This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

"I've got better things to do tonight than die..."- Transformers Wreckers #5 Review

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

"I've got better things to do tonight than die..."- Transformers Wreckers #5 Review

Postby Tigertrack » Tue May 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
"...or do I?"

READ THIS ISSUE OR BE LEFT OUT.

Is that enough of a review? :KREMZEEK:

Sacrifice

It's hard to review the last comic in a series. I had a hard time with it for the Bumblebee miniseries too. Just about every dangling plot point is wrapped up, so anything that you want to know, should, and usually is revealed, which means any review tends to be SPOILER FILLED making readers shy away from reading it! I'll do my best to allow you to discover some OMG moments on your own, but also to get you interested in actually laying down your hard earned cash to pick this up Wednesday.

First off, this issue WILL surprise you. I know it did me. Caught me off guard, and I was ready, I thought for anything. It also made me angry, frustrated, and sad at the same time. It downright scared me at some points.

Insanity

Issue #5 helps us to find out about Ironfist's head problem and more about his history and future, Overlord's fate (it's probably not what you thought), and what Wreckers make it out alive, and who ends up in the Autobot Hall of Warriors pushing up petro petunias, remembered for their valiant efforts on Garrus-9.

Shame

What happens to Aequitas since it is now stored in the neuro-processor of Ironfist? Ironfist's 180 degree personality change now that he is omniscient with the computer's factual judgment data leaves him seeing his beloved Wrecker heroes in less than desirable ways when he knows the untampered truth. What do the Autobot powers-that-be (Ultra Magnus and Prowl) have to say about the G-9 situation when it ends? Can you say download?

Regret

I think the biggest question I was left with was WHEN CAN I FIND OUT MORE? Where's my LSOTW #0, or #5.5? Related to this I was wondering when Nick and James might write again soon for Transformers, and what it will be about when they do (assumption).

The Autobot wiki shows up again at the end of the issue, giving us more information on more of the Autobot characters in the mini, and again, making us wish for more entries to fill in our ever increasing gaps in story and knowledge that we never knew we were missing until now.

What happens this issue? As you would expect, “it's the final showdown between the Wreckers, the Decepticons, and Overlord. Will anyone make it out alive?” I mean there isn't much more to tell than that without you getting your trunk frames in a bunch over me revealing too much.

Death

Fanwank alert: We get to see Perceptor triplechanger tank mode in this issue!!! Awesome!
Remarkably High MPG

I'm sad it's over. It was a fabulous ride. This issue and series will definitely leave you wanting for more. More of this series, more of these characters, written as they are here, more of the writers and creators strutting their stuff. It ends, and not so nicely for many characters, but ultimately it leaves us satisfied, if not hungry for more stories of its ilk.

Shock

Credits go to these gentlemen for a heck of a ride for the series. We hope to read and see more from you. My only real criticism has to do with the art and it's minor...faces and expressions are way too human. Love me some human looking faces, I think the robots are drawn superbly, but the faces, well they get a bit 'Animated' at times, which is not horrible, but reminds me that I do enjoy a little more tech, in my TF face (somewhere Don Figueroa is smiling).

Thank you!

Betrayal

Okay another critical point: the ending with Overlord. I want to wait to give any details with it until more of you have read the issue, but it feels a bit too, Schwarzenegger and it looks a little too much like that particular franchise too. I am fine with it, but I guess I wanted something different. Rarely ever does a comic series, mini or otherwise, end and I don't say that though. Just not satisfied with that particular character's fate, and final act of the series.

Ultimately this is the series of Transformers that many have been waiting for. A slightly more mature, more mysterious, and more deadly version. A version that takes us from our childhood to our adulthood, but keeps us connected with those characters we knew and loved. It's not perfect, but it is a blast, and certainly worthy of any Transformers fan to pick up and read, and enjoy.

Don't skip this issue. Pick it up, read it and then read it again, and again. That damn devil Overlord, I can't get over what you did you junk punk...

Wednesday is the day. Tomorrow. It's there. Check out the five page preview for your own taste of this issue. Page 1 lays it out there for you. Guuuuzzlllle!!!!!

Wreck'd and Rule'd. Well done.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: "I've got better things to do tonight than die..."- Transformers Wreckers #5 Review

Postby Joetx » Wed May 19, 2010 3:07 pm

I like how the issues re: Overlord & The Wreckers were resolved.

I had noticed in the previous issue the hole in Ironfist's head, so his fate made sense.

I think there is one hole in the story - if the mission was really about getting the data on Autobot atrocities stored on Aequitas, I don't see how word of said atrocities never seeped out through the Autobot ranks. Magnus himself says that some of those who gave evidence are still living.

I like the 'bot Prowl has become. Autobots are usually portrayed all goody goody, but Prowl is a lot more of a cold, strictly business 'bot.

One final nitpick that's been bugging me throughout the series - a lot of the 'bots (especially the 'cons) come from toylines we never got in the U.S. All I have of those toylines are pictures from the internet that aren't very detailed. Thus, it was very difficult knowing either who a certain 'bot was or if he was just a made-up 'bot for filler. A tag w/ the 'bot's name when they first appear would've been very helpful.
Joetx
Fuzor

Re: "I've got better things to do tonight than die..."- Transformers Wreckers #5 Review

Postby Pyrostrata » Wed May 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Motto: "Autobots just BORE me!"
Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
Great series...The end was a bit anticlimactic for my tastes, though....but still in tolerable range of "awesome" :)

BTW, the very end made me hate Prowl again. :BOOM:
Cannabis Prime wrote:I didn't know a super-sonic jet could park on the grass like that!

Caboose wrote:Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!

The First Lady of Rage on the Twincast Podcast! http://www.seibertron.com/podcast/

Desperately seeking: Individual weapons (flash included) and missiles for G1 Reflector! PM me if ya got em!
Pyrostrata
Podcast Staff
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby lowman_x » Thu May 20, 2010 4:12 am

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
A pretty shocking and sad end.

One question still lingers: what happened to Grimlock? He went "mad" before Overlord gave the order to kill every last prisoner so where is he?

Okay, that's technically 2 questions.

And here's a third: who's the bot strung up (the silhouette shot) and what the heck is that bone/spine silhouette thing strung up next to him?
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Strength: 5
Speed: 10
Courage: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Prime Evil » Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 am

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Wow, such an amazing comic series. I cannot wait for this to be in TPB so I can lug it around with me. And action packed ride, with lots of twist, turns, and deaths. If these were humans, this would probably be such a gory comic book, it'd have to be given an "R" rating. But it's just bots and cons guts we are seeing so it's ok. LOL

I'm not gonna post spoilers yet, but to lose one of the characters that we lost in this last issue...was really a sad moment for me. I thought he was gonna make it. I thought we would see more of him, but he never made it back to Earth with everyone else. He got off of Pova, but it wasn't that place or Overlord that kills him.

I loooove how cool, calm, and collected Overlord was...UNTIL Verity told him what she did and he actually seemed depressed!! Take that you psychonaught!! You had your sights on Megs for YEARS, and you were nuthing more but an after thought to him. Oh how that musta "wrecked" your ego. Love that part.

Sigh, I don't know if I can do another book like that again. Great, amazing, and awesome, but it's actually nice to know that the next comics I will be reading, that I WON'T have to worry about characters dying. This is not a complaint, but I was wiped out after reading the whole thing together before reading the final issue. Just wanted to get the scope of all again. It's the same feeling I get outta most war movies (Saving Private Ryan, Platoon). Love them, but boy are they draining on your psyche. This is like that. A+ all the way.

OK, as for Grimlock, just assuming, but he might have left when Shocky left...I'm also gonna assume that Scorponok left then as well.

As for the dead bots, generic bots we've seen them in panels before (issue 3?-4?). They looked dead before they were killed to me. I mean dead as in hope. But not they are just dead.
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby sabrigami » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 am

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
Probably not gonna get this till the weekend, but I just gotta know. Do they ever reveal what the weakness was that Shockwave removed from Overlord?
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 7

Postby Tigertrack » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 am

sabrigami wrote:Probably not gonna get this till the weekend, but I just gotta know. Do they ever reveal what the weakness was that Shockwave removed from Overlord?

Not that I know of.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Calvatron » Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 am

lowman_x wrote:A pretty shocking and sad end.

One question still lingers: what happened to Grimlock? He went "mad" before Overlord gave the order to kill every last prisoner so where is he?

Okay, that's technically 2 questions.

And here's a third: who's the bot strung up (the silhouette shot) and what the heck is that bone/spine silhouette thing strung up next to him?

I got the impression that he was part of Shockwave's handpicked crew. Possibly along with Scorpinok(since he's not seen and i thought denton or Roche said he would come up in issue 5), since both are too big of characters not to be mentioned or killed off screen. But it seems like Grimlock isn't dead by the way Snare spoke.

As to the Prisoners, they said earlier that they were there to rescue guards and so forth not incarcerated autobots so i don't think Grimlock or any other actual prisoner was on the list of the executed. Overlord was holding the guards and staff prisoner and he killed them all when the wreckers arrived. Kup and Guzzle were only after Grimlock because they needed help.
Calvatron
Fuzor
News Credits: 1

Postby King Henrik » Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Motto: ""It doesn't matter what you ask, it's who you're asking""
Weapon: Battle Blades
tigertracks 24 wrote:
sabrigami wrote:Probably not gonna get this till the weekend, but I just gotta know. Do they ever reveal what the weakness was that Shockwave removed from Overlord?

Not that I know of.

i think page 1 of issue 3 was all the explanation needed. he was able to pinpoint his enemies weaknesses, but not megatron because of the virus. So Megatron would be the only one who could wipe the floor with him.

also absolutely LOVED this series. Only problem i had is that the last scene with prowl and magnus. By prowls own comments, Bumblebee is leader and prowl would have been with hot rods team at the time. And doesn't seem like it would take place after the battle in ongoing #6, because we have awesome cold calculating prowl again and not "different" ongoing/spotlight prowl. Mind you this is really more of a problem with ongoing, and not LSotW.
King Henrik
Fuzor
News Credits: 5
Strength: 3
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7

Postby Tigertrack » Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 pm

King Henrik wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:

Not that I know of.

i think page 1 of issue 3 was all the explanation needed. he was able to pinpoint his enemies weaknesses, but not megatron because of the virus. So Megatron would be the only one who could wipe the floor with him.

also absolutely LOVED this series. Only problem i had is that the last scene with prowl and magnus. By prowls own comments, Bumblebee is leader and prowl would have been with hot rods team at the time. And doesn't seem like it would take place after the battle in ongoing #6, because we have awesome cold calculating prowl again and not "different" ongoing/spotlight prowl. Mind you this is really more of a problem with ongoing, and not LSotW.

Good spot. Another hiccup that can be saved by robot double, or another bot in disguise as him running things.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby JeffX » Sat May 22, 2010 7:59 am

I loved this series. So what happened to Perceptor and Kup? I saw what happened, but they weren't listed in the end.
JeffX
Micromaster

Postby Tigertrack » Sat May 22, 2010 4:35 pm

JeffX wrote:I loved this series. So what happened to Perceptor and Kup? I saw what happened, but they weren't listed in the end.

Since they were not listed in the reference as a dead Wrecker, I think we can expect to see them back and wreckin' soon.

If Springer can be 'alive', I kind of think they will be fine.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby JeffX » Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 am

tigertracks 24 wrote:
JeffX wrote:I loved this series. So what happened to Perceptor and Kup? I saw what happened, but they weren't listed in the end.

Since they were not listed in the reference as a dead Wrecker, I think we can expect to see them back and wreckin' soon.

If Springer can be 'alive', I kind of think they will be fine.

That's what I assumed. I hope they put more Wrecker comics out as this series as very good.
JeffX
Micromaster

Postby Peter Bilt » Mon May 24, 2010 2:07 pm

tigertracks 24 wrote:
King Henrik wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:

Not that I know of.

Good spot. Another hiccup that can be saved by robot double, or another bot in disguise as him running things.

On the cover of Last Stand #5 it states that the issue happens between issues 1-3 of Transformers ongoing.
Peter Bilt
Mini-Con

Postby cybercat » Wed May 26, 2010 6:14 pm

I loved the story! The coloring though...hurt my eyes. I know, that's such a quibble but the lineart deserved something a bit less...bad-era Marvel Comics. It really lost the dark tone for me. :C

I wasn't crazy about Overlord becoming the Big Bad Big Bad--I rather kind of still like Sixshot for that role. (And dude, am I the only one a little like weirded out by his LIPS?!?!_ :shock:

I kind of dug the whole Prowl/Overlord angle--both monomaniacs in pursuit of a goal and completely oblivious to how that pure pursuit affects others. Prowl thinks he's serving the Larger Good, while Overlord is pretty clearly doing it for his own ego.

I guess if I'm dissatisfied about anything, it's the lack of real depth to Overlord. He's kind of thin sado-psychopath to me. I mean, we never really get (or else it's subtle and my allergy-med-raddled brain can't find it) a legitimate reason why HE of all the Phase Sixers has such a...glitch about Megatron.

(I'm not spoilering any of this because I think by this point, y'all have covered the main and I'm onto analysis).

I didn't like Verity and that line about how the 'humans don't need us to look after you, it's the other way around' was a major *headdesk* for me. Seriously?

HK, Lolwut: charge of the light brigade?
cybercat
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby minimus-minor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Motto: ""Ion blasts of death are the right of all sentient beings who oppose me." [A more accurate version of Optimus Prime's catchphrase.]"
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
Sorry for coming in late. Anyway, got it read it and loved it. More in-depth reaction at *link removed*
"Ion blasts of death are the right of all sentient beings who oppose me." [A more accurate version of Optimus Prime's catchphrase.]
minimus-minor
Mini-Con
News Credits: 4
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 10+
Endurance: 2
Courage: 1
Firepower: Infinity

Postby King Henrik » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Motto: ""It doesn't matter what you ask, it's who you're asking""
Weapon: Battle Blades
King Henrik wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:

Not that I know of.

sorry to drag this back up again, but i was re-reading devastation today and i totally forgot about megatron's spoken code to shut off sixshot. Being that they are both "phase sixers" i assume that was overlord's weakness to megatron that shockwave removed. Love nick and james attention to detail!
King Henrik
Fuzor
News Credits: 5
Strength: 3
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7

Postby Tigertrack » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:44 am

Nice find, I bet you are correct.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ADVENTURE COMICS #260 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC263 (CA) Swan + Kaye"
ADVENTURE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN BEYOND #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC801 1A (CA) Timm"
BATMAN BEYOND #1 F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC268 5A (CA) Kane (W) Finger"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #141 Facsimile 2023 ptg foil Marvel Comics SEP230776 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #141 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #141 Facsimile 2023 ptg Marvel Comics SEP230775 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #141 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRON MAN #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230609 (W) Goodwin (A/CA) Colan"
IRON MAN #1 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile var foil Marvel Comics 2024 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC272 1A (CA) Peter"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Limited Series Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2023 OCT230691 Miller"
WOLVERINE #1 Limit ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Facsimile 1:25 Marvel Comics 2024 ptg JAN240733 Bradshaw 240317E"
NEW!
WOLVERINE #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230684 (W) Mantlo (CA) Miller"
ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GREEN LANTERN #87 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1223DC211 (CA) Adams"
NEW!
GREEN LANTERN #87 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #181 Facsimile Edition Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 0323DC160 181A"
BATMAN #181 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC273 1C"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Quake and Chasm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON