This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Luxoflux Makers of ROTF the Game

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Luxoflux Makers of ROTF the Game

Postby First Gen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Hello Seibertronians. Once again Seibertron.com is bringing you exclusive content. This time, we got a chance to chat with the developers of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen the Game!

Being brought to a game console near you, game producers Luxoflux were very generous in offering us some insight to the development of the sequel game and some good things to look forward to in the second installment of the Transformers Live Action franchise. Questions for the interview were answered by game developer Joby Otero.

So without further ado.....

First Gen: Mr. Otero, first and foremost thank you for taking time out to share some inside info on the upcoming game with the Seibertron.com community. I'm sure the first question most Seibertronians will have is that Luxoflux is new to the Transformers franchise. Can you tell us who you are and what you are bringing to the new Revenge of the Fallen game?

Joby Otero: Luxoflux has a long and very successful history of making games -- including the ultra-ambitious open-world, driving, fighting and shooting of True Crime and the tightly polished fantasy-action-platform-brawling of Kung Fu Panda. Many of us grew up with and daydreamed about making a Transformers game, so this is a thrilling opportunity. It’s also a chance to fully use our skill at finding the heart of a pre-existing world, and expanding on it to develop a game that feels authentic, yet stands on its own. We hope fans feel the love – especially when they get their chance to blow the doors off each other with their favorite characters online! ;)

F G: Transformers the Game (2007) was a huge treat for fans and allowed players to follow the storyline of the first movie without completely copying the movie script itself. Can we expect the same thing from the second installment?

JRO: Our game begins and ends in the same places as the film and there are key events where we synchronize with the film. However, the film tells a story from a human perspective and ours is told from the perspective of the Transformers. Players can also expect to play sections that expand on the film and bring in additional characters.

F G: Something us Transformers fans absolutely love is giant Robot action! One of the best kickers to the 2007 game was the ability to "Choose your side". Will Revenge of the Fallen give the same capabilities?

JRO: Most definitely. There’s an Autobot campaign and a Decepticon campaign and they can be played in either order.

F G: How closely did the developers get to work with the producers of the movie ROTF for the game?

JRO: We communicated a lot with them up front and met with Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg. We’ve since had many ongoing emails and meetings with Paramount and Hasbro. Our team is as hardcore about Transformers as anyone, so the opportunity to work with those folks has been thrilling and it can be hard not to geek out a bit.

F G: Michael Bay, huh? Guess we can expect alot of explosions. Moving on, in the first game, we got the pleasure of certain voice actors voicing roles for the game, will any of them be reprising their roles for the sequel game?

JRO: Hell yeah! We can’t divulge much right now, but fans will find plenty of recognizable voices in the game since we have a huge roster of talent from the new film and the previous game.

F G: What platforms will be able to play Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen?

JRO: Luxoflux is developing the game for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Beenox is developing the PC port. Vicarious Visions, Krome Studios and Savage Entertainment (respectively) are developing unique designs for the DS, Wii & PS2 and PSP.

F G: So if you own more than one platform, essentially you can get a different game like with the first release. Sweet. A big question most gamers have is will Revenge of the Fallen feature online gaming capabilities?

JRO: Yes, and we’re particularly excited about our multiplayer. For the first time in a Transformers game, players can take their favorite characters online in intense matches where the game’s mix of driving, flying, shooting, melee and acrobatic transformation, results in something not quite like any other online experience. It’s fast and intuitive, yet difficult to master and we hope players will agree that it’s an addictive, full-on, ‘Transformers’ experience!

F G: Mario Kart eat your heart out. Transformers the Game also features "side missions" that unlocked certain bonus materials such as movie trailers and photos, will ROTF feature anything of the sort?

JRO: We’re proud to say that Hasbro has really opened up their vaults to a lot of cool content for us. Our game has lots of bonus material, but the system is different this time. Extra content is unlocked by completing a variety of objectives, some of which are in story missions, some are in non-story missions and others are elsewhere. We’ll have to leave it at that – all secret and stuff. ;)

F G: Fair enough. What were the developers trying to accomplish with the sequel game?

JRO: We’ve had a lot of goals, but among our biggest were to deliver: 1) The feeling of being a big f’ing Transformer – a living, alien machine that acrobatically changes form on a whim – allowing players to effortlessly blend shooting, driving, climbing, flying and melee whenever & wherever; 2) Deliver epic Autobot and Decepticon campaigns that give players plenty of freedom, lots of replay value, and highlight the personality and different strengths and weaknesses of the characters; 3) Multiplayer! J

F G: You had me at big f'ing robot. With all the coolness of the first game one of the biggest gripes that came from it was "uneven" gameplay. It seemed that some missions or objectives were thought to be harder than others at awkward times. Was it difficult addressing this issue?

JRO: Getting the difficulty right is always a very challenging thing, especially for a game that needs to be accessible to a very broad range of players. We started play-testing as early as possible to tune single-player and multiplayer. Luxoflux didn’t create the first game, so we were comfortable trying a different approach. For one, our game has multiple layers. Casual gamers can focus on the first layer early on and ease into things. Advanced players can use a combination of skills and take advantage of high-level features earlier and tackle bonus objectives.

F G: So with that being said, what was the most challenging aspect of the making of ROTF?

JRO: With 25 years of Transformers out there as inspiration, and so many ideas from the fans, it was very difficult to decide what to include. One great thing about that is that there are so many ideas and so many cool things we can expand on in the future.

F G: Yet another cool bonus in the first game was that it featured characters that were not in the first film, and as far as we can tell, have not been slated for an appearance in the second film. Can we expect bonus characters from ROTF?

JRO: There will definitely be surprises. We have familiar characters as well as variations that I can’t say much about yet. We also worked closely with Hasbro and reference from the two movies to create many new characters that are uniquely designed for the game. There’s a little something for everyone – Autobot or Decepticon.

Well Joby, thank you very much for your time and we can't wait to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on the store shelves!

Seibertron.com would also like to give special thanks to Luxoflux and Neil Wood for allowing us to conduct the interview.

More details on the game coming soon so keep your optics locked right here at Seibertron.com!
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Luxoflux Makers of ROTF the Game

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I want to preorder but im not sure for what console. Ill wait to see if theres a limited edition. Im sure us PS3 users will get screwed again and ill have to get the crappy 360 version. So is there any news if this time around the DS and PSP versions will be the same?
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7

Postby UltraPrimal » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
I hope the online multiplayer is good. I badly want a TF game I can play with other TF fans.
UltraPrimal
Gestalt
News Credits: 32
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby SuNsToRm_12Z » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:19 am

i wanna get the game already i havent been checken the game news latley so when does the game come out i just wanna know :grin:
C:\Users\Zak\Pictures\sideswipe-banner.gif
SuNsToRm_12Z
Mini-Con

Postby Cliffjumper Prime » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:21 am

Weapon: Big Cannon
"Transformers the Game (2007) was a huge treat for fans"

it was? I have a high tolerance for bad games, but that game was just BAD... the only reason I haven't traded it in is because I'm such a big transformers fan.

this new one looks good though... hopefully it will be the game we all expected the first time
Cliffjumper Prime
Minibot
News Credits: 2
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Windsweeper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:54 am

I quite liked the last TF game. But I'd hope the new game was closer to the Phenomenal Armada game of 2004.

PS2 version for me since I can't bring myself to fork out the money for a newer console.

Just not into computer games like when I was younger.

I did love the Armada game and the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver series. The main character Raziel voiced by Michael 'G1 Prowl' Bell.

More than likely I will pick ROTF on PS2.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby D-340 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Cliffjumper Prime wrote:"Transformers the Game (2007) was a huge treat for fans"

it was? I have a high tolerance for bad games, but that game was just BAD... the only reason I haven't traded it in is because I'm such a big transformers fan.

this new one looks good though... hopefully it will be the game we all expected the first time

I was thinking the same thinking the same thing. But this whole interview seems like a wasted opportunity.

The uneven gameplay wasn't due to the difficulty, it was do to the driving mechanics being to loose, the bot mode mechanics too stiff. What about the whole "action zone" locations in the missions, are they coming back? That was the worste part of the last game for me. And what about your blaster? Except for the smallest drones, it was useless. The game was basically a button mashing melee fest.

Being able to "Choose your Side" is cool, but can you play as all the bots from ROTF any time you choose. Or are characters going to be mission specific again, with some left out like the last game?

And why did they decide to go the GTA styled route with the movie game as opposed to using the far superior PS Armada game as a model? It seemed like the last game was done as your typical fast cash-in movie game.

For me, my expectations are set pretty low. The online multi-player sounds interesting, and I'm sure the game will look pretty like the last one, especially on 360. But I want more substance, not just style.

Like I said, a bit of a wasted interview opportunity.

"Consider the knowledge dropped."
From ToplessRobot.com:• "Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is marginally better than sh***ing your pants, but it takes a lot longer." Very well put.
D-340
Headmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby SJ21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I thought the first game was terrible. The characters were hard to control in both modes, the weapons were too weak, the difficulty on some missions was way too high, and them issions were not very exciting. I got so irritated trying to unlock the extra content that I never finished the whole game. I guess licensed games will suck regardless of content.

I will certainly be renting the second game before I buy it this time around.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Godmaster
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10

Postby D-340 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 pm

SJ21 wrote:I thought the first game was terrible. The characters were hard to control in both modes, the weapons were too weak, the difficulty on some missions was way too high, and them issions were not very exciting. I got so irritated trying to unlock the extra content that I never finished the whole game. I guess licensed games will suck regardless of content.

I will certainly be renting the second game before I buy it this time around.

The thing is, the new TF game doesn't to suck like the last one. Go play TF: Armada on PS2, that's how a TF video game should be done.

Seconded on the renting of this one before I buy it, wish I would've done that with the first game.

"Consider the knowledge dropped."
From ToplessRobot.com:• "Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is marginally better than sh***ing your pants, but it takes a lot longer." Very well put.
D-340
Headmaster

Postby Marcdachamp » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 am

I just hope they fix the camera from the first Wii game.
Marcdachamp
Transmetal Warrior

Postby Prime Riblet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Motto: "Mottos! We need no stinking mottos!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Marcdachamp wrote:I just hope they fix the camera from the first Wii game.

That was pretty bad, wasn't it. To make it even worse, I just got done playing through Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, so I basicly went from playing a game with superb dynamics to a game with absolutely no dynamics. that kinda sucked.
Prime Riblet
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM821 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers SHATTERED GLASS II #5 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 5RI (CA) Maher 230301B"
Transformers SHATT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #47 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2015 47RI (CA)Cahill"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #15 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220438 15B (CA) Duggan"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs TERMINATOR #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 APR200726 4A (CA) Fullerton"
TRANSFORMERS vs TE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM327 7B (CA) Bellegarde (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WARS END #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220443 War's 3B (CA) Margevich"
Transformers WARS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #7 Cvr A IDW Comics 2012 7A (CA)Griffith 220709A"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WINDBLADE #6 sub Vol 2 IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Coller 210819A"
Transformers WINDB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #31 Marvel Comics 1987 (W/A) Budiansky (A) Perlin 231222I"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #31 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 MAR210482 31A (CA) Zuniga (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #31 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr D Doubt Image Comics 2023 1123IM811 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #11 Cover B IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 11B (CA) Caltsoudas"
TRANSFORMERS #11 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #5 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 240317A"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON