This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:23 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
The errors were scathing to some. To others they put it aside, and chalked it up as an IDW rush job with so much happening on the TF comics front lately.

Chris Ryall has heard the complaints, the comments, and the criticisms and he calmly replies, taking the blame for the book upon his shoulders, and promising better things:

"Hey, everyone--

In the time we've been doing Transformers comics, there have been highs and lows for the fans, I know. As there's going to be on anything -- some projects work better than others, for various reasons.

This one seems to be ranking somewhere near the first issue of the TF Animated Series for most of you, from the responses I've seen.

Which sucks all around--the last thing we want to do is release product that doesn't work for you. Especially since this particular book took so long to finally arrive. And because so many artists and colorists labored over it. And because Simon and Ben Yee did the same, and then waited patiently for the book to finally be assembled and released.

So for the person who just e-mailed me very angry and said "once again, IDW screws its fans," well, that's hardly true and hardly a sound approach to business, I would think. And nothing we would ever set out to do.

So what happened?

That's a good question. But there's really no need for me to make excuses or air any beasty-smelling laundry, so I'll just say that the book is, like everything we publish, ultimately my responsibility. This book was one that sort of slipped through the crack while I was dealing with an editorial shift, and it went out with some errors. Book Two was completed during this same period. But Andrew is here as the TF Editor now, and is extremely competent and he and I will do what we can to ensure the rest of the books are produced as they should be. As many errors are able to be corrected in the collected version will be fixed, too.

I know that this book was a bit of a disappointment for fans who waited so long. Transition with art teams or editorial teams can cause hiccups that are evidenced in the finished product, but certainly not on purpose.

So know that I share your pain on this--maybe moreso, since so many people have shared their pain with me--but also know that putting out something you don't love is never our intent. We'll get 'em next time."

You can see the original IDW Forum thread here.

While they cannot undo what has been done, and there are no promises made that things will be corrected in the Trade Paperback release, we do know that this will be a focus for them to get the remaining issues right.

You can become a part of our discussion of the 'Beast Wars Sourcebook #1' here
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
At least he Cowboy-ed up to this one. I can respect that.

Big Convoy is still owed a big apology though.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby darth reven » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:30 am

cool
darth reven
Minibot

Postby darth reven » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:31 am

cool
darth reven
Minibot

Postby Leonardo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 am

Kudos to Ryall for being professional and admitting any mistakes (which I haven't seen as I'm still waiting for the book to arrive), as well as maintaining a civil discourse with the fans.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Archanubis » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 am

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
Maybe I should look over the issue before I buy it...
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby tile_mcgillus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 am

I am not a big Beast Wars fan but that was awesome. He admitted his mistake and apologized. Then gave plans for the future to rectify it.

WOW. That never happens. Mad props to Ryall for doing what was right. I respect that immensely.
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Postby Optimutt » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 am

Motto: "Victory if nothing if you don't enjoy everything leading to it."
What kinds of mistakes were made?
"I couldn't put it down," Eliot Vohy about Escape from the Spotlight.

Updates on novels and publications: https://robwqueen.com/
Optimutt
Vehicon
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Jet

Postby Sloptank » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:12 am

Major high fives to the man in the robot suit.
Sloptank
Minibot

Postby Ultra Magnus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am

Motto: "COME ON YOU APES! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?"
Weapon: Dual Cluster Bomb Missile Launchers
Sloptank wrote:Major high fives to the man in the robot suit.

I agree! This is the guy we need working on the MOVIE!
"Alright Bots, the time is Now. Transform and Finish it!"

Ultra Magnus
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Arcadius-Prime » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:18 am

I think IDW wants to do right by us and I respect that, and sometimes not all projects turn out to be winners and I except that.
Arcadius-Prime
Mini-Con

Postby Superginraix » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 am

"once again, IDW screws its fans,"?

Immature.

Big of Ryall to admit a mistake. I hope that it DOES get fixed up a bit in TPB form. Those images could be a lot larger to cover up some of that empty white space, for example. ;)

I'm actually surprised by the lack of text in the book. I guess I was expecting something more like More Than Meets the Eye. Ah well.
Superginraix
Mini-Con

Postby Dr. Caelus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:40 am

I just keep liking this guy more and more.
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby First-Aid » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 am

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
tile_mcgillus wrote:I am not a big Beast Wars fan but that was awesome. He admitted his mistake and apologized. Then gave plans for the future to rectify it.

WOW. That never happens. Mad props to Ryall for doing what was right. I respect that immensely.

Hey Barry Bonds and Michael Vick, THAT'S HOW YOU APOLOGIZE! LEARN FROM IT YOU IDIOTS!
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby slagfan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 pm

"This is the guy we need working on the MOVIE!"

Agreed. I enjoyed the prequel a lot and I thought things tied in to the movie quite nicely.
slagfan
Mini-Con

Postby Dr. Z » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:27 pm

Sorry to ask, but what is that book about exactly? And what are the mistakes?
Dr. Z
Fuzor

Postby Cyber-Kun » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Well, I was really pissed with the screw-ups, but at least Chris has the balls to own up to it. I really, really hope its fixed for the TPB. I have an amazing amount of respect for Chris Ryall
recent acquisitions: TFA Black Arachnia, Ratchet & Leader Megatron, Movie Stockade
Cyber-Kun
Headmaster Jr

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:54 pm

What else is he going to??? the mea culpa is nice, but this 'falling through the cracks' is the main reason I don't buy IDW comics anymore.
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Micromaster

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:What else is he going to??? the mea culpa is nice, but this 'falling through the cracks' is the main reason I don't buy IDW comics anymore.

You have some other reason to give them grief?

Except for this small delay for these current books, IDW has been pretty good and damn loyal to the fan base so far.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Speed: 6
Firepower: 4

Postby Liege Evilmus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:13 pm

I like his attitude towards QC.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:40 pm

It's great to see that there are still people high up who will admit that they stuffed up, and not try to pass the blame.

In fact I think Ryall is pulling too much blame onto himself, much of the blame has to be given to the writers.

But full marks to Ryall for being a stand out bloke.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
tigertracks 24 wrote:To others they put it aside, and chalked it up as an IDW rush job with so much happening on the TF comics front lately.

It's not exactly a rush job if it took a year to do, and with most of the bulk that could have caused these problems happening months ago.

And it`s all well and good to take responsibility for it. Quite a different thing to actually do something about it later.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby slagfan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:40 pm

I seem to recall the Soundwave/Shockwave error being fixed for the trade of Animated Movie. I've got faith that these errors will be fixed, too.

Also, I'm no expert, but I think that Ryall has to oversee EVERY book IDW does, not just the TF ones. That probably puts him in a bad spot as being the one to have to answer to things that go sour. They did a lot this past year with the prequel stuff, movie-related projects (remember the Target comic?) and we've heard they have DVD-related stuff, too.

They're a small group and do good stuff. I think we can cut the guy a little slack, no?

And yes, "30 Days of Night" looks awesome.
slagfan
Mini-Con

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
slagfan wrote:I think we can cut the guy a little slack, no?

No is right. I don't feel like particularly giving anyone involved in this any brownie points, considering they've all had a year to get their acts together.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby slagfan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 pm

And I'm not being "pro-Ryall" at all. I enjoyed his prequel story with Simon and think IDW as a whole do good work.

Just sucks to see someone take blame openly and then get knocked for it.

But come to think of it, that Soundwave/Shockwave goof was pretty bad! :)
slagfan
Mini-Con

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARMADA STARSCREAM Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
ARMADA STARSCREAM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOTORMASTER Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Menasor 2015 230903A"
MOTORMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Target 2009 240109S"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GALVATRON Transformers Studio Series 90 Age of Extinction AOE Movie Voyager 2022"
GALVATRON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLOUDCOVER Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager G2 Universe Hasbro 2023 New"
CLOUDCOVER Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHIRL Transformers Generations Voyager complete + instructions 2014 230920A"
NEW!
WHIRL Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HUN-GURRR Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Voyager 2018 230903A"
HUN-GURRR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESERT TRACKER RATCHET Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete 2009"
NEW!
DESERT TRACKER RAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Studio Series Gamer Edition +04 Voyager WFC IN-STOCK 08/08"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INFERNO Transformers Legacy Voyager Beast Wars Predacon 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
INFERNO Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LONG HAUL Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109U"
NEW!
LONG HAUL Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERTRON Transformers Legacy United Voyager Class Prime Hasbro 2024 New"
THUNDERTRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Protectobots Evac Squad HOT SPOT Transformers 2014 Voyager complete 230920A"
NEW!
Protectobots Evac ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSMETAL II MEGATRON Transformers Legacy Evolution Leader Beast Wars New"
TRANSMETAL II MEGA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Bumblebee  (Chevrolet Camaro)" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON