This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #130 "Retools"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #130 "Retools"

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
Welcome to the latest episode of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast. For your listening pleasure we have our host, ScottyP, along with "The man who finally got a deluxe of his namesake", Megatronus, and our "Two podcasters from the Great White North who couldn't make it to TFCon", xRotorstormx and RodimusConvoy13. Listen as they give you their takes on the latest and greatest in Transformers news.

Episode #130 "Retools" is available directly and in our RSS Feed and should appear on iTunes and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Starting off in the exciting world of comics, we discuss Transformers #46. Learn who is a fan of Blackrock and what we think of Uncomfortable Prime. All that plus some thoughts on the Mistress of Flame and what she represents await in our discussion of this (mostly) new release.

A giant leap is coming, is he ready?

Transformers: Redemption comes up after that. Between some cool crossover pages, story development, and new characters, there's a lot of cool that the cast found in this new release. There's also an intense discussion on Mad Max: Fury Road, so do remember to tell Scotty why he's wrong about it in the Energon Pub by replying to this post.

Slag? Slug? ... Don't call me Mad Max

We move on to a new masterpiece reveal: Masterpiece Ramjet! We dive right into Takara Tomy's first MP Conehead and discuss the intricacies of the head transformation, if we think he's too much like the cartoon, and cheekbones. Yes, cheekbones. You'll want to tune in for this oddly complex tale of speculative reverse engineering.

You wanna say something about my face to my face??

Next up is Combiner Wars Wave 4, specifically, concerns about Wheeljack. Is a Transformers/Powder crossover coming this many years after that movie you forgot about? No, but it's fun to kid around with this (we hope) early test shot.

Ha ha, not enough of the alloy! Wheeljack is still going to be infected with the Hate Plague.

That's not all for re-painted and re-tooled toy reveals, as we next look at e-Hobby Legends Deadlock. Do we like him? Is he purty? Yes. Yes.

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the sword and the guns.

Had enough toy talk yet? Good! Because there's more. The conversation moves on to the Transformers Collectors' Club Subscription Service Krok and the bonus "mystery" figure, which we completely spoil if you've somehow managed to avoid that reveal so far. What works about this figure? What doesn't? What is the mysterious origin of Shakar? Do we still care now that we know?

One killer Krok.

Botcon 2016 is next, and we give our thoughts on the soon to be revealed (as of the recording) Sea Clamp. Do we think he's the best torso bot to use? We also share our feelings on his boxset-mate Cicadacon. Tune in before the crippling blow of reality swayed our opinions in other directions (or not).

Sea Clamp owes me Lobster Money.

After the toy talk we move on to a listener question. WilliamJames88 asks how we feel when a less expensive, possibly better version of a character is released after we've gotten the more expensive exclusive. We tell you what to think!-- oh wait, what we think. Sorry.

Will you still love me tomorrow?

We finish out with some bragging rights. What did we get? Were they Transformers? Of course they were!

Am I blue? Or am I blue?

With that we wrap up another episode, and we'll see you all again in a couple weeks.

Don't forget, the show only gets better if you tell us how. Drop us a review on iTunes and be sure to tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you want to hear!

Not on the show to give your take? Probably not, so don't forget to keep the discussion going on the Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums by simply replying to this post!

Got a question for the Twincast? We take all of them, we just don't take them all seriously! Leave a question in the Ask the Twincast thread and, if it makes the cut, it may get read and answered on the show.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #130 "Retools"

Postby william-james88 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Great podcast guys! Just one thing I wanted to add.

It was metioned that the Krok mold was originally made for Megatron and while he was issued first, it really seems it was made more for Dreadwing, principally, with Megatron as a perfectly fine retool to have a far more popular character on the shelves as well (tied to the comics). These toys have a 2 year production cycle, so I think its more Hasbro gving the designs for Nick Roche to incorporate rather than his design inspiring the toys. The feet are the biggest indication that this mold is initially designed to be for Dreadwing since they are spot on the feet of the original G2 Dreadwing they are trying to homage:

Transformers Generations Dreadwing Gallery

Transformers Generations Dreadwing Gallery

Also, can someone explain to me how Sky Lynx would have worked as a Torso fo Sea Clamp if he doesnt have a bipedal robot mode? He has no robot head.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
william-james88 wrote:These toys have a 2 year production cycle, so I think its more Hasbro gving the designs for Nick Roche to incorporate rather than his design inspiring the toys.
Stealth Bomber Megatron was first seen in the comics in November 2010, in issue 13 of the then ongoing series. The design allegedly originated from a sketch Don Figueroa made that Andy Schmidt (then the main Editor at IDW for Transformers) rejected at some point. That puts Roche's work drawing that version of Megatron mid-Summer to Fall 2010? That's roughly 3 years before the toy came out, and a lot of IDW/Hasbro brand team shifting came in between. Very safe to say that the design was not intended to be made into a toy when it was initially used.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:47 pm

ScottyP wrote:
william-james88 wrote:These toys have a 2 year production cycle, so I think its more Hasbro gving the designs for Nick Roche to incorporate rather than his design inspiring the toys.
Stealth Bomber Megatron was first seen in the comics in November 2010, in issue 13 of the then ongoing series. The design allegedly originated from a sketch Don Figueroa made that Andy Schmidt (then the main Editor at IDW for Transformers) rejected at some point. That puts Roche's work drawing that version of Megatron mid-Summer to Fall 2010? That's roughly 3 years before the toy came out, and a lot of IDW/Hasbro brand team shifting came in between. Very safe to say that the design was not intended to be made into a toy when it was initially used.

Thanks for clarifying Scotty! Thay makes it pretty impressive that it was such a good fit for Dreadwing as well then. Had me fooled :)
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
william-james88 wrote:Thanks for clarifying Scotty! That makes it pretty impressive that it was such a good fit for Dreadwing as well then. Had me fooled :)

It definitely works for Dreadwing, especially since Megatron doesn't have that body anymore. Still, I really like this Dreadwing best:

Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Those 2 molds are amazing Megatronus, and a great way to homage how G2 Dreadwing and Smokejumper merged together to make one beautiful ship (though I feel the end result of that combination is better on G2, than the Mindwipe/Skystalker combination).

Also since we are on the subject, is it safe to assume that the current Dreadwing design is based on the toy ? Or is that also not the case?

One last thing, did you know of the fan modes to combine the two molds above together?

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm

The IDW design is 100% based on the toy... IDW's all about the cross-promotion these days!

Not sure about that fan mode though...
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby lonrac » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:03 am

Motto: "My 'collection' isn't worth bragging about"
Weapon: Photon Pistol
....have you actually been to an Irish Nude Beach???

The Problem I find with Optimus Prime in any of the new continuities, is that in the Original versions Optimus was always riding this huge guilt trip of bringing the war to Earth, he doesn't have that anymore.
lonrac
Fuzor
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 3
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 2

Postby ScottyP » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:30 am

william-james88 wrote:Also, can someone explain to me how Sky Lynx would have worked as a Torso fo Sea Clamp if he doesnt have a bipedal robot mode? He has no robot head.
Missed this earlier. I don't know, but it just feels like it could have been fun. Not too fussed about it though.

lonrac wrote:....have you actually been to an Irish Nude Beach???
No. Should I? I mean, if it's a party, it's a party, right? :lol:

lonrac wrote:The Problem I find with Optimus Prime in any of the new continuities, is that in the Original versions Optimus was always riding this huge guilt trip of bringing the war to Earth, he doesn't have that anymore.
IDW Prime is riding a guilt trip of bringing it basically everywhere right now, so it's compelling to me. You're right though, it's a little weird how some of the other recent fictional Optimus Prime iterations are kind of like eh whatever, let's blow stuff up (but do protect the children!)
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Counterpunch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:38 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I like the Takara Ramjet offering more than the iGear version.

We'll see if they can top the very outstanding Dirge and Thrust versions later down the road.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby ScottyP » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:48 am

Counterpunch wrote:I like the Takara Ramjet offering more than the iGear version.

We'll see if they can top the very outstanding Dirge and Thrust versions later down the road.
There are parts of Takara's I like better, but something about iGear's is just so sleek and pretty. The metallic maroon on the wings, the non-gigantic weaponry, the crisp white, the hint of a sneer - Ramjet is probably my second favorite of their's behind Thrust, and was also the first one I had so the longer attachment period surely colors my view of Takara's effort.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:36 am

I'm just glad we're finally getting on the business of official MP coneheads. I think what they're putting out is great, despite flaws. Considering I would have bought Ramjet even if it was average or poor (looking at you, Ironhide), the promo pics are a relief.
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby william-james88 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:43 am

ScottyP wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:I like the Takara Ramjet offering more than the iGear version.

There are parts of Takara's I like better, but something about iGear's is just so sleek and pretty. The metallic maroon on the wings, the non-gigantic weaponry, the crisp white, the hint of a sneer - Ramjet is probably my second favorite of their's behind Thrust, and was also the first one I had so the longer attachment period surely colors my view of Takara's effort.

Does the I-Gear also use a fake nosecone for the head? This was what displeased me the most about Takara's. They are doing so much more tooling, why not do a new mold? Or find a way to retool it so that he doesnt have 2 nosecones in robot mode? The classics toy found a way, why not the MP line? The Masterpiece line is not just about being as cartoon accurate as possible but also about advancing the envelope for design and technology (though in the cartoon, he doesnt have a nosecone between his legs in robot mode, so I guess he isnt too cartoon accurate either).

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:55 am

william-james88 wrote:The classics toy found a way, why not the MP line?

I find this unfair.
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 am

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
megatronus wrote:

I find this unfair.

Yeah. Classics was able to get away with having the nose of the plane be shorter than it actually would be if it was a real vehicle. Since Masterpiece goes for a much more realistic look for their alt modes, have the nose of the plane actually be Ramjet's head would make it way to tall. Think about your G1 Boneheads when you put them in robot mode. They have giant heads!

I think that Ramjet looks great and if I collected Masterpiece, I would totally get him and be very happy. :-D
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:07 am

megatronus wrote:

I find this unfair.

There is no one who's opinion I value more than yours, so I am curious to know why you find it unfair. Is it about the planes no longer looking the same as the other seekers? Because the conheads were never the same planes as the other seekers, due to their different wings. And while the nosecone is a bit shorter in the classics coneheads, they look damn fine to me all together nonetheless. I think its a small price to pay for engineering perfection and ameliorated show accuracy.

Transformers Generations Thundercracker Gallery

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am

I would say the Classics solution is a quick and dirty fix - shorten the nosecone, flip it back. It's that simple. I don't think applying a quick and dirty fix to a line that is supposed to be all about accuracy in engineering is fair. Yes, the line has compromise, but often those are well thought out. The Classics solution is fine for what is and what it is meant to do, but applying that to the MP line would be a cheat or copout in my book.
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:19 am

william-james88 wrote:There is no one who's opinion I value more than yours

You rogue, you! :x
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby Counterpunch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:29 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
megatronus wrote:
william-james88 wrote:There is no one who's opinion I value more than yours

You rogue, you! :x

Put your re-tools away gentlemen.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 4

Postby william-james88 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 am

megatronus wrote:I would say the Classics solution is a quick and dirty fix - shorten the nosecone, flip it back. It's that simple. I don't think applying a quick and dirty fix to a line that is supposed to be all about accuracy in engineering is fair. Yes, the line has compromise, but often those are well thought out. The Classics solution is fine for what is and what it is meant to do, but applying that to the MP line would be a cheat or copout in my book.

Interesting, that is pretty much my argument for this retool. I find a fake cockpit to be a copout and a quick fix to be able to still keep this decade old mold.

But like Scotty says, we have different opinions and thats ok (you sure you guys arent Canadian?).

william-james88
News Staff

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 am

william-james88 wrote:
megatronus wrote:I would say the Classics solution is a quick and dirty fix - shorten the nosecone, flip it back. It's that simple. I don't think applying a quick and dirty fix to a line that is supposed to be all about accuracy in engineering is fair. Yes, the line has compromise, but often those are well thought out. The Classics solution is fine for what is and what it is meant to do, but applying that to the MP line would be a cheat or copout in my book.

Interesting, that is pretty much my argument for this retool. I find a fake cockpit to be a copout and a quick fix to be able to still keep this decade old mold.

But like Scotty says, we have different opinions and thats ok (you sure you guys arent Canadian?).

My best friend's a Canadian! He was very sad about the Jays not making it to the World Series.

The MP Seekers aren't cheating on the cockpit, but rather the nosecone, specifically for the coneheads. Which I'm OK with because, sure, the visual implies the nosecone becomes the head... but what if they just have pointy heads???

megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby william-james88 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Indeed, when I said fake cockpit, I meant front of the plane, but I should have been more clear by simply saying nosecone. So to rectify, I believe a fake nosecone is a copout, especially on a masterpiece toy, and it could have been rectified by making a new mold. Sure, it could be that they just have pointy heads, but then in that case, we still shouldnt see another nosecone between his legs. Kinda like how at least with MP 10, we dont see his alt mode grill on his back somewhere.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby padfoo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Weapon: Concussion Cannon
Mad Max Fury Road is one of the best movies of this decade...... You don't need a lengthy exposition to have a great movie there's a lot going on here that breaks away from the common structure of movies today....
padfoo
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Strength: 8
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby megatronus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:34 pm

padfoo wrote:Mad Max Fury Road is one of the best movies of this decade...... You don't need a lengthy exposition to have a great movie there's a lot going on here that breaks away from the common structure of movies today....

Thank goodness, a Seibertronian who agrees with me!
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby william-james88 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:19 pm

megatronus wrote:
padfoo wrote:Mad Max Fury Road is one of the best movies of this decade...... You don't need a lengthy exposition to have a great movie there's a lot going on here that breaks away from the common structure of movies today....

Thank goodness, a Seibertronian who agrees with me!

I just didnt want to annoy Scotty by talking more about it, but I love that film too. You get a great sense of the world by getting that slice of it, I wish more movies were that way. Probably the best film this year.

william-james88
News Staff

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0823IM478 5C (CA) Manhanini"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI Joe: THE FALL OF GI JOE #3 IDW Comics 2014 200210a"
GI Joe: THE FALL O ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 302C 1023IM319 (CA)Walker"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0923IM464 6A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #8 Cvr C IDW Comics 2017 8C (CA) Whalen (W) Sitterson 230227"
GI JOE #8 Cvr C ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 0124IM330 7E (CA) Walta (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE COBRA WORLD ORDER PRELUDE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Mooney 230227"
GI JOE COBRA WORLD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #276 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 276B (CA) Shearer 230607B"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs GI JOE #1 Cvr Sub IDW Comics 2014 1SUB (CA) Stokoe 230124"
TRANSFORMERS vs GI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 JUN230375 3A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr E 1:50 Quintesson Image Comics 0823IM480 5E (CA) Lee 231010Q"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 5th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM892 (CA) Lindsay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 5th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 5th ptg Image Comics 2024 1023IM893 (CA) Lindsay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 5th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #3 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 3E GI JOE 1223IM275 (CA) Kerschl"
DUKE #3 Cvr E 1:50 ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Bumblebee  (Chevrolet Camaro)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON