This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #147 "In Flanders Fields"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #147 "In Flanders Fields"

Postby ScottyP » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
The Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast returns with Episode 0. That's right, this special edition podcast is a pilot for a new concept, the Mainframes podcast, focusing purely on the world of Transformers comics in an in-depth way. The globe spanning crew of Twincast / Podcast host Scotty P, comics expert and t-shirt guru Mr. Starscream, and Seibertron.com's very own News Administrator Dr. Va'al look to start this new project out with a bang by diving deep into More Than Meets The Eye Issue #53 from IDW Publishing.

Episode #147 "In Flanders Fields" is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on iTunes and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Things get going with the first pages of setup, with Ratchet and Velocity setting the stage for the events to come. The call backs go way, way back and the crew takes some time to reflect on the world-building that's taken place.

Got his hands back, but can't decide on a head crest look yet.

More catching up comes next as we take a look into what Brainstorm and some others are up to. Friendship takes center stage, with some of the Lost Light's cast coming closer together while others are set to depart on a different adventure.

Well of course we are, podcasting is fun!

The first round of massive speculation takes over next. Are the missing glasses pointing to something? Or is regular cleaning of the optic sensors just good hygiene?

Just call me "LadiesMan217"

The big reveal of big reveals surrounding a certain character gets brought up as we proceed through the events of the issue. Years of plot threads collide, with yet more speculation about what it all means to events past and future.

Look, I'm not giving it away in a thumbnail in the middle of a news post, ok?

After the scene shifts, it's time to pick up with our villains and take stock of the odds against our heroes. Is there any chance? No. They have tanks with Decepticon symbols on them. Nothing else screams "Hopeless" like freaking tanks with Decepticon symbols on them.

That guy on the right's got quite a plan.

Mr. Starscream then leads the way as we all ponder exactly who could have brought back the evil Overlord, and what their intentions possibly could have been. Get ready to bounce back to the Season 1 finale as we analyze what it might all mean.

A penchant for Roman sculpture, perhaps?

Robot romance and hyperactivity come up next, with a two page spread leading to deep conversations about behavior and emotion. Tune in as we look at everyone's favorite clockmaker get bored, and everyone's favorite purple former-Decepticon get romantic.

All over your guns because they are guns and he needs them.

Megatron had to come up at some point, as we take a look at his tale of redemption and try to relate it back to other themes such as addiction. Also: is there actually something physically wrong with him, or is it all a physical manifestation of a disease of the mind?

Surprisingly, no additional uppercut required this time.

We close the show with a discussion about where More Than Meets The Eye stands in the pantheon of Transformers comic history, and then we take some of your questions sent in on social media.

Will anyone take a 'stand' on this topic?

We hope you enjoyed this "pilot" episode of potential Twincast / Podcast spin-off Mainframes, and be sure to listen towards the end of the episode to hear how to help make more episodes a reality! We won't get to make more of this type of show if you don't tell us you want it, so please, let us know if you do. We'll see you in the discussion thread which you can join in on by replying to this very news post.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #147 "In Flanders Fields"

Postby Starscream » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Look at all the riveting discussion we've fostered!!
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby ScottyP » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Starscream wrote:Look at all the riveting discussion we've fostered!!
:-(

Maybe we covered too much?
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Doctor McGrath » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 am

Motto: "This is quick but not quite painless.."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
Took me a couple days to get through it bc my commute isn't too long but I quite enjoyed it. Pretty fun speculation & you seccussfulky made me feel bad about my reading habits.
El Duque wrote:Quite a firestorm I started here :michaelbay:
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from Doctor McGrath on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby ScottyP » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

Doctor McGrath wrote:Took me a couple days to get through it bc my commute isn't too long but I quite enjoyed it. Pretty fun speculation & you seccussfulky made me feel bad about my reading habits.
Glad you liked it, but dang man didn't mean to make you feel bad! I've been one to hard sell this book since around issue 4 (basically shoved copies into a buddy's hands when he left a meetup and was like "YOU HAVE TO READ THESE") so I don't always notice when I do it :lol:
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:56 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
You know...I'm only critical because I care.

Also, Linkage is great because of Stella.
StellaCar.jpg
StellaCar.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 13354 times

But...

I think MTMtE is going to ultimately be one of if not the best stories/storyarcs because of how it has changed public recognition of Transformers. I think the question that was asked on this really only has that as an ultimate conclusion. There's too much going for the book and it does many things that fans have wanted over the years.

However...

I want to give special recognition to "Infiltration." When it came out, that book/story really put Transformers back to its roots of robots in disguise and took a measured approach to the story telling in contrast to what Dreamwave had been doing. Autobot reluctance, Megatron being methodical, and the internal conflict of the Decepticons was genuinely interesting.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Doctor McGrath » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 am

ScottyP wrote:
Doctor McGrath wrote:Took me a couple days to get through it bc my commute isn't too long but I quite enjoyed it. Pretty fun speculation & you seccussfulky made me feel bad about my reading habits.
Glad you liked it, but dang man didn't mean to make you feel bad! I've been one to hard sell this book since around issue 4 (basically shoved copies into a buddy's hands when he left a meetup and was like "YOU HAVE TO READ THESE") so I don't always notice when I do it :lol:

No no, I was referring to my attention to detail. I'm sure reading this book on my iPhone screen doesn't help but you all pick out so much detail that I just don't see unless it's pointed out to me. Pretty impressive actually.

Agree with your thoughts on Infiltration CP, actually all the -ation books. Those books introduced human characters a that weren't super annoying as well.
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt

Postby Starscream » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:28 pm

I would argue that MTMTE does such a good job of incorporating the original IDW source material that they are all part of the same umbrella. It just depends how you want to slice the pie of Transformers comics. So when you say that MTMTE is the best, you could surmise that you are giving the entire whole of the G1 IDW story run just as much recognition.
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Doctor McGrath » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Starscream wrote:I would argue that MTMTE does such a good job of incorporating the original IDW source material that they are all part of the same umbrella. It just depends how you want to slice the pie of Transformers comics. So when you say that MTMTE is the best, you could surmise that you are giving the entire whole of the G1 IDW story run just as much recognition.

I don't completely disagree but I think Barber incorporates way more of the original IDW stuff than Roberts. MTMTE is its own run IMO.
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt

Postby SG Roadbuster » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:14 pm

you mention how much Whirl tends to over-emote via body language. I think he does this to compensate for the lack of expression he has due to his empurata.

he have a single in place of a face, that means no eyes to wink, no mouth to smile or snarl, no eyebrows to waggle. so he has to do all of that through body language.
SG Roadbuster
Minibot

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:12 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Doctor McGrath wrote:
Starscream wrote:I would argue that MTMTE does such a good job of incorporating the original IDW source material that they are all part of the same umbrella. It just depends how you want to slice the pie of Transformers comics. So when you say that MTMTE is the best, you could surmise that you are giving the entire whole of the G1 IDW story run just as much recognition.

I don't completely disagree but I think Barber incorporates way more of the original IDW stuff than Roberts. MTMTE is its own run IMO.

While I agree with this, I would also argue that here also lies its issue: MTMTE has set itself as almost its own universe, to the point that it can be hard to keep track of all the MTMTEness ramifications - as we said on the episode!

That is still the one big downnpoint, and it's particularly true for 'season 2', I feel.

SG Roadbuster wrote:you mention how much Whirl tends to over-emote via body language. I think he does this to compensate for the lack of expression he has due to his empurata.

he have a single in place of a face, that means no eyes to wink, no mouth to smile or snarl, no eyebrows to waggle. so he has to do all of that through body language.

Very much so, yes! It's just extremely amusing that he does it so incredibly theatrically. :D

Also, this is one of my favourite scenes in Spotlight: Trailcutter, to the point that I used in my thesis, where he's mocking TC's 'forcefield face'.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:49 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
This was thoroughly entertaining. You guys do tend to catch little bits that I've missed and your collective memory for the history of the arcs puts me to shame, so this helped me go "Ooooh." followed by "Oooooooh!" usually followed by "Crap, how'd I miss that?!?" so more of these would be most welcome!

Additionally, I would say MTMTE is a great arc. It's the one I really look forward to and is the one I read last when my order arrives through the mail so I can savour it.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Va'al » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Big Grim wrote:This was thoroughly entertaining. You guys do tend to catch little bits that I've missed and your collective memory for the history of the arcs puts me to shame, so this helped me go "Ooooh." followed by "Oooooooh!" usually followed by "Crap, how'd I miss that?!?" so more of these would be most welcome!

Ha! Starscream is REALLY well prepared, and I did a full MTMTE re-read the two days before we recorded, so that may count as cheating. :P

But yeah, thanks for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed it!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Big Grim wrote:This was thoroughly entertaining. You guys do tend to catch little bits that I've missed and your collective memory for the history of the arcs puts me to shame, so this helped me go "Ooooh." followed by "Oooooooh!" usually followed by "Crap, how'd I miss that?!?" so more of these would be most welcome!

Additionally, I would say MTMTE is a great arc. It's the one I really look forward to and is the one I read last when my order arrives through the mail so I can savour it.
Not gonna lie, it took some repeated, critical, slow readings to catch some of this stuff. The book is so dense, when taken on the whole, that it seems almost impossible to get it all. This is great though, can read stuff months later and it's almost like new again!
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Hah, preparation is key then! :) Gotta say, I'll have to go back and read them myself. It is awesome when you re-read stuff and pick up on the clues that were there all along but you never noticed them. I think I'll have to go back and read them as you guys did! Cheers!
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
What has been challenging for me is that these comics have truly integrated their art and words to relay the stories.

Most comics I skim the art and read the words. If I do that with MTMtE, I only get part of the story. It really is an adjustment to slow down (because I read the written word very fast) and take in the entire panel.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby palmcd » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Awesome episode.

Do it again
palmcd
Mini-Con

Postby Va'al » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 pm

palmcd wrote:Awesome episode.

Do it again

Yay! Thank you! :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby necr0blivion » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:06 am

I liked the format of this episode, and it was a nice change of pace from listening to the usual podcast. It also helps because I usually delay reading my books a bit and then when I pull up the latest podcast I have to stop listening or else hear spoilers. So thank you for this opportunity to catch up with my reading and then get some excellent analysis out of it all.
necr0blivion
Gestalt
Speed: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #2 Cover A IDW Comics 2019 2A AUG190762 (CA) Ramondelli"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #24 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200535 24B (CA) Goux"
TRANSFORMERS #24 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #45 RE IDW Comics 2015 210411A (CA) Coller"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #1 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926K"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #7 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0224IM314 7B (CA) Johnson"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #7 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUL210494 35RI (CA) Gauntt (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #15 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 BOLD NEW ERA 15B (CA) Burcham SEP190684"
TRANSFORMERS #15 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "REVOLUTION TRANSFORMERS ONE-SHOT Sub Cover IDW Comics 2016 (CA) Griffith 230124"
REVOLUTION TRANSFO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM324 5B (CA) Stokoe"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #25 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of OPTIMUS PRIME #1 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210461 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ALL HAIL MEGATRON #16 Cvr A IDW Comics 2009 16A (CA) Guidi"
Transformers ALL H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222R"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUL210493 35A (CA) Samu (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 C ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON