This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby 3.8TransAM » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Seriously?

Hell no.

People probably want Geoff Senior to draw it again to so we get some extra craptastic in there while we are at it.

Okay, Furman created the Wreckers, I actually like that.

People will jump in there and tell me how great "The Matrix Quest" was, it had been done before as well, remember "Mob Dick"

I'm all out of ideas now what should we do? Oh yeah, Bee, Grim and Jazz are gonna meet Primus so we can have 2 gods fighting at the dawn of time can crash their bodies into asteroids that become mechanized planets later.............................

This makes the G1 cartoon writing look like Shakespear

Never liked the late G1 stuff after it got into say 73 on and the whole area around Matrix Quest. So I can admit there was some good and bad and Wildman's art was a lot better back than then in the War Within stuff he did later.

If I wanted to see something continued, it would be Dreamwave G1, name anything better than the second Transformers series they did before their ongoing.

Simple rules to help any new series:
1) the robots are the centerpiece not humans
2) the ones who will keep the book alive don't want bay-formers
3) adhere to rewriting the history in grand fashion or do it acknowledging what was prior (the fans are intelligent somewhat)
4) do something well and do it consistently not every other issue or mini series
5) I don't care about what u did in the past, do it good now
Watching since episode 1 aired in 84
Reading since #4 released in 84
GM for life.
If it's not G1 it's not canon
Da Bears
3.8TransAM
Combiner

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby El Duque » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
It looks like Simon Furman isn't the only Transformer comic veteran who would be interested in continuing Marvel's G1 run. Artist Andrew Wildman shared his thoughts on his blog, Wildwords.

I came up with the gist of an idea and put it to Simon. He ran with it and things began to take shape. What was clear was that it fitted well into the continuity of our old Marvel run. IDW agreed that there is precedent for this with the fact that GI Joe recently picked up on Larry Hama‘s old Marvel story threads. So. An idea took shape and we almost had it until the current economic siutation put the breaks on it.

To read what else he had to say on the subject click here. He also provides a link to an online petition for those who want to show their support.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby fenrir72 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Call it what you will but the preconceived mythos of G1 is and always will be the BEST.

A cosmic civil war, alien beings crashing for 40 thousand millennium on the earth, awakening in the 80's...........priceless.

I may be the minority here but IDW's current story thrust sucks big time! Heck, despite all its criticism, DW's G1 storyline was much more interesting and not confusing. So Mr. Furman, I wish you all god speed in this endeavor :APPLAUSE:
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Angelus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 am

Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

90% of the Transformers comic readers, except for the movie-verse comics, are the ones that are looking for some G1 nostalgia!
DW got the (most of) the characters right and an interesting story. IDW just cannot seem to get the characters right next to making up an intersting story. Or they are just hellbent on getting 'their' G1 version sold. I have news for you: It is not!
I enjoy the comics and I will keep buying them, don't worry... but it is just not 'it'.

However long the continuation will run, just let it end with Megatron and Ratchet crashing together. This way the Classics comic still fits... ;-)
Angelus
Mini-Con

Postby Rated X » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
I have a few of these TF comics from my childhood. Im not really into comics that much. I Always hated that they couldnt keep the super hero crap out of the Transformers world. They had to add stupid characters like "The Robot Master" "Circut Breaker" and "The Mechanic" in the mix.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Cyberstrike » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Angelus wrote:Yes, please!

90% of the Transformers comic readers, except for the movie-verse comics, are the ones that are looking for some G1 nostalgia!
DW got the (most of) the characters right and an interesting story. IDW just cannot seem to get the characters right next to making up an intersting story. Or they are just hellbent on getting 'their' G1 version sold. I have news for you: It is not!
I enjoy the comics and I will keep buying them, don't worry... but it is just not 'it'.

However long the continuation will run, just let it end with Megatron and Ratchet crashing together. This way the Classics comic still fits... ;-)

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostigla book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Skill: 5

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
I just wish they'd quit trying to add Movie styling to the character designs. Don's "old man" faces were driving me insane, yet he's one of my favorite G1-style artists and had damn good designs with Dreamwave. Of course, I also REALLY like Nick Roche's cartoony stylings, so go figure…
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Speed: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Cyberstrike wrote:

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostigla book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.

The pre=AHM was a new and exciting direction. Now... it's not. And rather dumb, too.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby Starscream GaGa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Motto: ""I'm a free Decepti-bitch, baby!""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Andrew Wildman as the artist? Oh dear...
Starscream GaGa
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby fenrir72 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Quite surprising! In another forum where I also am the member, a lot of the controlling freaks 8-} errrrr staff members immediately shout you down when you voice disappointment with IDWs botched job on the G1 story arc.

IDW just seem to be at a loss in steering G1.Heck, they can't even keep a standard look on the 'bots. But the Marvel arc, for all its fault to me was the golden age of TF story telling (okay the Furman years)as Budiansky admitted he got already burnt out on the last days of his scripts.

Though this also quite disappointing that you have to recycle previous successful concepts instead of trying something new.

Am I contradicting myself? A bit. In a sense like how DC and to some extent Marvel has to reboot their storyline back to pre-Crisis setting while Marvel has to resort to killing icons left and right to get people to notice (ehem Fantastic Four, Captain America to name a few) but I hope you get my point.

It looks like the actual air/atmosphere of the 80s really fostered creativity and not the rubbish field, bad lingo cr@p we all are experiencing today.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby moritron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Motto: "don't let the turkey's get you down, you gotta fly like an eagle, not be like a turkey..."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
marvel's transformers was a mess when it ended, the idw continuity is getting bad as well. they should reboot the ongoing, and have it continue the dreamwave storyline. the dreamwave story was just getting good when they closed shop. idw always claimed they couldn't use marvel or dreamwave stuff, but if they can use marvel, they should be able to use dreamwave.
moritron
Mini-Con
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Seibertron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
moritron wrote:marvel's transformers was a mess when it ended, the idw continuity is getting bad as well. they should reboot the ongoing, and have it continue the dreamwave storyline. the dreamwave story was just getting good when they closed shop. idw always claimed they couldn't use marvel or dreamwave stuff, but if they can use marvel, they should be able to use dreamwave.

I've always gotten the impression that it's more to do with they don't want to than they can't. Can't say I blame them ... I'd probably want to leave my own mark as well instead of continuing someone else's stuff.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Skill: 10+

Postby Burn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Can you blame them? Who'd want to touch something that had been touched by Pat Lee.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Seibertron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
fenrir72 wrote:Quite surprising! In another forum where I also am the member, a lot of the controlling freaks 8-} errrrr staff members immediately shout you down when you voice disappointment with IDWs botched job on the G1 story arc.

IDW just seem to be at a loss in steering G1.Heck, they can't even keep a standard look on the 'bots. But the Marvel arc, for all its fault to me was the golden age of TF story telling (okay the Furman years)as Budiansky admitted he got already burnt out on the last days of his scripts.

I might disagree with members here about their opinions, but you guys are also more than welcome to disagree with me ... so long as everything stays civil. I would never shout someone down if I disagreed with them.

As for IDW, I feel guilty being this blunt ... but I've never been a fan of their approach. I buy the books every month, but I do it just to support having Transformers comics. The writing has been sub-par (though I feel that way about most comics I've flipped through over the past decade). The redesigns have been completely unnecessary. I get tired of seeing Transformers change bodies like X-Men change outfits. I read all of their books every month but have no idea what's going on. I'm just not into these stories. I read them just to read them ... with the slight hope that somehow all will be made right at some point. Where's "Crisis on Infinite Cybertrons" when you need it?

Something's wrong when I look forward more to reading through the old Marvel UK comics for the first time, including the recycled Marvel US books, than I do reading the IDW books (it's fun reading the books in the order in which the UK received them, even though I'm grew up on the Marvel US books). I've read straight through issue 90 or something through issue 201. I'm waiting to find a good deal on issue 202 so that I can continue forward with the next 30 or so books that I own.

The main Transformers comic book should tie-in with some form of a toyline. I've read that the Marvel G1 writers hated having to introduce new characters every issue, but as a consumer of Transformers products, I think that's how this brand is best served in comic book form. At a minimum, the characters in the comics should reflect their most recent look as a toy. IDW's Bumblebee should have his Hasbro Classics body. Optimus Prime should have his Classics body. Drift's toy is a perfect example of the comics and toys working together. Jazz should have his RTS body now. I'd like to see Hasbro and IDW work together on some level to figure out how to work this out so it benefits both of them.

I don't like that the Transformers comics have not directly promoted the toys pretty much since the end of the Marvel G1 comics. G2 didn't, and I was disappointed. Dreamwave didn't, but it gave us so much fan-wank that I didn't care (other than strongly disliking some of the poor artwork from them), and IDW doesn't promote the toys directly either which I think is a huge mistake. There's just something really awesome about holding a physical representation of a character that you follow in a comic book. Somehow that got lost with the Transformers. I wish everyone would stop treating the Transformers comic book like its not there to promote a toy.

The sole purpose of the comics should be to promote the toys, and it should be up to the very talented people behind the books to figure out how to weave the promotion of those toys into a coherent story that is entertaining and enjoyable.

On a sidenote, I keep thinking that it'd be awesome to have a mini-comic strip here on Seibertron.com that appeared monthly or weekly (depending on the format). I started Seibertron.com 11 years ago because I wanted to showcase my Transformers artwork. I never got around to that part of it but it's still something I'd like to accomplish with this site. If I ever did a comic now, I think I would try to do it the way I think these comics should be done ... to promote the toys. I think I'd even go so far as to style the artwork off the toys themselves, to the best of my ability. If a character hasn't received a toy yet under the Classics line, I wouldn't include them or if I had to include them they'd have their old bodies with the assumption that they'd get a future update. Fun plot twists could be ongoing stories like Grimlock dealing with his Dinobots being kept as Decepticon prisoners at an unknown location (which would eliminate the need to do Dinobots until Hasbro makes more hopefully). Trailbreaker, Huffer, and Gears could be deactivated patients of Ratchet. Octane and Astrotrain could be on a quest to find Blitzwing who was lost in a battle with the Autobots on another planet. Wreck-Gar could be stranded with some Earthbound Autobots trying to get back to Planet Junk to reunited with his fellow Junkions. Galvatron and Megatron could be two separate characters, with Galvatron plotting to gain control over the Decepticons ... or I could go for the classic idea of a future Galvatron coming to the present. A fun current story would be to do something with Rumble/Frenzy and Windcharger since they're current figures.

Just something I keep tossin' around in my head every time I pick up a Transformers comic I dislike.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Skill: 10+

Postby fenrir72 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 am

@ seibertron.

on IDW: I agree with you 100% Why did they have to mess around with the series' foundation/mythos? And the appearance change, wtf?! AHM was a prime example, how do you explain 2000 Raptors suddenly devolving to F-15s? And the current attempts to meld in real world events with fiction, I mean, come on???????

I'm for treading into new grounds but this is like a rudderless jaunt.

The saving grace was Last Stand of the Wreckers, though that imho was like a microcosm with their kill all the unknown characters theme.......reminded me of the World War II themed suicide squad movie by Telly Savalas and Ernest Borgnine (forgot it's title)

DW

Full of fan wank, but they didn't mess with the main mythos, just embellished them good. If only Pat Lee wasn't such a slime ball and paid the talents their due, who knows what would have been accomplished. Brad Myck, Don F,Guido G,Furman,Ng and the rest, boy was their jaunt memorable.

In reality, not just for the Transformers, nearly every pop culture based icons are or should I say have reached their peak. Did that, done that already. Always trying to re-invent themselves by either getting nastier,edgier, turning a Caucasian character into a different skin color or going into the gay/lez theme. Why can't they stick to their roots and just write good stories and not recycle tired old themes.

This might bleed into the toy section but ever wondered why the majority of the G1 themed homages of characters keep getting resurrected?

They may have been called differently but there was a Jazz homaged fig in Galaxyforce, Wheeljack in form in Superlink or best yet, United/RTS/Generations. A lot of the younger fans of G1 know less than nothing of the 80's characters (well with the advent of DVD compilations and youtube, a lot have become familiar with them more or less) and yet they still sell like hotcakes. Why? Maybe the 80s crew (Hasbro/Sunbow/Takara/Marvel)just did things right. Nothing PC (Carbombya? :lol: ),belief suspension(mass shifting)a lot of plot holes, but what we saw back then was 80s plain old adulterated capitalism in selling glorified action figures.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby The Legend » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm

fenrir72 wrote:The saving grace was Last Stand of the Wreckers, though that imho was like a microcosm with their kill all the unknown characters theme.......reminded me of the World War II themed suicide squad movie by Telly Savalas and Ernest Borgnine (forgot it's title)

The Dirty Dozen.

I wonder if those knocking the late Marvel run have read the UK run or just the US run? The UK run had a hell of a lot of extra material that bridged what was released in the US so it made a lot more sense. Plus they were fantastic reads on their own.
I'd support Simon and Andy continuing what they started even as a webcomic. It would make me hapier if it was drawn and coloured in the same style as the Marvel run, I'm not a huge fan of modern comics trying to make every pannel look like a work of art at the expense of carrying stories and conveying action.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Cyber Bishop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
I would be down for this..
However some things have to be answered..

Would the G2 comics some how eventually be re-incorporated into this continued series OR would the happenings in the G2 comics be completely washed away.

There are a LOT of cons and bots that are dead so getting a fees-able "cast" may be a little difficult unless new transformers were introduced (maybe some repaired?) or some kind of time travel was done to wipe out Unicron before he attacked Cybertron to keep all of the bots and cons alive (instead of killing them off just for the sake to kill them).
If I remember correctly there were still a lot of robots that were off line due to Starscream in issue 50..

We know that Megatron was rebuilt by Cobra, so would they just have him show back up and defeat Bludgeon (if they completely skip the G2 storyline)?
Galvatron was just thrown in icy water so he could come back and lead...
So many possibilities.

A lot of things happened from the end of G1 to G2 and that is a big mess to clear up..

Of course they could do a "1 year later" kind of thing that explains how so many robots on both sides have returned (being repaired).
Not a sheeple.
Think for yourself, don't let the magic TV box and social media do the thinking for you.
Question EVERYTHING!!
Just because you have a youtube review channel doesn't make you special.
No, I am not friendly online or in real life.
I look forward to attending a Botcon only to settle matters with idiots in person.
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 103
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Postby Angelus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

Love to read a reply by IDW on this...
Angelus
Mini-Con

Postby Cyberstrike » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 am

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostalgia book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.

The pre=AHM was a new and exciting direction. Now... it's not. And rather dumb, too.

Nope. All of Furman's Pre-AHM was glorified mash-up of past incarnations that made zero sense to me like Nemesis Prime merging universes and the Autobots speaking in Star Trek-esque technobabble and everything else was IMHO pure 100% crap especially the kids, The Reapers, Ore-13, The Darkness, a dead Cybertron, The Dead Universe, The Dynobots, Sunstreaker as a headmaster, The Machination, Skywatch, and you get the idea.

The only 2 good things were Galvatron not being an insane jacked-up future version of Megatron and Sixshot.

After reading all the Furman IDW TPBs I found myself actually HATING The Transformers as a whole and comics in general as well. So I went into a two-year self-imposed exile from comics as well.

It wasn't until I read All Hail Megatron TPB vol. 1 when I got through with it I couldn't wait to see what happened next and it was thrilling being able to feel that sensation again and it's the same with ongoing. It was All Hail Megatron that made me fall in love with The Transformers and comics in general again. Because McCarty and Costa actually make me CARE about the characters and what is going to happen to them and that is something Furman has NEVER made me feel ever.

Yeah I've enjoyed Furman's work but it's in the past with Marvel US/UK he hasn't written a decent Transformers story since G2 #12. I don't remember anything out of WWI other than the Fallen being introduced in one of the series and if weren't for The Revenge of the Fallen I doubt I would even remember it. I got all the Marvel US comics and all but one of the Titan TPBs (If anyone out there got a copy of the Titan The Transformers: Earthforce TPB they don't want PM me and we'll talk) in easy reach so if I need a Furman fix I can get one not have to waste my money and my time on this cheap KO crappy work he did at DW and IDW.

IMHO Furman's day is over, he needs to leave the franchise for good. Now I love Peter David's writing but I don't want him being the only guy to write The Incredible Hulk until the day that he dies, because it denies others to show different takes on the characters which might even be better than his take and the same with Furman. IMHO if The Transformers are to have a future in comics then IMHO Furman needs to go and stay GONE, because he's at best now a nostalgia act and at worse he comes off as a crappy one-trick pony kind of writer.

So in closing: with Shane McCarthy and Mike Costa I get emotionally involved with the characters and actually want to read the book, with Furman I don't care for the characters and I don't want to read the book. And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster

Postby The Legend » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 am

Cyberstrike wrote:And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

Which is the reason I stopped buying IDW's Ongoing earlier this year after over 20 years of buying every G1 related comic released.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Cyberstrike » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

The Legend wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

Which is the reason I stopped buying IDW's Ongoing earlier this year after over 20 years of buying every G1 related comic released.

Your loss, not mine.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 am

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Cyberstrike wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostalgia book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.

Nope. All of Furman's Pre-AHM was glorified mash-up of past incarnations that made zero sense to me like Nemesis Prime merging universes and the Autobots speaking in Star Trek-esque technobabble and everything else was IMHO pure 100% crap especially the kids, The Reapers, Ore-13, The Darkness, a dead Cybertron, The Dead Universe, The Dynobots, Sunstreaker as a headmaster, The Machination, Skywatch, and you get the idea.

The only 2 good things were Galvatron not being an insane jacked-up future version of Megatron and Sixshot.

After reading all the Furman IDW TPBs I found myself actually HATING The Transformers as a whole and comics in general as well. So I went into a two-year self-imposed exile from comics as well.

It wasn't until I read All Hail Megatron TPB vol. 1 when I got through with it I couldn't wait to see what happened next and it was thrilling being able to feel that sensation again and it's the same with ongoing. It was All Hail Megatron that made me fall in love with The Transformers and comics in general again. Because McCarty and Costa actually make me CARE about the characters and what is going to happen to them and that is something Furman has NEVER made me feel ever.

Yeah I've enjoyed Furman's work but it's in the past with Marvel US/UK he hasn't written a decent Transformers story since G2 #12. I don't remember anything out of WWI other than the Fallen being introduced in one of the series and if weren't for The Revenge of the Fallen I doubt I would even remember it. I got all the Marvel US comics and all but one of the Titan TPBs (If anyone out there got a copy of the Titan The Transformers: Earthforce TPB they don't want PM me and we'll talk) in easy reach so if I need a Furman fix I can get one not have to waste my money and my time on this cheap KO crappy work he did at DW and IDW.

IMHO Furman's day is over, he needs to leave the franchise for good. Now I love Peter David's writing but I don't want him being the only guy to write The Incredible Hulk until the day that he dies, because it denies others to show different takes on the characters which might even be better than his take and the same with Furman. IMHO if The Transformers are to have a future in comics then IMHO Furman needs to go and stay GONE, because he's at best now a nostalgia act and at worse he comes off as a crappy one-trick pony kind of writer.

So in closing: with Shane McCarthy and Mike Costa I get emotionally involved with the characters and actually want to read the book, with Furman I don't care for the characters and I don't want to read the book. And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

What, are you kidding me? It was fresh-it was a different take on the same old, same old. The Great War was epic. We got explanations for gender! I loved the kids! It was cool to see Earth not as the frontline of the Great War but a backwater until Ore-13. I'm glad Unicron and Primus weren't involved. The designs were updates but still G1.

I don't know what the problem with the 'Dynobots' were. Don't care either. Sunstreaker as a Headmaster was an interesting take on his character, too. Most vain of the Ark crew having to share a mind, heh.

AHM took that, trashed it and now we either have no explanation for what happened or moronic ones. I haven't bought any of those books and don't intend to. My gain, your loss.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby The Legend » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:03 am

Cyberstrike wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Your loss, not mine.

Not really, I stopped spending my hard earned money on something that I didn't enjoy that was getting steadily worse. Many others have done the same. Let's not turn this thread in to another 'Ongoing sucks!' thread, there are plenty of those already and they never end well.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
The Legend wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Your loss, not mine.

Not really, I stopped spending my hard earned money on something that I didn't enjoy that was getting steadily worse. Many others have done the same. Let's not turn this thread in to another 'Ongoing sucks!' thread, there are plenty of those already and they never end well.

You handled that response better than I would've…

The missed point is no one is saying Furman to take over IDW TF. GIJoe ARAH by Hama is in addition to their separate continuities. I hate Hama's later GI Joe stuff and so ignore the "new" ARAH but read the other IDW books. no one is going to please all the fans all the time, so why not spread the wealth? Isn't that why there's a Bay, TFA, United/Generations, and forth-coming Prime line of toys (though admittedly Hasbro finds it difficult to run them all in smaller bits simultaneously instead of mass pushes with huge gaps)?
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Firepower: 10

Postby Cyberstrike » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:46 pm

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

What, are you kidding me? It was fresh-it was a different take on the same old, same old. The Great War was epic. We got explanations for gender! I loved the kids! It was cool to see Earth not as the frontline of the Great War but a backwater until Ore-13. I'm glad Unicron and Primus weren't involved. The designs were updates but still G1.

I don't know what the problem with the 'Dynobots' were. Don't care either. Sunstreaker as a Headmaster was an interesting take on his character, too. Most vain of the Ark crew having to share a mind, heh.

AHM took that, trashed it and now we either have no explanation for what happened or moronic ones. I haven't bought any of those books and don't intend to. My gain, your loss.

The difference between you and me is that I don't want 'a different take on the same old, same old." I wanted something new and fresh. Furman didn't deliver it Shane McCarthy and Mike Costa did and do on monthly basis.

As too other points:
What Great War? There were nothing of a war just a small set of Autobots and Decepticons hiding on Earth and on other planets doing nothing. I didn't give a damn about the Decepticons meddling in politics if Megatron wanted to take over the world he should have just bought the planet from a group of Neo-Conseratives.

You mean the "Straxus, Jixhaus, (or whoever it was) did it just to if he could" was one stupidest things I read from in any comic.

Hunter was a cliche. Verity was annoying (If Overlord had stepped on Verity and killed her in The Last Stand of the Wreckers that would been a classic secene) and Jimmy was nothing.

IMHO Sunstreaker is a lame character to begin with. The DW version showing that he was possible sociopath was one few ideas that I liked from DW-era. Now had the DW version of Sunstreaker had been used, then it would have been a possible great story.

Furman's overuse of Grimlock and the Dinobots over the years has taken away any interest that I might have once had for the characters.

AHM was a breath of fresh air on what was becoming a boring and stale book.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr N 1:15 action figure Dynamite Comics 2024 FEB240201 3N"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #131 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 MAY221561 131RI Ninja Turtles (CA) Mercado"
TMNT #131 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #8 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 OCT231360 8B (CA) Hymel"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #149 Cvr B IDW Comics 2024 JAN241248 149B Turtles Ongoing (CA) Eastman"
NEW!
TMNT #149 Cvr B ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #2 Cvr F 1:25 Boom Studios Comics NOV220378 2F Eastman + Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #2 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr J Blank Authentix (White) Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230212 1J"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ZF FOC 1:15 virgin Dynamite Comics JAN247376 2ZF (CA) Liefeld"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr K 1:10 design Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240115 2K (CA) Moss"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #4 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 OCT221763 4C (CA) Chi"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 JUN231486 4B (CA) Cardy"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #149 Cvr A IDW Comics 2024 JAN241247 149A Turtles Ongoing (CA) Federici"
NEW!
TMNT #149 Cvr A ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT X STRANGER THINGS #2 Cvr D IDW Comics 2023 JUN231495 2D (CA) Gorham"
TMNT X STRANGER TH ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #1 RI 1:100 IDW Comics JUN229279 1F RI (CA) Deodato"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #148 Cvr A IDW Comics 2024 DEC231060 148A Turtles Ongoing (CA) Federici"
TMNT #148 Cvr A ID ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Protectobot Groove Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON