This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #351 "Ask Your Dad"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #351 "Ask Your Dad"

Postby Aaarnhide19 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:58 am

Motto: "“I can’t deal with that now”"
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
Autobots are out there, the truth is out there, and those same Autobots are doing crimes as the crew discusses a classic comic in episode 351 of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast. Host Scotty P is joined by Kuhlio, Aaarnhide19, and Mr. Starscream to talk all about some of the latest news and reveals. We also take some serious time for once to look back at the start of the Transformers UK comic series, with a fun and in-depth discussion of "Man of Iron". All this awaits, plus a trip back to 2008.

Episode #351 “Ask Your Dad” is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on Apple Podcasts and many other Podcatcher sites within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Here's what we discuss in this episode:

• We weren't expecting the pegging to go so well as Hot Wheels Optimus Prime has already sold out
  • The toy talk continues with the possible leak of an Autobot Ark 3 pack to serve as a nice counterpart to the Nemesis Bridge set as well as Masterpiece Lift-Ticket and DK-2 Guard adding redecos into the new MPG line.
  • Takara may have defunded the police, but plenty of robots that are not cops seem to still be on the way
  • All the comic talk from last episode speculating on the next comic edition figure reveal has the cast revisit an old classic, The Transformers UK story Man of Iron!
  • This week's installment of the "40 for 40" segment brings us into the creative and fun Animated year of 2008
    ImageImage
  • Bragging Rights concludes the episode once again - ask your dad for help.

| Love us? Hate us? Extra Super Love us? Drop us a review on Apple Podcasts or on your favorite podcatcher. |
| Want to keep the discussion going? You can do so by simply replying to this post! |
| Got a question for the Twincast? Ask the Twincast. |
Aaarnhide19
Mini-Con
News Credits: 12
Alt Mode: Submarine

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #351 "Ask Your Dad"

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:36 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Maybe I had to grow up in the UK to appreciate it, but as a G1 comics fan, I did not like Man of Iron. At all. It had to do with the artwork as much as the story itself, but it didn't appeal to me. When Titan reprinted the G1 comics 20 or so years ago, I'm glad they left issues 33 and 34 out of the collection.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:23 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Rodimus Prime wrote:Maybe I had to grow up in the UK to appreciate it, but as a G1 comics fan, I did not like Man of Iron. At all. It had to do with the artwork as much as the story itself, but it didn't appeal to me. When Titan reprinted the G1 comics 20 or so years ago, I'm glad they left issues 33 and 34 out of the collection.
I get that. The way it was released here was super unappealing and it just didn't fit with anything by that point. I didn't appreciate it until getting the full backstory - realizing how early it was meant to be helped so so much. That and experiencing it with the hand painted coloring found in CC 3, which elevates the art in a way the Marvel US recoloring does not. Still a weird story, but as time goes on it's that weirdness that makes it really cool, to me.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 640
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:39 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
ScottyP wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Maybe I had to grow up in the UK to appreciate it, but as a G1 comics fan, I did not like Man of Iron. At all. It had to do with the artwork as much as the story itself, but it didn't appeal to me. When Titan reprinted the G1 comics 20 or so years ago, I'm glad they left issues 33 and 34 out of the collection.
I get that. The way it was released here was super unappealing and it just didn't fit with anything by that point. I didn't appreciate it until getting the full backstory - realizing how early it was meant to be helped so so much. That and experiencing it with the hand painted coloring found in CC 3, which elevates the art in a way the Marvel US recoloring does not. Still a weird story, but as time goes on it's that weirdness that makes it really cool, to me.
I actually found out why "Man of Iron" was printed in the US run after asking Bob Budiansky at BotCon 2022. He told me that it was printed because he needed more time to work on the next proper US issue ("Child's Play"), as he hadn't met his deadline in time. He said the same was true with the other two Marvel US issues that he likewise didn't write ("Plight of the Bumblebee!" and "The Big Broadcast of 2006"), that he didn't meet his deadlines for "The Smelting Pool!" and "The Cosmic Carnival" in time, so those two other stories were added to fill-in for those publications to give Bob more time to finish the next chapters.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 440
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Bumblevivisector » Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:20 pm

ScottyP wrote:
Same here. I really appreciate the feel it was going for, trying to capture how alien an encounter with TFs would be from a child's POV. Still, now that I've read all of Marvel U.S. and U.K. (except a few annual text stories), it doesn't quite feel like it fits. Whenever I reread Man Of Iron, I feel like what I'm reading is the adaptation of some live-action TF movie that was released in England in early 1985, then vanished without any other trace; even knowing better, sometimes when I'd pick the carcass of a dying video store, I'd look through the piles of tapes thinking, "If only...", for just a second or two. For all its faults, it's haunting.

In fact, despite there being so many superior Marvel stories, if Michael Bay had asked me to recommend just one comic arc (after he reportedly watched all the Sunbow 'toon), I'd have had to recommend Man Of Iron for that very reason (well, after I tried and failed to get him to read ALL of Marvel continuity), even describing it as "Spielbergian", and therefore appropriate for what that 2007 film had to try and achieve. That's why I got so excited for The Last Knight, and why that movie hurt even worse than it should have; I just happened to have received a mild concussion before driving to the theater, which actually helped a bit.
Bumblevivisector
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:47 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Bumblevivisector wrote:
ScottyP wrote:
Same here. I really appreciate the feel it was going for, trying to capture how alien an encounter with TFs would be from a child's POV. Still, now that I've read all of Marvel U.S. and U.K. (except a few annual text stories), it doesn't quite feel like it fits.
I actually somewhat recently figured out a good place for "Man of Iron" to fit into the larger Marvel G1 continuity, in regards to both the US and UK continuities.

While the UK-published "Robot War" recaps placed it during the time of the four-issue limited series, that honestly feels like an impossible placement. The Autobots' energy situation on Earth in the four-issue limited series is dire. They are desperate for more energy, and their reserves are practically running on empty. While "Man of Iron" takes the cast halfway around the world on a full three-day adventure with a more explosive and destructive battle between the 'Bots and 'Cons that yields heavy damage to both sides, consequently feeling like so many more resources are expunged during the story. Not to mention the fact that "Robot War" placed it during a montage seen in US issue #3 "Prisoner of War!", a montage that only spans a single night, while "Man of Iron" takes place across three consecutive days, making just too big an event to have occurred during that time.

So, disregarding where "Robot War" placed it, I find that "Man of Iron" best fits coming right after US issue #12 "Prime Time!". In the US continuity, this would put it before "Shooting Star!", and in the UK continuity, before "Christmas Breaker!", "Crisis of Command!", "The Icarus Theory", "Dinobot Hunt!" and then "Shooting Star!".

At the very end of "Prime Time!", Optimus says to Buster Witwitcky, "You have taught me something of value today, Buster Witwicky...and that is that one human life knowingly endangered by our struggle is one life too many. By the Primal Program itself, I pray we Autobots have the wisdom to learn that lesson well!" Placing the events of "Man of Iron" right after he says this now gives more context to Optimus's decision to have the buried ship destroyed in "Man of Iron", as he seems to be taking that lesson to heart at its fullest extreme by destroying the vessel to keep the humans of Stansham safe from the Autobot/Decepticon war (and we know that this Optimus sometimes takes his moral code a little too far, like how he chose to kill himself over a video game after some NPCs got killed off when playing said game in US issue #24 "Afterdeath!").

There's also this other really odd bit near the end of "Man of Iron" where, right before Optimus tells Jazz that they must destroy the ship, he says, "We have won this skirmish, but who knows how fast the Decepticon threat is growing? We cannot leave the Earth now, Jazz. The Decepticons would soon overrun the planet. Only we few stand in their way. We cannot leave." It seems odd that either Optimus or Jazz would entertain the notion of leaving the Earth during the time of the four-issue limited series (where "Man of Iron" was originally placed by "Robot War"), as not only are their resources so limited that even leaving the planet is pretty much an impossibility for the Autobots at that point, but they know good and well that the Decepticon threat is something that must be stopped and only by them. So it reads as if Optimus is just stating the obvious to Jazz for no good reason since at no point prior did Jazz or anyone else ever bring up the idea of the Autobots leaving the Earth.

BUT, were this story to instead come right after "Prime Time!", it would then come at a point after Megatron has been defeated, Shockwave has been defeated, and the now-leaderless Decepticons are pretty much on the losing side of the war. By now, it would make more sense for some of the Autobots to be discussing the possibility of leaving the Earth, considering the Decepticons as good as done for. In this context, Optimus's line now reads more as him reminding Jazz that, while the Autobots pretty much have this war won by now, their mission isn't fully over until the Decepticons threat is completely neutralized for good, that it's still too early to start celebrating and calling it quits just yet.

What's more, on the UK-only side of things, the sudden outrage that the Autobots feel with Optimus at the start of "Crisis of Command!" would now have even more context in light of Optimus's callous decision to order Jazz to destroy the buried Autobot vessel at the end of "Man of Iron", when the Autobots could have salvaged any resources from that ship for them to use in their war against the Decepticons, instead of Optimus simply having the ship destroyed. Prowl and Bluestreak grumbling to themselves in "Christmas Breaker!" about how Optimus has been acting "strange" lately would also have more context from that decision in "Man of Iron", since that decision always felt strangely out of character for Optimus.

So in the end, I'm perfectly comfortable with placing "Man of Iron" right after "Prime Time!" in both the US and UK continuities. While this would instead set "Man of Iron" during the Autumn of 1985 instead of 1984, the story was originally published in January 1985, so it's at least still within the same year it was originally published. ;)^
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 440
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Starscream » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:16 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Wow we really called it Ask Your Dad

:-0

:michaelbay:
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8

Postby Rodimus Prime » Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:40 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Starscream wrote:Wow we really called it Ask Your Dad

:-0

:michaelbay:
Yeah, most of us who grew up with the G1 comics are now in our 40s...
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Starscream » Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:17 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Oh, I know.
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 1A 210411A"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2RIA"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATCHET Transformers Studio Series 82 Deluxe Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
RATCHET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LASERBEAK Transformers Studio Series Core Class Pink Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
LASERBEAK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics Movie Sequel 4RI 230323B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 1B 210411A"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PERCEPTOR Transformers The Movie G1 Retro reissue Hasbro 2023 New"
NEW!
PERCEPTOR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Flip Change DRIFT Transformers Age Extinction Robots Disguise AOE 2014 210930A"
Flip Change DRIFT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2A 210411B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SQWEEKS Transformers Last Knight Deluxe 100% complete TLK Movie Hasbro 221107A"
SQWEEKS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Command & Convert Animatronic OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Rise Beasts ROTB 2023"
Command & Convert ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AIRAZOR Transformers Rise of the Beasts Battle Masters MV7 ROTB 2023 New"
NEW!
AIRAZOR Transforme ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #354 - Identity Crisis
Twincast / Podcast #354:
"Identity Crisis"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, July 13th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Optimus Prime and Grimlock Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON