This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Challenge of The Gobots: The Original Mini-Series (Remastered) Pre-Order

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Challenge of The Gobots: The Original Mini-Series (Remastered) Pre-Order

Postby El Duque » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Good news for all you Gobots fans out there, WBShop.com has listed a pre-order for Challenge of The Gobots: The Original Mini-Series (Remastered)! Priced at $14.95 scheduled for release May 17th 2011.

CHALLENGE OF THE GOBOTS: THE ORIGINAL MINI-SERIES (1984) From Gobotron to your home, it's the original 5 episode mini-series that brought the GoBots to life. When Cy-kill embarks on his mad quest to conquer the galaxy starting with Earth, only Leader-1 and his band of Guardians stands in his way. The mini-series that launched a legend! Newly remastered from original film elements, Challenge of the GoBots has NEVER looked this good. See example below.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Challenge of The Gobots: The Original Mini-Series (Remastered) Pre-Order

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Motto: "Small things aren't worth being mad over."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
Hopefully there's not going to be a "Gobotron Space Cube" that shows us the computer enhanced episodes of Challenge Of The Gobots. Still though, I think I might just grab this when it comes out, I liked Gobots and I had recently watched a few episodes on u-tube!

Still waiting for some real Transformers/Gobots crossover.
TheLocalBard! My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TheLocalBard

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander
News Credits: 18
Alt Mode: Transmetal Insect and Helicopter
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:Hopefully there's not going to be a "Gobotron Space Cube" that shows us the computer enhanced episodes of Challenge Of The Gobots.
I think your confusing "remaster" with "reversion". The G2 cartoon was a "reversion" of the G1 toon. What Kid Rhino and Shout! Factory did with their G1 DVDs was a "remaster".
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Rated X » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Damn I forgot everything about this cartoon. I wanna check it out.

Also, the classics Ramjet mold would make a great Fitor.

Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Seibertron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:35 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
You know what I'm most interested in seeing about these DVDs? The copyrights on the back of the packaging and whether or not Hasbro's involved.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Wheeljack35 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:26 am

Is this the only place this will be available?
Wheeljack35
City Commander
News Credits: 26
Watch Wheeljack35 on YouTube

Postby Dead Metal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:09 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Seibertron wrote:You know what I'm most interested in seeing about these DVDs? The copyrights on the back of the packaging and whether or not Hasbro's involved.

I daub that Hasbro's involved, if I remember correctly Tonka wasn't as smart as Hasbro was and never had ownership over the cartoon or the cartoon characters, they basically singed off all rights concerning the cartoon to Hanna Barbara.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Dead Metal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:12 am

Seibertron wrote:You know what I'm most interested in seeing about these DVDs? The copyrights on the back of the packaging and whether or not Hasbro's involved.

I daub that Hasbro's involved, if I remember correctly Tonka wasn't as smart as Hasbro was and never had ownership over the cartoon or the cartoon characters, they basically singed off all rights concerning the cartoon to Hanna Barbara.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby RiddlerJ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:20 am

Rated X wrote:Damn I forgot everything about this cartoon. I wanna check it out.

Also, the classics Ramjet mold would make a great Fitor.

Oh geesh, I might actually have to get this.

I agree about Fitor. I think RTS Wreck gar could be remolded into a workable Cy-kill
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby Bumblevivisector » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 am

I heard Shout!'s going to do a complete box set with everything except the Rock Lords movie, so I'll be waiting for that.

Odd to hear myself say that, as it means picking up GoBots before getting around to Voltron, but I was stalling off to get the uncut GoLion first; did that ever materialize?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 am

Motto: "Roll out!"
Who are the Gobots? The only thing I know about them is the fact they are kinda rip-offs of the Transformers

Thanks for BeastProwl fixing the link!
Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: ???

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 am

Who are the Gobots? The only thing I know about them is the fact they are kinda rip-offs of the Transformers

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 am

Motto: "Small things aren't worth being mad over."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
godzillabot wrote:Who are the Gobots? The only thing I know about them is the fact they are kinda rip-offs of the Transformers

GoBots was a Hanna Barbara cartoon (the same guys who made the yogi bear and flintstones cartoons) about robots that turned into vehicles. Basically the same thing as Transformers except the cartoon was alot goofier. They also came shortly before transformers. Except whatever Hanna Barbara did with GoBots, Hasbro just did better.
TheLocalBard! My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TheLocalBard

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander
News Credits: 18
Alt Mode: Transmetal Insect and Helicopter
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 3
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby Joetx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 am

Bumblevivisector wrote:I heard Shout!'s going to do a complete box set with everything except the Rock Lords movie, so I'll be waiting for that.

I hope you're right.

Unlike a lot of TF fans, I don't hate the Gobots. Some of the designs were better than some of the TF designs.
Joetx
Fuzor

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 am

Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:
godzillabot wrote:Who are the Gobots? The only thing I know about them is the fact they are kinda rip-offs of the Transformers

GoBots was a Hanna Barbara cartoon (the same guys who made the yogi bear and flintstones cartoons) about robots that turned into vehicles. Basically the same thing as Transformers except the cartoon was alot goofier. They also came shortly before transformers. Except whatever Hanna Barbara did with GoBots, Hasbro just did better.

Okay scratch that off the buy list, thanks for the info! :D

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 am

Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:

Okay scratch that off the buy list, thanks for the info! :D

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:50 am

Why is everybody double posting?

Why is everybody double posting? :P

Anyway,
Bumblevivisector wrote:Odd to hear myself say that, as it means picking up GoBots before getting around to Voltron, but I was stalling off to get the uncut GoLion first; did that ever materialize?
Yes it did. And now, the Vehicle Voltron DVD are available as well.

In addition to what FoI said, the GoBots cartoon was based off the toyline of the same name, which was then owned by Tonka (before they were bought out and owned by Hasbro). Like how Hasbro took toys from Takara's Diaclone line and their New Microman Micro Change subline, Tonka did a similar thing in creating the GoBots toyline. Tonka took toys from Bandai's Machine Robo toyline to be used as GoBots.

Here's the theme song of the Tonka Gobots cartoon:

However, the GoBots series was not as successful as the Transformers for at least two reasons. One is what FoI said, it was a goofy fun series while the Transformers had more of a cooler edge to it (compared to the GoBots, that is). Two is that, while Takara decided to drop Diaclone and Micro Change to instead work with Hasbro to get in on the action of the Transformers in Japan, Bandai and Tonka, however, chose to keep their toylines separate. Machine Robo in Japan was wholly idfferent from GoBots in America. And because the two didn't work to support each other like how Hasbro and Takara had begun to, GoBots died out while Machine Robo had its own following in Japan.

However, the name "GoBots" would not stay dead forever. After having acquired Tonka at some point, Hasbro started using the name in a few Transformers toylines. Generation 2 had an Autobot figure named "Gobots" (lowercase B, and he was one guy), and later had a Hot Wheels-sized subgroup of figures called "Go-Bots" (dash capital B) that would later be called "Spychangers " in later toylines like RiD. Then, Hasbro would later launch a Playskool Transformers line circa 2002 called "Go-Bots" (dash capital B again) or affectionately called "Go-Go-Go-Bots" due to its four-episode cartoon's catchy theme song.

Here's the theme song of the short-lived Playskool Go-Bots cartoon:

Then Takara would pay homage to the old GoBots cartoon by creating some G1 Gobots redecoed out of six Autobot Mini-Vehicles, and later fiction involving these six would indicate them to actually be the six GoBot characters that they represent, having crossed over from their cartoon's world in the world of the Transformers. And what's more, the Transforemrs Animated AllSpark Almanac II would later go on to retcon the old GoBots cartoon as actually having been a Transformers series, giving it the universal stream identifier of Gargent 984.08 Alpha, with "Gargent" being the name of the GoBots franchise universe (like how "Primax" refers to G1, "Viron" refers to RiD, "Aurex" the Unicron Trilogy, "Tyran" the live action movies, "Malgus" Animated, etc. etc.).

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Why is everybody double posting?

Why is everybody double posting? :P

Anyway,
Bumblevivisector wrote:Odd to hear myself say that, as it means picking up GoBots before getting around to Voltron, but I was stalling off to get the uncut GoLion first; did that ever materialize?
Yes it did. And now, the Vehicle Voltron DVD are available as well.

In addition to what FoI said, the GoBots cartoon was based off the toyline of the same name, which was then owned by Tonka (before they were bought out and owned by Hasbro). Like how Hasbro took toys from Takara's Diaclone line and their New Microman Micro Change subline, Tonka did a similar thing in creating the GoBots toyline. Tonka took toys from Bandai's Machine Robo toyline to be used as GoBots.

Here's the theme song of the Tonka Gobots cartoon:

However, the GoBots series was not as successful as the Transformers for at least two reasons. One is what FoI said, it was a goofy fun series while the Transformers had more of a cooler edge to it (compared to the GoBots, that is). Two is that, while Takara decided to drop Diaclone and Micro Change to instead work with Hasbro to get in on the action of the Transformers in Japan, Bandai and Tonka, however, chose to keep their toylines separate. Machine Robo in Japan was wholly idfferent from GoBots in America. And because the two didn't work to support each other like how Hasbro and Takara had begun to, GoBots died out while Machine Robo had its own following in Japan.

However, the name "GoBots" would not stay dead forever. After having acquired Tonka at some point, Hasbro started using the name in a few Transformers toylines. Generation 2 had an Autobot figure named "Gobots" (lowercase B, and he was one guy), and later had a Hot Wheels-sized subgroup of figures called "Go-Bots" (dash capital B) that would later be called "Spychangers " in later toylines like RiD. Then, Hasbro would later launch a Playskool Transformers line circa 2002 called "Go-Bots" (dash capital B again) or affectionately called "Go-Go-Go-Bots" due to its four-episode cartoon's catchy theme song.

Here's the theme song of the short-lived Playskool Go-Bots cartoon:

Then Takara would pay homage to the old GoBots cartoon by creating some G1 Gobots redecoed out of six Autobot Mini-Vehicles, and later fiction involving these six would indicate them to actually be the six GoBot characters that they represent, having crossed over from their cartoon's world in the world of the Transformers. And what's more, the Transforemrs Animated AllSpark Almanac II would later go on to retcon the old GoBots cartoon as actually having been a Transformers series, giving it the universal stream identifier of Gargent 984.08 Alpha, with "Gargent" being the name of the GoBots franchise universe (like how "Primax" refers to G1, "Viron" refers to RiD, "Aurex" the Unicron Trilogy, "Tyran" the live action movies, "Malgus" Animated, etc. etc.).

I have a habit of double clicking, sorry! Oh my Primus you strike again Sabrblade, I’ve never met anybody so full of neat things about everything! By the way I’m full o’ knowledge as well so if you need to know anything (Which I guess you don’t!) PM me!

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Ultra Markus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons

actually gobots were before transformers as a kid i remember watching gobots before transformers aired for the first time and also getting the toys before seeing transformers in the stores
so really transformers ripped off gobots
I'm glad it worked out that way
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:11 am

Ultra Markus wrote:

actually gobots were before transformers as a kid i remember watching gobots before transformers aired for the first time and also getting the toys before seeing transformers in the stores

Actually when you think about it the Transformers were designed for slightly older kids, while the Gobots were designed for the younger folk

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 am

godzillabot wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:

Actually when you think about it the Transformers were designed for slightly older kids, while the Gobots were designed for the younger folk
Or, maybe they were geared towards the same demographic, but the guys at Marvel and Sunbow just decided to go beyond the norm of kids entertainment, whereas Hanna-Barbera just stuck with what they figured kids would like.

It's as though GoBots represented the classic cartoons of old, while Transformers went for a newer, more developed approach. Though, neither would come close to the revolutionary quality of Batman: TAS. ;)

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 am

Sabrblade wrote:
godzillabot wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:

Or, maybe they were geared towards the same demographic, but the guys at Marvel and Sunbow just decided to go beyond the norm of kids entertainment, whereas Hanna-Barbera just stuck with what they figured kids would like.

It's as though GoBots represented the classic cartoons of old, while Transformers went for a newer, more developed approach. Though, neither would come close to the revolutionary quality of Batman: TAS. ;)

Yup what Sabrblade said :lol:

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Dead Metal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
godzillabot wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:

Yea but that was created with a completely different mindset and purpose. Go-Bots and transformers where created as a cheap and effective way to advertise children's toys to children. Batman TAS however was created just as a show with the concept of "an adult show that's appropriate for children".
Stating that both shows failed to come close to the greatness of Batman TAS, is like stating that the book "The adventures of Huckleberry Finn" fails because it's not as visually stunning as Watchmen.
Two completely different concepts for two different purposes.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Dead Metal wrote:Yea but that was created with a completely different mindset and purpose. Go-Bots and transformers where created as a cheap and effective way to advertise children's toys to children. Batman TAS however was created just as a show with the concept of "an adult show that's appropriate for children".
Stating that both shows failed to come close to the greatness of Batman TAS, is like stating that the book "The adventures of Huckleberry Finn" fails because it's not as visually stunning as Watchmen.
Well, I mean, both GoBots and Transformers were still going about how children's programming was perceived at the time (with TF putting in a little more effort than GoBots). Batman, however, broke that normality and revolutionized how children's programming could be made to be more realistic without completely alienating its younger viewers.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Dead Metal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:Yea but that was created with a completely different mindset and purpose. Go-Bots and transformers where created as a cheap and effective way to advertise children's toys to children. Batman TAS however was created just as a show with the concept of "an adult show that's appropriate for children".
Well, I mean, both GoBots and Transformers were still going about how children's programming was perceived at the time (with TF putting in a little more effort than GoBots). Batman, however, broke that normality and revolutionized how children's programming could be made to be more realistic without completely alienating its younger viewers.

So, Batman TAS wasn't during the same time of Go-Bots and Transformers, those shows where started in 1983/84 while Batman TAS was started in 1992. You know stuff was generally darker, edgier and (apparently) more mature in the 1990s, that's the time Goosebumps was at it's hight, so it's no surprise that Batman TAS was made the way it was. It did revolutionise the whole concept of children's programming, but it didn't do so on it's own, the times and standards changed Batman just proofed cemented it.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #14 var AAPI Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230858 (CA) Lee (W) Percy"
GHOST RIDER #14 va ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #10 Marvel Comics 2023 OCT221092 (CA) Barends (W) Percy (A) Smith"
GHOST RIDER #10 Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #12 Marvel Comics 2023 FEB230837 (CA) Bartel (W) Rowell (A) Genolet"
SHE-HULK #12 Marve ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #2 var X-Gwen Marvel Comics 2022 NOV210850 (CA) Nakayama 240415B"
NEW!
SHE-HULK #2 var X- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #31 Marvel Comics 2021 APR210937 (W) Zdarsky (CA) Checchetto"
DAREDEVIL #31 Marv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PUNISHER #9 Marvel Comics 2023 NOV220831 (CA) Saiz (W) Aaron (A) Saiz + Azaceta"
PUNISHER #9 Marvel ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #6 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2021 OCT210906 (CA) Lubera (W) MacKay"
MOON KNIGHT #6 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Punisher War Journal BASE #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 NOV220999 (CA) Romero"
Punisher War Journ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #7 var Marvel Comics 2022 NOV210903 (W) MacKay (CA) Rahzzah"
MOON KNIGHT #7 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #8 var Miracleman Marvel Comics 2022 SEP221024 (CA) Hitch (W) Percy"
GHOST RIDER #8 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #4 Marvel Comics 2022 AUG220878 (W) Zdarsky (CA) Checchetto"
DAREDEVIL #4 Marve ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PUNISHER #12 var Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230876 (CA) Suayan (A) Saiz (W) Aaron"
PUNISHER #12 var M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COSMIC GHOST RIDER #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 DEC220860 (CA) Stegman"
COSMIC GHOST RIDER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #18 Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230663 (CA) Barends (W) Percy 230926A"
GHOST RIDER #18 Ma ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON