This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers Comics - Road to Unicron

Postby Silverwing » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Randomhero wrote:The remains of Cybertron are in his right hand

Oh, man I hadn't noticed that! After all the Transformers have been through to rebuild and stabilize their home, to have it just torn to shreds like that... it's tragic. I actually feel sad for them right now.
Silverwing
Micromaster

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:07 pm

It’s not really the end. Like I’ve said before that’s how all big events and stuff like this market it.

It’s like when Marvel did Unicron and one of the most famous Marvel covers is him eating everyone and when Dreamwave did him the big cover was him crushing the transformers logo with everyone defeated and dead around him.

COMICS PEOPLE! MARKETING! WE NEED TO BOOST SALES!
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:23 pm

I just hate it when he turns into a robot. while it looks awesome he doesnt do anything. In the movie he transformed smacked cybertorn and kinda just stood around and swatted attackers and the dinobots that were attacking his but until he blew up. In marvel he showed up, stomped on the planet, puked on scorponok, ate brainstorm and then stood around till thunderwing showed up and then transformed into a planet to eat the cybertron. In the Armada cartoon he just stood there till he disappeared. Devil Due GI Joe VS Transformers again, he stood there.

when he showed up in the armada comics and didnt transform i was 18 and annoyed because he didnt transform but 15 years later i get it. Turning into a giant robot is just dumb! you really cant do anything with it.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Lore Keeper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 pm

I'm still holding out hope that they're being hyperbolic. I really do not want this continuity to end. Regardless of how much anyone likes or dislikes it, there's no debating that this is the most fleshed out continuity in Transformers history. There is so much time and detail invested in this universe, to see it all go away and be replaced with something else just feels like a loss for fans all over. Plus, let's be honest, given Hasbro's track record for following up it's most acclaimed series (G1 to G2, Beast Wars to Beast Machines, TF Prime to RID), it will very likely be a huge drop in quality. This comic series has kept me interested through all the RID'15, movie, and Machinima garbage over recent years. It almost feels like the big kids just aren't allowed to have nice things.
Lore Keeper
Headmaster
News Credits: 11

Postby JazZeke » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Motto: "Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
I'm kind of in shock. This is affecting me more deeply than I thought it would. I mean, it feels like a shame to just throw out eight years’ worth of great continuity (the comics have been running for twelve years, but McCarthy and Costas’ runs were garbage and don’t count).

But on a personal level, it feels like I’m loosing yet another connection to my younger, more innocent self. I mean geez, it just hit me that these comics started when I was just 18. That’s my entire adult life so far, man. IDW got the license while I was at the height of my comics collecting and involvement with the Transformers fandom, around the same time when I started up the Transformers RPG site that changed my life, helped me meet both of my girlfriends and made me decide I wanted to become a writer.

I’ve gotten behind in the comics because of finances, but I catch up when I can. It’s the end of an era, not just for some comic license, but for me personally. It’s a lot to process.
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 10
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Dont have long to write, just wanted to say that this is not the design I had in mind. I was hoping for something with less spikes. We will see how it goes, but this feels very 90s to me. I cant believe its drawn by Milne and not Mark Silvestri.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 pm

william-james88 wrote:Dont have long to write, just wanted to say that this is not the design I had in mind. I was hoping for something with less spikes. We will see how it goes, but this feels very 90s to me. I cant believe its drawn by Milne and not Mark Silvestri.

Well what do you expect from the guy who made the designs for the Tarn, Chief Justice Tyrest and Stardive. All of whom are covered in spikes.

Let’s keep in mind Milne did not design most of the characters from MTMTE. Nick did. Alex Milne isn’t the most creative in the design department sometimes. For a very long time he just mimicked other artists design quirks. If you have or can find the Dreamwave Armada character books you can See Alex Milne when he first drew transformers and they are very different to what he ended up doing when he was out on a book because he started copying Don Figeroas style to almost ripping him off. When don started putting little bit notches on transformers noses, Alex started doing it. When don started putting vents on the hands all of a sudden Alex started adding vents to the hands. When don started putting hydraulics under the arms, Alex started putting them on too. There’s a very specific reason they had Alex take over TF ongoing when Don jumped ship and never looked back. When Alex was placed on mtmte he stared simplifying his art to look like nicks art. More stylized, less detail much more expressive.

I mean look at issue two cover to mtmte with Rodimus in it. Rodimus looks like he’s infected by a dire wraith lol
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby partholon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 am

Starting to look like they're hedging their bets on losing the licence (who's contract is up the end of this year from what I've heard) and want to be able to tie everything up neatly.

It's certainly not looking like the usual "event" to me.

Tbh I'm conflicted. The ations and parts of MTMTE / rid were brilliant.

But by christ the recent stuff has suffered from pc tripe that's hit their quality. If it goes to another company or we get back to basics It could be the best thing to happen.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:30 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
If it does turn out to be the end of IDW's license and yet another thing that Disney purchases for Marvel, I wouldn't buy a single issue. I refuse to support a monopolising force in the industry.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby Galactic Prime » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 am

JazZeke wrote:I'm kind of in shock. This is affecting me more deeply than I thought it would. I mean, it feels like a shame to just throw out eight years’ worth of great continuity

Where is this 8 years of great continuity? We've had nothing but but a decade of crap.
Galactic Prime
Fuzor

Postby Randomhero » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 am

:DANCE:
partholon wrote:Starting to look like they're hedging their bets on losing the licence (who's contract is up the end of this year from what I've heard) and want to be able to tie everything up neatly.

It's certainly not looking like the usual "event" to me.

Tbh I'm conflicted. The ations and parts of MTMTE / rid were brilliant.

But by christ the recent stuff has suffered from pc tripe that's hit their quality. If it goes to another company or we get back to basics It could be the best thing to happen.

They’re not losing anything. The relationship with hasbro and IDW keeps growing not dwindling
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby megamanfan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:04 am

Silverwing wrote:

Oh, man I hadn't noticed that! After all the Transformers have been through to rebuild and stabilize their home, to have it just torn to shreds like that... it's tragic. I actually feel sad for them right now.

actually, taking a closer look at the darker parts on unicron... it looks like he IS cybertron :shock:
megamanfan
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Galactic Prime wrote:
JazZeke wrote:I'm kind of in shock. This is affecting me more deeply than I thought it would. I mean, it feels like a shame to just throw out eight years’ worth of great continuity

Where is this 8 years of great continuity? We've had nothing but but a decade of crap.

In your questionable opinion.

The IDWverse has been some of the greatest and most original Transformers story telling we've ever had. I'm very sorry you don't see it.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+

Postby Agent 53 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:48 am

Okay, where does it say this is the end, it's the culmination of 12 years of work and a conclusion to some artists work on the franchise but they are not saying it's the end. We've seen near doomsdays before, Chaos and Dark Cybertron and the Transformers prevailed, and considering that not only has the IDW comicverse been more integrated into the Generations toy line since the 30th anniversary and the fact that other hasbro properties have been more ingrained into the universe over the last 2 years it becomes increasingly less likely that they are going to cancel it and more likely that this will just be an amazing experience.
On a second note, Unicron looks BADASS!
Agent 53
Minibot

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:59 am

Always Guilty..."
megamanfan wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The design is certainly... Busy

he is a planet, after all. i would be surprised (and disappointed) if he was simple.

I dunno. Outer Shell, yes that's fine but robot mode should be more understated (from a distance). Otherwise he looks like Atlas..

AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Randomhero » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:04 am

megamanfan wrote:
Silverwing wrote:

actually, taking a closer look at the darker parts on unicron... it looks like he IS cybertron :shock:

We’ve already seen Unicron as a planet. He’s not the original design. His planet mode is very organic. He’s been laying dormant around a black hole.

Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:23 am

Always Guilty..."
Elephant in the room time!

Will HE be factored into this? IDWverse does love to pay homage to the past, good bits and bad...
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I doubt it, they seem to be playing this as primus and the thirteen style so unicron will probably end up as primus brother. Homaging more the marvel comic than the toon. Trust you to bring him up though lol
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby bluecatcinema » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Now that is one epic new look for our favorite Chaos Bringer.
bluecatcinema
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Galactic Prime » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Ironhidensh wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

The IDWverse has been some of the greatest and most original Transformers story telling we've ever had. I'm very sorry you don't see it.

I'm sorry you can't see how crappy it's been. Again, answer the question, where is the 8 years of great story telling? Was it in the amazing decision to have the characters act completely out of character?

Was it in the decision to end the war the comic should actually be about?

Was it in the decision to go all political and PC with everything and having it look like a rejected USA society?

Which aspect of it was great?
Galactic Prime
Fuzor

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Is there any point in giving you an example since you have already made up your mind? It would be like someone trying to tell me the virtues of the dreamwave series, wouldnt matter a dot, it is inferior in every way.

Instead why do you feel the characters have to act as certain way? New continuities in transformers is nothing new, and that's what idw is, a new continuity. It never pretended to be a replacement for the g1 toon and comic, they are still there. If you don't like it fine, but there are those of us who aren't going in to idw expecting it to tread old ground that's already well worn. What would be the point? Seeing megatron be more evil? Seen it. A thousand times seen it. Megatron struggling with his conscience? That's new, gimme more of that. Let the characters go beyond their bios, let them grow and develop. Let them question their alligances, commitment to their cause. Worse comes to worse you don't have to support them, but at least agree to disagree with those that do support them.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Galactic Prime » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:57 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:Is there any point in giving you an example since you have already made up your mind? It would be like someone trying to tell me the virtues of the dreamwave series, wouldnt matter a dot, it is inferior in every way.

You didn't type that with a straight face did you? Because the Dreamwave stuff was leagues better in every way, especially art.

But yes, an example of what someone liked would be nice, that is the point of a discussion thread. Instead all you hear is, THIS IS GREAT, when it simply isn't.

ZeroWolf wrote:Instead why do you feel the characters have to act as certain way? New continuities in transformers is nothing new, and that's what idw is, a new continuity. It never pretended to be a replacement for the g1 toon and comic, they are still there. If you don't like it fine, but there are those of us who aren't going in to idw expecting it to tread old ground that's already well worn. What would be the point? Seeing megatron be more evil? Seen it. A thousand times seen it. Megatron struggling with his conscience? That's new, gimme more of that. Let the characters go beyond their bios, let them grow and develop. Let them question their alligances, commitment to their cause. Worse comes to worse you don't have to support them, but at least agree to disagree with those that do support them.

What deems the characters to act a certain way? How about if they don't want people to expect them to act like their G1 incarnations then you don't draw them like them.

That's why. The characters have very unique personalities in G1 that make them very interesting, moreso than what they've done with them in IDW. Everyone acts the same in these books, they're all back stabbing betraying murderous asshats.

The only interesting characters they've had they kill off or hardly use.
Galactic Prime
Fuzor

Postby Randomhero » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Galactic Prime wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Is there any point in giving you an example since you have already made up your mind? It would be like someone trying to tell me the virtues of the dreamwave series, wouldnt matter a dot, it is inferior in every way.

You didn't type that with a straight face did you? Because the Dreamwave stuff was leagues better in every way, especially art.

But yes, an example of what someone liked would be nice, that is the point of a discussion thread. Instead all you hear is, THIS IS GREAT, when it simply isn't.

ZeroWolf wrote:Instead why do you feel the characters have to act as certain way? New continuities in transformers is nothing new, and that's what idw is, a new continuity. It never pretended to be a replacement for the g1 toon and comic, they are still there. If you don't like it fine, but there are those of us who aren't going in to idw expecting it to tread old ground that's already well worn. What would be the point? Seeing megatron be more evil? Seen it. A thousand times seen it. Megatron struggling with his conscience? That's new, gimme more of that. Let the characters go beyond their bios, let them grow and develop. Let them question their alligances, commitment to their cause. Worse comes to worse you don't have to support them, but at least agree to disagree with those that do support them.

What deems the characters to act a certain way? How about if they don't want people to expect them to act like their G1 incarnations then you don't draw them like them.

That's why. The characters have very unique personalities in G1 that make them very interesting, moreso than what they've done with them in IDW. Everyone acts the same in these books, they're all back stabbing betraying murderous asshats.

The only interesting characters they've had they kill off or hardly use.

the art was better huh?

also i hate to break it to you but the characters in G1 have several different personalities depending on your fiction.

in the cartoon Prowl was a soldier and all around good guy. In the marvel he was sometimes cold and logical and did everything based on number, his toy bio reflected that. IDW based prowl off his toy and marvel bio.

Shockwave was originally depicted as a cold being who only believed in logic. Marvel IDW even somewhat of DW did it, cartoon? hes megatrons butler.

Soundwave in the cartoon is Megatrons most loyal soldier. in marvel comics and toy hes depicted as someone whos always listening to dig up dirt and blackmail anyone to benefit himself. IDW merged all the charcteristics.

Grimlock. Cartoon he and the dinobots are idiots and are nothing but muscle to the autobots and by season three were borderline mentally challanged and comic relief. EVERY other depiction has then being bad boys that are actually smart, ruthless tough guys who break rules once in a while becuase they dont agree with orders.

i hate to break it to you but IDW for the most part has been more faithful to characters than most fiction. the Cartoon ignored most of their characters backgrounds that were all created by Bob Budianski unless they got an individual episode about them but immediately after were forgotten.

but lets also go back to better art shall we?

squat post where limbs are not actually attached to the bodies

squat pose

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:G1_Vol.1_Issue2_1.jpg

squat pose bumblebees feet are bigger than his body. also whats going on with cliffjumpers feet behid bee? they literally floating infront of his body

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/7/77/G1_Vol.1_Issue3_1.jpg

squat pose again just look at Bumblebee. jesus...and look at prime. what is even going on here?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:G1_Vol.2_Issue1_1.jpg

lets take a look at this piece of interior by supposedly the president and founder of Dreamwave Pat lee. i say supposedly because its Pat Lee and he was having artists draw the comics and putting name on the books.

Optimus has three tires on one side and 2 on another and theyre not even located where tires on a truck would be.

Yup? much superior art from 16 years ago than what we get now.
Last edited by Randomhero on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Galactic Prime wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

I'm sorry you can't see how crappy it's been. Again, answer the question, where is the 8 years of great story telling? Was it in the amazing decision to have the characters act completely out of character?

Was it in the decision to go all political and PC with everything and having it look like a rejected USA society?

In no articular order:

The flashbacks to life before the war.

The characters who continue to grow as events happen, not just stay locked in stone.

The focus and spotlight given to lesser know secondary characters.

The depictions of characters dealing with war trauma.

Rung.

The ending of the war and the after effects.

The nails coming back.

The bad guys not simply being generic evil dudes.

I could go on, but I think it would be a wasted effort. Look brother, I don't mind you not liking these books. You can even hate them if you want. Just stop telling me that I have to think they are crap. I don't and I won't.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+

Postby Randomhero » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Ironhidensh wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

In no articular order:

The flashbacks to life before the war.

The characters who continue to grow as events happen, not just stay locked in stone.

The focus and spotlight given to lesser know secondary characters.

The depictions of characters dealing with war trauma.

Rung.

The ending of the war and the after effects.

The nails coming back.

The bad guys not simply being generic evil dudes.

I could go on, but I think it would be a wasted effort. Look brother, I don't mind you not liking these books. You can even hate them if you want. Just stop telling me that I have to think they are crap. I don't and I won't.

you hit it right on the nail. one of the best aspects of IDW has been ending the war and answering the question "what next?" because yopu can only do so much with them being at war. also yes, making the decepticons and autobots very grey. Giving the Decepticons an actual reason for fighting instead "were evil because we are" Soundwave and Needlenose are honestly the best decepticons in IDW because they just want to be accepted and live in peace with everyone as equals and have actual character
Randomhero
Gestalt

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #75 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0823IM323 75B (CA) Adlard + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #66 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 MAY230294 66D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #74 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0823IM320 74C (CA) Williams III"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #14 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 MAR210240 14C (CA) Rapoza"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #9 Cvr M LTD Dynamite Comics 2022 DEC210654 9M (CA) Celina"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #2 Cvr G unlockable Boom Comics 2021 SEP210776 2G (CA) Shehan"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #25 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 AUG210056 25C (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #3 Cvr A Boom Comics 2021 OCT210721 3A (CA) Shehan"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #85 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0124IM334 85A (CA) Finch + McCaig"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #4 Cvr I 1:25 Dynamite Comics 2021 4i 210914E (CA) Linsner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr G 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2022 NOV210586 8G (CA) Conner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #81 Cvr C Image Comics 2024 1123IM356 81C (CA) Santolouco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #2 Cvr A Boom Comics 2021 SEP210770 2A (CA) Shehan"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #6 Cvr R FOC 1:11 Dynamite Comics 2021 6R (CA) Haeser"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations, Platinum Edition, One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Infinitus and Sentinel Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON