This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Postby Va'al » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
ScottyP wrote:
Va'al wrote:Which I'm quite happy to be fine with - I don't need all the answers, I'm okay with that - just an extra question buzzing around my head.
I really do want to know how and why Galvatron cared enough about Onyx's "return" to reference it just before dying. I don't expect to find out.

To get a bizarre supervillain character trait back as reference in this week's comic..?

But true, I don't really care about, say, what happened to the Predacons after Revolutionaries. "Destro sent them to live on a farm" is my accepted canon.

Nsh, it's a plot of land next to a steelworks plant. Y'know, for the flames.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I now unicron 6# to end with a panel of the Predacons living next near that plant...
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby william-james88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Dammit, I only read Lost Light (and TAAO) and now in this Unicron issue I learn that Shockwave founded the original 13 primes, W T F??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Where/when was this revealed?

Also, I wasnt too fond of this issue. I feel like not much happened, even though Caminus blew up. Also kinda pissed that the beast wars characters are all just cannon fodder.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 am

william-james88 wrote:Dammit, I only read Lost Light (and TAAO) and now in this Unicron issue I learn that Shockwave founded the original 13 primes, W T F??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Also, I wasnt too fond of this issue. I feel like not much happened, even though Caminus blew up. Also kinda pissed that the beast wars characters are all just cannon fodder.
The Shockwave stuff was in Optimus Prime's "The Falling" arc, which wraps up tomorrow. Yay scheduling?

I'd be more upset with the Beast Wars crew if the continuity weren't ending. At least now they're getting to make an appearance at all!
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
ScottyP wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Dammit, I only read Lost Light (and TAAO) and now in this Unicron issue I learn that Shockwave founded the original 13 primes, W T F??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The Shockwave stuff was in Optimus Prime's "The Falling" arc, which wraps up tomorrow. Yay scheduling?

I'd be more upset with the Beast Wars crew if the continuity weren't ending. At least now they're getting to make an appearance at all!

Ok, will read up on that then.

And did you notice that the evergreen designs are popping up in the comics. I know you hypothesised that these designs were to unify the look in the reboot to the comics but we are seeing them now in both Shockwave and Bumblebee. That Shockwave looks just like the cyberverse toy we are getting.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers Comics - Road to Unicron

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Daniel Adkins wrote:Well of course you aren’t going to care about the events of the finale if you didn’t actually read the stuff that came before. You don’t care about the deaths Mad-Eye Moody, Tonks and Lupin, Dobby, or Hedwig if you start reading Harry Potter at the Deathly Hallows.

In Spotlight: Galvatron, did you care when Leadfoot died?

This is Unicron's story, hence his name in the title. That's all you need to know.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am

Not sure I understand the reference when lead foot only appeared just to die a page or so later...though while I'm here I now fully understand why unicron was summoned in the first place and I think in terms of silliness it really does take the biscuit. The fact that everything from here on out is (the character in question) fault
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

Always Guilty..."
The death in #1 to me was just another Leadfoot. I'm reading this for Unicron, so the preamble from OP/LL doesn't really interest me beyond that.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Ah now I see your debate better, Dan is arguing you would care about the deaths if you were more invested whole you, as you say, are only there for unicron.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Always Guilty..."
Exactly. I tapped out of IDWverse because I didn't like what was being done in MTMTE/LL/RiD/OP. Reading the occasional story in the TF Part-Work, I still don't. But Unicron, is one of those characters that gives me real nostalgia and genuine excitement.

I like larger than life concepts. Which is why I prefer the Cybertronian cars and spaceships of G1 Post-Movie over the Earth-Based altmodes, from before it. Those I always found generic and boring. You don't get more 'larger than life' than a Transforming Planet.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Re: IDW Transformers Comics - Road to Unicron

Postby Daniel Adkins » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:30 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:Well of course you aren’t going to care about the events of the finale if you didn’t actually read the stuff that came before. You don’t care about the deaths Mad-Eye Moody, Tonks and Lupin, Dobby, or Hedwig if you start reading Harry Potter at the Deathly Hallows.

In Spotlight: Galvatron, did you care when Leadfoot died?

This is Unicron's story, hence his name in the title. That's all you need to know.

See, that's your problem right there. This isn't a story about Unicron. It's a story about how Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Windblade, Starscream and everyone else RESPONDS to Unicron, much in the same way the original Godzilla isn't about the titular monster as a character, but about the reactions of the people. Again, this is the finale of years worth of stories.

Also, your Leadfoot point is shifting goalposts and a really weak argument.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron

Postby Va'al » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks to iTunes, we have a short three-page preview of the next issue of the series to end all series in the IDW publishing Transformers comics - Unicron #2, due out in the next couple of weeks. Check it out below, and join the conversation!

Bumblebee investigates a dark corner of Cybertron’s past, searching for answers: what is Unicron, and why does it want to destroy Cybertron? Meanwhile, Windblade scrambles to figure out a plan as Chromia makes her return—with a Decepticon fleet in pursuit!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby steve2275 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
oooohhhhhh the art :-D
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Well it was nice to see bludgeon again before all the cons get wiped...though I always thought bludgeon would be one to end up throwing in his lot with unicron, cest la vie
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Sunstar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Motto: "All hail Lord Starscream"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Go screamer go! Go screamer go! I want to fight for you my darling flier <3
"We, Decepticons, are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun." - Starscream
"You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose auto-mobile as his vehicle mode when he could have flight." - Starscream
"For a guy hearing voices of the dead, you've got a pretty insensitive view of Mental Health" - Bumblebee
Starscream's Shrine ~ Fan Art ~Collection~Sunstar's Discord - join today!
Sunstar
Gestalt
News Credits: 38
Alt Mode: Tetra Jet
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:Well it was nice to see bludgeon again before all the cons get wiped...though I always thought bludgeon would be one to end up throwing in his lot with unicron, cest la vie

I believe he was referring to shockwave as his master in OP. Makes sense he’s back under the Decepticons. Starscream fixed him and now he serves him.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Ful Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #2

Postby Va'al » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 am

Out this week with IDW Publishing are three new issues in their Transformers comics as we rush towards the end of it all in the Summer of Transformers - with our final preview below for the second chapter of the Transformers: Unicron mini-series that will bring an end to the IDW Hasbro universe as we currently know it.

Check out the preview and join the conversation in the Energon Pub discussion boards, and make sure to join us for the review discussion after the comic book is out this Wednesday!

Transformers: Unicron #2 (of 6)—Cover A: Alex Milne—GEM OF THE MONTH
John Barber (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
Bumblebee investigates a dark corner of Cybertron’s past, searching for answers: what is Unicron, and why does it want to destroy Cybertron? Meanwhile, Windblade scrambles to figure out a plan as Chromia makes her return—with a Decepticon fleet in pursuit!
FC • 32 pages • $4.99

Transformers: Unicron #2 (of 6)—Cover B: James Raiz—GEM OF THE MONTH
John Barber (w) • Alex Milne (a) • James Raiz (c)
FC • 32 pages • $4.99

Bullet points:
Connecting B covers by James Raiz featuring destruction at the hands of Unicron!
The end of IDW Transformers as you know it! Not a hoax, not an imaginary story, just the end of the universe!
Covers by fan-favorite Transformers artists of the past decade!
Every oversized issue packed with bonus content!
Variant covers by Casey Coller, and Francesco Francavilla!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:01 am

Now that's interesting, will unicron be something that ancient cybertonians created (or more likely) be something that thy came across and woke up when they should have left be. Plus with the title 'strange eons' I'm getting small lovecraftian vibes...which I'm a-okay with!
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:25 am

ZeroWolf wrote:Now that's interesting, will unicron be something that ancient cybertonians created (or more likely) be something that thy came across and woke up when they should have left be. Plus with the title 'strange eons' I'm getting small lovecraftian vibes...which I'm a-okay with!

I love speculating about the comics but without unicron I just can’t. I don’t think he’s robot Satan and I don’t think Primus existed or was a god and I can’t even fathom what he is. I’m really going into this series with no speculations for once. I feel like Shockwave In Marvel when he see unicron and his brain breaks.

“Can’t...figure...out...logic...logic...not...makes...sense...”
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Silverwing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Decepticon Vengeance Division, eh? That's pretty cool! And the acronym is ironically funny. Who's afraid of the D.V.D.?
Silverwing
Micromaster

Postby Randomhero » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Oh god re the Decepticons pulling a nova corps from guardians of the galaxy!? That’s not gonna work guys!
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Review coming tomorrow once more from yours truly! 2 things are blocking me at the moment, and one of them is trying to figure out which 5 Skillet songs I plan to use for the issues and which one may work best since I have almost no clue.

BTW, The marriage of artist and colorist for the series is absolutely killer.
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

IDW Transformers: Unicron #2 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Falling Inside The Black
A Seibertron.com somewhat Spoilerish Review of IDW Transformers: Unicorn Issue #1

Synopsis

Tonight I'm so Alone, This Sorrow takes a hold

Story

And here we are again, on issue 2 of 6 of the grand IDW finale. Unicron is here. Unicron has killed planets and fan favorites. Unicron is unstoppable and unquestionably powerful.

Does part 2 of the tale live up to the hype? Just wait and see!

Your Touch used to be so kind, Your Touch used to give me Life

So to catch up, Issue 0 was the first attack by Unicron, and in a way Issue 1 was a longer version of 0 with some more material and more action and attack and Maximals. So issue 2 was the fallout, the scene of defeat, the realization that Unicron had no weakness and burns full bore for Cybertron now. And the way the different characters were placed in that context was quite enjoyable to read.

We get some good ole fashioned Starscream, to an extent. We get some optimistic Bumblebee, paired with the used to be equally as optimistic but still very eager to at least do something Aileron, and then Optimus, more Starscream, and the council. Old plotlines and characterizations continue, even older plotlines and characters make returns, and it all blends together quite well. We got some history, we got some resolutions, and we got more questions to be asked. And we got a killer final 2 pages.

Don't leave me alone, Cause I barely see at all

Story wise, Starscream is a standout here. Also important is Bludgeon, and his attack on Unicron and position in the grand scheme of things. At this point, Bludgeon is a con to keep an eye on, like really, go back and read all his adventures post Death of Optimus Prime, and then finish with this one.

Falling in the Black, Slipping through the Cracks

Finally, as a nod to the Hasbro Universe itself, we get 3 different stories worth of appearances and 2 different creation/backstories, with the 3rd actually being a back up comic featuring a well known Maximal and the final stand of Scarlett's Strike Force.

Is it a filler issue? Yes, it is. It is the lull between storms. Is it a boring or not overly good filler? Absolutely not. It gives us so much, it still gives action, it still has the characters, it still has all the moments, and it has the perfect build up and a great lead in to the next. It is serialized, but it does not suffer all that badly for it.

And in case you forgot, Skywarp is equally as fun as Starscream. Now all we needed was a Thundercracker appearance and we would have had seeker gold.

Dreaming of the Way it used to be, Can you hear me?

Art

Simply put, the marriage of artist and colorist for this series could not have been any more perfect. And this is not just me, this is the Seibertron.com review room talking here folks. You cannot beat the lines of Milne fused with the colors of Cheng. You can't, it's that simple.

Falling to the Depths can I ever go back?

The vast backgrounds and equally vast cast, the uniqueness of each Cybertronian's design, the fun of space and the grounds of Cybertron, it all looks and feels so good. And it owes everything to Milne and Cheng. They have done fantastic for all 3 Unicron titles released so far, and there is no indication that we should expect less in the remaining 4. And if the last page is anything to go by, epic will still fail to describe the coming events.

And a final nod to the important final part of the art team: Tom B. Long. Letters are so easy to overlook, but in this issue, between Bludgeon, Omega Supreme, and the rest of the cast, the letters get a chance to shine, and it is fantastic at how many different ways you can create a conversation.

Well done crew!

Final Thoughts

Falling Inside, Falling Inside.... The Black

As you can tell, this issue was mainly character driven, by interactions between characters fresh back for their final appearances. It has some action, some backstory, some main story, and bit of final payoffs. It was a good story with excellent art, and a great lead in that managed to not bore the audience nor make them think anything less than a good story is ahead.

With that all in mind, despite what we learned here, next issue cannot come soon enough. We have reached what appears to be the big moment fairly early in the story. While it may not be the climax of the story itself, it still will be big and fun, especially with characters by Barber and art by Milne, Cheng, and Long.

Have a score, and let's get on to that issue 3 folks.

:MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: out of :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL:

And finally, as with all Unicron reviews, we feature a Skillet song as the theme for this review, and ultimately for things to come.
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:17 am

Good review d-max! To think we're already a third of the way through this series...
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Va'al » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:23 am

Good stuff in here D-Max!

The way in which Starscream is being re-used, with Optimus Prime's reaction to it all, is a very nice way of playing with a character that has been established as mercurial but also considering the developments he's been through in recent stories.

I do wonder what on earth Bumblebee's role in all of this is, and I'm still not too keen on his return right now. Much as I wasn't with Shockwave. I mean, what's done is done, but still...

As for Unicron's true nature, and that organic character showing up - I know there's a lot of talk about that behind the scenes, but I don't know what I make of it. Yet. :-?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON MEGATRON Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ENERGON MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT SHOT Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
HOT SHOT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Dinobot GRIMLOCK Transformers Armada RID Dinobots complete + more 211023A"
Dinobot GRIMLOCK T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME PEN Transformers Energon Stylus Hasbro 2004 230427A"
OPTIMUS PRIME PEN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Warrior Class ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse 2018 New"
Warrior Class ENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 220813A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAND MILITARY MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
LAND MILITARY MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + Mini-con INCINERATOR Transformers Armada Super-Con complete 2002 190530a"
NEW!
BLURR + Mini-con I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYBLAST ROBOT MODE Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 190518"
SKYBLAST ROBOT MOD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINI-CON SKYBOOM Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 230427B"
MINI-CON SKYBOOM T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Keychain Flashlight Transformers Armada Hasbro 2004 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Keyc ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse Power Spark Warrior New"
ENERGON AXE ATTACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON