we knew TF was easily the best, and deserved to win any competition, so most of us just dismissed them. Gobots alone posed too serious competition to just dismiss, so we s#at all over it instead. I was no exception, but sometime in the last few decades, I realized that in doing so, I'd failed to fully appreciated those toylines for what they were; I'd forgotten how much I loved that childhood forest for love of just my favorite tree.

THAT's what I get nostalgic for. And Gobots is my most reliable link to that era.

So no, Gobots should absolutely NOT be completely assimilated into TF, and Gobotron should not be just another version of Cybertron somewhere in the multiverse. This new comic, however, doesn't look or sound that interesting. Sure, it'll get people talking about Gobots in the present tense again, but I foresee yet another restart becoming necessary not too long afterward.

And when that happens, can't we have one damn TF universe where the Gobots, Zybots, Convertors, Robotrons, Bug Bots, Parasites etc. also exist, but on different planets with no direct evidence of being created by Primus or the Quintessons? Both Sunbow and Marvel's post-Movie eras showed that Transformers were just one of many disparate races of sentient robots, all alien to each other, so it's hardly unprecedented, but not really explored at all. The mission of that universe's Lost Light could be to investigate whether there is some forgotten connection to TF: Flip-Trons, Four Star, and other lines that had literal KOs of Diaclone molds would surely turn out to have some actual heritage, like botched Quint experiments using computers other than Vector Sigma, while others would turn out to have no connection at all. Since most of those franchises are dead and forgotten, would anyone sue or demand that much in royalties?

Or maybe that just makes sense to me because I didn't understand which cartoons shared continuity when I was 5. I always thought Dr. Archeville was just Dr. Braxis disguising himself so he could sneak into the superior giant robot cartoon, just like Cobra Commander donned that trenchcoat and fedora to sneak into Season 3 as Old Snake. Add in what I assumed were the Rock Lords showing up on He-Man and She-Ra, and all the action cartoons I grew up on are forever tangled up in my mind. That's the book I want to see. I'm so far behind on IDW that I won't get to Revolution for a while, but no matter how bad it sucked (seriously, was any of it as bad as the Jem movie?), I don't ever want Hasbro to give up on making that idea work. And Gobots should always be a part of that whole, distinct from Transformers.

This is a really good post, so thank you for sharing :)

I just want to add that I think you're right about this continuity being a one off asi do believe there will be a cross over at some point in the future with the new tf continuity.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
Posts: 7251
News Credits: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Amelie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:34 pm

I actually think this art has a lot going for it.

- The way depth and perspective is used is solid and dynamic, something that I've been finding lacking in some of the other artists work (which sometimes is far too "from the side" far too often for my tastes). I'll state this more boldly - its not an easy skill and often overlooked when I see critique of comic art, especially when I often see some really weird decisions and mistakes made in other works.

- Panels have a great sense of movement with Scioli and for me thats a big part of story telling in an action comic. You can have all the detailing in the world you like, but your art can still look dead on a page. A reason Senior's work was so excellent in the 80s was the way you could 'feel' the movement in panels (Target:2006's Highway Surfing issue is an excellent example)

- Its bold and daring. Scioli knows this art isn't for everyone. Art rarely is 'for everyone', but he's made the conscious decision to go down a a route less mainstream. The style suits the more bonkers plot that is likely to follow (as was in GI Joe Vs Transformers).

Nostalgia aside - it strikes all the right cords with me. Perhaps, even, the art could be future-proofing itself with its silver-age looks. If I pick this up in 18 years time like a Dreamwave comic, I suspect I won't be saying "this art has aged horribly" like I do with DW (DW was often awful to begin with, don't get me started).

#RambleOver
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.


Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
User avatar
Amelie
Godmaster
Posts: 1687
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
On a related note, did anyone here (besides me) ever read the story "Echoes and Fragments"? It was written by Jim Sorenson during the Transformers Collectors Club's final year, and told an alternate version of the events of Transformers: The Movie, in which the Transformer Sideways and the Renegade GoBot Gong messed around with space-time to mix and match Transformers and GoBots in various roles during the events of movie, with Vector Prime setting out to stop their shenanigans and set things right with reality to get everyone back to their proper places for the movie's events to end correctly.

This was its title art:

Image
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30189
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Cyber Bishop » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
Not a fan of the art or GoBots.. sorry
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop
level 40 Mystic
501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9629
News Credits: 89
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Daniel Adkins » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Seibertron wrote:I don't even understand why Gobots is getting a comic.

Because Tom Scioli said to IDW "Hey, I want to make a GoBots comic." Believe it or not, sometimes comics (even licensed ones) are made because artists want to make them.
User avatar
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
Posts: 228
News Credits: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:58 pm
Location: North Carolina
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Silverwing » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm

I quite like the art style. The retro aesthetic works for a franchise entirely based in the 80s, not to mention that it sets the brand apart from TF in a clear way. In my opinion, GoBots shouldn't try to be the "cool" shape-shifting robots, TF already has that covered. The direction IDW is going in allows for the more wacky, creative elements shine to through, which makes the comic far more interesting. Heck, I'm not even a GoBots fan and I'm just as interested in this project as I am in the Unicron finale!
Silverwing
Micromaster
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Kyleor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
Someone wrote:
Well, if you only ***** about female artists and inclusive writing, you probably deserve what you get.



Well, if you intentionally focus only on any criticism at all of one group as a power-shield against any criticism of any comics at all, you probably deserve what lower art quality, poorly written, and quickly canceled comics you get...
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Combiner
Posts: 435
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby dragons » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:16 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:It's basically recreating the art style of the early days, and was used to great effect in the Transformers vs GI Joe miniseries. It's not to some people's tastes but each to their own.


i dont know what early days your talking about i saw comics in news papers are style didnt look like this, i saw archie comics, and batman, they didnt look this xmen issue 12 first apperacne of juggernaught comc art doesnt look like this for humans and machines.

im no xmen fan but comic art of professor x looks better this comic page art was from years ago

Image.

for those who like this art style let them buy it but for me comic art is what make me buy books not story if wanted good story i buy william shakespear, edger allen poe, jules vern, if i want comic book i look art first then everything else
Image
dragons
Gestalt
Posts: 2931
News Credits: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:28 pm

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
dragons wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:It's basically recreating the art style of the early days, and was used to great effect in the Transformers vs GI Joe miniseries. It's not to some people's tastes but each to their own.


i dont know what early days your talking about i saw comics in news papers are style didnt look like this, i saw archie comics, and batman, they didnt look this xmen issue 12 first apperacne of juggernaught comc art doesnt look like this for humans and machines.

im no xmen fan but comic art of professor x looks better this comic page art was from years ago

Image.

for those who like this art style let them buy it but for me comic art is what make me buy books not story if wanted good story i buy william shakespear, edger allen poe, jules vern, if i want comic book i look art first then everything else
More correctly, it's based on the style of Jack Kirby's more surreal art.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30189
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby WreckerJack » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
Can't see this doing well. It's gonna wind up like that micronaut comic that ended.
User avatar
WreckerJack
News Staff
Posts: 1941
News Credits: 291
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 am
Location: Pacific NW
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Rank: ???
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby ThunderThruster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Bad Wolf wrote:Art quality aside.. I don't remember Turbo ever being able to have a driver when in car mode, as being cyborgs they were not that much bigger than average humans.. when did go-bots get mass shifting abilities?


If you go to time index 8:20 you'll see Turbo shove both Nick and A.J. into the car seat area in his chest https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tyiy1
Last edited by ThunderThruster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka wrote:What she doesn't realize is that Springer actually loves Rodimus.
Jack Hallows wrote:the Autobot Savior is Alldarker.
User avatar
ThunderThruster
Gestalt
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:56 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
ThunderThruster wrote:
Bad Wolf wrote:Art quality aside.. I don't remember Turbo ever being able to have a driver when in car mode, as being cyborgs they were not that much bigger than average humans.. when did go-bots get mass shifting abilities?


If you go to time index 8:20 you'll see Turbo shove both Nick and A.J. into the car seat area in his chest https://www.dailymotion.com/015adf09-f5 ... a1fd647d64
Dead link.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30189
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Coptur » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:08 am

Gobots size Comparsion between 1984 to the episode Time Wars 1985
http://fav.me/db26uyo

as you can see even hannah barbara changed their minds from episode to episode.

This is a new continuity so it doesn't matter what size(s) they used to be.

I'm a big Gobots fan and want to read this even though i hate the art style. I have all the original Eagle Comics with the original Machine Robo/Gobots comic strips.
Coptur
Fuzor
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 pm

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby ThunderThruster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Sabrblade wrote:
ThunderThruster wrote:
Bad Wolf wrote:Art quality aside.. I don't remember Turbo ever being able to have a driver when in car mode, as being cyborgs they were not that much bigger than average humans.. when did go-bots get mass shifting abilities?


If you go to time index 8:20 you'll see Turbo shove both Nick and A.J. into the car seat area in his chest https://www.dailymotion.com/015adf09-f59a-4499-94fe-a7a1fd647d64
Dead link.


Apparently so. Fixed.
Tekka wrote:What she doesn't realize is that Springer actually loves Rodimus.
Jack Hallows wrote:the Autobot Savior is Alldarker.
User avatar
ThunderThruster
Gestalt
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:56 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30189
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 am

Sabrblade wrote:On a related note, did anyone here (besides me) ever read the story "Echoes and Fragments"? It was written by Jim Sorenson during the Transformers Collectors Club's final year, and told an alternate version of the events of Transformers: The Movie, in which the Transformer Sideways and the Renegade GoBot Gong messed around with space-time to mix and match Transformers and GoBots in various roles during the events of movie, with Vector Prime setting out to stop their shenanigans and set things right with reality to get everyone back to their proper places for the movie's events to end correctly.

This was its title art:

Image


While that does sound interesting, after the insulting FanFic trash that was Deviations, I wouldn't go near any "alternate" take on The Movie ever again.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Go-Bots Ongoing Series Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:16 am

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:While that does sound interesting, after the insulting FanFic trash that was Deviations, I wouldn't go near any "alternate" take on The Movie ever again.
Don't worry, all of the events were left intact (or given GoBots-based equivalents that were both appropriate matches and clever tributes to both series) and everyone left in-character. It was done in faithful respect to both properties, as opposed to Deviations's disgraceful disrespect.

About the only notable change to the story I can recall was the very minor change of Cy-Kill sparing Ironhide's life rather than murdering him outright like Megatron did, opting to instead have him locked up in the ship's hold, thinking that he may yet have some use for Ironhide that would warrant the Autobot kept alive rather than killed off.

...Buuuuuuuut, he never got the chance to do whatever he had planned for Ironhide because A) he eventually switched places back with Megatron, and B) the events of the movie as they played out would have halted said plans anyway since we know just how well things ended up turning out for Megatron in the Battle of Autobot City ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 30189
News Credits: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Previous

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Class Metroplex with Autobot Scamper Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #208 - Everyone Gets Counterpunched
Twincast / Podcast #208:
"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return MURK & DECEPTICON OCTONE Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hunt For The Decepticon Voyager PAYLOAD Complete Hftd lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Soundblaster Voyager Figure NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Foc ULTRA MAGNUS Complete generations Fall Of Cybertron lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return BLITZWING & DECEPTICON OCTONE Figure Lot" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Sentinel Prime (KRE-O 30687) 386 pieces New Sealed Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers GO SAMURAI G01 "KENZAN JUNK" AUTOBOT Loose Takara Tomy Japan!" on EBAY
Buy "BUMBLEBEE Metals Die Cast with Coin TRANSFORMERS The Last Knight 8-in Camaro NEW" on EBAY