This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers gets Michael Bay Into the Billion Dollar Club

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Transformers gets Michael Bay Into the Billion Dollar Club

Postby Raymond T. » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Dutch movie site MovieAlert.com has added all the figures together and came to the following conclusion. Because of his work on the Transformers Movie, Michael Bay has become only the 13th person in movie making history to be part of the Director's Billion Dollar Club. With the boxoffice results Transformers has made thus far, added to what his previous movies, including Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys, has made domestically, Michael Bay's movies (as a director) have now collectively made over a billion dollars. Other movie directors in the Billion Dollar Club include George Lucas, Chris Columbus, Peter Jackson, Sam Raimi, Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, James Cameron, with Steven Spielberg leading the pack.
Last edited by Raymond T. on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond T.
Brainmaster
News Credits: 730
Location: Amsterdam, Northern Holland, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth (Sol III), The Sol Solar System.

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:25 pm

I feel all empty and hollow inside, knowing I helped Michael Bay join such an elite club...
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Burn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
i_amtrunks wrote:I feel all empty and hollow inside, knowing I helped Michael Bay join such an elite club...

Deeper down in that pit of emptyness ... you enjoyed doing it.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby General Magnus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:43 pm

I like most of Bay´s films. The Rock and Armageddon and now Transformers are in my top 10 favourite movies. 2,4 and 8 places.
General Magnus
Pretender
News Credits: 4

Postby Mr.RobotoAutoMan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:50 pm

bay was in the billion dollar club before he made transformers. hes was the youngest director to reach the billion dollar club
Mr.RobotoAutoMan
Combiner

Postby steve2275 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:02 pm

Motto: "it may not get better
but it wont get any worse"
yay bay
i come and go more than a hmw programmer
or a karma chameleon
BEAT L.A.
im content
WWWYKI!!!
steve2275
City Commander
Watch steve2275 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 2
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Megatron Wolf » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I like most of bays movies(except pearl harbor. that movie sucked.) but i feel that this will just inflate his ego even more now. And thats something no one needs to deal with.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Powermaster Jazz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Now maybe his undeserved reputation as a hack will be over.
Powermaster Jazz
Vehicon
News Credits: 8

Postby Nemesis_Apoc » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:15 pm

holy... sh*t... well, my friends, we have only ourselves to blame for such a blasphemous and unholy occurance... this will surely usher in the age of the great apocalypse upon humankind...

I Døden finnes all makt
Nemesis_Apoc
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Autobot Hero » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Megatron_Wolf wrote:I like most of bays movies(except pearl harbor. that movie sucked.) but i feel that this will just inflate his ego even more now. And thats something no one needs to deal with.

Yeahm, Pearl Harbor was horrible.
Autobot Hero
Mini-Con

Postby Burn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Nemesis_Apoc wrote:holy... sh*t... well, my friends, we have only ourselves to blame for such a blasphemous and unholy occurance... this will surely usher in the age of the great apocalypse upon humankind...

No no, that happens when Uwe Boll joins the club.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby wingdarkness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:01 pm

I get a mulligan for Bad Boys 1 (Bay had yet to give his soul to Satan at that point)...I did pay for the Rock which Bay produced so I'm still safe...I didn't pay for Transformers, told my friend either he paid or I'd never see it so that's not in my pocket...Watched Pearl Harbor on DVD and never saw the Island, So I gave Bay a grand total of approx. 8 bucks as a director...

So yeah I deserve death...

Edit: Damn he did direct "The Rock", thought that was Brukheimer...$hit I kinda liked that one...He produced ConAir which I really liked..So I gave Bay 16 bucks...I don't deserve an afterlife for admitting this...
Last edited by wingdarkness on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wingdarkness
Minibot

Postby Autobot032 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Whether or not you like his work, you have to give Bay credit for the following:

1.) He's a hell of a hard worker. He does put the work and time in.

2.) His movies are entertaining to the masses. Not every movie fits every audience, but all of his movies have entertained at least some people.

3.) He knows what he's doing. It's not just the director at fault when a movie sucks, it's the writers and the producers as well.

It's the old "too many cooks in the kitchen..." too many people changing, correcting, editing, etc and when it's all said and done, the movies are chopped. (TF is proof of this.)

The most glaring examples of chopped movies are: Highlander 2: The Quickening (the movie was taken from a little over 120 minutes and chopped (mercilessly) to 90 minutes.

And Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (anyone who's ever watched it on DVD saw there's a piece of footage not seen in the theaters, and when watched on TV, pieces from the theatrical and DVD versions are cut and new footage never seen is added in it's place.)

For Highlander, it was the producers and payroll for the movie studio that horrendously cut the film. For Ace, it was the director himself who felt the movie didn't need the pieces. (He was wrong, but he did it.)

So don't always blame Bay for how a movie is, it's not just his neck in the noose.

Armageddon was visually entertaining (the worldwide damage shots, and special effects were fantastic, so were the stunts.) but the story really really lacked. He didn't pen it, someone else did. It's not his fault that the script was hollow.

Same with TransFormers...sure, Rogers, Kurtzman and Orci could've made something deeper (especially after reading the leaked script from '06) but without Bay's input, the movie wouldn't have been nearly as long as it was (which was actually a good thing that it clocked in at 2.5 hours, had it been shorter, it would've been overkill and too much to process.) and it wouldn't have had the new pieces to the story that we never saw in the original script.

Bay added to it, not detracted from it. He did a fine job of directing it, he just could've done without the shaky cam crap.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Mr.RobotoAutoMan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:07 pm

wingdarkness wrote:I get a mulligan for Bad Boys 1 (Bay had yet to give his soul to Satan at that point)...I did pay for the Rock which Bay produced so I'm still safe...I didn't pay for Transformers, told my friend either he paid or I'd never see it so that's not in my pocket...Watched Pearl Harbor on DVD and never saw the Island, So I gave Bay a grand total of approx. 8 bucks as a director...

i have all of bays films including his 2 criterion collection. shall i came with you?
Mr.RobotoAutoMan
Combiner

Postby Autobot032 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Mr.RobotAutoMan wrote:
wingdarkness wrote:I get a mulligan for Bad Boys 1 (Bay had yet to give his soul to Satan at that point)...I did pay for the Rock which Bay produced so I'm still safe...I didn't pay for Transformers, told my friend either he paid or I'd never see it so that's not in my pocket...Watched Pearl Harbor on DVD and never saw the Island, So I gave Bay a grand total of approx. 8 bucks as a director...

i have all of bays films including his 2 criterion collection. shall i came with you?

That's an absolute bullsh*t view. If that were true, people wouldn't even be allowed in the basement of Hell just for watching Uwe Boll's films.

You're fine watching, enjoying, and owning Bay films. People just like to sit on their high horse and look down on others. Problem is, there's always someone who's higher up, so that means all of these bitchers have their faces firmly planted in the horse's ass.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby wingdarkness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Soundwave: "Bay apologists eject!"
@Autobot032 -
Dude I'm not about to get into another argument, worship Bay all you like I don't have the energy...

I don't own one Bay film...But what's funny is while I never liked Bay, his dealings with Transformers is what made me loathe him...His arrogance and down-right contempt for anyone who questions anything he does made me feel this way...The way he steamrolled over ILM and company for his Bayformers made me lose respect I didn't even have for him...I acknowledge his success, but he still makes the most generic movies I've ever seen in my life...But like I said I liked Bad boys 1 and The Rock...Guess it helped I was teenager and I made out with my GF during both movies...

ALright I lied I made out just during the Rock, I actually was into Bad Boys 1 because Martin was at the height of his career then...
wingdarkness
Minibot

Postby ChromedomeMK2 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:29 am

Good for him, he have along way to go.
ChromedomeMK2
Minibot

Postby nelson_michaelbay_com » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:42 am

Is that article referring to domestic box office only? If that's the case, then the article is right.

If it's referring to international box office results, then it is wrong. Previous to Tranformers, Bay's films had made somehwere around 2 billion worldwide.
nelson_michaelbay_com
Mini-Con
News Credits: 4

Postby SoooTrypticon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:49 am

Motto: "If it can't transform into a dinosaur, burn it with lasers."
Weapon: Laser Cannon
Having paid for Ratatouille to see Bay's latest effort to hold a camera (you know, an ILM friend says Bay can't even get insurance for his cameras because he breaks so many) I feel no sorrow, only pity. Maybe when he screws over the Dinobots and introduces Arcee (voiced by Halle Barry) people will come round. "Me Grimlock say 'Wus up lil' bitches?'"
I'm not angry... I just hate most things.
SoooTrypticon
Fuzor
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby Mr.RobotoAutoMan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 am

nelson_michaelbay_com wrote:Is that article referring to domestic box office only? If that's the case, then the article is right.

If it's referring to international box office results, then it is wrong. Previous to Tranformers, Bay's films had made somehwere around 2 billion worldwide.

thats what i said. his other films reached the billion dollar mark. before he started working with transformers
Mr.RobotoAutoMan
Combiner

Postby The Paragon of Virtue » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:52 am

SoooTrypticon wrote:Having paid for Ratatouille to see Bay's latest effort to hold a camera

Is that supposed to be impressive or something?
The Paragon of Virtue
Vehicon

Postby Flashback » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:52 am

SoooTrypticon wrote:Having paid for Ratatouille to see Bay's latest effort to hold a camera (you know, an ILM friend says Bay can't even get insurance for his cameras because he breaks so many) I feel no sorrow, only pity. Maybe when he screws over the Dinobots and introduces Arcee (voiced by Halle Barry) people will come round. "Me Grimlock say 'Wus up lil' bitches?'"

Ahh, get off your high horse. It's not a 'flaw' to enjoy the movie, as 'coming around' would imply.
Flashback
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby Phenotype » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 am

wingdarkness wrote:The way he steamrolled over ILM and company for his Bayformers made me lose respect I didn't even have for him.

Dude, what are you talking about? In fact, what is anyone who uses the term "Bayformers" talking about? Do you honestly think that Bay designed the Transformers himself? Oh, suddenly inbetween directing, editing, and all of the other stuff he does he suddenly learned how to be a graphic artist? Give me a break! ILM designed the Transformers, all Bay ever did was say in an interview that he wanted the Transformations to be "kinetic" with "hundreds of parts moving all at once". And who knows, that might not have even been his idea, maybe the studio came up with that idea or maybe Speilberg, or maybe some kid at ILM. You don't know. What I do know is that Bay DID NOT design the Transformers himself so don't blame him because you didn't like the designs, ILM showed him some designs, he liked him, you can't really fault him for that. Lots of other people (myself included) like them too.
Phenotype
Vehicon

Postby Black Bumblebee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:15 am

What would be wrong with Halle Berry voicing Arcee, hmm? You don't want an academy award winner doing her voice? Or is it because she's...
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby Loki120 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 am

Bay's movies may not be deep thinkers, but then neither are the most of the rest of those people in the club (and if one person comes to me and say Georgie Lucas, I'm going to bean in the back of the head with a copy of Episode 1). Simple fact is Bay's over-the-top approach has got him where he is. And the simple fact is, a part of being a director is to do the kinds of things that Bay does. As a director, you have to know what you want, and then go for it. And before it's said, I'm not a Bay Apologists, so you can shove that one. In fact, I don't even like half his movies. I dislike Armageddon, never bothered with Pearl Harbor, the Rock...is tolerated, and I hate Bad Boys with a freakin' passion. Even Will Smith couldn't make up for the sheer SUCK that is Martin Lawrence. There, I said it. But the simple fact is I dislike these movies, not because of Bay, but because...well, it's freakin' Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and Bad Boys...how many explanations do you need?
Loki120
Transmetal Warrior

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 2E 1223IM263 (CA) Dragotta"
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #3 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 3A GI JOE 1223IM271 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #3 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero YEARBOOK #2 IDW Comics 2021 APR210632 Lattie 230926V"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #18 IDW Comics 2012 210411A (CA) Loh (W) Dixon (A) Rosado"
GI JOE #18 IDW Com ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #15 Marvel Comics 1989 (A/CA) Vosburg (W) Hama 220721A"
TALES OF GI JOE #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 7th ptg Image Comics 2024 0124IM896 (CA) Di Nicuolo (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #1 7th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr C Laughter Image Comics 2023 1123IM810 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #1 Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Golden (W) Hama 220721A"
GI JOE YEARBOOK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #303 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 1123IM281 303A (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 4C GI JOE 0124IM249 (CA) Boss (W)Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 SEP221680 300B (CA) Gallant"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 4D GI JOE 0124IM250 (CA) Clarke (W) Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 0224IM322 8C (CA) Araújo +O’Halloran"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM895 (CA) Guara"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Skywarp Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON