This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New IDW Beast Wars comic series

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: New IDW Beast Wars comic series

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
So this isn't a book to celebrate the anniversary of the show after all? Just nods to irrelevant Convention stuff.
Tom Scioli did an incredible job of paying homage to the source material, in his 2018 Go-Bots book. Sounds like a better choice in light of this.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
So, in this version, it seems that Megatron's Golden Disk theft was more of a coordinated effort supported by a complicit Tripredacus Council, rather than a completely rogue operation.

Also, the pics are kinda blurry. Here's some clearer ones:

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:00 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:So this isn't a book to celebrate the anniversary of the show after all? Just nods to irrelevant Convention stuff.
Tom Scioli did an incredible job of paying homage to the source material, in his 2018 Go-Bots book. Sounds like a better choice in light of this.

I don't think you could have misread my comments any more than you did.

It is incorporating things used for Botcon/the club, which made some very good BWU content, as someone who did read them. And by incorporating, it's using design cues for cybertronian forms. Literally nothing wrong with that nor is it copying any club story.

Tom Scioli did a great job yes, but he had his TF vs GI Joe stuff, I am excited to see what Burnham and Burcham have up their sleeves. New team, new ongoing. Same basic premise so far, but new takes, new designs, new content, new story
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Immortal Starscream » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Interesting.

The art here imho screams of Transformers Animated. While I am a big fan of Animated, I am not sure how I feel about it in my Beast Wars. Neat to see them pay homage to the Botcon stuffs. Also neat to give Megs a "pre-Megatron" name. Unless that was something that was already established before and I just missed it. More-over, I dig the name Galavar sounding a bit like Galvatron. Something poetic about a "Gal" getting an upgrade and changing his name to Megatron and not the reverse.

All that aside, not enough here to really make a judgement call imho. will have to wait and see.

"They're playing with him... and when they're done they're going to play with me.... OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!"
Immortal Starscream
Headmaster
News Credits: 18

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Always Guilty..."
I didn't misread it, I just didn't see any of that celebrating the anniversary of the show. If they wanted to celebrate the Beast Era, there are plenty of context specific Tech Specs, Bios and Concept art to utilize. Not just fringe prose. Which there isn't anything wrong with using. It isn't their value that is the question. The merit to using them is.
The series proper largely left Maximal and Predacon Cybertronian forms ambiguous, much like Megatron's "original name". Why? Because they were details that don't really matter.

Scioli's TF vs. GI Joe is another great example of his work. Everyone was painted in a different light which made it interesting. King Rodimus, The Astrotrain etc, etc
That is how you homage the familiar, while making it new and your own.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby bluecatcinema » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:14 pm

I kind of like the sound of "Galavar".
bluecatcinema
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Immortal Starscream wrote:Also neat to give Megs a "pre-Megatron" name. Unless that was something that was already established before and I just missed it.
Once, yes, but it was in Uprising, so not exactly the Megatron who would take the name from the Covenant of Primus and start the Beast Wars.

In that version, he went by the name "Gnashteeth" (or just "Gnash", for short) before taking the name "Megatron". But when he first said that name, he subtly implied that it wasn't actually his real real name, merely just what he wanted people to call him, as though he wanted to maintain some degree of anonymity for some ulterior motive before he adopted the "Megatron" name and went public with it.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby TOO MUCH ENERGON! » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:47 am

Motto: ""Cheetor says some Cheetor bullshit.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
I reeeeeeeaaallllllly dislike the art style, and don’t really feel like it fits with Beast Wars. But whatever. I’ll get used to it.
TOO MUCH ENERGON!
Minibot
Watch TOO MUCH ENERGON! on YouTube
Alt Mode: Panther
Courage: 7

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am

Always Guilty..."
Indeed. Preds and Maxis ain't blocky.. But we'll see how it pans out.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby bluecatcinema » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:18 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Indeed. Preds and Maxis ain't blocky.. But we'll see how it pans out.

As I recall, they actually did look that way before scanning their beast modes.
bluecatcinema
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Always Guilty..."
bluecatcinema wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Indeed. Preds and Maxis ain't blocky.. But we'll see how it pans out.

As I recall, they actually did look that way before scanning their beast modes.

No, none of them did. The more rounded design was the whole point of them being descendants.

AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby TOO MUCH ENERGON! » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Motto: ""Cheetor says some Cheetor bullshit.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
Ah, good ole ReBoot Megazord Megatron.
TOO MUCH ENERGON!
Minibot
Watch TOO MUCH ENERGON! on YouTube
Alt Mode: Panther
Courage: 7

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Always Guilty..."
TOO MUCH ENERGON! wrote:Ah, good ole ReBoot Megazord Megatron.

:lol: True!

One of the reasons I always thought Megatron didn't have a good design until his Season two Transmetal.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:36 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Greetings Seibertronians! Following the posting of April 2021 IDW comic solicitations here, freelance artist Josh Perez took to his Twitter Account to give fans an extra treat! The artist posted a clean look at his cover for issue #3 of IDW’S Transformers: Beast Wars ongoing! The cover is the Retailer Incentive, meaning that it is included for every ten copies a comic book store orders in.

The art work shows off all the major characters in the comic so far.

This is what Josh wrote in the tweet accompanying the image:

Josh Perez wrote:My cover for #IDW's #BeastWars issue 3 was shown off in solicitations: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idw-transformers-comics-april-2021-solicitations/45615/
I figured I'd post the cover sans logos and stuff! Was a lot of fun and I really appreciate getting to do another cover for Transformers! (I wanted to wait a little but I got excited)

What do you think of the cover? Are you going to be trying out this series? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Always Guilty..."
What is it about the proportions of Primal that look so.. off, with this picture? :-?
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:58 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:What is it about the proportions of Primal that look so.. off, with this picture? :-?
He's certainly a wide load.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby TK415 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Anyone know or have a guess as to what kind of animal the new predacon is?
TK415
Vehicon

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:05 pm

TK415 wrote:Anyone know or have a guess as to what kind of animal the new predacon is?
You mean Skold? She's a turtle. A virtual redeco of Snapper.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby TK415 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Awesome! Thanks Sabrblade! I had missed that.
TK415
Vehicon

Review of IDW's Transformers: Beast Wars 1

Postby william-james88 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
A Review of Beast Wars #1

There may be spoilers to those who never watched the first episode of Beast Wars

I often see older fans ask for a straight up G1 reboot that is as close to possible to the original and I always think it would serve of no use. We already have lots of G1 reboots (like Cyberverse and Netflix's WFC) and if that's not G1 enough for you, then the original show is still there. With this first issue of Beast Wars, all that is reinforced for me. I am a huge Beast Wars fan and I never needed a remake of the first episode's opening segment. And yet, now we have one. So yeah, if you watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode of Beast Wars, very little in the comic will feel new. And the fact that it has random new characters makes that even more odd. So it's a faithful retelling, only not, which just makes it feel off. To all the Beast Wars fans out there, let me know if this scene rings a bell?

Most of the characterizations are as you'd imagine, with Optimus Primal being the one with the biggest change. He is far more of a hot head here, hoping for something exciting to happen and a shoot first kind of guy. That difference was interesting, as was seeing Megatron get the golden disk (though fans had already seen the Club's take on that in the past as well). There isn't much in terms of story beyond that since as soon as they get their beast modes, the issue just stops. What we get in terms of story is not bad at all, but it is a complete retread so that we can proceed to more stories within the exact same premise. I am pretty sure that the following issues will be different stories than what we saw (at least not as identical) but the fact that we had to go through all the motions again wasn't exciting. Especially not with this art accompanying it.

So let's get to the art. As with the story itself, it is not bad, at all. As a sequential artist, Josh Burcham is a beast (ha!), and I really liked seeing all the characters in their cybertronian bodies first. I's something I always wanted to see in the original show and it was fun guessing who is who.

All that good stuff aside, I just didn't feel this Scotty Young type art style was the right fit. It also feels very bare. The backgrounds themselves were rather bland in this comic. And the lack of detail simply does not work with the organic beast modes, some of which look terrible (especially the new Nyx character). There's a part dedicated to explaining the fur found on Primal's gorilla body and yet all we see is just black with some non contrasting flecks. It felt like the writing was at odds with the art or Burcham simply took too much on by providing every aspect of the art from "penciling" to colouring.

In the end, the issue was ok. Not great, but not bad either. Nothing new or exciting for me as a Beast Wars fan but I will definitely give it a chance since I can see how the repetition here could be a necessary evil to set up a similar premise to the show we all love. And the art is the same as the cover we have seen for months. If you were not on board then this issue won't change your mind.

I give this issue 3 gorilla hairs out of 5
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:44 pm

In the spirit of fairness, the pilot episode of Beast Wars wasn't that spectacular either, with it mostly being about how Cheetor is an idjit, Rattrap is a jerk, and Optimus is a frustrated noob. And I say that as both a diehard BW fan and one whose favorite character as a child was Cheetor.

The show had to grow to get good, which I expect will be a similar case for this series.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby william-james88 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:59 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Sabrblade wrote:In the spirit of fairness, the pilot episode of Beast Wars wasn't that spectacular either, with it mostly being about how Cheetor is an idjit, Rattrap is a jerk, and Optimus is a frustrated noob. And I say that as both a diehard BW fan and one whose favorite character as a child was Cheetor.

The show had to grow to get good, which I expect will be a similar case for this series.

Yes that's fair. And when this series gets good, I'll rate it as such.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:22 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
I gotta say, the art is a turn off. The angular style just doesn't work for organic characters. If they had stayed in their robot modes for the duration, it would be less distracting, but as it is, it just doesn't fit. Hopefully the quality of the story will overcome it in future issues. I really want to give this title a chance, but I'm cautious.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:30 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
It’s like, if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it.

Beast Wars is already pretty frikkin perfect, I don’t understand why we need a reboot series. Why not a sequel series that isn’t Beast Machines? That’d be rad.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby angtre » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:39 am

Motto: "Lamentor ergo sum"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
The art style is a turn off, however I'll give it a couple of issues. Still for the time being, I feel like a Quintesson Judge.
angtre
Minibot
Alt Mode: Caterpillar D11
Strength: 10
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Age Extinction Legion Class Movie AOE 2014 New 220427A"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Revenge Fallen Robot Replicas complete ROTF 2009 210930A"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS (variant) Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Deluxe complete + more 220802A"
SKIDS (variant) Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GALVATRON Transformers Studio Series 90 Age of Extinction AOE Movie Voyager 2022"
GALVATRON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Movie 2007 Burger King Kid's Meal Fast Food Premium 2007"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Target 2009 240109S"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JOLT Transformers Studio Series 75 Deluxe ROTF Hasbro 2021 New"
JOLT Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Leader complete + more 2009 240109Q"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers The Last Knight Legion Class Movie TLK Hasbro New 2017"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SQWEEKS Transformers Last Knight Deluxe 100% complete TLK Movie Hasbro 221107A"
SQWEEKS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109R"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESERT TRACKER RATCHET Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete 2009"
NEW!
DESERT TRACKER RAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JETFIRE Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Robot Replicas ROTF 2009 210930A"
JETFIRE Transforme ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON