This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Shia LaBeouf Interview: "Megan Fox’s absence changed ‘Transformers’ vibe"

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Shia LaBeouf Interview: "Megan Fox’s absence changed ‘Transformers’ vibe"

Postby El Duque » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
L.A. Time's Hero Complex has published an interview with Shia LaBeouf regarding Transformers DOTM naturally. More specifically the article focuses on the new vibe that was brought to the set when Megan Fox was replaced by Rosie Huntington-Whitely. A couple of excerpts are quoted below, to read the rest of the interview click here.

“Megan developed this Spice Girl strength, this woman-empowerment [stuff] that made her feel awkward about her involvement with Michael, who some people think is a very lascivious filmmaker, the way he films women,” LaBeouf said. “Mike films women in a way that appeals to a 16-year-old sexuality. It’s summer. It’s Michael’s style. And I think [Fox] never got comfortable with it.

“Rosie comes with this Victoria’s Secret background, and she’s comfortable with it, so she can get down with Mike’s way of working and it makes the whole set vibe very different,” LaBeouf said.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Shia LaBeouf Interview: "Megan Fox’s absence changed ‘Transformers’ vibe"

Postby dinogeist » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 am

ODD how megan Fox didn't want to wear any sexy revealing clothes in the TF 2007 & ROTF movie. Also odd how megan didn't want any close up sexy shots. Also odd megan didn't want to play/act as a sex symbol.

IT'S ALL ODD,because in 2 of megan fox's other movies. she played a call girl in JONAX HEX in a overly revealing call girl outfit. then she played a over sex crazed zombie with overly revealing clothes in another movie called "Jennifers body". she even had a lesbian make out scene in "jennifers body" & wore panties & a bra.

To make things ODDER,Megan fox was playing a sex simple role in a syndicated TV show. a similar role to what Christina appelgate played in the "married with childred" TV show.
dinogeist
Godmaster

Postby Blackstreak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
So, Fox is comfortable doing sex scenes in western movies but doesn't like sexy clothes in sci-fi? Ah well, Fox or not I'm still looking forward to this next TF installment.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby SoooTrypticon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

Motto: "If it can't transform into a dinosaur, burn it with lasers."
Weapon: Laser Cannon
Maybe she chose to work on Transformers so she could have a break from doing "Victoria's Secret" style roles. Transformers is supposed to be a family franchise after all.

It's all about tone too. Actors have to trust their directors, especially when they play sex objects like Megan does. If you're going to play roles like that, you hope to work with a director who will treat you with respect and grace, on and OFF camera.

I suspect Bay knows how to do neither.

Also telling is Lebouf's comment that "Now that we have some girl who's used to being nothing but an object of desire for 16 year old boys, (read: "knows her place"), us men can rest easy around the set."

Yes, yes, these films are truly a work of lasting art that deserve money and praise. We should all be proud in supporting them.
Last edited by SoooTrypticon on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not angry... I just hate most things.
SoooTrypticon
Fuzor
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby RiddlerJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

"that appeals to a 16-year-old sexuality"

Isn't that Megan Fox's entire persona?

Actually, I think this is just the publicity machine trying to say "You thought the girls in the first two movies looked slutty, wait til you see what we do with the girls in this one!"
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby juxtapose519 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:16 am

Motto: "Jux: Superior"
Weapon: Arm-Mounted Magnetic-Lock Destabilizer Cannon
If Megan Fox isn't trampy enough for Michael Bay, then that man has some serious issues.
Skywarp for president.
juxtapose519
Minibot
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Sodan-1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

Motto: "Motive is a universal weakness."
deathy wrote:ODD how megan Fox didn't want to wear any sexy revealing clothes in the TF 2007 & ROTF movie. Also odd how megan didn't want any close up sexy shots. Also odd megan didn't want to play/act as a sex symbol.

IT'S ALL ODD,because in 2 of megan fox's other movies. she played a call girl in JONAX HEX in a overly revealing call girl outfit. then she played a over sex crazed zombie with overly revealing clothes in another movie called "Jennifers body". she even had a lesbian make out scene in "jennifers body" & wore panties & a bra.

To make things ODDER,Megan fox was playing a sex simple role in a syndicated TV show. a similar role to what Christina appelgate played in the "married with childred" TV show.

If you look at those two movies, her character is meant to be sexy/slutty/whatever. It's part of who her character is. I doubt Jake Gyllenhaal goes around kissing blokes all day, but he did it for Broke Back Mountain because that was part of the character. In Transformers, Fox was playing the industry mandatory love interest, but it quickly degraded into nothing more than on-screen totty with no real purpose.

And yes, there is a difference between love interest and sex object.
Sodan-1
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 am

Blackstreak wrote:So, Fox is comfortable doing sex scenes in western movies but doesn't like sexy clothes in sci-fi? Ah well, Fox or not I'm still looking forward to this next TF installment.

I never doubted the fact that Megan Fox is a damned hypocrite.

SoooTrypticon wrote:It's all about tone too. Actors have to trust their directors, especially when they play sex objects like Megan does. If you're going to play roles like that, you hope to work with a director who will treat you with respect and grace, on and OFF camera.

I suspect Bay knows how to do neither.

Also telling is Lebouf's comment that "Now that we have some girl who's used to being nothing but an object of desire for 16 year old boys, (read: "knows her place"), us men can rest easy around the set.

I failed to find sexism, especially with Fox's noted hypocracy on the matter. Fox didn't like Bay because of the fact he's a very demanding director during his action scenes and she's a precious little princess who doesn't know how to think of anyone but herself. Lebouf's comments seem to say that Rosie's better at following the director's orders, something any actor must know how to do especially during filming of a movie this complex and dangerous to shoot.

SoooTrypticon wrote:Yes, yes, these films are truly a work of lasting art that deserve money and praise. We should all be proud in supporting them

:roll:
Last edited by Capt.Failure on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby crystalwidow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 am

Weapon: Double-Barreled Assault Missile Launcher
I think that if (Fox) is willing to play the roles she played in Jonah Hex and Jennifers body she cant complain about the type of character she plays in TF, b/c the other roles are far less approprate and if this role bothered her she should have said something earlier.

:BOT: other than that I can't wait for the next installment of the Transformers :BOT:
Sandstorm: "It's time we fought for what we believe in --
our planet, our freedom, our lives!"
crystalwidow
Mini-Con
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby CrimsonPrime » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 am

Huh let's just hope that the character "Carly" isnt slutty.

Still cant wait for TF 3 nonetheless !
CrimsonPrime
Vehicon

Postby SoooTrypticon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:00 am

I failed to find sexism

precious little princess

Wait a minute, I just found it.
SoooTrypticon
Fuzor

Postby SlyTF1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:10 am

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword
I'm just glad she's gone. She was the wort thing about both movies.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity

Postby bthree78 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am

It's funny then that in her new indie movie with Mickey Rourke she plays a topless stripper angel.
bthree78
Mini-Con

Postby krenger99 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 am

CrimsonPrime wrote:Huh let's just hope that the character "Carly" isnt slutty.

You'll be happy to know that in the G1 cartoon, Carly was a genius type girl. There was nothing slutty about her and she went on to be Spike's (Sam) wife and mother of his son, Daniel. When the first movie came out, I initially thought the brainy blonde that broke the code was meant to be her.

krenger99
Minibot
Buy from krenger99 on eBay

Postby Dagon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:57 am

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
SoooTrypticon wrote:Also telling is Lebouf's comment that "Now that we have some girl who's used to being nothing but an object of desire for 16 year old boys, (read: "knows her place"), us men can rest easy around the set."

I find that an unsettling comment as well. I'm not trying to claim some great male mysogonist conspiracy here, but I think the Megan Fox bashing has gone on just a bit too long, and it's crossing over into that Uncomfortable territory.

SoooTrypticon wrote:
I failed to find sexism

precious little princess

In total fairness to Capt. Failure, whos rank of captain I have already questioned today ;) , I understand what the Captain meant, and also acknowledge that SoooTrypticon has removed these lines from their original context.
That being said, it's a terrific example of the 'sexist' nature of the Lebouf interview. Like, it's fine for Shai to say this stuff about Fox, but we're all supposed to ignore and chide people who found the Twins to be on the racist side. The Twins may have implied the folly of racism, but Shai implied sexism. Someone will tell me it's a different thing though, or that I'm white knighting, and that's cool, because people used a similar style of thought to deny/support the Twins. So, as long as we're consistant, I'm good with both sides.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Speed: 2

Postby Dagon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
krenger99 wrote:

You'll be happy to know that in the G1 cartoon, Carly was a genius type girl. There was nothing slutty about her and she went on to be Spike's (Sam) wife and mother of his son, Daniel. When the first movie came out, I initially thought the brainy blonde that broke the code was meant to be her.

The video in you sig is hysterical. I just wanted you to know that.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Speed: 2

Postby SlyTF1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword
krenger99 wrote:

Oh, damn!!! I just thought of this! What if the new TF movie series is a sequel to this series and features Daniel, who is Sam's son!? Ok, now I'm kind of excited that DOTM will be the last of the series, now that I know there is a possibility of it being a continuation rather than a reboot. IDK why I didn't think of this before.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Sodan-1 wrote: If you look at those two movies, her character is meant to be sexy/slutty/whatever. It's part of who her character is. I doubt Jake Gyllenhaal goes around kissing blokes all day, but he did it for Broke Back Mountain because that was part of the character. In Transformers, Fox was playing the industry mandatory love interest, but it quickly degraded into nothing more than on-screen totty with no real purpose.

And yes, there is a difference between love interest and sex object.

Very true. All good points.

crystalwidow wrote:I think that if (Fox) is willing to play the roles she played in Jonah Hex and Jennifers body she cant complain about the type of character she plays in TF, b/c the other roles are far less approprate and if this role bothered her she should have said something earlier.

The difference is she knew what the role was going to involve going in. And being that, there ussualy is a different pay scale associated with it.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
News Credits: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 pm

SoooTrypticon wrote:
I failed to find sexism

precious little princess

Nothing to do with sexism, that's just her personality. If she wasn't that way I'd have no reason to say it.

Don't try to confuse sexism with someone's personality to justify your arguement.

Dagon wrote:In total fairness to Capt. Failure, whos rank of captain I have already questioned today , I understand what the Captain meant, and also acknowledge that SoooTrypticon has removed these lines from their original context.

Hey, somebody has to captain the Failboat. :P

And yeah, love it when people try to spindoctor what I say. :roll:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby RiddlerJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 pm

On an unrelated note,

what the hell is Spice Girl Strength?
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:29 pm

RiddlerJ wrote:On an unrelated note,

What Hollywood thinks makes a strong, independant woman instead of what a strong, independant woman is like in reality? :???:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby craggy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:55 pm

I think you're crediting Shia with more ability to act than I've ever seen him demonstrate. I don't think his comments suggest anything about misogyny or film-making, or even Bay as a director or person. I think he means that instead of a brunette girl, this time there was a blonde girl.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby craggy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 pm

RiddlerJ wrote:On an unrelated note,

an equally un-pc term as Retard Strength, that means the same thing, only wearing a Union Jack dress?
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby SoooTrypticon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Don't try to confuse sexism with someone's personality to justify your arguement.

When you refer to a difficult woman as a "princess" you're being demeaning and sexist. Otherwise you wouldn't use a feminine type to strike an insult.

You could just call her a "jerk."

Nuff said.
SoooTrypticon
Fuzor

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 pm

SoooTrypticon wrote:

When you refer to a difficult woman as a "princess" you're being demeaning and sexist. Otherwise you wouldn't use a feminine type to strike an insult.

You could just call her a "jerk."

Nuff said.

And I've used the same term to describe men before. Now what? :roll:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 OCT230973 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #180 facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg MAY230701 (CA) Trimpe"
INCREDIBLE HULK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GIANT-SIZE SUPER-STARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg OCT230665 Buckler"
GIANT-SIZE SUPER-S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #4 Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2024 JAN240935"
NEW!
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ADVENTURE COMICS #260 Facsimile Cvr B blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC264"
ADVENTURE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #3 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 DEC230719 MSH"
NEW!
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #1 Facsimile DC Comics 2022 ptg 0822DC186 (A/CA) Shuster (W) Siegel"
SUPERMAN #1 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Facsimile 1:25 Marvel Comics 2024 ptg JAN240733 Bradshaw 240317E"
NEW!
WOLVERINE #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GREEN LANTERN #87 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1223DC211 (CA) Adams"
GREEN LANTERN #87 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALL-STAR COMICS #3 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC265 (CA) EE Hibbard"
ALL-STAR COMICS #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #347 facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg NOV220812 (CA) Purves"
INCREDIBLE HULK #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN BEYOND #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC801 1A (CA) Timm"
BATMAN BEYOND #1 F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #123 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC804 123A"
FLASH #123 Facsimi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr C foil DC Comics 2023 0723DC814 1C (CA) Perez"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #349 - Agent of Chaos
Twincast / Podcast #349:
"Agent of Chaos"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 4th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON