This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New Interview With Transformers Art Director Alex Jaeger

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

New Interview With Transformers Art Director Alex Jaeger

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:47 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
A new interview has been posted on CGSociety with Transformers Movie Art Director Alex Jaeger. You can view it by clicking here.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Black Bumblebee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:19 am

An interesting read and has some very cool pictures of how the process was thought out.

I like the idea he had that as the bots were transforming, their wheels would stay on the ground for most of the time, so they could still be moving at 80 mph and such.
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby Ultra Magnus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am

Motto: "COME ON YOU APES! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?"
Weapon: Dual Cluster Bomb Missile Launchers
I agree. This is the type of stuff I like to see; Now if they could have just done MORE of that in the movie... I expected to see more of the surreal "Gerwalk" modes; Like in TFTM where Scourge's head pops out when he spoke to Galvatron, or Like G1 Prime only transforming his Legs so he can roll while still having his arms available for Smashing... Stuff like that. Maybe next time? Either way, all of the mechanics of the movie were right on point. I can't wait till they release the obligatory "The Art of Transformers" book, showcasing all of the Concept art and production designs and whatnot.
"Alright Bots, the time is Now. Transform and Finish it!"

Ultra Magnus
Combiner
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby OptimusShr » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 am

I would love to see a book with the artwork of the characters so we could see how they evolved into what we see on screen.
OptimusShr
Fuzor

Postby supreme commander galvatr » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:34 am

nice art. but i do not see any transformers.
supreme commander galvatr
Mini-Con

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:36 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
supreme commander galvatr wrote:nice art. but i do not see any transformers.

Wow! This joke is still relevant and funny! 8-|
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
Shadowman
God Of Transformers

Postby Hans » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am

Shadowman wrote:
supreme commander galvatr wrote:nice art. but i do not see any transformers.

Wow! This joke is still relevant and funny! 8-|

Actually, that's the exact same thing I was thinking... The guy certainly is a good designer, but it would have been nice if the robots would have looked slightly more familiar... These aren't what I (as just another fan) feel Transformers should look like. It would have been good if he forgot the "great" Hollywood style of designing things, and looked at Japanese mecha designs instead.

Sure, I know this subject has been beaten to death already, but it's still the only thing I was disappointed with in the new movie...
Hans
Fuzor
News Credits: 8

Postby tile_mcgillus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:06 am

Yeah. I think they misfired on the heads and amount of detail. It was just too cryptic and alien for me. We saw the protoforms where they look insane. Perfectly fine. Why not have the transformers faces be more human to "relate" with the humans or interact with the environment?

Basically it was style over substance. Gooble-de-gook over simplicity.

While I respect his ability I think the chosen directon is detrimental in the movie not a benefit.
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Postby Briggs » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 am

The designs are Transformers through and through.Glad they werent any other way.

And it's nice to see interviews with designers, guys who have spent a huge chunk of their life doing this stuff, and explaining why they do it that way. Of course, some people will not accept that, to bad.
Briggs
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Kayevcee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:10 pm

"I know this subject has been beaten to death already"

Nought but mush beneath your blood-soaked fists, mate. Nought but mush.

Love all that concept artwork, especially the Starship Troopers stuff on the second page.

-Nick
Kayevcee
Vehicon
News Credits: 3

Postby SnipeShade » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:08 pm

really cool. Yea, I can't wait for the ARt book too. I like his idea of keeping to scale the actuality of the transformations. The cartoon transformations would have never translated well enough into reality.
SnipeShade
Combiner

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Interview is nothing really special, but the art, and other images are fantastic!
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Turparooni Prime » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:08 am

Nice!!! Keep The Artwork CGI's Coming, Wanna See Artwork for Brawl
Turparooni Prime
Mini-Con

Postby Hans » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:32 am

briggs wrote:The designs are Transformers through and through.

Yeah, right. That's exactly why they caused such an outrage when they were revealed. Because all the fans felt they looked just like the Transformers.... :roll:
Hans
Fuzor

Postby Liege Evilmus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:00 pm

All I'd ask this guy is "How much did Beast Wars and HellRaiser inspire you?"

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #12 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 NOV210459 12B (CA) Murphy"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #4 Cvr C IDW Comics 2022 JUN221675 4C (CA) Stone"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #3 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 3A (CA) Thomas"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers HEART OF DARKNESS #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2011 3RI (CA) Farinas"
Transformers HEART ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 AUG210588 3RI (CA) Milne"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #6 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 MAY210469 6B (CA) Schoening"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #39 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 NOV210456 39B (CA) Simone"
TRANSFORMERS #39 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926Y"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WINDBLADE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2014 FEB140339 (CA) Ramondelli"
Transformers WINDB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Autobot WHEELJACK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Autobot WHEELJACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #5 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 240317A"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers My Little Pony MAGIC OF CYBERTRON #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 1RIA"
Transformers My Li ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 3A 210411B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 FEB220440 (CA) Miller"
Transformers BEAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON